Mon, Sep 23, 3:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 2:16 pm)

Subject: Want critiques?

atilla39 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 12:44 PM

I want to find ways to inprove on the work I do and learn new things. Sock it to me

johnfields ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 1:56 PM · edited Sat, 31 March 2007 at 1:57 PM

in order for this to work the artist needs to accept the crits with the same courtesy that they were given - If an artist gets all defensive and argumenitive over a crit I give - it will be the last  one I give. I just gave valid crits to a member who asked for crits and all they did was send me a msg defending the peice and  telling me "that's the way I wanted it" - then it's perfect and you dont want crits.

Tiari ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 5:16 PM

Those adding favorites to the list need to remember to make the comment "critique group".   I do get others who favorite me, and i would really hate to assume they want critique and get called a troll later.....heh.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 5:58 PM · edited Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:06 PM

Johnfields I hope you don't drop out of the whole effort over something like that - I think most of us are very accepting of feedback of any kind, and we welcome yours.  Criticism - your criticism - is valuable, that's the whole point of this exercise.
edit:  It would probably go a long way if people would put a lot of detail in their introduction comments - if something is done for a reason and may provoke some comment, explain it, like the crazy unrealistic hair in a lot of my artwork.

My Freebies

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:17 PM

that would really help, just because it might also be the best place to help.  if you have a signature effect or look, i think a good critique can help you refine and grow it, make it even stronger.

Jochen38 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:37 PM · edited Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:39 PM

Wow....a lot´s going on here and I wonder where you guys and ladies got the time to make such a lot of impressive works. That´s an art too ;o) My mail account gets flooded in the past few days. I think for me it has two effects. I learn not only by being commented (hey I´ve uploaded nothing in the past few days and my older works are waiting ;o)) but also by reading the very competend critiques on other images.
One thing more, please patience....English isn´t my native language and in some cases it´s a little bit difficult for me to explain my thoughts in a foreign language (but I learn here a lot too, that´s the third effect by hanging around in this thread) and if you found errors...keep them ;o) Thx.

Regards

Jochen

Propschick ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 8:29 PM

Everyone, just take me out of your favorites. I don't want to participate. Thanks.

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 9:13 PM

Done. I'm sorry you feel that way. :(

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 9:46 PM

Quote - Everyone, just take me out of your favorites. I don't want to participate. Thanks.

I'll keep you in my favs and just remove the "Critique Group" tag. 

I STILL want to view your art on a regular basis.  You kick butt and then some!  Some of your subject matter isn't what I'd usually pick to view--but you have great enough mastery to show burlap bags and make them the most facinating things I ever saw!

Sorry to see you leave the group. :(

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

johnfields ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 9:55 PM

DONE

johnfields ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 10:02 PM

Quote - Johnfields I hope you don't drop out of the whole effort over something like that - I think most of us are very accepting of feedback of any kind, and we welcome yours.  Criticism - your criticism - is valuable, that's the whole point of this exercise.
edit:  It would probably go a long way if people would put a lot of detail in their introduction comments - if something is done for a reason and may provoke some comment, explain it, like the crazy unrealistic hair in a lot of my artwork.

I intend to paticipate fully as I want to learn as much as possible and I LIKE hearing crits, that's how you improve. My BFA progam in college had a portfolio review- THAT was harsh this stuff is mostly well intentioned people taking the time to give a well thought critique - if you can't take a critique you probaly should not join this group- if you don't agree with the crit  dont apply it in your work - this is about honest PEER review not a popularity contest.- there are so many talented people here I personally look forward to the crits!

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 10:06 PM

I just wanted to let you all know I took a lot of your advice to heart on my last image and completely redid it.  You can find it here as a repost.  Let me know what you think of this one.  I think it's a lot better.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Bea ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 11:31 PM

It tells me I can't comment on the same image twice - but I think the dog is much much better - no tail but at least he doesn't look downtrodden.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 11:44 PM

Actually, Bea, he has a little docked tail that is sticking nearly straight up, like a true Parson's Terrier.  I probably should have posted it as a new image but, what the hey ... live and learn.  Did you like the lighting and scene composition better?

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Bea ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 11:54 PM

I think so :) 
I saw the docked tail :)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 2:22 AM · edited Sun, 01 April 2007 at 2:27 AM

Propschick - i'm sorry to lose you. 
Victoria_Lee - i think your improvements are great, and made it a much stronger image.  though both are really good, in any case.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 7:58 AM

You can delete your previous comment and resubmit if you like - since so much is changed it may make good sense.  Artist gets a new note too.

My Freebies

Circumvent ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 1:58 PM

Karen
Sure I'd like to join but I don't have to much in my gallery.  I'd like to think this will motivate  me to post more.  Thanks.
Adrian

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 4:21 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for the critiques they have been so kind and generous to give my images so far. I've really learned and in an instance or two even re-learned somethings.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 7:44 PM

I'm sure we all are (I certainly am).  I'm really pleased the way this has been working out.

My Freebies

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 11:18 PM

Just wanted to thank those of you who have stopped by my gallery and left helpful comments. I almost did not post my latest image because it is an experiment in Poser water - very difficult. I wanted a realistic water spray without postwork. Well, it did not turn out that great, but I got some excellent comments. I normally do not do much postwork but will have to because Poser is not able to do everything I want it to, drats!

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 11:36 PM

FYI, I thought a little bit about ideas for other tools but they started to go pretty far afield.  There are three basic ways to simulate water:

• Sim the physics in freeware, like Blender
  • Sim the physics in hugely expensive apps like RealFlow, or some compromise like Metaballs in Vue
  • Fake it in postwork, or with some one-off model you buy

It's damn hard to simulate real world physics, just based on my cloth experience.

My Freebies

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 11:42 PM

Thanks! has to be something cheap, LOL!

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 2:40 AM

I'm sure most of us got email notification about this already, but I see that the disturbance of the Most Favorited list is fixing itself pretty readily - I went from 6th to 32nd.  The late joiners are bumping up, and the early joiners are scrolling off the bottom (which is fine for me).  The regular top X types are floating back up to the top.

My Freebies

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 3:04 AM

Circumvent and atilla39, got you added, welcome!

Propschick, sorry to see you go, I'll remove you.

================

I've just published the first of a two-part article on the front page, all about giving critique. Here's the link:
http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13546

Part 2 (next week) will give some hints on how to receive critique :-)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 4:24 AM

That's a good, direct article.  I have a small correction for you though:  this isn't limited to Poser work, even if a lot of us primarily use Poser.  Might want to broaden the advert at the bottom of the article to not exclude anybody.  Thanks a lot for all your efforts, for bringing this thread together and helping us all maintain it, as well as the "how to critique" article.

I hope for your next submission you put in some encouragement about giving good solid lead-in information, to avoid any unfortunate misunderstandings when someone offers a critique, e.g. technical info on how the work was done, limitations of tools one has, or specific advice one wants or does not want.

My Freebies

KarenJ ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 4:46 AM

Good point pjz - I'll ask the editor to reword that a bit. 
And... it's like you read my mind, hehe. Next part will cover how to prepare yourself for critique, how to get the best out of your critiquers, how to help critics help you, etc.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 5:16 AM

Well, I would say that a lot of that info is common sense - but unfortunately common sense isn't really that common, so it's very good that you've written some guidelines.

My Freebies

Sivana ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 7:00 AM

I also want to join the Club. Only true words helps really to learn and to grow with skills

woodant ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 7:44 AM

I would very much like to join too, please. I'm new to all this, so I'm really up for helpful criticism! :-)

Thanks, Ant.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 8:08 AM

drifterlee- forester here in the marketplace has lots of water props in .obj format.  sprays, droplets, etc.  you'd need to apply the right shaders, but, iirc, there's a thread here where several people vouch for the quality of his stuff.  and lots here and at rdna about water shaders.

Sivana, woodant - glad to have you!

Tissaia ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 9:54 AM

Hi again guys,

I added all of you to my favs... this group is growing so fast that I can't rememeber all names :laugh: Now I can track all uploads!
By accident I even added myself to my fav artists, I didn't know it's possible :lol:

DapperMan ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 10:50 AM

Tissaia, correct me if I'm wrong, but did you say earlier that you did not want us to favorite you?  I notice that you just added me with the "Critique Group" tag, but I've lost track of what was said after 13 pages of posts. :)

Tissaia ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 10:58 AM · edited Mon, 02 April 2007 at 10:59 AM

Yeah... I know... I said that... call me a fickle :blushing:
Seriously though, I still don't like the idea of adding all to favs (because of reasons and concerns  I mentioned earlier) but no one tags images, group is growing, and I have problems with rememebring who's memeber and who isn't (anymore) so I had to give up...

Tiari ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:03 AM

its hard to say with the art charts, though I am notified today I am on it.   Granted, I've been on it before, and several times before the critique group, so its hard to say.  My time on it though is always fleeting lol.

Since the group so far I've uploaded only one image, i tend to take a bit of a while to make one, but I've been pleased, and very happy at the responses.  almost all of them are things either i didnt notice, or thought were okay by my eyes, but realize later, oops....... lol.  Always nice to have other eyes seeing what you dont.

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:15 AM

how much traffic do the art charts get?  i mean, i still haven't seen a change in the front page gallery stuff and i'll be surprised if i looked at the charts twice before receiving the notice i was on them.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:22 AM

I  didn't even know we HAD art-charts until I was on 'em.  Lemme be blunt about'em.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft!  That's all I got to say, other than who cares?  Really? :lol:  Not me.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:37 AM · edited Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:38 AM

The only sustained, inappropriate effect this is likely to have is probably just the Most Favorited - which kind of illustrates how bent that particular statistic is, but as a week or two passes for a given person, it's resolving itself.

If this activity grows to the point where comment counts are regularly showing up in the Most Commented count, then I see that as normal use of the gallery.  If things really grow that large, if it really bugs the regular dominators, they can be brave like Drifterlee is, she's a great example to everyone.

Most Favorited Images is terribly, terribly unlikely to be significantly affected by this, nor is Today's Top Rated (most of us are not rating most of these images).

My Freebies

kobaltkween ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 12:02 PM

as i mentioned in the other thread, where it was said that this was an artificial way to generate views and comments, this is actually the best way to get me to comment on your work.  i don't feel comfortable constantly posting "beautiful!  perfect!"  and it's hard work making meaningful and only positive comments.    so i don't feel that this is a perversion of the commenting system, but rather a use that embraces a type of people who previously weren't participating.

the only way that my favorited images will be affected is that i'm now seeing much more of the gallery than i did.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 3:43 PM

That isn't a bad thing, either!  At least to me!  I like looking at good renders, so it isn't any harder for me to say something positive than negative.  Good styles and executions should be praised, as much as any faults should be pointed out for correction.  Just use some imagination and creativity! XD

Realmling ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 7:09 PM

(forgive as I didn't feel like reading every single page here....but I did go through more than half)

You can sign me up!

I don't always post much because I spend too much time just dinking...and also when everything but my anime themed pictures is ignored for the most part kinda puts a damper on posting here......, but I would love to get some honest looks at my works past and future. I do a variety of things, just whatever seems to spew out as I go through my runtimes.

Will try to get peoples added to the fave list here soon, but it's time for dinner right now.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

Bea ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 7:33 PM

I really think a forum would be a good idea - we are getting quite large :)

kalon ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 7:40 PM

Karen-

I was just going over the list adding new people to my favorites (great job thank you and pjz99). I think if someone leaves the group, their gallery link needs to be removed from the list. So many new people with an ever growing list, people might not see the notice at the bottom indicating a departure.

kalonart.com

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 10:36 PM

I don't know how many of you have Poser 7, but I am having problems with preset lights being super bright to the point of completely washing everything out. These same light sets worked fine in P6.

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 10:38 PM

Also, I have seen two wonderful - IMHO - renders in the Poser gallery. The Mariyn Monroe portrait by Yannek and Kuiski's crucifixation. Stunning work.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 11:31 PM

that one about "the death of poe" that i saw, I left a one-word critique, on account of somebody else telling the artist what to do. so no need for redundancy. but I had never seen a poser render like that in the last 10 years. there were technical details to be addressed, but the scene itself was unparalleled IMVHO.

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 12:21 AM

I would like to Join too Karen. Great idea.

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 12:45 AM

file_373728.jpg

Mua ha ha!  Soon we will achieve GLOBAL DOMINATION!

My Freebies

TheAnimaGemini ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 12:46 AM

Drifterlee, do you delete your old lights before use the new one??? I made the same mistake at first too. All my lightssets looked so bright and washed out.
You must delete your lights before using new one

La vie est éternelle. L'amour est immortel.

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
― Marcus Aurelius,

Realmling ( ) posted Tue, 03 April 2007 at 12:52 AM

I think I have just about everyone in faves....I will have to double check after I get some sleep.... (took long enough anyways cause I had to keep refreshing my list to make sure...gah...brain is on vacation without me)

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.