Tue, Oct 22, 8:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 7:36 am)

Subject: The Oracle in 300

RealDeal ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 5:03 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:44 AM

I hope someone can help out with this.
I just got back from seeing 300; I KNOW i've seen the imagery used in the scene for the Oracle, but I can't for the life of me remember where; all I'm seeing with google is that they recreated Miller's comic, but I know I've seen that, either in a painting or in some Poser-related art.
Anyone?

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 5:08 PM

Hi RealDeal,

Waterdance

'Nuff Said
Patorak

RealDeal ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 6:23 PM

Uh.
Nope, not 'nuff said for me, sorry.
Actually, I keep thinking it might be the loading screen to poser 4 or poser 5; I saw both of them several thousand times, and it seems right, but I don't actually remember what they look like, and I'n not yet obsessed enough with the mystery to dust off my old version (when I installed Poser 6, Poser 4 Pro stopped working. I know it's not supposed to do that, but it did).

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 7:04 PM

Hi RealDeal
http://www.amazon.com/Water-Dance-Howard-Schatz/dp/1888001208 was a photography exposition that pre dates Poser 4.

'Nuff Said,
Patorak 

RealDeal ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 10:14 PM

Ahhh.
Nope. Thats not it. What i'm remembering is EXACTLY like the imagery used in the movie; the Schatz stuff is good, though, and in the same general theme.
Hey, I'm probably hallucinating, don't worry about it.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 9:57 AM

I want to see that movie very much. Is it pretty historically based or glammed up Hollywood style?
I wonder if the movie makes mention of the 1000 Thespians hoplites that also stayed behind with Leonidas?

My Facebook Page

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 10:29 AM

We've been discussing the movie at the University where I teach.  The Thespians were on the "other side of the gates" and the Spartans were the shock troops that held back the Persians, according to one of our faculty historians.  Not personally having been there, I don't think there's a truly accurate and unbiased record of the situation, but it's a great story none the less.

Arvanor ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 2:08 PM

The movie is based on Frank Miller's comic so i would rather say it is socalled popcorn cinema but i wanna see that film. It is so unfair that we here in Germany have to wait until 5th of April...

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 7:19 PM

Quote - We've been discussing the movie at the University where I teach.  The Thespians were on the "other side of the gates" and the Spartans were the shock troops that held back the Persians, according to one of our faculty historians.  Not personally having been there, I don't think there's a truly accurate and unbiased record of the situation, but it's a great story none the less.

This is so true I guess it depended on which historian's version you went with Greek or Persian. There are various accounts to the actual battle one being when Leonidas found out that the Persians had found the trail around the narrow pass they were defending and engaged on a pincer movement Leonidas gathered a council of war together  to discuss a quiet withdraw of the main Greek army back to defend Athens. This account also states a contingent of about 700-1000 Thespians led by general Demophilus the son of Diadromes, refused to leave with the other Greeks, but cast their lot with the Spartans. Some historians also known to have written that there were actually 1500 men involved in the very last stand at Thermopylae Spartan, Thespian and Thebans.

Anyway I'd like to see this movie. When I was a kid I saw another movie made in 1962 "The 300 Spartans" it was good but I was a kid then and really dug those kind of movies. LOL!

My Facebook Page

JQP ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 9:51 PM

It's a movie based on a comic book adaptation of history.  So, no, it isn't historically accurate.  It's got comic book physics, comic book aesthetics, etc., too.

RealDeal ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:24 AM

It is, essentially, a comic book made into a movie; I doubt very seriously that the Spartans had leather speedo's as a uniform, and had a average bodyfat index of less than 1%.
The main thing that bothered me was their treatment of female spartans; they went to a little effort in showing that the spartan women had more liberties than the average, but didn't show that they received combat training.
One benefit was quickly evident, though; right after taking my 14 & 16 year olds to see it, they were fighting, literally, over my "The Peloponnesian War" books; if interest holds long, maybe I can hook them on "the 10,000".

metabog ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 11:52 AM

It was great visually, up there with Sin City and Sky Captain for unique visual feel. Not a single second was shot in natural light, it was all vfx. The leather speedos, scarlet red capes, and the gym-body aesthetic added to the comic book feeling. Xerxes looks like a cross between freak drag, body piercing spokesmodel, and a Las Vegas showgirl.

MartinW ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 12:15 PM

Sealtm2: Frank Miller has said he in turn was inspired by the 1962 film "The 300 Spartans"

So with the success of '300' I wonder if there is any chance of a film of the battle of Salamis next?

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 8:06 PM

the guy who did 'Sin City' did '300'

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Bobasaur ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 2:59 PM

I do know that the actress who played the Oracle was "Kelly Craig." I also know that they filmed her undersawer to get the surreal effect. I also know that "The History Channel" did a special on the battle the night before the movie came out (as part of their "Barbarian Week" festivities). Apparantly a number of things about the movie are at least somewhat historically accurate but there's obviously been some dramatic license taken. In the movie some of the other Greeks do stay with the Spartans. They are not referred to as Thespians, though, and it's basically a token few. BTW you can use Google Earth to search your way to Thermoplyea. It's rather cool to see the real area. As far as the imagery of the oracle, It kinda reminds me of some of the older software startup images - maybe an older version of Adobe Illustrator. There are a number of comparisons of the video clip with Miller's original drawing online. Just do a search for "Kelly Craig." I couldn't find a good picture of her in real life but I found a number of her in costume.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Safetyman ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 4:48 PM

Attached Link: Profile

For those interested, the oracle sequence was done using Lightwave. Very cool stuff.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.