Sun, Sep 22, 11:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: what about faceshop pro

martial ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 4:55 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 11:34 AM

Hello Daz sale  this utility.Someone have used it?What do you think about it ?

DarrenUK ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 7:50 AM

I was thinking about this too. However the screen shots apart from the animated one don't look that fantastic, and M3 kind of has a basic Arnie shaped head to start off with, square jaw etc. It would be nice to see how it deals with other shaped heads. Also, does it only use one photo? This could be good in that most inthe past need at least two. This brings another problem, does the photo have to at an angle that shows the front and side of the face, to get a proper profile. Some of the textures on the side looked pretty stretched even on the animated one. It would have been good to see what it looked like with the texture mirrored as described in blurb.
It is on sale at the moment, so I may think about getting it, but there have been so many of these programs before, that just disappoint, the face room included (the one room in my poser program that has cobwebs and bats in it).

As Martial says, if anyone has this and can post some of their results, I would be very grateful.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:32 AM

file_376102.jpg

It claims to work from one photo - so I tried it that way.  

I'm using a brand new system here - less than a month old - XP SP2 latest updates - it has few very apps on it. 

Install is simple enough - programme starts OK. 

Took a few crashes and freezes before it seemed to settle down and the process was simple enough to follow.  

The results however are virtually useless - the resulting texture map from 1 photo is very poor.
Worse still the exported .OBJ won't load as a morph in Poser - you get wrong number of vertexes error. 

If you import the OBJ into poser then it still looks like Mike (post 2).

Overall useless - waste of $40 - I'm asking for a refund after posting this.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:32 AM

file_376103.jpg

heres the output..

DarrenUK ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:42 AM

Thanks mrsparky, looks like I'll be sticking to dial spinning for the time being.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

martial ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:50 AM

Thanks .You save me money

mickmca ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 8:56 AM

Whew. I was tempted. Thanks for the "review."

M

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:41 AM · edited Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:42 AM

file_376111.jpg

Take 2 - this time reading the mannual about using in poser :) 

It's possible to avoid the vetex error - but it's fiddly. To use it in Poser  (and say V3) you have to export only the head from poser. No eyeballs or  ground.etc etc. 

Load the poser exported into Faceshop - when it stops freezing up or crashing - you eventually end up with an OBJ for use as a morph taerget. Spin the dial as suggested in the mannual and this is what you get.....

This will be my last try with the software as I've now requested a refund and will be deleting this from my system.   

Edited to add - also need to seek medical attention after my 'victim' got mortally offended :) LOL

Khai ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 9:43 AM

*Spin the dial as suggested in the mannual and this is what you get.....
*which looks like bugger all. methinks Daz has a lemon here...

mickmca ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 10:40 AM

Odd. It looks like the face is swapped left/right. Notice the asymmetry of the mouth. In other words, it reflects like a mirror rather than capturing like a camera. For real faces, this is not good. Swapping sides gives the face an unfamiliar look. Imagine Hitler with his hair parted on the wrong side, for example.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 3:00 PM

Quote - Odd. It looks like the face is swapped left/right. Notice the asymmetry of the mouth. In other words, it reflects like a mirror rather than capturing like a camera. For real faces, this is not good. Swapping sides gives the face an unfamiliar look. Imagine Hitler with his hair parted on the wrong side, for example.

Most likely because it uses a "Mirror" to opposite side.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Darboshanski ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 7:18 PM

Ah just great another daz "whip it out and lay it on us" product for all those to snap up and be disappointed. What in the H E double hockey sticks is going on with these 3D content companies?? It's liken to those three guys from the Newhart show  when he had the inn in VT,
"Larry, Darryl and Darryl" and their "anything for a buck". LOL!

My Facebook Page

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 28 April 2007 at 7:25 PM

Daz did not make this, it's a third-party item. Still trying to decide on buying it. Would like to see if I've better luck than some folks, but $40 is a lot of money right now.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 11:47 AM

For anyone who is looking at the Basic version there are a few things not spelled out in the product page.  The "faces" created in Basic only work in D/S.  There are no plans to sell expansion packs.  The only answer I received when I asked was upgrade to the Pro version.  Nice marketing.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 12:06 PM

Quote - For anyone who is looking at the Basic version there are a few things not spelled out in the product page.  The "faces" created in Basic only work in D/S.  There are no plans to sell expansion packs.  The only answer I received when I asked was upgrade to the Pro version.  Nice marketing.

Sure is, the creator is just now admitting it is flawed and will have a SR1 in a few weeks.
Now asking for Input as to what is wrong with it. So much for Beta Testing.

Who thinks that it will still be 50% Off fro the Pro Version, when SR1 is released?????

To use anything with Poser, you need to buy the Pro, as mentioned.
You then have to Export the M3 and v4 Heads as the ones included were also "Only" for DS.

Sure would have been nice to see a "Real" Users Manual as well.
If you read the correct thread, you can get scraps in bits and pieces that "should" have been in the Manual already.

Also, it appears that the Imported into Poser, does not look precisely like the Exported from Pro.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Byrdie ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 12:36 PM

No doubt by the time it gets fixed the price will be almost as much as a Poser upgrade. Think maybe I'll get more use out of P7 than this.

Which is a damn shame; I was hoping it'd cut my morph-making time from several weeks to maybe an hour -- the "5 minutes" claim I'd already put down to hype and the creator knowing his program far better than a newbie would. Ah well, maybe someday ...

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 29 April 2007 at 2:43 PM

yep...its near equivalent to the "make art" button, or lack of.
Nothing can be too easy, can it?

DAZ isn't stupid, so hopefully with all the returns and problems, they will see the light and extend the sale once the SR is released. Now other than the problems reported, such as the crashes and black faces, do you suppose anything else will change? ..I think not myself.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

RobbyBobby ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 6:59 AM

I've been playing with Faceshop Pro for a couple of days now and I finally got a morph that looks good (to me).  I used a pic of Tom Welling (Smallville) to make the morph target.  Of course, it doesn't necessarily look a great deal like Tom, but it does look more realistic than a lot of other characters I've seen out there.  If anyone's interested in seeing the pic, take a look at my gallery.  My deviantart page (robbybobby.deviantart.com) and my ARTZONE page have other pics as well; including the Tom Welling pic that I used, along with a pic of the morph target itself from Faceshop.

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 10:39 AM

Just saw a near-perfect "Lana" from SV over in the main FaceShop thread @ Daz. I am so tempted to buy now it's not funny.

destro75 ( ) posted Tue, 01 May 2007 at 11:05 AM

I've decided to buy this later on today. I was just looking at the thread over at Daz, and some people are coming up with AMAZING results. Seems like another situation where it may take some work to learn it, but the time savings long-term are the payoff.

Byrdie ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 7:53 PM

I gave into the temptation & bought the Pro version. Runs okay so far, only crashed once. But in all fairness that was my own fault for confusing the poor thing. Still trying to figure out how to use it, will let you know how it goes.

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2007 at 8:04 PM

So much for Beta Testing. 

So much for refunds as well :( 
I'm still waiting and I know from email and IM so are another couple of people as well.  

laslov ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 9:45 PM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/itemdetails/-/?item=3927&cat=362

> Quote - For anyone who is looking at the Basic version there are a few things not spelled out in the product page.  The "faces" created in Basic only work in D/S.  There are no plans to sell expansion packs.  The only answer I received when I asked was upgrade to the Pro version.  Nice marketing.

Hi,

I cannot help you if you cannot read:-(
Before you accuse anyone of false marketing, why don't you just read the freakin' product page you are accusing of misleading:

Quote from FaceShop Basic product page :
"Create face morphs for DAZ/Studio based on Victoria 4 and Michael 3!"
"NOTE**: FaceShop Basic cannot create Poser compatible morph targets. If you wish to use this application with Poser, you'll need to order FaecShop pro".**
Is this clear enough for you?
http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/itemdetails/-/?item=3927&cat=362

laslov ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 10:12 PM

Quote - It claims to work from one photo - so I tried it that way.  

I'm using a brand new system here - less than a month old - XP SP2 latest updates - it has few very apps on it. 

Install is simple enough - programme starts OK. 

Took a few crashes and freezes before it seemed to settle down and the process was simple enough to follow.  

The results however are virtually useless - the resulting texture map from 1 photo is very poor.
Worse still the exported .OBJ won't load as a morph in Poser - you get wrong number of vertexes error. 

If you import the OBJ into poser then it still looks like Mike (post 2).

Overall useless - waste of $40 - I'm asking for a refund after posting this.

Hi there,

Have you tried to read the manual yet? Do you understand that there's a difference how you use this product with Poser (pages 35-39) and with Studio (pages 39-41)?

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2007 at 11:52 PM

file_377001.jpg

Some results of mine in FSP.  No postwork except for background and a collar fix on the robe.

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 12:17 AM

That actually looks really great Byrdie!

I may have been too hasty in dismissing this product.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

Dale B ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 6:15 AM

I've been playing with it for a few days; potential, but picture quality is a big determiner of results. Not so much for texture purposes, but so you can see the actual facial structures you need to map. The crisper the image, the sharper the structure definitions, the better the results. Maybe combine the morph with the smoothing tool in P7 to smooth out glitches....

twitchew ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 1:55 PM

so how does one add the creases or sagging jowls etc to someone that is not AHnold? Birdie how'd you do it?

and, will this work with apollo?

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 09 May 2007 at 4:27 PM

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

laslov ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 10:14 AM

Quote - so how does one add the creases or sagging jowls etc to someone that is not AHnold? Birdie how'd you do it?

and, will this work with apollo?

Poser 7 has morph brush that can add creases and similar to any mesh....
BTW: Nice FaceShop review at this blog:
http://poserforensicartists.com/2007/05/10/review-faceshop-pro-pantomat/

Laslo

BastBlack ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 10:09 PM

Quote - heres the output..

I got the "no morph" export for the first time last night. I was multitasking at the time, I know, MyBad. I quit, reboot, and re-ran my file. It worked the 2nd time. I think the error is caused when you don't have enough RAM available for FaceShop. bB

laslov ( ) posted Fri, 11 May 2007 at 11:43 PM

file_377238.jpg

?

Come show off your best 3D look-a-like using the FaceShop software! Use any headshot you have or can find, whether of your favorite celebrity, yourself, or anyone else you can think of. Then, create a 3D head of them within either FaceShop Basic of FaceShop Pro and render out your best image of them and submit it to this contest.

Prizes -

Award Ceremony and Party
Join us to have fun! DAZ 3D and Pantomat will jointly present awards to the winners at the FaceShop Look-a-Like Award Ceremony in July 2007 (exact date and information to come).

The Award Ceremony will take place in Second Life, the popular online 3D world (www.secondlife.com). All attendants must sign up with Second Life and create an avatar to attend. Second Life registration and party attendance is free.

See Some Exciting Portraits! There's already a good selection of FaceShop art under the following thread: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=57975 See for yourself what others are creating using FaceShop and DAZ|Studio or Poser!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.