Sat, Oct 5, 3:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Will Vue 6 have cel shading

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 5:45 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 3:22 AM

I mean easy cell shading at the click of a button not adjusting endless materials one at a time? And how easy will it be to make the scenary as well as the objects also look cel shaded? I read the whole vue 6 info on their site and I was so disappointed that I didin't see anything about toon rendering, nonphotorealistic rendering and cel shading. Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 6:11 AM

file_350199.jpg

Well- YOU and ME Both, Esther!  I've been whinning, pleading, screaming about this to E-on for a couple of years- at LEAST, but they seem to have a real TIN EAR for following through on TOON and NPR rendering features...

However- at least ONE interesting alternative will exist- Vue 6 is supposed to be able to read in the ENTIRE Poser 6 Shader Tree- MEANING- Olivier's TOON Materials for Poser 6 "could" be loaded into VUE 6 from a Pz3 or Pzz scene file...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 6:17 AM

Attached Link: http://poser.rois-sorciers.com/ShaderWorks/

The way this could work fairly easily is if you have Semidieu's FREE ShaderWorks software. It reads and writes Pz3 and Pzz files- and in ShaderWorks setting up a TOON scene is only a matter of a few clicks- ALMOST as easy as Toon Pro is in Carrara...

...Set up your TOON Materials in Shaderworks- and then load the Poser scene into Vue 6...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 6:21 AM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=Olivier

file_350200.jpg

Olivier has also just released Art Materials Vol. II- which has a variety of sketch and Pop Art EFX.

These Poser shaders "should" all work in Vue 6- according to the E-on website...

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 6:25 AM

Yes, but vue has scenary. How funny will the toon stuff look if the buildings and rocks and plants don't look cel shaded? Love esther

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 6:44 AM

file_350202.jpg

Well- you are RIGHT about scenery- this is where a good NPR renderer- like Carrara's would be very nice- as Carrara seems to handle this quite well.

I've also been Bugging E-on about supporting Piranesi. They've been playing with it in their office for about a year, I think. E-on might actually release a Piranesi file exporter for Vue 6- but it isn't a big priority for them right now-- of course- Piranesi isn't CHEAP either- so it probably isn't as cost friendly as Olivier's Art Materials.

I suspect that the NPR renderer for Carrara MIGHT have been developed by some of the people who were with the Eovia Europe- Amapi Group- which has since been purchased by e-frontier. Maybe some of the E-on guys can jump into one of their Lamborgini's and cruise down the road in Paris and see if these Eovia Europe guys will write them up a nice NPR renderer for Vue 6...     : )

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 7:35 AM

I have a feeling it's too late. I think vue 6 is more or less finished now and just having bugs ironed out before being released. I don't think they'll add anymore features. I was so hoping for cel shading. Love esther

masstapro ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 10:28 AM

You can't bring all your Vue work into Poser?
Why can't you tell Vue objects to use the Poser rendering nodes also?

~Shawn

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 3:49 PM

Well- IF e-frontier and E-on could cut a deal (which would seem certainly possible) so that Poser 7 (which would presumably also have a 64 bit version) could READ-IN Vue files-  THEN, yes, that would be a great new feature for Poser!

It would be possible in a number of ways- Poser 7 could read in straight VUE files- or some type of VUE Layer EXPORT File format (there are several that Vue supports)... POSER 7 might also support VOB files... etc.

But reguarding Esther's feeling that it is "Too Late"- I'm not completely sure it is- mainly because E-on may have shown its new CORE features at Siggraph- but might have some other's beta-testing other components we have not seen. I have been told by E-on for at least TWO YEARS that- sure- "We can make an NPR renderer"- like it was "No Problem" (and maybe they have already done it .)

But- they do some ODD THINGS- like putting the really cool Post-Processing feature in an OBSCURE location in Vue 5 I. Most people today barely know where it is or how to find it. If they can stick THAT in a weird little spot- then they could put an NPR renderer in there ALSO. (An NPR renderer could be written separately by some 3rd-Party contractor- like someone from Eovia Europe- or from someplace else.)

I also believe they haven't shown everything because there has been NOTHING shown about any new Plant Editor features- I would find really hard to believe they would release Vue 6 without them... I also don't think Vue will actually be released until VERY LATE this year- like November-December... It would be good timing anyway as people are in their best money spending mood then...

ariannah ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 4:13 PM

Quote - But- they do some ODD THINGS- like putting the really cool Post-Processing feature in an OBSCURE location in Vue 5 I. Most people today barely know where it is or how to find it.

For the brand new & uninitiated to V5I (and Vue in general), care to offer me some landmarks, Veritas, so I can find this cool sounding feature?

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

ariannah ( ) posted Sat, 05 August 2006 at 5:44 PM

Nevermind -  a very helpful friend saw my above post and told me how to do it! :)

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 6:11 PM

file_350317.jpg

[ http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?forum_id=43&ShowMessage=234623](http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?forum_id=43&ShowMessage=234623)

BTW- for anyone interested in ShaderWorks and the new Art Materials "Dry-Shaders" pack- Semidieu has posted his newest FREE release. It makes using these Amazing shaders a very simple One-Two Click operation...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Sun, 06 August 2006 at 11:59 PM

file_350330.jpg

...Here's an example- We should be able to use these P6 specific Shader EFX, using ShaderWorks as a loading utility, ---in Vue 6...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 12:03 AM

file_350331.jpg

...another one with a Gold shader done as a color pencil effect. Notice that the lines follow the UV contours- Unlike just a Photoshop Filter!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 12:08 AM

file_350332.jpg

...with Vue 6 importing P6 Shader Trees- and also with much better Animation Controls- AND running on a 64 BIT OS- there will be some really AMAZING 3D Artistic Animations possible, I would think...

dburdick ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 12:12 PM

Veritas,

I think your expectations on the ability of Vue6 to render an exact copy of what you get in Poser may be a bit too elevated.  Even if you could render something similar with an imported toon-shaded object, how would you apply this shader to the surrounding Vue scenery?  What would really be the best of all worlds is for the ShaderWorks developer to implement his shader natively in Vue.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Mon, 07 August 2006 at 5:17 PM

Heh! Don't think I'm NOT already WORKING ON THAT!... I've previously already put Olivier Vinet in touch with Nicholas Phelps- well before the SIGGRAPH show. I don't know what the out come of that conversation was- but I know Olivier did get Vue 5 Infinite shortly thereafter...  If Olivier was to get into some deal to work with E-on in beta-testing, developing, etc- NOTHING could be said anyway, of course, due to NDA's...  (The other major players at RDNA also got Vue 5 Infinite as well around the same time- and as we know- e-frontier and E-on work together on some things...)

But my above examples were NOT implying that these P6 shaders would be applied DIRECTLY to Vue scenery- what I was referring to was IMPORTING P6 scenes or animations with Olivier's shader trees already applied- and then running the animations (or rendering the scenes) in Vue 6 with a 64 bit OS for MAX Horse-Power...

Olivier's shaders actually work best with a single light source- so a specific P6 rendering stage could be set up in Vue 6 to emulate a P6 light source. As you might remember- I did some posts here around two years ago showing how to emulate the TOON look in Poser, and how to set up a "Virtual Animation Stand" in Vue to create a Cel-Shade type lighting set-up. I ALSO sent this info to E-on with some suggestions and tweaks for making it work even better...

For Piranesi type rendering EFX's - it would probably take a combination of an NPR renderer- like Carrara's very well done (but not perfect) renderer- and Olivier's shaders. Otherwise, I can already sort of get this EFX now by using multi-pass and multi-layering in Photoshop...

Veritas777 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 4:45 PM

Another BTW- People interested in having some type of NPR Scenery EFX in Vue Scenes will be interested in this link, I think...  Olivier's Art Materials can render multi-layer 2D scenery exported from Vue and then be composited in the background with Poser characters in the fore-ground.

It might be very possible to take this even FURTHER when Vue 6 ships and we can see how far the shader tree functions will work on multi-layers in Vue...

http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?forum_id=43&ShowMessage=234451

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.