Sun, Sep 22, 1:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:34 pm)

Subject: Poser Crash...can I shoot myself now?

nikitacreed ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2001 at 11:16 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:22 AM

AGGGGGHHHHHH! I had her! I had her! I was modeling Winnowill...and I had her. I saved my work frequently....but you know how it is...that last part I was right on...everything was working perfectly. I had the tiny mouth looking right, I had the big eyes looking right, I had the tiny nose looking right, I had the long thin body looking right, I had the texture matched up perfectly. Everything was coming out perfect except the hands and feet which needed work. So guess what happens during that last wonderful moment when everything is coming together? POSER CRASHES!! And now she's gone. :o( I can probably duplicate her...but I bet she will never look as perfect as she did. I could just break something. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! On a more happy note...Leetah is coming along well. sigh

br0ken ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2001 at 11:29 PM

Ever since I formatted my drive, installed windows 2000 pro and reinstalled poser it has never crashed. On win 98/ME it crashed hourly, and 50% of the time when I started a render at over 2500x2500 x200dpi resolution. Same goes for photoshop.

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 12:27 AM

annoying when that happens na Niki? had a huge 10figure render all set up ...and it crashed on the save 8 sigh.... such is life

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 2:37 AM

I learned years ago to save often... and save under 2 or 3 names in rotation. (An Amiga killed a file and 3 days of my time with it.) If it corrupts the file by crashing during a save operation, you still have a usable file from within the last hour... and maybe even minutes depending upon how compulsive you are. Carolly

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 3:21 AM

But Carolly.. that'd mean that I'd have to be.... gasp... organized!!! 8 ) I'[ll definately try it your way on the big ones 8 ) thanks

aheinz ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 3:43 AM

Two comments on the Windows OS: 1) Windows 98/ME do not handle huge memory requests well. This is noticable with many progamms that are using temporarily AND frequently huge amounts of memory. In some cases the programs are the ones that do not clean up the memory as they should, but rather often the memory manager of Win98 can be blamed for misbehaving. This is especially true when the system is extensivly swapping, cause of lack of real memory. 2.)To make it short: In always any case the problems disapear if Windows 2000 Pro is installed. IMHO this comes from two reasons. First the memory manager is much more stable under heavy system loads AND the NTFS file system used under NT/Win2000 is much more robust as the FAT32 system used by Windows 98/ME. Thus it survives crashes of programms by far better. 3.) Always check your filesystem after a crash (!) AND clean up temporary files. If you do not - you'll make any problem worse than it already is. NEVER BOOT OR WORK FROM AN UNCHECKED FILE SYSTEM AFTER A CRASH - NEVER EVER !. 3.) The recomendations from Wizzard and hauksdottir are realy good --> because saving over the same file almost ever results in a loss of the old AND the new file, if something goes wrong. 4.) I am not a "Microsoft Man" - and they do not sponsor me in any way (Quite the opposite: If I have the choice I go for UNIX )

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 4:21 AM

Well now I know why....I am running on WinME. sigh I guess I better save up my pennies for Win2000 pro, because as I get better and start doing more...this will just keep on happening to me huh? I did save her as a *.pz3 file before those final perfect morphs, so I am hoping I can duplicate the process from that last file. We shall see. Cross you fingers for me.:o) Thanks guys:o)

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 4:31 AM

crosses toes ermm.. cause tis hard enough to type without crossed fingers 8 ) the best of fortune to ye Niki

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 5:41 AM

LMAO! :o) I decided to take break from good 'ole Winnie and go back to those textures and characters I was working on. I get side-tracked to easily. heehee

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 5:51 AM

I used to get sidetracked... nowadays I tend to get derailed 8 ) enjoy 8 )

neurocyber ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 9:33 AM

(Win2000 Info add on.) Check Toms Hardware guide on Via KX133 chipset mother boards in reguards to Windows2000. The first KX133s didn't support AGP correctly in Window2000. See Toms for details but I thought it would help to share the info. I'm buying Windows2000 my self and I just looked into my Abit KA7-100 and found it's a KX133. Oops. Time for and upgrade! :)

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 9:41 AM

Thanks neurocyber. I will have my husband decipher that. He's hardware...I'm software. LOL!

Mercy ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:32 AM

Nikitacreed.... Winnowill? Leetah? drools Oh puhleeeze tell me you're going to do Cutter and Skywise and possible the cubs as well? Not the young cubs, but the newer, older ones from like the newer comics? Oh I'd just /die/ to see a WIP on either Winnowill or Leetah... am a major ElfQuest fan LOL

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 8:17 PM

file_170675.jpg

LOL! I am a huge ElfQuest fan myself! I still have *alot* of work to do. I plan on doing all of them if I can do it without pulling my hair out. LOL! I will show you a photo of a Sun Villager in progress....but please keep in mind...she still needs *ALOT* of work. ;o) I am not ready to show Winnie yet...like I said above...I have to begin again.:o( I actually was planning on doing Ember soon (the older version), she's gonna be a toughie...shes so damn *thin*. Also keep in mind...I can't model hair and clothes, so it may be awhile before I can make that stuff for them. Until then...it will be just the characters. Oh yeah...that's Kozaburo's hair thrown on so she wouldn't be bald. LOL! I need to make her mouth a *tiny* bit smaller and work on the nose some, but I am not going to try and duplicate them with the exact proportions they are drawn with because they begin to just look funny in Poser with such teeny mouths and nose. So I decided to just get as close to it as I could and still maintain a bit of realism, so to speak.

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 9:30 PM

Very very close Niki... I hope your backup file'll let you get a huge leap on getting to where ye were.. it looks like tis going to be a great series of chara.. heh... when you're ready.. do up a scene and send it fto Wendy Pini I'm sure she'd be erally happy 8 )

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:04 PM

Thanks Wizzard! I planned to do just that. I have been in contact with she and Richard in the past about PSP Tubes, wallpapers and such. Unfortunately, they couldn't give me permission to redistribute the tubes. I am planning on sending copies to them, but I may not be able to redistribute the characters. Which I understand perfectly, I will just use them for my personal works. Richard mentioned they may try to make a downloads page on elfquest.com, but so far, I haven't seen any news about it. Hopefully if the characters do come out well enough, I can talk them into it. LOL!

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:19 PM

Cool beans 8 ) get some of the younger people interested in a fine fantasy series 8 )

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:30 PM

That's the idea! Younger folks don't know what they are missing.;o) Good grief...now I feel old. LOL! I am too young to feel old.

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:43 PM

that's ko.. happens to all of ye eventually 8 ) when you start remembering E.C. Comics, The Shadow, and Tom Mix with fondness then you worry 8 )

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:45 PM

LOL! I am not that old. heehee Just teasing ya Wizzard!;o)

Wizzard ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 10:49 PM

heh heh heh heh.. I am 8 )

Mercy ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 11:21 PM

OH! nikita, she's awsome :) You're doing a great job! Keep it up and keep us posted on what the Pini's have to say regarding the characters... and I'm sure if you asked real nice and submitted pics that some of the fabulous clothing/hair makers around here would be pleased to lend their talents to your project :) Something to keep in mind.

nikitacreed ( ) posted Sat, 12 May 2001 at 11:30 PM

One can hope they would help! LOL! I tried doing some myself. Can you say "disaster"? LMAO! I have tried to keep the shape of the top of the head somewhat intact so that people will be able to use any hair for Posette on them, but so far, I have to scale all the hair to 106% to make it fit, which only works well on some hairdos. I have no idea how to re-remodel te hair to fit. I may be able to come up with something for clothes, it will just require clever use of transparency maps, with which I am so far less than clever. I am working on it though. I wasn't sure if anyone would be really interested in these characters. I was mainly doing them because they seem to me to be the ultimate test in working with morphs. LOL! Now that I know I am not the only huge Pini fan....I will get back to work on them and email the Pini's as soon as I have a decent pic to show them. heehee I really hope they let me offer in them in free stuff for everyone. I would love to see more ElfQuest inspired digital art.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.