Sun, Oct 6, 1:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Just got my new wide screen monitor

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:25 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 1:29 PM

Whoa! I went from a 17" LCD to this 19" wide screen and what a difference I'm going to have to ge used to this one now. I've got so much room in Poser now it's just feels strange.

My Facebook Page

-BrandyE- ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 6:30 PM

isn't is great!!!!!! i upgraded like that recently and am LOVING it....congrats!

Brandy

FrankT ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 8:03 PM

Aren't they amazing ? I love mine to bits now I've got it properly calibrated

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 9:24 PM

I love my widescreen monitor. Mine is 22" which to me is perfect in Poser...but a bit big for just web surfing.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2007 at 10:01 PM

Quote - I love my widescreen monitor. Mine is 22" which to me is perfect in Poser...but a bit big for just web surfing.

Boy I know that mine is set at 1440x900 and while it's great for poser and PSP it's not so hot for web surfing.

My Facebook Page

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:47 AM

All of the above. Got mine 2 weeks ago. Mine is set for 1600x900.
Drawbacks -
All your nice wallpapers no longer fit.
You need to change your preview window and render sizes to your new screen size.
Text on web pages is very small.
All your old renders now look small and you wish you could do them again.
Other people's renders look too small now.

Don't get me wrong, I love widescreen and could never go back.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:06 AM

My resolution is 1680x1050. 

I have old eyes and I have my monitor pushed to the back of my desk, however I also tend to push my keyboard tray in so that I can get closer to the monitor to see. As a result I end up typing with my keyboard practically hidden under the desktop,  LOL  

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:11 AM

Dual screen is just perfect for working with Poser. I have two 19" 1280x1024 screens hooked up to my main Poser machine, one screen for the document, one screen for the toolboxes/palettes, whatever. Works wonderfully.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:19 AM · edited Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:20 AM

Another observation.
As we naturally see more in a rectangular field rather than a squarish one. perhaps widescreen imitates our natural field of view more than 4x3 screens.
Widescreen also introduces a whole new dynamic into setting up scenes in Poser, and it's not just more room at the edges, but it greatly affects the entire composition process. You are made to think about how to use your new workspace in a completely different ratio. It was quite a  new thought process for me.

12rounds ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 4:01 AM

I too switched my olde and reliable 17" LCD to a wide 22" LCD. I didn't settle for the cheapest, but chose a model that set me back for about 650 USD. No switching back for me. 1680x1050 native resolution, USB hub in which I can plug my pen tablet, keyboard light for working in dark, HDMI for DVD player etc. No regrets here either!

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 8:51 AM

The native resolution for this monitor is 1440x900. If I have it set to anything else a message will pop up constantly telling me for best results please set your monitor to its native setting 1440x900.
Yes, some web pages are very slim looking on a wide screen. However, the daz forum pages fit well they stretch out the whole width of the screen.

My Facebook Page

sirenia ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 1:02 PM

Aaaaaah... come on people !! Give me some snapshots of your desks and screens so i can see (and be jealous) what i do not have yet LOL 🤤

Society failed to tolerate me...

... and i have failed to tolerate society

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:12 PM

file_373137.jpg

> Quote - Aaaaaah... come on people !! Give me some snapshots of your desks and screens so i can see (and be jealous) what i do not have yet LOL 🤤

Sorry for the messy desk.  I need a larger desk but don't have the room for one.   The kitty on the shelf is Chynna.  That's her spot.  The part of my desk by the phone is up for debate, it's usually whichever kitty manages to get there first, hehe

You can see my nifty screensaver!  The only thing I liked about Windows Vista was the bubble screensaver.  I combed through sites on how to get XP to look or act like Vista, and happened upon the screensaver for XP!!! 

The 24" monitor that I returned to Dell filled the space between the top of my 22" monitor and the shelf above, the space to the left of my monitor and about 1/2 the free space between the right side and my telephone.  It really was too big.

Jovial ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 2:38 PM

You guys that cannot easily read the text on your nice high res monitors.

Been there, done that.

There are a number of settings that can help. One of the main ones is the
Display properties (right click on empty desktop) => settings => Advanced => General
and change the DPI setting to 120 (you will need to restart!). This changes everything to be larger.

Using clear type fonts also helps make the most of the available resolution.

If you don't want all application sizes to change then you can use large fonts from the Display properties => Appearance => Font size setting. This will make text easier to read. Obviously you can also do changes on a per application basis, e.g. for Firefox or Word, by changing the default font settings.

HTH,
Jovial.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 3:02 PM

file_373145.gif

> Quote - You guys that cannot easily read the text on your nice high res monitors. > > Been there, done that. > > There are a number of settings that can help. One of the main ones is the > Display properties (right click on empty desktop) => settings => Advanced => General > and change the DPI setting to 120 (you will need to restart!). This changes everything to be larger.

OMG!!!!!!  Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyes are in the in between stage where I don't need glasses for reading, only for distance, but the computer monitor and my television fall in between that.  Not far enough away for me to need glasses to see it, but too close for me to wear my glasses without feeling cross-eyed or getting a headache.

This larger text will surely help. I didn't know about the DPI part.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:25 PM

I tried increasing the DPI to 120 and had to insert my XP home disk in order to do this. Has this happened to anyone else?

My Facebook Page

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:45 PM

Quote - Aaaaaah... come on people !! Give me some snapshots of your desks and screens so i can see (and be jealous) what i do not have yet LOL 🤤

My Facebook Page

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:47 PM · edited Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:48 PM

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 6:51 PM

Quote - I tried increasing the DPI to 120 and had to insert my XP home disk in order to do this. Has this happened to anyone else?

There are options you pick from. I had a choice of using the disk or not. I picked "not".

Darboshanski ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2007 at 10:28 PM

Yup got it  120 DPI is much better!

My Facebook Page

Anasta ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 1:56 AM

You know I was gonna show off my dual monitor setup but then realized I would have to clean off my whole desk.... Do you guys always have such neat desks? LOL

ashley9803 ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 2:26 AM

file_373225.jpg

Mine is clean because the kids have stayed out for a while. Yeh, I like to be close to my speakers.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 4:30 AM

Mine is hardly clean!  It's too cluttered for my liking. I really need to go through those books and give some to the public library.

If it weren't for the stupid broom closet on the otherside of the wall behind my desk, I'd be able to have a nice corner desk. But since I don't own this place, i can't very well knock down a wall,  LOL

Darboshanski ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 8:28 AM · edited Wed, 28 March 2007 at 8:28 AM

That is just the corner shot of my office/den my desk is a huge corner unit. I have an entire left side if the desk wide open were I do my coin photography and other things. To the right another clear area then an attached 3 draw file cabinet. You can see part of my WWI steel helmet but out of the picture is a gas mask LOL. I can't live in clutter or disorganization I'm too OCD for that.

My Facebook Page

12rounds ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 9:32 AM

file_373244.jpg

Here goes... there's a live TV stream from a USB-connected digital receiver in the upper right corner. It's not uncommon for me to tune in to some tv program every once in a while (read: waiting for Poser to finish whatever it's doing at the moment).

sirenia ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2007 at 10:51 AM

file_373250.jpg

Wow thanks !! OMG there are some amazing ones here :blink: I'm was thinking for a long time to buy a second monitor for my other computer and put it beside the one i have (19" Sony SDM-HS94) but i do not like this monitor not much anymore :bored: Now that i've seen some very cool monitors from you guy's... I'm thinking about 2 x 19" widescreens now, however i don't seem to have the needed space in my studio :glare: Hmmm...... maybe i need to throw out some stuff LOL A tip for Khai : love the 3 screen set-up but i would place the computers themselves in another room to get rid of the noisy fans !! I did this myself about two years ago and never ever had such a relaxing place without any noise from machines whatsoever :biggrin: Wim

Society failed to tolerate me...

... and i have failed to tolerate society

danamongden ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 7:21 PM

24" widescreen... 1920x1200

And they say size doesn't matter.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 8:53 PM

Sirenia,

The 16 channel board is not nearly enough...you must upgrade to 32 immeadiately. lol!
Nice setup my fellow musician. 😉

Only one thing missing...the axe!

Comitted to excellence through art.

Batesd ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 10:16 PM

One of the things I found out the hard way is that not all Lcd's are created equal. The first 3 I brought I wound up giving away to family members because the viewing angle was just to shallow. If I moved my head to far from side to side or up and down, the colors would change/brighten dim or whatever.

As someone that needed color fidelity as close as possible to photographic as I could get it, this was unacceptable. I need to know that the colors/shades I choose for my pics was/is true and not just an artifact of what angle I am looking at the screen from.

Eventually I learned about MVA and IPS LCd's and then eventually about Samsungs SPVA screens. Since I also am a Gamer, the best compromise of color and speed was an SPVA screen.

Right Now I am using a Gateway FPD2185W (widescreen) Its actually a rebadged Samsung screen since only they can make SPVA. There are a few small drawbacks to the technology, mainly that its a LOT more expensive than a plain TFT,  but The colors are so unbelievably awesome that you would not believe it without seeing it. People who have regular TFT'S and see my SPVA can't believe what they are looking at.

For those of you out there looking into going flatscreen, do yourself a favor and (unlike me) get it right the first time. If you also game and watch movies, MVA (viewsonic) and SPVA (Samsung) are the ones to watch. (keep in mind not all Samsungs and Viewsonics use this technology)

If Color fidelity as what you are all about then IPS (apple) Is the way to go, but your wallet will sob for mercy. These three LCD types are as close to a a high end regular monitor as you can get in a consumer LCD today.

Next year that will change, and I will be on the hunt again! :-)

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 11:09 PM · edited Tue, 03 April 2007 at 11:14 PM

file_373839.jpg

Samsung 32" high def tv screen on my main with a 17' as my second monitor. Husby got it for me for Christmas. Just moved so my den is a total mess.

Marque ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 11:12 PM

file_373840.jpg

Any yep I'm a gamer too, play 4 accounts on daoc, just cancelled the 5th one, was spending too much...lol  This is the other side of the den, husby is building shelves in the closet this weekend so I can start moving books back in and the other computer.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.