Sun, Sep 22, 3:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How do you change the size of something but morphing the connecting area?

inshaala ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 6:16 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:49 PM

Ok, so i am exploring the whole "airbrushing" thing and saw a technique on the Dove campaign for beauty ad that most people have probably seen by now where the eyes were enlarged using what looked like a simple procedure - selecting a circle round the eyes and then transforming them so they got larger, the only thing is that when that happens the cut out interferes with the rest of the image - ie you get a very distinct line marking your selection, expecially if you arent enlarging but shirinking - because then you just get white space or the layer below

Is there any way to shrink (or enlarge) any part of an image and "pulling" the adjacent pixels around as if they were stuck to the selected part of the image in a sort of morph?  Or will i have to paint/heal in the difference?

I have tried to find a tutorial on this but dont know what it is i am looking for exactly (terminology-wise).  I hope you understand what it is i am asking 😄

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

aprilgem ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 6:29 PM

I normally do something like that on a separate layer (make selection, then hit Ctrl-J to copy and lift the selection into its own layer), and then I make the edges fuzzy via a layer mask after shrinking it or enlarging it.

But yeah, you can paint/heal the lines away. There are so many ways to do this, really, that there's no wrong answer.

inshaala ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 6:34 PM

hrm - actually modifying a duplicate layer and then using the healing brush set to "all-layers" seems to do the trick... and quite amazingly well.  Question still stands about doing that transform thing with the pixels on the outside of the selected area "stuck" to the selection... tho i dont think it would do a better job than what i just managed with the above experimentation 😄

Rich Meadows Photography

inshaala ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 6:44 PM

oh - oops cross posted... thanks for the added idea tho :)  What really amazes me is how easy it was for me to do that... i just managed to do the following in the time since my first post to this post:

Enlarged both eyes
Shrank a nose
Enlarged the mouth...
and then healed it all up...
and all looks as if there is absolutely no modification done to it - if anything i beleive it would pass as being a professional job...

Photoshop never ceases to amaze me...

Rich Meadows Photography

aprilgem ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:02 PM

For pixels outside a selected area ... well ... I just make a bigger selection, really. :) Or, sometimes, I use the Distort in Transform ... as in the case of this:

http://www.fotosearch.com/DGV608/1070025/

to this:

http://graphicfantastic.com/galleries/covers/tagsfolly.html

I needed to make a bigger butt, but I had to keep the outline of the dress consistent, so I selected the butt, enlarged it, then used Edit > Transform > Distort to line the top of the butt to the hip and waist. You can do something similar with Liquify, too.

Oh, and I agree about Photoshop being amazing. I've had a lot of fun over the years manipulating photos.

thundering1 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:47 PM

When they did it in the Dove film, they most likely (to do it fast and on the same layer - I'm with aprilgem on this one as I think it's psychotic to do it all on the same layer) had the Lasso Tool already set with a decently heavy feathered edge - that way it would blend with the surrounding skin.

Great video - I think every teenage girl (and numerous adults, for that matter!) should see that!

@ aprilgem - loved your image manipulation work (while I like bigger butts, I'm actually talking about the work you did on this image ;-) )! Looks flawless! Here's something you might love to use in the future - instead of clicking "Distort" try out "Warp"! This'll blow your mind as it's almost a slimmed down Liquify function - where you can bend the inside of the selected area. Many a panoramic of clouds have been lined up and matched with that function - have fun!

-Lew ;-)

aprilgem ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:50 PM

Would LOVE to use Warp, but I don't think it's available on my version of PS. I'm still on 6.0. :)

thundering1 ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 9:31 PM

Bummer - yep, it's on CS2 - sorry!

comcast ( ) posted Tue, 14 November 2006 at 8:33 PM

yes,photoshop 8

you need a new version!

More New PhotoSoftware in My blog:
http://photo-software.llzhe.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.