Mon, Oct 21, 6:12 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Is It Possible to Install both the 64bit and 32bit versions of Vue Infinite on

Traligill ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 4:51 PM · edited Thu, 17 October 2024 at 9:19 PM

My system is a 64 bit system and I would like to install the 32 bit Vue so I can use Python scripts. (as well as keep the installed 64 bit  for the rest of the work) Can I do this without partioning my drive?   Thanks for any help,

cheers, Susan

lingrif ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 5:06 PM · edited Fri, 13 April 2007 at 5:07 PM

Hi Susan

Actually I don't even think partitioning would help.  When you install Vue, it automatically senses what you are running (64-bit or 32-bit) and installs the  correct version.   So  you can't install a 32-bit Vue on  a  64-bit system - you are never given the choice.

www.lingriffin.com

Traligill ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 5:27 PM

I had hoped there was a way around that,  that I didn't know about:):)  I really love the 64 bit version. I wish they would hurry up and work out the python script stuff!!!

nahie ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 5:47 PM

You could with the pre-release but it seems the final won't let you (I get errors when trying to install the 32 bit version on XP64).

DigReal ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 5:57 PM

I'm with you, Susan. Right now I have V6I and Poser installed on two machines (one being my old 32 bit system), just so I can use SkinVue. Granted, SkinVue is worth the effort, but it sure is a pain in the butt having to maintain 2 installations of 2 programs. Not to mention, the old machine is painfully slow, and really shows me the remaining V6I bugs.

The other option is to install a second drive, and configure your machine for dual boot, one with a 32bit OS. I tried that option, but don't like rebooting so often.

Abraham ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 7:48 AM

I have both version installed on XP64 (I needed the 32 bits version for skinvue) and no problem, it works fine

DigReal ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 11:39 AM

Abraham. are you saying you have two versions of Vue6 (both 32bit and 64bit) installed under WinXP64? If so, how'd you do that?

Abraham ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 12:58 PM

Hum, there is no trick at all in fact, you install one version (32 or 64 bit, doesn't seems to matter), you install the other version in a different directrory (I choosed "Vue 6 xStream 32" and "Vue 6 xStream 64" for names) and that's all :)
You only need to enter your serial and activation code once, and I think it's also perfectly legal (at least I hope so, I doubt there would be any objection to this from e-on since apparently they provided the needed support in Vue)
Your Vue 6 xStream.reg file will contain two entries :
VueFolderPath32:D:3DVue 6 xStream 32 and VueFolderPath64:D:3DVue 6 xStream 64
If you customized your installation path for the content, when installing your second version, it will by default offer to use the same path, allowing you to share the content between the two versions installed

Ab :)

nahie ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 1:10 PM

Maybe that's the problem...different install paths. XP64 has two program file directories: Program Files and Program Files (x86). The pre-release installed the proper version in the proper directory, but maybe the final doesn't differentiate and that's why I was having the installation problem. I'll try it out tonight as I want to use my skinvue too...

Abraham ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 1:19 PM · edited Sat, 14 April 2007 at 1:29 PM

It could be the problem yes, and that would explain why I didn't notice anything (I never install anything in the default directory unless I'm really constraint to do so) I have a very small system partition (10 go) and I try to only install windows and some very small application in it (winrar, things like that). That way, once my system is well installed and clean, I make an image of this partition, and if something goes wrong later, it's easy to go back to a clean system (programs are less sensitive than the system itself, so usually, restoring a clean system will bring everything back to normal). Anyway, it means my programs are on another dedicated partition partition (d:) and that would explain why I didn't notice any problem

Ab

BTW, I see the question is about Infinite, I'm running xStream, I don't think it really makes a difference since after all, it's the same application with a little plus added, but installers are probably not the same and this could be a problem. I guess it would be worth asking the question on e-on's forum :)

DigReal ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 2:20 PM

Thanks, Abraham, but I'm still confused (senility setting in, I guess). When I installed V6, I didn't get an option to choose between 32 bit and 64 bit. Vue just saw that my OS was 64 bit, so that's the version that installed. I wouldn't expect a difference for something like this between xStream and Infinite, but maybe there is (I'm using Infinte). Did your xStream installation give you a choice?

Abraham ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 3:00 PM · edited Sat, 14 April 2007 at 3:03 PM

When I installed, there were two line, one for 32 bit, one for 64 (the 64 bit one was selected by default) I clicked on the 32 bit line to install the 32 bit version and on the 64 one for the 64 bit version.

In fact, since an image is worth a thousand words (especially because I'm French, and my English isn't always as good as I wish it would be :) )

Installation Dialog

http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=installms3.jpg

So, that's the first dialog I see when installing, and by clicking on one of the two lines, I'm able to choose what version I want to install.
So, by launching the install twice I can install both version without problem :)

Ab

Lol, I went through hell to try and post an image, seems I'm not gifted so you will need to copy paste the link :) (No nudity ;) )

DigReal ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 3:34 PM

I'm nearly certain that if I'd seen a dialog box like that, it would've caught my attention. My guess would be that since xStream might have to link to a 32 bit app, they give the option to install either (or both) ways. E-on probably didn't see any need for that option for Infinte users. Guess all we 64bit Infinite users can hope for, is that once the Poser/memory leak thing is fixed, they'll focus on stuff like the wxPython working in 64bit. Either that, or give us the 32 bit option, too!

No problem with the copy/paste.... I gave up trying to include images in my posts. Glad to see I'm not the only one. LOL

Thanks again, Ab,

Abraham ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 3:39 PM · edited Sat, 14 April 2007 at 3:43 PM

I'm sorry to hear :( I was pretty sure Infinite and xStream are so close, options would probably be more or less the same, and so apprently not :(
But you're right, it's probably even more needed in xStream due to the fact that, often, the host application make an heavy use of plugins and some of them will maybe never be ported to 64 bit, in such a situtation, you really need the 32 bit version.
Sad though, as long as it won't be possible to make a version of skinvue for 64 bit, you will have to use a dual boot system :( Sorry, I should have read better and thought of the fact, those two versions of vue, even if very close aren't exactly the same

Ab

Traligill ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 3:50 PM

Still interesting to hear Ab, seems to me that as it works for Xtream it shouldn't be too hard fro them to make it work for Infinite. Perhaps we should all bombard them with the requesr;)!!

Mind you I know very little about computer programing so maybe it is not easy to do! lol

cheers, Susan

Abraham ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 4:11 PM

Hum, I think here, it would probably only require a modification of the installer (at least I think :) ) So, if asked gently (people are so agressiv nowadays that you sometimes get more attention by being gentle, and it's so much more pleasant :) ) So, asked that way, explaining why it would be important (skinvue problem and so on), I guess it might be possible to get them to change the instalation limitation in the next update (unless they're some constraint I'm not aware of). Despite all what I have read, they seems to be nice people (and I swear, I don't say that because I'm French and e-on is too :) )

Ab

Traligill ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 4:44 PM

:):) I would definately ask 'gently'  I meant 'bombard' as in everyone who has the problem should ask if there is not some way to fix it:)

I have had only postive relations with e-on ( and I am not French but Australian ;))in the past although like many I have been frustrated with some of the problems of the software.

Susan

DigReal ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 4:46 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Susan... let's bombard em with requests! :-)) But then, I think e-on's attention right now is on finishing the Poser import/memory leak fix. And after that, I'd hope that they would rather focus on getting their brand of Python working in 64 bit, than making us install 2 versions of Vue.

Still, if the 64 bit python thing is something that's going to take awhile, I'd be happy to download and install a separate 32 bit version to hold me over. Anything's better than constantly transferring files to another machine, or rebooting 10 times a day.

nahie ( ) posted Sat, 14 April 2007 at 8:43 PM

Actually I have xStream too and I tried it on my dual opteron and both versions install. When I tried it on my older Athlon 64 it would only install the 64 bit. 32 bit would freeze up. Maybe a problem with that machine? But yeah, I can confirm you can install both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vue 6 xStream, even to the default directories.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.