Mon, Sep 9, 6:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 2:22 am)

Subject: @Last SketchUp and Poser

marco-xxx ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 6:07 AM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 5:59 AM

I'm trying import OBJ created with @LastSketchUp in Poser 5 but the results are very weird. Does someone import them successfully? 

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 7:01 AM

define weird, first..;) Can you give us a little more of the symptoms, please?..;) exploded, tiny, looks like it melted, etc?

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 7:17 AM

probaby, closed faces, webbing etc
sketchup produces a lot of N-gons....

diana ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 8:09 AM

file_355239.jpg

I have some funky looking SketchUp meshes in Poser 5 too.  Especially if I have drawn circles on flat areas and pushed/pulled them from the flat which you can see in the objects on the lower left part of the image.  The ones on the right of the image were two components; the circle drawn on top the box component and then pulled up so it doesn't actually intersect the mesh.  If you don't have polygon smoothing turned off, the meshes will blow up on Poser 5, but Poser 6 didn't do this nor does it have a problem with the intersected meshes as shown in the image. Click on the image to see it full size.

marco-xxx ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 8:50 AM

I have same problem of diana. Moreover, if I cut a hole in a box, I don’t see the hole in Poser 5.

Excuse my English, I’m Italian

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 8:54 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=1895179

aah the hole I can help with the Link gives details on what an N-gon is and how the problem is corrected - (for trueSpace, but explains the problem.. and I think the one about intersecting shapes)

diana ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 10:57 AM · edited Thu, 28 September 2006 at 11:12 AM

file_355245.jpg

marco, I see the hole but it's badly cut.  I tried drawing more lines from the cut edge of the hole to the corners, just made more ditches in the top of the box in Poser. I tried changing the export options, triangulate, with and without edges, made components of the hole and the box, nothing mattered. Don't know what to do to fix it in Poser 5, but I don't use it anymore preferring Poser 6 for many reasons.

Attached another image. I split vertices in UV Mapper Pro, then saved the model, imported into Poser 5 - much better.

diana ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 11:13 AM

file_355247.jpg

wouldn't let me attach this to previous message

diana ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 11:34 AM

file_355249.jpg

The free version of UV Mapper does fix the hole warping the box face problem, but I see some faceting in the hole center that I don't see when I split vertices using the settings shown in UV Mapper Pro.   I don't have any settings to change in the freebie version for split vertices. 

diana ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 11:43 AM

file_355250.jpg

darn, can't delete a message and now I refresh and see it replaced the badly cut hole image with the one I posted below in a separate reply.  Attached is a SU5 model of a hole in a box imported into Poser 5 without splitting vertices.

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 12:33 PM

try turning 'smooth polygons' off for the object

diana ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 9:32 PM

file_355283.jpg

If you look up at my first reply, I mentioned that the models will blow up if you don't have smooth polygons off.  I did have smooth polygons off in the images without split vertices. See image attached of what the model, before splittling vertices, looks like with smoothing on. I turned smoothing back on hoping to get rid of the edges in center of the hole in Poser 5 after splitting vertices with the free version of UV Mapper, but that didn't help.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 7:29 AM

one trick I use in Wings is to bevel edges slightly (about .001) and make them 'hard'. I don't know if your software does that, but it can give you a straighter edge. This is in .obj mode, I suppose .3ds and others would work. 

mad.s ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 10:49 PM

Generaly:

SketchUp -> OBJ -> Wings3D -> select all edges -> make it hard -> OBJ -> Poser

diana ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 12:14 PM

That's useful info pakled and mad.s, especially since Wings3D is free. Thanks!

marco-xxx ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 4:51 AM · edited Mon, 02 October 2006 at 4:52 AM

Thanks for the infos!

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 6:51 AM

you're welcome..I occasionally pause in my various thread-hijackings to impart useful information..;) keeps me copacetic with the mods..;)

diana ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 7:11 AM

I'm not proficient with Wings 3D but I didn't get anywhere making the edges hard, but I did get the box to smooth out using the bevel tip.  The results of using bevel and loading the obj in Poser look exactly like the results using the free version of UV Mapper image above to split vertices before taking the SketchUp obj file into Poser 5, including some faceting inside the hole.

The hard edges attempt looked like I didn't do anything at all to the model and I tried it several times.  If all you do is select all edges, right click in the workspace, choose hardness from the edge operations menu and then pick hard, that's what I did, then exported the obj file. Could be operator error on the hard edges, I am just not that familiar with the software.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.