Sun, Oct 6, 12:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: My new passion ... lookalike morphs

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:21 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 10:29 AM

I recently took my gallery down to start all over again. Reason being, because I've barely posted anything in the last couple of years, and I have learned so much during that time so I didn't feel that my gallery was representative of the art I can do now.

Anyway, there are a couple of new images in my gallery that reflect my new artistic passion. One of the reasons I have been working on a Scarlett Johansson morph is because I wanted to artistically reproduce the picture of her in the role she played in "Girl with a Pearl Earring".  Still looking for the right clothing, but in comparing the two pictures side by side (her actual photo is faded in the background of this image), I can see that I need to narrow her chin a bit, and add a little more roundness to the tip of her nose. And maybe lower her mouth just a tad.

But, it's getting there!  I have lots of other ideas for movie or TV celebrities, but I'm posting this for 2 reasons. (1) For feedback on how to improve the morph, and for clothing suggestions for the goal image

If you have any other ideas for female movies or TV characters that I can have some fun with, let me know.  I'm having a ball with this theme!

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:23 PM

file_373041.jpg

Oops, picture didn't take. Let's try this again LOL

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:25 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:26 PM

David Tennant
Christopher Eccleston
Paul McGann
Slyvester McCoy
Colin Baker
Peter Davidson
Tom Baker
Jon Pertwee
Patrick Troughton
Willam Hartnell

John Barrowman
Elizabeth Sladen

*is forceably dragged from the keyboard for only posting 1 female... **

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:26 PM

LOL Do I see a theme going on there, Khai? LMAO

Anasta ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:41 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 4:42 PM

I would love to see maybe Sandra Bullock or Reese Witherspoon or Lisa Kudrow or Minnie Driver.... or you could do Eddie Izzard in full makeup! (hehe been watching The Riches and he looks funny as a man) Just a few here :P LOL

Casette ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:03 PM

WOW !!!

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:03 PM

Sandra Bullock in the funny bell-ringing outfit from "Miss Congeniality" would be fun. LMAO

Reese Witherspoon from "Legally Blonde"

Lisa Kudrow and Mia Sorvino from "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" LOL!!! Complete with Madonna-like clothes.

Minnie Driver ... haven't seen The Riches yet. I'll have to check into it.

Carioca ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:24 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:34 PM

I request the following actresses:

Autumn Reeser
Genevieve Cortese
Kristen Kreuk
Maggie Grace
Maggie Lawson
Margarita Levieva
Mischa Barton

And the following models:

Adriana Lima
Karolina Kurkova

And the following footballers:

Pelé
Romário
Zico
Maradona

scott8539 ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:27 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:29 PM

file_373051.jpg

here is some of the ones i made.alyssa milano,elvira,arnold,j fonda.

fygomatic ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 5:59 PM

Hi Deecey, welcome to the club! Your Scarlett looks awesome. I think the nose could be improved though. The real Scarlett has a very knobby nose. In front or 3/4th views of her face, her nose juts out when it reaches the ball of her nose. Also, you might try a darker lip color to make the lips stand out a bit more.

Carioca: My latest pic in my gallery is loosely based on Adriana Lima and I have a Karolina Kurkova in the works.

scott8539: Great work, I particularly like the Arnold :-)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:01 PM

I'm honored and humbled by the comments from the great fygomatic. I am totally in love with your Jessica Alba morph. LOL

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:17 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:19 PM

**Women:                                                              **
Nellie Furtado                                                       
Jodie Foster                                                          
Bridget Fonda                                                       
Michelle Pfeiffer                                                    
Demi Moore                                                          
Nicole Kidman                                                     
Jolene Blalock                                                      
Liv Tyler                                                                  
Halle Berry
Christina Ricci
Jessica Alba
Joely Richardson
Kelly Carlson

Men:
Richard Burgi
Dylan Walsh
Julian McMahon
Clive Owen
Bruce Willis
Ewan McGregor
Chuck Liddell
Justin Timberlake

Carioca ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:19 PM

fygomatic, I checked. Fantastic work.

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:20 PM

PBM, have a few of those women in the works already! LOL We have the same tastes.

On the men side, I might give them a try with Vittorio, since he uses the same head as V4. I've also thought of George Clooney, Denzel Washington, David Duchovny, and ... damn, I can't find a decent photo of Alan Alda where he doesn't have his mouth open! LMAO

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:34 PM

I'm always in awe of good look-a-likes.  For some reason I just don't have the eye or the patience to master the art form myself.  Anyway, keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more.

fygomatic ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:34 PM

Thanks Deecey :blushing:, thanks Carioca!

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:38 PM

...the Master
Davros
Yeti
K9
Dalek
Ice Warrior

is dragged off again

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 7:15 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 7:16 PM

Quote - David Tennant
Christopher Eccleston
Paul McGann
Slyvester McCoy
Colin Baker
Peter Davidson
Tom Baker
Jon Pertwee
Patrick Troughton
Willam Hartnell

John Barrowman
Elizabeth Sladen

*is forceably dragged from the keyboard for only posting 1 female... **

Khai, you already know about this one, but since you brought up the subject, here's my spin on Tom Baker.

Two substantial issues, however.  One, I'd love to share the face pose (.FC2), but it would only be useful to owners of "Brom for Michael 3" by Beth Capsces.  Two, he looks decent closed lipped, but I've yet to recreate that insane grin of Tom's.

Still, I thought I'd show my meager attempts.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 7:17 PM

Two, he looks decent closed lipped, but I've yet to recreate that insane grin of Tom's.

That's the toughest part of these lookalike morphs. In order to work out all of the expressions correctly, there would have to be dozens of custom morphs to anticipate them all. Which is why you see them mostly with neutral expressions. 8-)

Kalypso ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 7:17 PM
Site Admin

Let me just add to the list :)

Rufus Sewell
Gerard Butler
Vincent D'Onofrio

Salma Hayek
Audrey Hepburn
Ingrid Bergman

I'd also really like to know more details about Face Gen.  Can the morphs you and fygomatic have been making be distributed?  Are you planning on doing any tutorials for this program?

Thanks!

fygomatic ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 7:45 PM

I actually create my morphs in lightwave using the V3 head, but i'm curious about facegen too. I was under the impression that it only worked on the low poly facegen mesh, how does this customizer work?

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 8:05 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 8:08 PM

LOL VERY long drawn-out process.

The customizer allows you to take any head, neck, and eye geometry and turn it into a set of files that are compatible with FaceGen Modeler.

However, the conversion process is not for the faint of heart. It's tedious and time consuming.

BASIC steps, in order to create a version of a head that works with existing morphs is as follows:

PART 1 -- CHANGE THE UVs of the Head and Neck

(1) Remap head so that no UVs overlap, and assign to a SINGLE material name. This means rearranging all head polygons on a single texture map (instead of multiples as they are now), and the multiple material names will go away as well.  In the case of V4, there are some head parts on the torso body map as well.

(2) You shouldn't have to change the UVs on the neck.

(3) Change the UVs of the left and right eye so that their layouts do not overlap, and assign left eye one material and right eye one material.

PART 2 - MORPH THE HEAD AND NECK TO CONFORM TO THE GUIDE HEAD

Customizer comes with a guide head that it compares your head to as the starting shape. It's HUGE in comparison to Poser figures, and it's also laying down on the floor. You have to rotate and scale the head to place it in the same approximate size and scale of the Poser head. THEN you have to morph the Poser figure's head to match as closely as possible to this head shape. It's important to match it as closely as possible, otherwise your results won't be real accurate for morph or texture results.

Now, the hard part is, the neckline is very much different than those we have in Poser figures. What I've been doing is using the figure's built-in morphs to get feature placement as close as possible, and then completing the morph in an external program. A LOT OF CARE has to be taken to make sure that the vertex order doesn't change in this process. Otherwise, you lose the ability to use the heads as a morph target later on.

PART 3 - Import all parts into the Customizer and follow the wizard. The steps in the Customizer are pretty self-explanatory.  Well sort of. To explain them at this point won't make a lot of sense, but if you have the Customizer and want some input I'll be glad to share

A BIG CAVEAT, though.  The only downside to this is that it takes 10-20 hours to generate the cache data that relates YOUR head to the base head. It takes about 8 hours or so on a Dell XPS Dual Core 2 processor, your mileage may vary. And, if you learn after the entire process is finished that your faces don't line up properly or create good character morphs, guess what? You repeat the process all over again.

UPSIDE ... Once you complete the process, you have a head that you can use in FaceGen Modeler, to create an infinite amount of characters with. AND, if you are fortunate enough to do it without breaking the vertex order, you can use the original figure morphs in combination with the FaceGen morphs to create a figure. FaceGen gets the basic head and neck shape, and you can tweak with original figure morphs.

Now that I've totally bored everyone ... LMAO

I will stress, though, that the process of making a model FaceGen compatible is not for the weak at heart. If you are anal about UVs and vertex orders and waiting endless hours to see if things are working right, go for it!

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 8:18 PM

As another thought, Fygomatic, I recall you mentioning that you use LightWave. That's what I used to tweak the geometry. Exported each individual body part (head, neck, lEye, and rEye) separately from Poser. Loaded each part into its own layer. Then selected the head and neck layer together to work on the morphs while keeping the UV data intact.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 9:07 PM

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

masha ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 9:08 PM

file_373077.jpg

What  fun Deecey  I used to have a passion for painting portraits in real media now it's switched to cg ones as well as photo manipulation.    Haven't yet had a go with Poser 7 face gen oddly enough.

Here's a mag foto of Scarlett [ the more references the better. right?]  though it's a different angle to yours the shape of face and nose is quite distinct so it might be useful.

Love the facework on your Cleopatra/Liz Taylor.  This one will no doubt end up as good. :)

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 9:11 PM

Interesting. Her nose looks quite different from straight on than it does sideways. Unless she's had a bit of work done since she did the Pearl Earring movie. ;-)

That's another thing that makes celebrity morphs challenging ... sometimes there are no profile shots, just head-on and 3/4 views. Be nice to find a 3D SK type site for celebrities! LOL

fygomatic ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 10:20 PM

file_373084.jpg

I can remember people's ill-fated attempts to weld the low poly facegen head onto the V3 body, so painful as the customizer process sounds, it sounds like a huge step forward.  Using it in conjunction with lightwave is good too. I suspect there's certain details that customizer or the facegen dials won't be able to capture and you'll have to use lightwave's magnet tool.   Here's a Scarlett profile by the way, I was going to do a version of her a while back.

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 10:32 PM

Oooh, thanks!!!  That will come to good use! I looked all over for one of those! LOL

If you get the Customizer let me know ... I have LOTS of notes I can share.

Pixara ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 11:14 PM

Bravo!  Deecey, fygomatic and scott8539!   Your works are awesome!

I'd like to see Brad Pitt  morphs, of course!

Also, Male celebs:
Eric Bana, 
Hugh Jackman, 
Julian McMahon (the three Aussies were all born in 1968), 
Brad Johnson
Gerald Butler
Clive Owen
Joe Lando
Jason Patric
Michael Pare
Jeremy Northam
Michael Dorn
Martin Scorsese

Female celebs:  
Rachel Weisz 
Liv Tyler 
Jennifer Rubin
Sherilyn Fenn                                                                 
Halle Berry
Gwyneth Paltrow
Natalie Portman 
Keira Knightley

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 11:17 PM

I just had a thought. Vittorio would take V4's head morphs just fine ... and I've already learned she makes a great David Duchovny! LMAO

Michael Pare ... WOW, haven't seen him for a while. Love the Eddie and the Cruisers movie!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 11:24 PM

o.k., I see ya got hugh jackman covered. say no more :lol:

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 11:30 PM · edited Mon, 26 March 2007 at 11:33 PM

I'd also really like to know more details about Face Gen.  Can the morphs you and fygomatic have been making be distributed?  Are you planning on doing any tutorials for this program?

I missed this question ...

I'm not sure, quite exactly. I think the FaceGen folks will allow distribution of a single morph if it's part of a major pack like a character texture, clothing, etc. But for something more than that there might be licensing fees involved. I have to check with them again on that though. But the other issue is how sticky the celebrity morph issue is. There might be legal matters surrounding the distribution of a celebrity likeness and how it is used. And then, it also depends on the celebrity.

So, for the time being until I hear otherwise, this is mostly for my own enjoyment.  I will check into it more though!

As for tutorials ... if there is enough demand for them (there aren't a lot of FaceGen users that I know of), I'll add them to my (rapidly growing according to this thread) to do list! LOL

DCArt ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 11:58 PM

file_373090.jpg

Here's some real fun for you. Here are some V4 heads after they have gone through the PhotoFit process in FaceGen. The eye area looks funny because the lashes aren't transparent ... and of course, the raw FaceGen textures are later blended into the "real" figure's base texture and enhanced afterward.

But ... can you guess who they are? Some are better than others because I had better pictures.

And, try as I may, I really did look for an Alan Alda photo! LOL

Xena ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 12:37 AM

dunno, George Clooney, Elvis, David Duchovney, Catherine Zeta Jones, dunno, Liv Tyler.
:)

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 12:40 AM

The two "dunnos" are because there were few good straight-on photos with mouths closed. The first "dunno" is Gillian Anderson (I SO want to do a "Truth is Out There" render with her, David, and a grey alien! LOL). The second "dunno" is Bette Davis.

Good that they are all recognizeable, though!  I'm going to dig around for some photos of others mentioned here when I have the chance. I'm on a mission!

Xena ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 12:46 AM

Now that you've told me who they are I can see the resemblance :)

leather-guy ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:00 AM

Still taking suggestions?
British actress Jemima Rooper
The cast of Friends
The cast of 70's show
Nikki Cox
Patricia Richardson
Bogart
Debi Mazar
Jeri Ryan
Emma Watson
Mickey Rooney
Judy Garland
Naomi Watts
Alyson Hannigan

(This is fun - ya get a kind of rhythm & want to keep on going g)

leather-guy ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:04 AM

Ooo - just saw the  faces;
My guesses;
Gillian anderson
George Clooney
Elvis
David Duchovney
Catherine Zeta Jones
Bette Davis
Liv Tyler

Some good stuff, there!

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:28 AM

Humphrey Bogart Claude Rains Peter Lorre Conrad Veidt And, of course... Lauren Bacall Katherine Hepburn

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:21 AM

file_373093.jpg

I made a try to make Lucy Liu, see the pic

My Store

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:22 AM

file_373094.jpg

And another one here. Could you make your own? She's so beautiful!

My Store

fygomatic ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 5:52 AM

Wow, those are just amazing. I recognized everyone right off, except for Gillian Anderson, but then I didn't watch many X-Files. I'm definitely jealous, it would take me a year to do that many likenesses in lightwave.

vincebagna: Beautiful character, I'm not much of a Lucy Liu fan though, so I can't comment on the accuracy.

Redfern: I somehow missed your post. Great job on Tom Baker, much better than my attempt :-).

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 7:19 AM
Site Admin

These are just getting better and better!   I recognized all but Gillian too although I must say the men are extraordinarily real-looking!   The whole process is a bit too much for me I'm afraid but I really admire what you're doing.  

And since no one else but me is asking for him here's an image maybe to get you motivated ;)

gagnonrich ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 9:00 AM

Don't forget to use the frame capture feature of a lot of software DVD programs use to play DVDs on PCs. It's a lot easier to locate various angles of characters that are in motion than trying to find a celebrity photo.

My visual indexes of Poser content are at http://www.sharecg.com/pf/rgagnon

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 9:15 AM

Ooooh Kalypso ... yeah nice!

And aren't the male faces fabulous? Hard to believe that is V4! LOL

cspear ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 9:18 AM

file_373110.jpg

For UK members, here's what I'm working on.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 9:37 AM

Vince .. lovely job on Lucy Liu!  She's very striking.

CSpear, not sure who your figure is (not from the UK). But, given the White House photo in the background, and the chair she is sitting on, I suspect she is a news anchor. 8-)

Redfern ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 10:29 AM · edited Tue, 27 March 2007 at 10:30 AM

Quote - Redfern: I somehow missed your post. Great job on Tom Baker, much better than my attempt :-).

Thanks!  I suspect, however, if you could have devoted the time, your efforts would have been positively uncanny and left my attempts coughing in the dust.  I've gotten about as far as I can by morph dials alone without magnets.  (But I royally suck at those!)  And as DeeCey pointed out, expression dials alone with the desired face pose often do not obtain the look desired for other emotional states.  They almost have to be reworked from the defaults upward.

Of course, the hair, scarf and roundeled wall serve as blatant clues as to whom this should resemble.  The best "proof of concept" would have someone able to guess the face from a "clay hued" render without textures, hair or themed clothing.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 10:31 AM

The best "proof of concept" would have someone able to guess the face from a "clay hued" render without textures, hair or themed clothing. <<

And that brings up another point. None of the morphs that I have done would look like the person without textures. It's the combination of the two that has made it work.

Lordy, I couldn't imagine doing a clay render that accurate! LMAO

Mogwa ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 11:54 AM

Some very nice work posted here. This would make for an enjoyable sticky thread. As for requests, how about Kathy Griffin? Preferably nekkid and exhibting her facial features before the latest plastic surgery modifications had a meltdown. Otherwise, she'd look like a carp whose head was run over by red hot sod roller. Eeeep.

DCArt ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 12:06 PM

The only thing I advise for people who are considering getting FaceGen Customizer and Modeler for their own use is to confirm ahead of time with Singular Inversions (the makers of FaceGen) what is OK and what is NOT OK to distribute. If you look at their site, they do have licensing fees to distribute certain things. Best to clarify things directly up front before you invest the money (it's a considerable investment) and time (which can be a precious commodity for a lot of us) into doing this and then find out you can't sell a character that was made with FaceGen.

Which is why, for the most part, I'm doing it for fun and enjoyment. I wanted to get this software for a long time, but couldn't afford it. After coming into some spare change in the last year, it was on the top of the list and I've been having a lot of fun with it. 8-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.