Thu, Sep 19, 11:06 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Please help all textures GONE

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 4:12 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 11:06 PM

Hey for some reason all the textures (every single one) in the runtime folder hav just been deleted i hav no idea wat happend im so up set cause that means i hav to download every single file i hav ever downloaded and re install it just to get the textures back including poser,im so pissed off right know cause all the textures for my new character Larilia were in there and that means i hav to redo the textures (but luckely i still have all the psd file wen i was makeing her).I have no idea how they just disapeared,it looks like they hav been deleted from the hardrive.all i was doing at the time was trying to render a simple pic with a character,hair clothes and particles and then a message popped up saying the texture map dosent exsist i dont know if the textures got deleted before that but i have had that message before and the textures were there,and another thing i was doing at the time was trying to use daz and get the poser directory to use in daz so i could open all the characters and poses etc.... without having to copy all the things in the runtime folder and it worked but when i tried to load a character in daz it came up with error signs saying to search for the texture maps.i really dont no wat happen.Im sure i didnt delete the files my self because it probably wouldnt fit into the bin,but the weird thing is that all the folders are still there but they are all empty does anyone no wat happened and has anyone else have this problem and is there anyway to get the textures back without having reinstalling everything

thanks and sorry for the long writing

):vasco:(

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 4:36 AM · edited Mon, 30 April 2007 at 4:37 AM

Yikes!  I had that happen to me with Paint Shop Pro!  All of my brushes and masks just vanished into thin air and I was no where near the folders they were in.   I don't know the answer to a fix though :(

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:03 AM

If you're on WinXP you could try to do a "system restore". I can't think of anything else other than that...

Wishing you good luck.

~ Meow ~

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:07 AM

how do you do that and wat does it do does it delete anything.

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:33 AM

You can also check your Recycle Bin to see if the deleted files are there. Check the Poser runtime to see if the files were accidentaly moved from the Daz folders to Poser.

To do a System Restore click on Start in the lower left corner.
Then Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance
and click on System Restore in the upper left of that menu.
Use the deafult "Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time" and click next.
You would then choose a date on the calendar before this happened and restore.
If you installed any software after the date you choose, you will need to re-install that.

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:38 AM

Follow Mystic-Nights instructions above. Just make sure you choose a date when you know the textures definitely existed on your hard drive.

I've gotten into the habit of "creating a restore point" just prior to installing new programs/updates so that I can restore my computer to a working state if something goes wrong. The computer also creates system restore points on it's own - but randomly.

I've had to use it twice and it's worked great. Maybe others can weigh in and let you know if they've had any problems with it.

I'm no expert by any means and make no guarantees but can only tell you what's worked for me :)

** You may also want to burn hard copies or do a back-up of any important files prior to doing this.

Hope this helps.

~ Meow ~

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:40 AM · edited Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:44 AM

Before you do this, have you tried other things like a hard boot as opposed to just a restart of your system? - Sometimes the simplest approaches are best:)

If that hasn't worked, you can try the System Restore.

• You have to be logged in as Administrator to do a System Restore.

~ Meow ~

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 6:48 AM

hey sorry i hav no idea how to do a hard boot and anything else to do with computers so could you tell me how to do this and wat does it do,dont wont anything to go wrong

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 7:12 AM

Just shut down your system completely and start it up again - not just a "restart".

~ Meow ~

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 8:59 AM

thanks for all your help really apprciate it but nothing worked,owell better start downloading

thanks again

CeeBeeVFXG ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 9:36 AM

You don't have any back-ups at all you can restore from?

~ Meow ~

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 9:41 AM

no don think so but thanks

Dangerboy3D ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:06 AM

Kind of odd situation. Have you tried a general search on the entire hard drive for a texture file that you remember? Just to see if anything comes up? Kind of hard to believe that the entire textures folder was purged just like that. Even if you intentionally did it, it certainly would be too big for the recycle bin. Even if deleted you can still try deep recovery utilities like WinUndelete (http://www.winundelete.com). Even if the files are deleted, their signature still remains in the system footprint for a while.

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:10 AM

is this a safe program? will it cause any problems with my comp or anything

Dangerboy3D ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:18 AM

It is a safe program but I have hardly ever used it. Well there is the exception when we are doing forensic restorations on a user's machine. Tell you what. I will load this demo version on a virtual machine and test it.

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:21 AM

thanks

Dangerboy3D ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:46 AM

Ok one of my guys from our support team just reamed me for considering a non-open source product. He passed me a free open source product that I just tried on my laptop. I was able to pull a file with low integrity from Apr 21 that was deleted. It appears that the utility will not pull files that are too far gone from the system's footprint.

Ok here is the link:(http://www.adrc.net/data_recovery_software/ADRC_Data_Recovery_Tools_v1.0.zip)

1. Download and unzip into a temp folder.
  2. Double click to run program. It does not install on to your system.
  3. When the program comes up it will open a webpage with instruction tutorials.

I did not use the instructions really. When I ran the program I selected the C: Drive and Clicked on Search. About a minute later it displayed all the deleted files that were recoverable. I selected on file and hit undelete button in the lower right corner, and selected the location to restore the file too. The only doubt I had was that I am sure that I deleted more that what it displayed for restoration but I assume that it would only restore what it could.

Give it a shot an let me know.

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 10:51 AM

ok thanks

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 11:09 AM

hi the program doesnt seem to be working or something,its saying 

Disk Error
unable to open disks boot sector
disk reported error number 6
please check the disk drive is ready

do you know wat this means

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 11:10 AM

by the way i followed all the steps and wen i pressed search it came up with that

Dangerboy3D ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 11:19 AM

Scared me there for a second. I thought that you may have had your drive formatted for FAT32. I just tried the program without selecting a drive and got the same message. Right under the "file" tab is a dropdown where you select the drive. I am guessing that you only have a C: Drive so select that. If you have additional drives then search them as well.

I hope this works for you. Really feel for you losing all that data. May want to make and investment into a external USB drive to back up your runtime folders for the future.

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 11:23 AM

i did select the c:drive and i also tried the others but its still the same error,might try a different type of program someone told me about

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 11:30 AM

just wondering with that program it has a thing under tools called boot builder do i hav to fill that out or something before i do the search

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 11:59 AM

thankyou so much for all your help,it does look like they were deleted cause i tried a trial version of a recovery program and looks like the textures and lots of other things are there to but cant recover it since its a trial so thanks and might try some more things 2moro.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 12:49 PM

slaps head

I had totally forgotten about "System Restore"!

Corvas did you try doing a "system restore"?

Start / Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore

Pick  "Restore my computer to an earlier point"  and then click NEXT

You will be shown a calandar with some days outlined in BLUE.  Pick the last known day  point that was working for you.  There should be a couple options to pick from each day a restore point was made.

You won't lose any files or folders doing this.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 30 April 2007 at 7:39 PM

yeah i have tryed that but thanks anyway

Dangerboy3D ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 12:02 AM

Sorry that the free utility did not pull everything up. If the demo that you are using has indeed found the images then you're on the right track. Keep in mind that you don't want to wait too long because they are degrading. I am actually disappointed that the open-source one did not work out for you and I do apologies. You did find them at least. Now all you have to do is restore them back.

Just so everyone knows. XP System Restore utility is more geared to an OS snapshot and not your filing system. I do recommend that you make regular backups of your drives with either the XP backup utility (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Backup) or a 3rd party utility. I personally use Norton Ghost to capture the entire drive, but you will need a large external storage unit.

Hope everything works out for you. Best of luck..

corvas ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 2:10 AM

thankyou so much everyone.luckely someone at aerysoul forum found a free file recovery program and recomended it to me and it work,found most or all of the textures including my characters textures Larilia so thats good but havent yet put alll the textures back yet but doing it right know.im so happy,thanks everyone who helped me really really appreciate it and the good thing is that i now no wat to do next time so thanks so much.

if anyone wants it its quite good and heres the link if you want it

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

vasco

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.