Fri, Oct 4, 1:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Sorry ... can't post FREE stuff here anymore

DAD ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 8:41 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 1:26 PM

The moderators of this forum have requested that I stop posting links here because I'm not putting them in the Free stuff section for them to test first. I never liked the way the free stuff section worked here so I guess I'll take all my toys and go somewhere else to play. You're loss, not mine. 

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 8:48 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 8:52 PM

:(  I think that free stuff forum is a dumb idea. I haven't even been there. From what  I understand all it is is a forum for advertising stuff that is already in the free stuff area here.  Talk about redundant!! Not to mention a tax on the staff having to review all of those extra freebies.

I have never ever seen a complaint from anyone here about having gotten a virus or trojan or anything from someone's freebie link posted here.

I can see a freebie forum such as they have at Poser Pros or Daz3D where you post your freebies in a particular forum, but to have it so that you can only post freebies that are hosted in the site's freebie area is really a  dumb concept IMHO.

You're right....definitely out loss :(

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

DAD ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:01 PM

I post links over at the DAZ forum all the time ... they don't ask to review my stuff!

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:11 PM

And, since when does Renderosity test freebies?  I host all of my freebies, along with some others, on my own server so they don't test those.  If I have to submit freebies for testing now then I'll just be posting links to my own server along with a thumbnail because Renderosity doesn't have access to test them.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:25 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:37 PM

Quote - If I have to submit freebies for testing now then I'll just be posting links to my own server along with a thumbnail because Renderosity doesn't have access to test them.

I believe Renderosity won't permit that anymore.  Apparently all freebies offered on this site by it's members have to be posted in the freebie section now. So instead of uploading the freebie to your server and just posting it here in the Poser forum as has been the case, you now have to formally submit the item to the free stuff section here so that the staff can test the product.

If you want to post a link to the download you placed in the free stuff section, you now have to do it in the free stuff forum, and no longer in the poser forum. And from what I understand the link has to be going to your free stuff area here and not some off site place.

Personally I think that sucks.  It means many freebies that were going to be made available here won't be available anymore.

I guess I'll be going to Daz and Poser Pros to their freebie forum, because by the sounds of the one here all it's going to be is a place for people to link to their on site freebies here.  I can see what's new by going to the free stuff section. I don't need to go to a forum to see what is in the free stuff section here.

Next thing you know it will be against the rules to post links to freebie on any site other than those in the freebie area here :(

DAD ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:34 PM

It's obviously an attempt to force out people who are not merchants here that offer free stuff. Plain and simple. This place doesn't make any money off of me and I'm pulling people away from their website. Well, Boo Hoo.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:36 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:41 PM

Well, I'll come to Daz and get your freebies :)

What gets me is that Renderosity doesn't even host the file or the thumbnails for the free stuff.  What's stopping someone from editing the file after the fact and reuploading it under the same file name on their web site?

You're right. I think this is just a ruse to squash the free stuff provider because they aren't generating any revenue for company.  However, they fail to see that the reason many are members here is because of the kind generous community that exists here.  That is slowly being eroded. Always one less reason to come here...soon there won't be any reason for some people :(

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:39 PM

The thing is, I have my freebies in the free stuff section but I host them.  I submit them for review and they become available with 24 hours.  That's the way it's been for years but now we have to submit them for testing, too?  If that's the case, why not submit them as a product and not a freebie.  This is just plain stupid because my free stuff gets more downloads than my products and, after 4 years, I'm still not close to the $300 mark that Renderosity put on new vendors. 

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:45 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:56 PM

Quote - The thing is, I have my freebies in the free stuff section but I host them.  I submit them for review and they become available with 24 hours.  That's the way it's been for years but now we have to submit them for testing, too?  If that's the case, why not submit them as a product and not a freebie.  This is just plain stupid because my free stuff gets more downloads than my products and, after 4 years, I'm still not close to the $300 mark that Renderosity put on new vendors. 

When you submit a freebie apparently it's always been subjected to testing prior to it being released to the public view.

But like I said, Renderosity doesn't host the file or the thumbnails, so what's stopping the person from changing the file after the fact?  I think that there are other reasons behind this change than the need for testing and to protect the person downloading the file. Case in point, all that's changing is that you can no longer post links to your freebies unless they are in the free stuff area here, and you can't post those links anywhere on the site other than in the new free stuff forum. 

If someone wants to be malicious, all they have to do is submit the item to free stuff, wait for it to be approved and then go and upload a file with the same name.  Voila, the file that Renderosity spent time testing to verify the product and in order to "protect it's members" is now a malicious trojan!  If it was really about protecting the members Renderosity would be hosting the files and the thumbnails to ensure that items once submitted aren't tampered with.

No, I believe there are other reasons  behind this and this safety of members is being used as a scape goat.

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:55 PM

ok this is stupid... it's not SEPTEMBER!!!
now my calendar is out of alignment....

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 9:56 PM

Huh?

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:00 PM

Quote - When you submit a freebie apparently it's always been subjected to testing prior to it being released to the public view.

But like I said, Renderosity doesn't host the file or the thumbnails, so what's stopping the person from changing the file after the fact?  I think that there are other reasons behind this change than the need for testing and to protect the person downloading the file. Case in point, all that's changing is that you can no longer post links to your freebies unless they are in the free stuff area here, and you can't post those links anywhere on the site other than in the new free stuff forum. 

Well, since I'm in the middle of completely recoding both of our websites into php and I'll be adding a couple of forums, anyone who wants one of my freebies will be able to register at my site (free, of course) and access the freebies forum where all of them will be shown.  I doubt I'll be adding any more here because this is getting just too complicated.

I'll let everyone know when the site goes live again.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:01 PM

Quote - ok this is stupid... it's not SEPTEMBER!!!
now my calendar is out of alignment....

Did I miss something?

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:15 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:18 PM

Quote - If you want to post a link to the download you placed in the free stuff section, you now have to do it in the free stuff forum, and no longer in the poser forum. And from what I understand the link has to be going to your free stuff area here and not some off site place.

In my very recent experience, that isn't how it works - I just submitted the links (exactly the same as in my sig below) in the Upload part of the Freebies page, and they were reviewed and later approved for the Freebies listing. I didn't post anything in the free stuff forum, it never occurred to me.  I've never gotten any noise about links in my signature, and I've conversed with several staff/moderator types since I got them finished and hosted.

The links for download in Freestuff actually almost always point to an outside hosting provider, unless you're a dunce like me and pay for File Locker services here, take a look at any of the latest freebie offerings (I just checked it myself).

While I'm not typically a big pom pom waver for the site in all cases, I think it's good that they actually test something that they're providing a link to and checking whether it works or not.  I don't know what the OPs beef is but I haven't had problems like that, and I argue with site admin people all the time so I doubt it's because of some "we don't like you" thing.

Quote - But like I said, Renderosity doesn't host the file or the thumbnails, so what's stopping the person from changing the file after the fact?

That's true enough, an unfortunate compromise for not requiring people to pay for file hosting here.  :unsure:

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:20 PM

Quote - [

The links for download in Freestuff actually almost always point to an outside hosting provider, unless you're a dunce like me and pay for File Locker services here, take a look at any of the latest freebie offerings (I just checked it myself).

That's probably why nothing has been said to you. You pay Renderosity for space, and the links in your sig are Renderosity site links.

DAD has his stuff on an off site host and has been told to not post his links here anymore and to upload the stuff to free stuff for approval.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:27 PM

Interesting, well I guess I'll be removing my freebie links from my sig line if this is indeed the case. I reckon I'll be posting a lot over at 3D commune as far as freebies go.

My Facebook Page

Alisa ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:32 PM

Boy, if this is true that R'ocity is no longer allowing links to free things unless they're in the R'ocity freestuff, it's terribly disappointing :(. 

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:34 PM

First off, Nothing has changed about the freestuff area here...any free item that is posted to the freestuff area has always been tested before being released to the member base..its not just about testing for trojans and viruses..its about trademarked items, copyrighted items, etc

The freestuff forum was created for our freestuff providers to get more recognition, ask for feedback on items they are thinking of offering, have the ability of hearing requests from the memberbase of items they would like to see, etc. etc...

Members can still let others know about where cool freebies can be found..we just are not allowing direct dl links to be posted in the forums that have not went thru the normal testing protocols. I do not see the harm in this?

And Acadia, there are no ulterior motives for starting the Freestuff Forum

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Alisa ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:42 PM

I'm glad to hear that you're still allowing people to let others know where cool freebies can be found :), but I'm a bit confused how they can do that if they can't give a link to them?  I know some folks have websites, but many people don't, and just put things on free download sites..

Cheers,
Alisa

RETIRED HiveWire 3D QAV Director

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 10:54 PM

I get the impression that one-off answers to a question in a thread are OK, but permanent links in a signature for something that has not be QC'd is not OK?  I don't really see any problem with that, it's a bit heavy handed but not actively harmful.

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:01 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:03 PM

Quote - First off, Nothing has changed about the freestuff area here...any free item that is posted to the freestuff area has always been tested before being released to the member base..its not just about testing for trojans and viruses..its about trademarked items, copyrighted items, etc

As I said before, what's to stop the person from uploading the content of 1 file to the free stuff area, waiting for it to be approved and posted, and then creating a whole new file and uploading it under the same name? Until Renderosity starts hosting the free stuff files on their server, that will always be a possibility.

Quote - The freestuff forum was created for our freestuff providers to get more recognition, ask for feedback on items they are thinking of offering, have the ability of hearing requests from the memberbase of items they would like to see, etc. etc...

Members can still let others know about where cool freebies can be found..we just are not allowing direct dl links to be posted in the forums that have not went thru the normal testing protocols. I do not see the harm in this?

By the sounds of the FAQ even when the item is in free stuff you can't post a direct link to the item either. You have to post the link to your free stuff area here.  Which again....is redundant.  The file is in free stuff so why do we need a separate forum when the item is already in free stuff and readily visible if you go and look at recent uploads?

From the FAQ:

Q: Can I advertise/link to my free items I have on other sites here on the Renderosity Freestuff Forum?A: No, The Freestuff Forum is for our members to advertise their freestuff items offered only at Renderosity.

Q**: Can I link directly to my free items that are hosted elsewhere in the forum?

A: No, members are required to upload their free items to the Renderosity Freestuff area so they can go through the proper testing protocol before being released to the member-base. Links found in the forum that go directly to the free item DL will be removed, and the member will be requested to place the item into the freestuff area before being allowed to link to it from the forum.

I fail to see the purpose behind a free stuff forum if you can't post direct links to your items and all items have to be in the free stuff area, even if the link is off site.  What's the difference if you point someone to your free stuff area and download from an off site link, or you post a direct link to the download? Same thing in my books.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:02 PM

Yup, we dont host the files themselves, and we know alot of our providers use free hosting sites..I even started a thread pertaining to that..giving some links to sites that host files for free and so on.

The freestuff area is a way for members to advertise their free items..thats a given. What we did with starting the freestuff forum, is to give those providers a place to post about their items, new or old...get them some recognition..as sometimes the only recognition they get is in the galleries..and thats only sometimes.

We are not trying to prevent anyone from advertising anything..what we are trying to do is to set up specific places for this to occur instead of it being all over the place. We have the Product Showcase Gallery, for advertising of MP items in rendered form, then we have the Product Showcase Forum set up for feedback, requests, etc for MP items...this is just the same thing set up for Freestuff.....Think of the Freestuff area as a gallery..we just set up a place for discussion for those items.

Altho someone who wanted to do harm could very well wait until an item is approved and change the file to release all kinds of nasties, we trust our memberbase more than that...but we still have to go thru proper procedures..I just dont see the harm in that at all

~Jani

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:03 PM

Ah good clearification but I still removed my freebie links from my sig line to be safe.

My Facebook Page

Chailynne ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:14 PM

So if we find a cool freebie elsewhere we can't let other people know here on this forum? That's pretty heavy handed after all these years.

Renderosity just keeps going downhill. Barely worth even visiting the forum anymore sadly. Used to be hopping around here with tons of information and sharing going on.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:15 PM

Sealtm2,

You have freestuff items here..and you can link to those from your sig..thats not a problem. To use Pj's bit of words..we just want the linked to items to be QA'd. ;)

Look at it this way....if we continue to allow direct DL links in the forums..and someone comes along and links to something say....warez, porn, stolen, trademarked, virus ridden files....then the members who clicked on it would be on us for allowing it to happen..we didnt do anything to prevent it....the way we are trying it now, is to at least get a jump on potential problems that could happen..and also to help out our freestuff providers...

We cant control all of it, but at least we can do what we can, and this helps our members..even if it sounds rough right now.

~Jani

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:16 PM

Quote - So if we find a cool freebie elsewhere we can't let other people know here on this forum

Yes, you can...just dont post a direct link to the download

~Jani

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:19 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I fail to see the sense in all this, it doesn't facilitate things, just hinders them :(

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:20 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

What if the only link is a direct link??
Some people don't have sites and host on the many free providers with direct link only.  I guess we'll have to go elsewhere to find out about those.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:26 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:27 PM

Quote - Some people don't have sites and host on the many free providers with direct link only

Then they can place the item in the freestuff area here? How is this hindering anyone? I use a free provider for my files, I upload them here, and can advertise them here and in the Freestuff Forum...?

Really the only thing that has changed is stopping direct dl links being posted in the various forums bypassing the freestuff area testing.....

~Jani

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:32 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:32 PM

Lookit...see this thread...DP has went thru normal testing procedure, then has advertised it with a link. I need to correct a bit up there that I said 'dont post direct dl links'..what I meant to say and failed, was dont post direct dl links to items that have not been approved thru the Rendo freestuff area.

THREAD

~Jani

DAD ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:36 PM

Bottom line is YOU (R'sity) are trying to control what is or is not allowed to be seen and downloaded by people! If a link is bad, people will let you know REALLY FAST!!! What you are doing is restricting access for people so that everything MUST have the seal of approval of the website! That is BULL! I don't need your approval to give my stuff away. I don't need your website to give it away either!

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:40 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:41 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - > Quote - So if we find a cool freebie elsewhere we can't let other people know here on this forum

Yes, you can...just dont post a direct link to the download

That's unworkable.  Extremely difficult to make everyone aware of this as they register and post, extremely difficult to enforce, and far too heavy handed - and incidentally, really goddamn inconvenient.  Links in signatures I can understand, but if someone asks "where can I download thus and such" I don't want to have to dumbify it into "verily, verily, I say unto thee: downloading this file is like unto a mustard seed..."

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:46 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:46 PM

I'm still failing to see the difference between posting a link to an item in free stuff here, which leads to an off site host, and posting a direct link to the item.

So what that the file in free stuff has been tested and approved by staff. The fact of the matter remains that  the file is hosted off site no matter which way you look at it, and the person can very easily change the file after it's been accepted, which totally defeats the entire purpose.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:46 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:46 PM

Quote - Bottom line is YOU (R'sity) are trying to control what is or is not allowed to be seen and downloaded by people

Quote - What you are doing is restricting access for people so that everything MUST have the seal of approval of the website

Ummm ..I think Rendo has the right to allow or disallow content on their website?? :blink:

~Jani

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:49 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:54 PM

First off, if you download anything from the net ever the chance is there to get something nasty you didn't expect such as a malware, spyware or grayware.

And jumps please dont you start up with the  "it's a private website" excuse.

We all know that tommorow or the day after, when it suits the ptb here, it'll be a "community" again.

(rolls his eyes)

Oh and If they want the freebie link I have chosen to place in my sig removed, they can go in and do it themselves. I'm through monkeying around with that stupid css bull.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:55 PM

hrm that is really the suck!  For instance yesterday I think it was, I was looking for a snake, someone gave names, I went to daz to search.  No luck finding it.  He found it for me and linked me to it.  Now this is bad?  

I don't know how many sub-13 yr olds there are downloading from the site - but me personally I don't need anyone to hold my hand.  I can figure out very well on my own if a download works or not.  This site has gotten like whoa absurd with trying to control other people as of late.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:55 PM · edited Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:57 PM

I am scratching my head as to why you, as a moderator, would embrace such an idiotic policy.  In order to enforce this policy, you, the moderator, must immediately read every single post in every single forum, and examine every single HTML link to see if it points to a download, and then figure out if it's been QC'd here.  If I were in your shoes there's no way I'd agree to that kind of responsibility, it's foolish.  

Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link

Which of these are downloads?  Of those links above that are downloads, which of them have been QC'd and approved for the freebies section?  How can you POSSIBLY moderate this properly?  I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but - are you kidding me?  This is a very stupid policy, you can't keep track of all the links people pass back and forth and QC every single one.  Better to just disable HTML entirely.

My Freebies

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:57 PM

Pj, go back to the first page and read what else I said in my last post there.

Acadia, again, We would hope we could trust our members more than what you are giving them credit for.

Darth..it IS a private website, and Rendo can restrict content. One of the ways Rendo has of determining if content needs to be disallowed, or allowed, is by ...wait for it....testing. It happens in the MP, galleries, and freestuff.

~Jani

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 21 April 2007 at 11:59 PM

I can read what you said just fine:
"...what I meant to say and failed, was dont post direct dl links to items that have not been approved thru the Rendo freestuff area."

Unless my grasp of the English language fails me, as it sometimes does, you're saying do not post a link to direct download a file that has not been QC'd and approved to be posted to the Renderosity freestuff area.  This is impossible for you to properly moderate as I explained above.

My Freebies

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:05 AM

Its not impossible..maybe a little tough at first..but not impossible. We dont catch every violating image every single time one gets uploaded, some slip by..but I think we do a pretty good job for the most part.

~Jani

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:17 AM

I think you mistake my meaning, that was not a criticism of the moderator team - it's merely pointing out how nuts a policy like this is, I cannot grasp why you would accept the task, much less with the evident happiness you're showing about it.  For example I'm looking at a certain compilation of tutorials.  It has perhaps fifty links in it.  Have you reviewed each one?  Do any contain download links?  Are they safe?  What are your protocols for checking?  Since you're taking this responsibility, how does one report it when you fail to carry it out?  I've done moderator work before, I wouldn't have ever accepted some task like this.

My Freebies

sixus1 ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:37 AM

Attached Link: S1M Link Repository

Renderosity is a private and they can do whatever they want.....

So, anyone wants to add links to our link repository (freebies, commercial, etc) feel free. 

ghelmer ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:43 AM · edited Sun, 22 April 2007 at 12:44 AM

Quote - I don't want to have to dumbify it into "verily, verily, I say unto thee: downloading this file is like unto a mustard seed..."

pjz99...   you made my day with that one my friend!!!

And this topic...  yet another one I feel powerless to even comment on with MY opinion as MY opinion (like that of all the opinions of the average member like myself) doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things in the typical money making machine's (cough Bondware!) fiscal forcasts & PowerPoint presentations about alienating it's membership / user base / customer base...  I know with this username I don't have a lot of purchases in my shopping cart but on my wifes there's a whole whack that after all the changes in the last year or so I feel it would have been money well spent elsewhere...  too much heavy handedness (as mentioned above) and too much cow towing to be overly enjoyable!

Hmmmm...  for what I wanted to be short & sweet and not wanting to get involved I think I sure did some rambling there!!

G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

Tashar59 ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:13 AM

Just curious. What if someone said, "look what I made, e-mail me if you want this freebie and I'll send you the file." What happens then?

jjroland ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:18 AM

well ~obviously~ they would then need to be castrated... gg man o.0

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:37 AM

And another for instance (just to poke and prod):

What are the guidelines for posting dl links to freebies at Content Paradise, DAZ 3D, Runtime DNA, Poser Pros, PoserWorld, etc. and so on?  Allowed/forbidden?  Outside the 'Renderosity freestuff' guidelines?  Does it pertain only to a download link proper (one wherein clicking the link initiates a download) or one which takes you to a download page where you need to click something else to begin downloading?  Insane minds want to know! ;)

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Zarat ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 1:50 AM

Quote - Well, I'll come to Daz and get your freebies :)

What gets me is that Renderosity doesn't even host the file or the thumbnails for the free stuff.  What's stopping someone from editing the file after the fact and reuploading it under the same file name on their web site?

You're right. I think this is just a ruse to squash the free stuff provider because they aren't generating any revenue for company.  However, they fail to see that the reason many are members here is because of the kind generous community that exists here.  That is slowly being eroded. Always one less reason to come here...soon there won't be any reason for some people :(

Someone should start to make a list with all the issues that make users want to leave.
Hey in another 5 years you can tell people that once upon a time there was a website...
Glad to see no cat pic here. :p

Casette ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 3:54 AM

IMHO a Freestuff Forum is useless. DAZ system is different, they have a freestuff area (now frozen) of DAZ-designers free products, and a forum where non-DAZ-designers post their creations. I always though here was a better system: all freebies (Rosity and non-Rosity sellers) in a freestuff zone, and the general forum for announces or support

Of course, another useful change... :sad:

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

jonthecelt ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 4:51 AM

If you subscribe to the weekly newsletter from DAZ, you get notification of the weekly freebie now. Rather than discontinuing their own line of free items, they run something similar to the CP line: free for a week, then pay for it.

jonthecelt

byAnton ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 5:32 AM · edited Sun, 22 April 2007 at 5:36 AM

How about a forum just for "Sticky" topics? Nothing worse than scrolling through a block of stickies. :)  That would be helpful.

I don't think this policy exists to protect anyone from porn. I don't think it exists to protect people from viruses or tojans. Nor do I think there was ever a "we love people so much" meeting to generously give the masses a special venue to promote themselves. :)

Perhaps this is a good example of a policy that sounds good at a meeting but is sort of useless in practice. Rendo owns the site in the end and will do whatever it wants, which is their right.

"Dear, never forget one little point. It's my business. You just work here." -Elizabeth Arden

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Sun, 22 April 2007 at 8:04 AM

It's already been stated what Rendo wants about freebies.  Control.  TOTAL control.  It's all business with them.  NOT community or any such thing.

I , for one, do NOT agree with their business model.  It does look like iron-gloved totalitarianism from the outside.  That appearance is NOT good for business.  It's akin to putting up a sign next to the magazines, "NO LOITERING--You look at it-YOU BOUGHT IT!"  The magazine stand soon closes down because people go where they feel more comfortable to do business.

It is THEIR site, so they will do what ever they do, whether it wrecks their business or not.  Maybe the Freebie forum is a good idea.  Maybe not.  Time will tell.

It just saddens me.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.