Thu, Sep 19, 4:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: iridescence

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 2:50 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:22 AM

I have Vue 6, and have imported a model of the movie version of the starship Enterprise into the program.  I've played around with the settings, and tried working with the function editor, but I would like to know if there is any method to produce multi-colored highlights from the model, to produce the iridescence of the original.   From what I can tell of the function editor, highlights end up being produced by a number, and there is no way to connect a color map to a function for highlights.  I've attached an image of what I have so far.

thanks,

greg

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 2:56 PM

file_367633.jpg

So, the image didn't attach....

Warangel ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 5:04 PM

You can actually choose what colours get reflected from each material you use outside of the function editor, in the advanced material editor. 

I am sure it can be done in the function editor as well, I just don't know how.

redtrek ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 5:12 PM

bruno021 ( ) posted Fri, 02 February 2007 at 5:14 AM

You want multicolored highlights? Don't really understand what you want to achieve, would be good to see the original model to better underdtand. You can do many things in the function editor to edit highlights.

When in the advanced material editor, you'll notice that highlihght colour, highlight intensity and highlight size have a lightning icon before their name. This means that this constant parameter cxan be extracted and edited in the function editor. And you can create a variable function as well.
Si I would extract the constant colour parameter, and replace this K node by a colour map node, and choose color correction-HSL shift, and tick "allow luminous colours". I would then create another colour node connected to this hsl shift node, make this node a gradient. Edit the gradient colours, and then play with the hsl sift. This node is only here to make your gradient luminous, but since it shifts hsl values, it will change your gradient colours a lot.
Then back in your viewports, check how everything looks now.

farkwar ( ) posted Fri, 02 February 2007 at 5:30 AM

Bruno,

Please explain what you are talking about.

I think I know a little about Vue, in the short time I have played with it.

But I have no idea what you are talking about.  As I am sure, that anyone 'lower' in base knowledge would have less of a clue.

Maybe the OP is more advanced than me, and understands you.  Hope so.  I don't.

redtrek ( ) posted Fri, 02 February 2007 at 2:44 PM

redtrek ( ) posted Fri, 02 February 2007 at 3:22 PM

I'm not sure why my posts are not showing, but I'll try again.  When I hit the lightning bolt button, i get a warning about this function being available only in Vue Infinite, but it does show "connected".  If I try to then edit the color, Vue 6 crashes.

redtrek ( ) posted Fri, 02 February 2007 at 5:08 PM

file_367776.jpg

I found a possible workaround.  I had previously taken the texture map I'm using to generate highlights, and I colorized it.  I then created a new material layer with the colored map, with about 35% presence with the alpha boost, and below is what I came up with.  It is not quite what I am looking for, but it may work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.