Sat, Aug 3, 1:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: Project Fantomette

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 3:19 AM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 4:21 PM

file_349430.jpg

Fantomette is a French super-heroine, created in 1961 and appeared in around 50 books for teenagers. In France she's a celebrity like Batman, but outside the francophone sphere she's not much known.

When i was a child, I did read Fantomette's books while studying French, and now, after many... many years, I have rediscovered her.

My crazy idea: bring her into 21th century creating a Poser character. But I would need informations and help....

I have attached pictures of her costume. Basically this is the recipe for Fantomette:

• A girl around 12 or 14 yo with short black curled hair
  • a cape black and red...
  • ...tied by a gold "F"
  • a yellow costume with a white neck
  • a black cover for the head with a pompom  (the black wool "ball" at the end)
  • the black mask
  • black pants
  • red shoes
  • the belt with her knife

Some of these things would be quite easy to find for free or to buy, but others.... no idea. Some suggestions?

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 3:40 AM

Wasn't there a French-Canadian animation series updating her to 21st C ?  I've watched it some years ago.  She's pretty cool.

Eternal Hobbyist

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 3:51 AM

file_349433.jpg

Yes, there is an animation series, but the spirit of "original" Fantomette has been distorted. The fans don't like it very much.

Besides, the costume has been totally changed, and it is horrible, in my opinion (see picture). I prefer 200% the book version.

Giorgio

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 3:53 AM

file_349434.jpg

This is another picture of what I would like to realize.

Giorgio

BrokenAngel9 ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 4:42 AM

You could try the V3/S3 tunic with a yellow/black texture, one of the facemasks with a black domino texture, and I'm sure there's some fitting Mary-Janes (shoes) around.
PhilC has or had a free cape on his page, that could work, too.
As for the age, maybe one of Thorne's facemorphs might work as well.
There's thousands of free daggers around as well, but I'm at a loss for the head cover, sorry.

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 4:50 AM

Quote - ... but I'm at a loss for the head cover, sorry.

Yes, I was sure that THAT would have been the hard part. I do not remember to have seen something like that around.

Basically it would be a sort of winter wool hat, with a loooooong tail....

Giorgio

BrokenAngel9 ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 5:01 AM

Hmmm, try Runtime DNA, I do remember they had something similar to the hood there...

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 5:19 AM

file_349438.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions...

Ok, let's start with the first step: the girl.

Françoise... I meant, Fantomette... has been well characterized through the years and her face has been descripted in detail, even without her mask. Short black hair with some curls.

Should I start from V3? Or SP3? Which hair is best?

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 9:21 AM

Start with Aiko, she's your best choice for a diminutive character.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 9:27 AM

Quote - Start with Aiko, she's your best choice for a diminutive character.
DPH

Never used her. Isn't she a bit too much cartoonish for a realistic character?

Giorgio

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 12:17 PM

"Isn't she a bit too much cartoonish for a realistic character?"

Not when coupled with her 'Realistic' MT's.  Besides, the character you're after has a definate 'Gamine' look which Aiko can simulate perfectly.
DPH

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Fazzel ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 1:43 PM

Quote - Thanks for the suggestions...

Ok, let's start with the first step: the girl.

Françoise... I meant, Fantomette... has been well characterized through the years and her face has been descripted in detail, even without her mask. Short black hair with some curls.

Should I start from V3? Or SP3? Which hair is best?

If she is supposed to be a young teenage girl why not go with Laura from DAZ?

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=2747&meta=rq

Neyjour ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 4:24 PM

file_349478.jpg

There's a Mask by Maveris in the Free Stuff section at RDNA (www.runtimedna.com)

And for hair, there are a few at DAZ that might work (www.daz3d.com)
Estio Curls
Ginger Hair
Mediterranean Hair

For the character/morph I'd suggest one of Thorne & sarsa's girls, found here in the MarketPlace.  They have packs for a variety of base figures. 

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

Neyjour ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 4:40 PM

file_349479.gif

PhilC has a pair of free Mary Janes for V3: http://www.philc.net/freestuff_archive.htm

Or there's a couple at this site that might work:
http://aw-autospot.com/private/poser/download/index.html
Uwabaki for Vicky
DressShoes for PreSchool

Neyjour ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 4:53 PM

file_349480.jpg

There's a free belt and dagger at GreyLight: http://www.greylight.com/poserclothing.html

In the pictures you've shown us, her pants look more like stockings.  If you're using P5 or P6 you could simply apply a black fabric material to the relevant body parts.  There are quite a few free fabric materials here in the Free Stuff section, at RDNA, and 3DC (www.3dcommune.com)

That's all I can think of for now.  Hope that helps.  😄

Neyjour ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 5:10 PM

file_349481.jpg

One more!

If the "F" is sort of a hanging pendant rather than embroidered into the fabric of her shirt (it's hard to tell in the picture), then you could use the A-Z V2 by spy15 here in the Free Stuff section.

amacord ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 6:23 PM

there´s 2 different types of headcovers on those images: on the first one it looks like a cowl, covering head, neck and chest, the second is a cap strapped under the chin... which one would you prefer? ----anyway, i could make them for you.

an a simple letter like that  "F" is done in a couple of minutes.

although i do not know the books, i am sure it is a very nice project and i´d be happy to help...

A.

Francemi ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 6:30 PM

For the hair I think you should use the Grecian Hair (for V2? V3?). It should resemble Fantomette's hair.

For the tunic and collar, Lina has one very similar to that. The collar is a bit smaller but maybe it could be morphed.

For the hat... I'm quite sure I saw a "Santa's Elf" hat last December that looks just like it down to the pompon. ;o)

Keep us posted!

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

ksabers ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 7:04 PM

file_349500.jpg

> Quote - there´s 2 different types of headcovers on those images: on the first one it looks like a cowl, covering head, neck and chest, the second is a cap strapped under the chin... which one would you prefer? ----anyway, i could make them for you.

Thank you very much! It is a generous offer!

There are two different types of headcovers because, over the years, Fantomette has been drawn by many artists, particularly Jeanne Hives and Josette Stefani, and all of them have put their personal style for the character.

I prefer the "cowl" style, because it has been used for the majority of the books. Let's say that the picture I enclose now (by Matthieu Blanchin) is very close to the "canon" or the "standard", except for the shoes, that should be red and not yellow. But everything else is as it should be.

Giorgio

Porthos ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 7:08 PM

The gel cut hair from DAZ would be nearest to what the character has! :)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 29 July 2006 at 7:13 PM

For the features, my choice = Kobamax's character morphs which look cartoon pretty, and which are not anime / manga pretty .  His commercial teen morphs (which he just release) look good if you want to use the teenage girl figure from DAZ3D.

Looking forward to seeing your work in progress.

: )

Eternal Hobbyist

amacord ( ) posted Sun, 30 July 2006 at 4:22 AM

would be my choice as well.

pls send me a site mail for further correspondence.....

A.

ksabers ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 6:10 AM · edited Mon, 31 July 2006 at 6:25 AM

Email sent, amacord!

Project status: I am experimenting for finding the right look for the character.

Someone suggested to use Laura of the Millennium Teens, but I do not own her and, moreover, I don't know her in terms of compatibility and available accessories. For example, clothes and hair from V3 or SP3 would fit?

My idea would be choosing V3, changing her to small height and applying her "young" body morph. After all, she'll be always clothed, and 99% always with her specific costume, so the body is not very important.

For the face, I am delighted with Thorne/sarsa characters. I just need to find the right one... from the pictures, many are too much "fairy-looking" but others seem quite right. This would be my main expense.

For the costume, I'll use a lot of freebies thanks to your suggestions. I already own the V3 tunic so I'll try to adapt it to my purposes. Just don't know how to make the white "V" collar. Francemi said something about "Lina", but I don't know the reference. Can you give me a link, please?

I hope to show you some pictures in a few days.

Giorgio

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 6:28 AM · edited Mon, 31 July 2006 at 6:29 AM

YT Laura is compatible clothes wise if you have Wardrobe Wizard. [url]http://www.philc.net/WardrobeWizard.htm[/url]  I've converted many outfits for Laura since I got it and it simple and easy to use.  That way, You'd not be locked into one figure to get the achieved look, or clothes.  There is broad support for many many figures.  The can convert any outfit to any supported morphed character.

The problem with many body morphs are that the clothes don't fit any more, unless the morph info is transferred to the clothes.

Wardrobe Wizard has bailed me out of that sinking boat on more than a dozen ocassions!  It's the best $45 USD I ever spent on Poser goodies.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 6:59 AM

For that girlish cartoon-pretty face on V3, consider trying the Miu character for v3, also by Kobamax.

Eternal Hobbyist

ccotwist3D ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 9:01 AM

Just out of curiosity do you have a side, 3/4, and front profile. A side and front profile would be fine too. I could do the rest via rotoscoping by hand. It might be fun to have a go at it.

Sebastian

bnetta ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 9:31 AM

lina is a character sold here in the market place.

her creator has many freebies for her.

netta

www.oodlesdoodles.com

Francemi ( ) posted Mon, 31 July 2006 at 10:29 AM

I'm sorry I missed your question about Lina. What made me think of Lina is her toonish young face and all the clothes she has. You'd find almost everything you need right in her wardrobe. I dressed her in her own clothes and changed the colors to match those of Fantomette and as you can see, with very little tweaking you could achieve what you want. She is available here in the market place and she is by Toshiyo. Inexpensive and so are her clothes... and Toshiyo offers lots of freebies to those who buy Lina.

France, Proud Owner of

KCTC Freebies  

ksabers ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 7:12 AM

Very cute! A real Fantomette doll! ^_^

Giorgio

Blackhearted ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 7:29 AM

i actually prefer the updated version of her costume in post 3.
the original looks a little too... middle ages for me...
people dont wear tunics anymore :)

nevertheless if you are missing some little piece of her outfit and need some help making it let me know, if i have time ill whip one up as long as its not too complicated.

ksabers ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 8:13 AM

Quote - i actually prefer the updated version of her costume in post 3.
the original looks a little too... middle ages for me...
people dont wear tunics anymore :)

You are right, Blackhearted... and they should not wear CAPES anymore (ask Syndrome and Edna for details!  ^_^ )

But, you see, I am a romantic. I believe in eternity for super-heroes. Fantomette was 12yo when George Chaulet invented her in 1961, and she STILL is 12yo, forever. "Updating" her would be like transporting Zorro or Robin Hood at present days, and this is the reason of the cartoon flop, in my opinion.

Quote -
nevertheless if you are missing some little piece of her outfit and need some help making it let me know, if i have time ill whip one up as long as its not too complicated.

Thank you very much. Surely I'll contact you in the next weeks when I'll have fixed the first important points of the character (general look, hair, and so on).

Giorgio

amacord ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 8:14 AM · edited Tue, 01 August 2006 at 8:17 AM

@ blackhearted

now that´s more than just a question of taste, mate!

that "middle ages"-stuff is like an evergreen, if you know what i mean. there´ll always be some people who still like it.....

but that kind of toons, they come and go, they´re crawling all over! change the colours and you have a new toon! no character, just copy and paste and sell - mba!

@ giorgio

hi there - crosspost

ksabers ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 8:20 AM

Attached Link: Mille pompons!

Only now I remember that I have forgotten an important link... This is the best site for all Fantomette fans, a real gold mine of informations. It is in French, of course, but it has a lot of pictures and drawings.

Giorgio

ynsaen ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 12:33 PM

Reading this and looking at the pictures, I'm going to say that this is the perfect for a figure like Laura -- the girl from the DAZ Young Teens pack, or one of dodger's Aeon teens.

Aside fro the age aspect, she also has the benefit of the more refined grouping and JP's of the later figures like Aiko, and she's got the right height.

Truth be told, although I'll never repeat it anywhere else, I'd like to see Blackhearted take on a custom figure for her, although it'll ever sell quite as well as his other work.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

Blackhearted ( ) posted Tue, 01 August 2006 at 1:07 PM

heh
the only reason i am refraining from work on the daz preteens is because V3 and Aiko3 are free, and at this point i am confident i could morph whatever i wanted out of those two bodies and save the customer some money.
in retrospect i should have made Irina for V3 as well, but at the time i was working on her SP3 was a new alternative to V3 and V3/Aiko3 had not been made 'free' yet. right before irina was released V3 was made free.

if V4 is released, i will undoubtedly make a character for her. but if she is $40, and doesnt introduce any new completely groundbreaking joints or technology (ie: not merely more morphs and higher resolution), then i will still continue most of my work on V3 since that way it will reach the biggest userbase at the lowest price.

IMO, if anything, V4 should have a lowere res, more efficient mesh than V3 and some new rigging. itll never happen though since most north americans are under the impression that bigger is better - and a 120k poly mesh must undoubtedly be twice as good as a 60k one.
since the prospect of a redone rigging system in Poser7 is probably slim (since after the initial CL allusions i havent heard a peep about it in years, and they just updated the G2 figures), i really wish rather than offering a linear alternative to poser daz would focus on better and more complex rigging in daz studio -- and REALLY give users an alternative.

ksabers ( ) posted Thu, 17 August 2006 at 7:27 AM

file_351279.jpg

Update of the project!

This is my idea of Fantomette's face. After some days of experiments, I like her enough. Now it's time to dress her!

Anyway it's not too late for some adjustments if have suggestions for me...

Giorgio

ksabers ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2006 at 4:19 AM

file_352442.jpg

I update the topic because I have fixed some important points and decided the final look of my Fantomette.

Base: V3 with slightly enlarged head to simulate 12yo proportions

Face morph: Miu by kobamax with BlackEyes 2

Hair: Devanar by DAZ with black texture.

This is the draft of the character.

Giorgio

ksabers ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2006 at 4:31 AM

file_352444.jpg

Now this is my checklist for the costume:

Tunic: standard DAZ V3  tunic should suffice.

White collar: NO IDEA YET

Gold "F": A-Z V2 by spy15

Mask: RDNA by Maveris as first idea, but looking for something better

Black headcover with pompom: NO IDEA YET

Red and black cape: still searching for the optimal solution. I have found a nice dynamic cape but it does not allow two colors on the two sides.

Belt: I need something like a "rope" belt, not a leather one. Not yet found (actually not yet searched for).

Dagger: not yet found the optimal solution (but there are plenty of options and surely I'll find the right one)

Stockings: standard V3 catsuit

Shoes: Mary Janes by Xena

This is a draft render with tunic, stockings and shoes.

Giorgio

EricJ ( ) posted Mon, 28 August 2006 at 11:22 AM

Personally I would loose the catsuit and just change the material on her legs and hip. That way you save the memory required for the catsuit and you don't have to worry about poke through.

For the mask there is a second skin set by Angela3d and Sturkwurk over at Poser Pros that might work.

amacord ( ) posted Tue, 31 October 2006 at 7:16 AM · edited Tue, 31 October 2006 at 7:25 AM

file_358142.jpg

Finished!!!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.