Tue, Oct 22, 3:23 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Exporting P5 dynamic hairs...

marco-xxx ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 4:32 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:14 AM

I’m using PoseRay with Poser 5. When I export Poser scene as OBJ, dynamic hairs are exported as line elements and this is not a problem since PoseRay can read them. The problem is that Poser export only guide hair and not others hair, even if I check the visibility of all hair before exporting. This seems a limitation of Poser 5: does someone know a workaround?

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 10:49 AM

I don't think there is one.  Dynamic hair is not exportable.

Vue Infinite (or Vue d'Esprit plus the Mover plugin) can import Poser dynamic hair, but it really doesn't look the same. 

Use transmapped hair instead. 

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 1:59 PM

You can access the fully populated hair through Python and through that export it in whatever format you wont.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Tue, 10 October 2006 at 5:28 PM

So does that mean there's a Python script that exists for exporting dynamic hair as an OBJ or it's just possible and nobody's bothered to write it yet?

My Freebies

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:39 PM

Attached Link: http://www.stewreo.de/poser/poserman.html

I gave up on the OBJ part since I couldn't really find any program that would read lines from OBJ properly. However, I have a script that writes dynamic hair to RIB files.

arcady ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 12:50 PM

Once I have a RIB export, can you take us through the steps of getting it into a format that could be imported by Bryce / Vue / Carrara?

Something like obj, 3ds, etc...

And do you have a screenshot of the results?

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 1:17 PM

While I'll agree that the default OBJ importers of most 3D apps are rudimentary - there are plenty of solid importers by third-parties.  Riptide is probably the best for Cinema 4D.  And did I mention that, yes, my Wavefront OBJ importer can handle lines properly into C4D splines - it is not all that difficult.  Currently I don't use it since Poser (by default) exports/saves only the guide hairs - I'd need to recreate the populate algorithms of Dynamic Hair to start simulating Poser hair otherwise.

But, if you've got an exporter that handles Dynamic Hair properly (guides and populated), that might be an incentive to reinstate and finalize support. :)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 5:07 PM

Hm, so I just tried it out in Poser 6: Went to the hair room, created a new hair group on the ground plane. Checked "show populated". Exported as an OBJ. Got a 160MB OBJ file with every single hair strand in it.

Khai ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 5:20 PM

....... bingo? (it's a start! lol)
...just that file size....

arcady ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 6:29 PM

160mb?

That's almost as big as a Bryce sphere primative... :blink:

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 11 October 2006 at 7:11 PM

It contains > 80,000 hairs with 20 vertices each. Small test scenes are for pussies :)

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 5:10 AM

It'd be better to have the splines than the 160MB mass of polygons... ;)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 11:13 AM

Those are 160MB worth of splines. Remember, OBJ is an ASCII file format.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 12:06 PM

Really?  Wow.  Would have never guessed.. :/ (I've written an OBJ importer/exporter once or twice)

So in export of the guide and populated hair splines, it occupies a 160MB file?  Part of that I would think would be the precision to which each vertex is taken (since Poser works in microverse, the floating point values need to remain rather significant (literally here)).

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 12:15 PM · edited Thu, 12 October 2006 at 12:18 PM

Why is everyone acting so surprised? I was using an abnormally large number of hair strands (about ten times of what the hair cuts that come with Poser 6 have), so it's only normal that I ended up with an abnormally large file. If you export James with his layer cut hair style, you get a 20MB OBJ file. Anyhow, can we finally stop with the "dynamic hair doesn't export" myth? Yes it does export and yes it does export every single populated hair and yes it does export them as splines and not as polygons. If $SOFTWARE_OF_CHOICE doesn't know how to import or to render OBJ splines, don't blame Poser.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 3:18 PM

I thnk that is the problem.  Most "software of choice" basic Wavefront OBJ importers are very rudimentary - Cinema 4D converts splines into god-awful polygon meshes.  Not sure about Spanki's Riptide - will have to put it to the test.  interPoser Pro's does support lines into splines - but that doesn't help as it uses the Poser file directly - not an export.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 4:54 PM

Especially in the case of C4D it's sad - they've done a good job on their hair module, and it would be capable of creating hair from imported splines. I haven't had a look at v10 yet though, did they make any changes to the OBJ import there?

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 5:34 PM

Just checked - same situation in R10 - lines to polys. :(

Riptide ignores the lines,  but I can't verify the version (there is a newer version I'll need to dig out and install).

The Poser dynamic hair into C4D Hair would be a good approach.  The biggest problem would be parameter matching between the two different interfaces (basically the same problem as matching materials, lights, and cameras between the two).  Should be possible, but wouldn't know until attempted.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

nruddock ( ) posted Thu, 12 October 2006 at 8:11 PM

Hex2 will read "l" lines (but would probably not cope with a full head of hair).
It also is the only app that I've seen save splines to OBJ files using the cstype, curv etc. records.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.