Tue, Oct 22, 1:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Show us your early Vue 6 renders!

ariannah ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 9:43 PM

Thanks agiel for posting those screen grabs.  It's really cool to see how the shader technology does appear to be coming through into Vue.  I can't wait to give this a go myself but will have to wait until I get a successful download.

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

Veritas777 ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:00 PM

...Thanks Agiel for the examples!... still wondering- can you SAVE Poser materials for use in Vue?

...I would THINK so- as you can save the scene, etc.. but wondering if you save P6 materials, can they be opened in the V6 material editor and edited as Procedural Mats? (And not just be converted into bitmaps- this is how Bryce 6 is exporting it's Boolean models- into bitmapped materials...)

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:04 PM

No... the only thing you can edit from the Vue material editor is the amplitude of displacement maps.

You have to edit your materials in Poser, just like you have to edit dynamic hair or clothing in Poser.
Vue relies of Poser to interpret Poser materials. It cannot handle them by itself.

Veritas777 ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:20 PM

file_358353.jpg

...WELL- too bad!...but Olivier will be happy about that, if he doesn't already know... (Since he is beta testing Poser 7)...and the GOOD NEWS for Vue 6 is that P7 only supports spherical HDR data, not other formats...meaning that Vue 6 inf would REALLY be the best choice for most Poser HDR situations... I think.

I don't know if this V6inf demo pic is Dave Burdick's skin shader or not- but this is what I'm hoping to see for Poser 6 imports...

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:25 PM

file_358354.jpg

That is one thing I don't understand, why does bump control, control displacement maps in vue?

Aren't these 2 different things?

Well here is an attempt at a prism in Vue 6 using dispersion.

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:37 PM · edited Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:38 PM

It wouldn't make much sense to have both bump and displacement on the same material. Bump is a way to fake displacement anyway.

Nice prism by the way :)

dburdick ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:49 PM · edited Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:52 PM

file_358361.jpg

Veritas,

Yes, the image that  was done by Frederic on E-On's site did in fact use the new SkinVue6.  Here are some other images rendered in Vue6 with SkinVue6:

http://www.SkinVue.net/Gallery6.htm

dburdick ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 10:54 PM

file_358362.jpg

How about some wet skin too!

dburdick ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 11:00 PM

file_358363.jpg

Here's and example using Fake SSS:

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 11:12 PM

Wow, that is all very incredible.

Other programs like poser, maya, & max, etc have separate bump and displacement control.  I thought vue would follow suit.

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 02 November 2006 at 11:17 PM

BOOKMARK... this thread is so exciting to observe!!! I am going to be patient for the full MAILED version of Vue 6i...at least that is what I am TRYING to do... wait until the dust settles and then get the FULL "final" first version and not have to sweat the downloads... :)

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Veritas777 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:39 AM

...Thanks for all the great looking samples, Dave!

I really think Vue 6 is going to be a terrific Poser rendering software. It was already really good previously, especially for outdoor scenes, but all these newer render engine tweaks like SSS really add those subtle skintone effects that suggest realistic skintone under interior studio lighting conditions...

The implimentation of HDR in Poser 7, so far, is surprisingly weak- from what I expected. Especially when you start looking at MODO renders, which are truely Mind-Blowing. Vue 6 Inf in the hands of a VERY TALENTED lighting artist would appear to be much closer to the MODO type of renders that blow people away!

jc ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:43 AM · edited Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:48 AM

Yes, Vue 6i Spectral illumination is such a good simulation of real light that it will refract white light with a glass material prism (and do excellent caustics). Vue calls that refraction 'Dispersion'. In fact, i want to try to make a simple refracting telescope that actually works in Vue 6i, if possible:

jc ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:51 AM

Here's a very quick comparison of bump mapping to displacement:

dburdick ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 1:11 AM

Veritas,

SSS as it's currently implemented in Vue6 only works for thick, homogeneous objects (like Agiel's cool Dragon and Snake renders).  As E-on has publicly stated, they are working on a solution to handle thin skinned objects (e.g. Poser Figures).  The images I was showing use a technique I developed that is often called "Fake" or "Faux" SSS.  Instead of using the new Vue6 transluceny channel, Fake SSS relies on adjusting the diffuse color and luminosity channel via a luminosity map.  I created a small explanation of this on the C3D forum (which is down now I believe).    The net of it is that Fake SSS can produce some very high quality results and is much faster than real SSS.  When E-on delivers the new thin SSS cabability, I plan on adding this into SkinVue as well.

louguet ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 2:31 AM · edited Fri, 03 November 2006 at 2:41 AM

TooMuchSoap

Ok here are more Vue + SKinVue images : http://renderfred.free.fr/v6i_skinvue.html

and other V6I renders : http://renderfred.free.fr/v6i_gallery.html

and a hot animation (Digital beauties) : http://renderfred.free.fr/animations.html

dburdick ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 2:46 AM

That's quite impressive Frederic.  That "Golden Godrays" image is bar far the best example I've seen of using GodRays - e-on should should definitely use this image to show what Godrays can do.  Your caustic renders are museum quality stuff.  Oh, and of course the SkinVue stuff is superb as always.

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 4:26 AM

Amazing dispersion effect jc; now I only wonder how a ground/terrain displacement textures affect objects/terrain meshes; can you render some test pics?  

norm1153 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 4:53 AM

The V6i w/Skinvue examples are just incredible! 

At this time, am I correct in assuming this is not yet the Skinvue6 version (not yet on sale?), and is jus using Skinvue2 in V6i?

louguet ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:03 AM

This is SkinVue 6.

sacada ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:26 AM

Attached Link: Sacada Gallery

Here is what you can do with displacement texturing and hypertextures. The colored one up front is a hypertexture. Most others are displacement textures.

I have other images in my gallery at the above link.

Vue 6 displacement textures and hypertextures.

norm1153 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:41 AM

Ah, I guess you have a pre-release version of Skinvue6, because it doesn't appear in Cornucopia3d's website yet.  Dave has a lot of good info on his website about it, though.

Oh well, I guess it'll show up pretty soon on Cornucopia3d.  It should.

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:47 AM · edited Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:52 AM

Thanks sacada; awesome displ. mapping effects there! (Grrrrr, it's impossible to view the pics on your site; they won't show up; I only see a red X....)

sacada ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 7:07 AM

**attileus, I have changed a setting on my site. The images should show up now.

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 7:29 AM

Many thanks sacada; indeed it works now; wonderful renders there!

Rebel3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 8:55 AM

file_358407.jpg

I decided to try building a full scene, to test how well it holds up to several million polygons, radiosity and GI, a spectral sky, a complex water mat, as well as painting on the landscape with all the plants present in the scene using the new ecosystem features. I had 2 crashes, and at last gave up and lowered the quality of the radiosity to prevent further crashes and also to finish the render before I died of old age, but all in all it produced a nice little scene, as you can see. My total render time on this scene at 1600 x 1200 was just over 2 hours, with all the features used that I mentioned above. I hope it helps give some idea of how well Vue 6 Infinate can handle a small stress test. I call it "The Isle of Avalon's Secret Garden". Even though it is my first Vue 6 render, and only my 3rd render altogether, I think I shall put it in my gallery too. I sort of like how it came out.

We all want something beautiful
Man, I wish I was beautiful
When everybody loves me, I will never be lonely

Counting Crows

NightVoice ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 9:44 AM

There are two things I would like to see if somebody with it wouldn't mind testing.

1)Take an old scene and render it in an older vue program and v6.  How do the render times differ?

1. Take a older scene with a lot of bumpmapping and simply change all bumps to displacements.  Would like to see a camparison on a full working scene and not just special specific object demos on spheres).

If anybody has time to try this, it would be great. :)
Thanks!

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 10:48 AM

Great scene Rebel; like the soft look of the render; I wonder why your V6 crashed; are there still bugs in the software?

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 11:05 AM

attileus - This is a pre-release. There are still bugs in the software. There is even a 'known issues' page on the Vue 6 site to track issues that should be fixes by the time the final release comes out.

Even then, as with any software, there will still be bugs and limitations.

I have been working with computers for a little more than 20 years now and I have yet to see a software free of bugs :)

Rebel3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 11:18 AM

Thank you :) I am glad the image is appreciated :) I like it too.

Unfortunately, Not only does it crash, but it is slower than mud while working in it, compared to Vue 5, and quite sluggish on responsiveness, and the viewports do not refresh, or half the time even show the scene well enough to tell what is going on. I have been hesitant to mention all this, since everyone else seems happy as can be, but this software is only half baked so to speak, and needs a little longer in the oven.

Before saying my machine is the issue, I am on an Alienware custom build 3D workstation, Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4, 3.6 ghz, with 2 gigs of Ram, and an NVidia GeForce video card with 256 megs VRam. I am able to run Vue 5, 3ds Max 8, and Poser 6 without issues. Bue Vue 6 is giving my machine fits.

Counting Crows

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 11:51 AM

agiel: I know I know...I can live with software bugs as long as they are minor and won't make the program totally crash; of course we keep our fingers crossed for a more stable V6 version when it comes in December; hope they also release a demo asap.

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:20 PM

I have an important question. If you make a "bad" (rough lowpoly terrain) and then apply a rock/mountain displacement mapping texture then will it improve your original terrain mesh to the better? It would be interesting to check this particular problem out and see the difference! :-) 

Can't wait for the demo!!!! :-D 

Rebel3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:39 PM

The ecosystem items keep disappearing. Everytime I add an imported object to the scene, or even a solidgrowth type tree, all the items in the ecosystem that had been scattered in the scene disappear. This keeps happening, and I am not sure what is causing it.

Counting Crows

jc ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:48 PM · edited Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:52 PM

Louquet: Fantastic work Frederic!

Sacada: Wow! Scott :  Great scenes in your gallery & excellent displacement examples!

Rebel3D: A first Vue render? Wish my first had been this good. And a very nice job with the difficult lighting situation of rear low sunlighting.

Dave: SkinVue6 has made it impossible for me to put off learning and using SkinVue any longer, lol. Next Poser humans i do must have it.

Pre-release crashes:
I think e-on made the right choice by pre-releasing Vue 6i rather than make everyone wait (another month?, 2 months?, 3?). You get your hands on the product sooner, e-on gets more feedback and thus more bugs get whacked faster. But you're going to have to expect crashes in any pre-release product.

And if you don't report such problems to e-on's tech support, they may not get fixed, or may not get the priority they deserve. So, i hope everyone will treat this as a public beta or beta phase 2 or gamma or whatever you want to call the next step after a private beta - and participate in finding and fixing those bugs.

Really, customers can choose 2 paths (not accusing anyone here):

1. Complain, whine, blame and flame
  2. Complain (if you have good reason), document bugs carefully and then report them.
    You can become part of a problem or part of a solution.

From observing past forums, it seems to me inevitable that some people will enjoy putting the product down more than they enjoy using it. While i have nothing against honest negative feedback, and do plenty myself, it would be a shame to miss this opportunity to participate in improving the product for your benefit and everyone elses.

Hmmm.... seem to have gotten up on a soapbox here.... (steps down)...  

Rebel3D ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:53 PM

Hi JC, to be fair to you, let me clarify :) It was my first Vue 6 render in the pre-release version. It was my 3rd scene altogether in Vue 5 and Vue 6. I have been fiddling around now with Vue for a week I guess since I started. BUT.... I am not a real newbie since I do Poser stuff, and 3dsMax stuff, etc, and have worked in the gaming industry and 3d industry for years. So for me, I know what I want to do, just gotta locate where they hid the button to do it ;p

I am so glad you like the render though, and do not think less of me for being only technically a newbie, not really a newbie :) I am also new to Rosity too. Was around a bit years and years ago, but drifted away elsesite for a few years.

Counting Crows

jc ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 12:59 PM · edited Fri, 03 November 2006 at 1:04 PM

Can you apply displacement to a terrain material (rather than to the .vob objects used in an EcoSystem)? Have to try that.

Odd problem with your EcoSystem Rebel3D. Did you add you items by painting them or by using the Material Editor and populating/repopulating? Do you mean the items disappear from the Material Editor objects list, or from the scene? Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for the clarification, Rebel3D - honesty is always appreciated.

I'm thinking that bug discussions might be better done by starting another thread - if we start discussing bugs here, we'll get way off-topic for this thread. Could you start another thread for pre-release bug discussions? 

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 1:57 PM

Yes, displacement mats/rocks on terrain meshes...any takers please?

TH ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 1:58 PM

all looking good - however, a couple of questions - how does Poser dynamic hair look? Same as before, or better? And does anyone have any experience of self-shadowing? And while I'm making a nuisance of myself, can ambient occlusion be applied on an object-only basis, or is it only global?

Feedback very much appreciated :-))))

(pretty please! - lol!)

Rob

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 2:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2671504

Here... use the attached link to discuss issues and keep this thread to show renders of Vue 6 features only :)

jc ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 2:25 PM

TH:
Ambient Occlusion is a 'Lighting Model' (found on the 'Lighting' tab of the Atmosphere Editor), just like GI and GR. So i guess you'd say it's global (not per-object or per-material).

Could you define "self-shadowing"? Any material (in Material Editor) can cast shadows or not and receive shadows or not, or be rendered as a shadow only. If you set a material to receive shadows, this includes from itself (no way i know to disable self shadows only).

The main thing i noticed in V6 for shadows is the cool shadow softness and custom shadow softness features in the Light & Shadow Editor. These are really good for getting rid of artifacts ("grain") from the complex process of calculating smooth shadow edges - and with fast rendering  too. No need for Object Antialiasing or Texture Antialiasing for soft shadows now (but you may still need OAA or TAA for other reasons). 

sacada ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 3:16 PM

Attached Link: art.sacada.net

Here is an example of displacement mapping over a low poly terrain. I pushed the initial terrain down to 64x64 and then added a texture. Next I displaced it and then exaggerated the displacement up to 3.

Vue 6 Displacement texture on low poly terrain example.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 3:24 PM

Sacada, what does your displacement map look like?  Or did you just use the bump map in the displacement channel/node?

Veritas777 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 3:59 PM

...WOW!...that's PERFECT for doing Lava Flows!

sacada ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 4:35 PM

Attached Link: Displacement Texture Tutorial in Vue 6

Displacements can be very easy. For this one I just checked the "Displacement" checkbox and left all as defaults. Generally the bump map that you would use would be the same as the displacement. The bump "Depth" is used for the displacement depth.

Follow the link above to a simple tutorial that I have written about it. It is already out of date as there is a new control for displacement, but it gives you most of what you would need to know.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 4:36 PM

Thank You Sacada :)

attileus ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 4:43 PM

Wow, many thanks sacada; I hoped for this dplm effect - that looks really cool!!!

NightVoice ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:09 PM

Sacada. 

I looked at your displacement tutorial and it is very cool.  I am wondering if you can do a test for me.  In your tutorial, you turn a sphere into a bumpy sphere.  Well to me, that final sphere looked like a planet and was quite a cool way to make distant planets!  However I was wondering if you can do planets with water that way.

So could you test this idea:  Take two spheres and place in the exact same spot.  One sphere would be like the one in your tutorial with that same displacement mapping material.  The second one will be slightly smaller and have a water material(no displacement mapping on it).  So if I understand how displacement works, this should create a world where all the displaced sections will be filled in by the water sphere. Should make a cool looking water planet. Heck you could make an awesome Earth if you had the right maps. :)

Thanks.  I would do this myself, but can't afford to buy v6 yet. :)

NightVoice ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:28 PM

Just looked at your gallery Sacada.   Is that how you did the 'Vue Over Paris' image? Looks like what I was asking about. :)

forester ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:33 PM

file_358446.jpg

Simple renders with the two of the pre-set 'Ambient Occulsion' atmoshphers. The lighting is generally excellent in these new atmospheres. First one is of 'The Stormchaser', a 52-foot ketch-rigged schooner model that I'm still building.

forester ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:34 PM · edited Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:38 PM

file_358447.jpg

Second one is of Venice at daybreak. Nothing fancy here either, but the lighting is uniformly excellent! Had to dumb this one down to get it here, but the lighting has great clarity in the original.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.