Fri, Jul 5, 8:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 04 1:52 pm)

Subject: How many still use Poser 6 -- Everyone at Poser 7 yet?

muralist ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 1:22 AM · edited Fri, 05 July 2024 at 3:55 AM

I'm making some more figures and props -- are enough people using P6 that I should make it compatible, or can I use P7?

Robo2010 ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 1:30 AM

I still use P6. Will wait until I get enough money. Prob around summer. Christmas just ended and I have to catch up on bills. Also MS Windows Vista will be out soon. Will see how that goes to.

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 2:40 AM

Expecting everyone to be up to the latest version is a little optimistic... there are quite possibly some folk who are quite happy to stick with their P4. You have to decide what market you're providing for, and go in that direction.

jonthecelt

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 3:14 AM

I went back to P6 from P7.  The firefly render in P7 is super quick, but has too many artifacts no manner the setting.  Going have to wait for SR1 to come out. XP

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

zarquen ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 3:59 AM

I'm still using Poser 5, P6 doesn't work on my computer, so I won't give P7 a chance.

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 6:31 AM

Umm excuse moi, but some of us old farts, don't like change, and are still using Poser 5. 

And then of course some of us would still be using Poser 4 or Pro Pak, if Poser 5 hadn't been given away free.

:b_grin:

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 6:51 AM

I'm curious, how do you make a P7 prop or figure that is incompatible with P6?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Vially ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 7:05 AM

I am still on Poser 5. Life happened and I never got around to updating to P6.

I've ordered P7 through Amazon (pre-release) but am being told by them that I can expect shipment some time in February. I would cancel the order andbuy it off the shelf some place else, but the $100 dollar difference makes waiting another month worth while.

So I am content to just play around with V4 in P5 for now... Biding my time.

:D

V

dan whiteside ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 7:18 AM

Still using P5, Mac and PC.

FlyByNight ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 7:51 AM

I still use P4 for most of my work but also use P6. Not upgrading for a while.

FlyByNight

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 8:47 AM

Quote - I'm curious, how do you make a P7 prop or figure that is incompatible with P6?

Simple.  Just open the pp2 file in a text editor and change the version number to 5 or 6.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

AndyCLon ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 9:09 AM

Will probably stick with P6 for a while, I do my rendering in Carrara so not that fussed about firefly.

majesticartist ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 9:45 AM

using Poser 5 here as well........

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 10:12 AM

Up until I got P5 for free, I was a Pro Pac man.  I'd stii be a Pro Pac man if I hadn't gotten P5 for free.  I find the materials room complicated enough without getting into the REALLY technical stuff like hair room and dynamic clothing.  When I want a clothed figure, I use the P4 Casual figures, or Casual Don.  With Eve 4, NEA, Judy, Neja, & Wiktorija, I have all the figures I need.
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 11:38 AM

I use Poser 6. My computer doesn't have the specs to run Poser 7, plus I've only had Poser 6 for a year, I don't see a need to upgrade right now even if my computer did have the specs to run Poser 7.  I think it's a waste of money to upgrade a program every year. Heck, I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 7 and 8 when they are already up to version 11 because version 7 and 8 does exactly what I need it to do.

I may upgrate poser next year or with the next version. It seems now that they come out with a new version every 2 years.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 11:49 AM

Quote - > Quote - I'm curious, how do you make a P7 prop or figure that is incompatible with P6?

Simple.  Just open the pp2 file in a text editor and change the version number to 5 or 6.

Uh.. that would actually make it MORE compatible, not less...

The only thing I can think of for Poser 7 that wouldn't be useable in Poser 6 is morphs and other stuff for Sydney... SimonG2 and JamesG2 share morphs and textures so that is compatible alright.

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 12:38 PM

Perhaps I've not been clear.

The fact that Sydney is a figure bundled with P7 doesn't mean it only works in P7. All figures and props that work in P7 also work in P6 don't they? It's just that you don't own them unless you buy P7.

The original post said "I'm making some more figures and props -- are enough people using P6 that I should make it compatible, or can I use P7?"

My point (which may be wrong) is this: figures and props work identically in P6 and P7. It is not possible to make them incompatible. If you become convinced that you will support P6 or that you won't support P6, what would you differently? As far as I can tell, the question is meaningless, unless there is, in fact, some sort of difference. 

So my proposition was this:

1. Can somebody identify a different in figures or props P6 versus P7?
  2. If not, then the original poster is getting irrelevent answers to a meaningless question. Who cares how many of us use P6 and not P7, if there is no difference?

On the other hand, if there is a difference, not only does it matter but I'd actually like to know what new feature I could take advantage of in P7, because so far I've decided not to use it.

And the version number doesn't count, that just tells you what sort of file format you are dealing with. For example, my experience in the material room is that P6 materials, even though they can be different than P5 (there are new parameters on some of the nodes) still they are written by P6 and P5 the same way. The version number is 5, regardless of which program wrote the material file.

Also, P7 has introduced no new nodes, but again has some new node parameters, and still it is writing version 5 into the mat files.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

slinger ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 1:40 PM

I'm still at P6 and likely to stay there.  I can't see being able to justify the cash for an upgrade any time soon.

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 7:38 PM

I am still using p4 propack and p5 but mostly propack. :tt2:

dlk30341 ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 8:19 PM

Ditto Slinger.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 11:08 PM

I just got Poser7, but until I get comfortable with it (and the bugs get worked out) my main program is going to be Poser 6.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Sat, 06 January 2007 at 11:57 PM

Quote - I went back to P6 from P7.  The firefly render in P7 is super quick, but has too many artifacts no manner the setting.  Going have to wait for SR1 to come out. XP

Odd, I haven't seen any artifacts yet in P7.

I found P6 to be useless as a renderer and seeing as P7 is fast,  and I have yet to get an out of memory error, it is staying! LOL

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 7:15 AM

Quote - > Quote - I'm curious, how do you make a P7 prop or figure that is incompatible with P6?

Will that work if your using poser 5 and the figure is made for lets say P7?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

KyReb ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 8:05 AM

Poser 6.

Havent really seen anything in Poser 7 to persuade me to upgrade.

infinity10 ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 11:50 AM

I got Poser 6 on my older machines and Poser 7 on my newer one.  Using both, because the third-party python scripts I like using in Poser 6, are working in Poser 7.

Eternal Hobbyist

rain ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 12:09 PM

I'm using P6 and have no intention at this point of buying P7.  Things could change though '-)

Singular3D ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 2:30 PM

Still use Poser 6, although I have Poser 7. I often use Carrara import and I hadn't time enough to test if this works fine with P7. Maybe when I upgrade to my new PC...

lesbentley ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 4:36 PM · edited Sun, 07 January 2007 at 4:37 PM

Still using Poser 6, hell! I'm still using Poser 4!

stewer ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 5:09 PM

Quote - I'm curious, how do you make a P7 prop or figure that is incompatible with P6?

For one thing, you could use the valueOpKey feature. See the Poser 7 manual, appendix "DEPENDENT PARAMETERS". Or use textures in .hdr or OpenEXR format.

egaeus ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 6:26 PM

I still use Poser 4.  Poser 5 was too buggy, and from what people have said about later versions, the same thing applies.  I wouldn't expect a majority of people to be into P7 before at least a year -- after the service releases have come out.

Mike

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 7:38 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Still using p6. Maybe if I find 7 on ebay for $0.50 or something, I'll get it, but until then I'm sticking with this version.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 7:46 PM

Still using Poser 6 when I use Poser at all. Updated Poser 6 with Simon & Sidney's Faceroom Data and that pretty much is all I needed from Poser 7.

jartz ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 8:18 PM

I used Poser 6, but will wait to get P7 within the end of the year.  Been hearing that their FireFly renderer is fast - which would be a plus on my book, but I had been purchasing Vue 5 Easel to upgrade to Vue 6 Easel, have purchased V4 and her morphs, and just now purchased more memory (512MB for now).  Plus, I want to see what it would be like to do Poser integration on Vue 6 (with HDRI, AO and such).

Good thread, though.

JB

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asus N50-600 - Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz · Windows 10 Home/11 upgrade 64-bit · 16GB DDR4 RAM · 1TB SSD and 1TB HDD; Graphics: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060 - 6GB GDDR5 VRAM; Software: Poser Pro 11x

Charles_V ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 8:21 PM

Before I even consider a software upgrade, I need a memory upgrade.   Poser 6 is choking on just 1 gig of ram, even when I unhook the internet, virus, firewall, and other apps hiding in the windows bar >.>  

besides, I've had P6 for a year, and am only now starting ot use it : D  Gosh do I suck!  LOL

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 07 January 2007 at 10:04 PM

Good heavens, still on 5..and that was free. Otherwise I'm in the same boat as DPHoadley..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 12:58 AM

I'm so up to my neck in nodes that last night when my wife insisted that I put the Sound of Music in my computer's DVD Player, I could have sworn that Julie Andrews was singing: 'The hills are alive with NODES of music....'

I guess that that means that Poser is now in my blood, like an abusively addictive substance.
David P. Hoadley

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:33 AM

LOL DP I'm so glad to hear that. For so long you've lived without access to those darn nodes. Every time a discussion of some interesting shader came up you would opine "But what about us P4 users, we have no nodes?"

Are you wishing you never got P5 now? Hehehe.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:46 AM

right now I have Propack, Poser5, Poser6 installed & I'm seriously considering sweet talking the missus into the Poser7 upgrade, maybe I'll persuade her it's a good idea for an anniversary present again ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 7:53 AM

dphoadley@bagginsbill
Yes, you're right, and I am very glad that CP gave me the chance to upgrade with their FREE P5 download.  Just a glance at my gallery, and you can SEE the difference between my Pro Pac and P5 renders (background using displacement maps, water created by raytracing, etc.)
But there was a point to that old carping.  Actually, what used to irritate me was the blind presumptious ASSUMPTION that everybody was using P6, and/or nobody was using P4 or Pro Pac anymore.  Now we have the updated version to that old presumption: **How many still use Poser 6 -- Everyone at Poser 7 yet?
Not only do I not use Poser 7 yet, but I don't even use Poser 6. 
I do wish everybody well, but wish they'd quit measuring the whole world just by their own physical selves.
Yours truly,
David P. Hoadley

**PS: I live in a country that isn't always attuned to the finer points of decorum, so if I've sounded arrogant or patronizing, please believe me that that wasn't my intent.
DPH

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 2:55 PM

It would help if people mentioned which version of poser they are using for tutorials and even for questions in the forum. Apart from p4 and propack not using nodes p5 and p6 have different nodes and version 7 probably has other different nodes so it would be easier for everyone to say which version you are using.

Nybras ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 12:29 PM

Learning to use Poser6 wont up-grade untill all the bugs have been fixed in Poser7:D

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote - Learning to use Poser6 wont up-grade untill all the bugs have been fixed in Poser7:D

You'll be sticking with Poser 6 forever then? snicker

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Nybras ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 1:05 PM

lol. Lucifer_The_Dark, How's about i wait another 12 months untill it's more "Stable" as there's probly always going to be bugs in it. That better? lol

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 1:19 PM

hehehe one demon to another yeah I think that sounds good ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.