Sat, Aug 3, 3:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 31 8:13 pm)

Subject: Problem with Vicki 2

egaeus ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 8:25 AM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 2:43 AM

I like Vicki 2, but for some reason, when I put more than one Vicki on the screen, the body morphs stop working. For instance, I create a character, then add another Vicki, the second one pops up with the same body as the first and I can't change it. I don't have this problem with the P4 figure. Anyone know what's going on here? Mike

BAM ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 9:06 AM

One quick suggestion to try is after bringing in the first V2 change its name from Figure 1 to something else. Do the same with the clothes (?) you conform to the figure. Then load in the second V2. Hope that helps

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 11:45 AM

If that doesnt help, make a copy of the geometry file for vicky and give it a different name. make a second cr2 point to the newly named geometry. That'll work for sure. -WTB

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 12:47 PM

This is somthing I just put up on the user group. I expected it to come up with MillieJCM after I realized it a few weeks after I released her, but no one has asked. It looks like V2 has brought it to a head. The problem is with the ERC , the Full Body Morphs on V1 and the additional PBM (Partial Body Morphs) on V2 , It will be a definite problem with JCM (Joint Controlled Morphs) and with the JCJ (Joint Controlled Joints). We call it cross-talk. There are two solutions that I know of: Rob Whiz's RSOB site has one method. http://www.rbtwhiz.com/rbtwhiz_EMCPrintable.html#update And there is a link there to Nerd's fix. I have another, which he does not like. Have a separate CR2 for each character. Open it in text editor. ( V2 is so large MSWord might be all you can use.) Find "Figure:1" replace with " A UNIQUE NAME " (replace all) save this back to the Library in Poser as a text file (with no formatting) and make sure the extension is CR2 and not .CR2.TXT Look to make sure the figure name IS Figure:1. If you saved it from Poser with more than one figure present, it might have a different number. Also go to the bottom and change the figure name to be the same. The thing to remember, every time you save the figure back to the Library from Poser, it will undo all this and put Figure:1 back everywhere, but the name at the start of the materials (3rd) part of the CR2. You will have to do the find and replace gig again. It is unfortunate, but everyone is going to have to develop some skills to deal with this problem. The problem is with Poser 4 and not Victoria. Victoria is just pushing the limits and showing up these unanticipated problems The ERC was probably as last minute add in and they probably had no idea that we would take it as far as we are going to. Jaager

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 1:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.editpadpro.com

Thanks for the information Jaager. I have a small suggestion though. For files as large as Victoria's cr2, MS Word is going to slow your machine down as its such a big resourse hog. Same thing with WordPad. I used to use me and it took me longer to scroll through a cr2 than it took me to learn how to edit it.

Edit Pad is a programmer's text editor with a great find and replace tool. The Lite version is free for download and the Pro version (with more features and licensed for commercial use) is only $30.

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 1:54 PM

I use EditPad 3.2.1 , but V2 is too large for it. I admit that it is 1996 vintage. It is safer to use than MSWord, and find and replace is better too. In truth, I never use a figure with the number of construction morphs in V2 for anything but generating a combination morph to transfer to a bare essential CR2. But then, my bare ssential CR2 also has about 150 JCM in it. This is only 2-3 meg larger, so EditPad will handle it. But from what I see, most use Vicki as they get her. And this is 20-22 meg. Not the 5-7 meg that I use.

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 2:07 PM

I'm just afraid if I try to open a Poser file in MS Word the office assistant will pop up and try to turn the cr2 into a business letter. =-)

BAM ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 2:51 PM

Jaager, Perhaps you are doing something that will help me. I use multiple figures in one scene and want to use V2 too. One problem with this is that V2 is huge. After getting V2 to look like an individual how do I go about reducing the file size (fix morphs and take them out?) to something manageable?

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 3:14 PM

In Poser, you can open your hierarchy editor, 'x' the show all parameters box, find morphs you don't need, select them and hit delete on your keyboard (I think this deletes them from completely from the CR2 rather than just remming them out).

Additionally, you can use a program like CR2Editor to delete the morphs, and I think Morph Manager will do it as well. Of course make sure you're working with a copy of the cr2 and not the original V2 cr2.

Jaagar may have some more/better information on this, but I think you want to avoid deleting any PBM's associated with the FBM's you want to keep on the figure.

Hope this helps.

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 3:33 PM

Now, there are a couple of issues here, some that I will need help with. I have been using MM4 and its "combine morphs' function for this. But V2 is really set up for FBM/PBM and the morph settings do not show on the dials, so I am not sure that MM4 recognizes the settings done by FBM. If it was just FBM, you could set the individual dials by hand abd turn off the FBM dial. The PBM mess this up. You need the control morph as well as the slaves with PBM. When you set the control, you set the slaves, so you can not turn the control off, but if you do not, and also set the slaves by hand, you get twice the effect you want. The only way to do this is to set the limit on the slave to the setting that you want and hope that "forcelimits" is at least set at "1" if not "4". Poser has a function "Spawn morph". I have not used it, because I have had trouble saving morphs out of Poser and altering them in RDS ( those morphs just blew up when i tried them). I think if you do a Spawn morph for every group involved, it will make a new dial for you, and it will be a combination morph - including the FBM/PBM. Save this CR2 with its own name (this is a intermediate backup, incase you blow it later on.) Then open the Hierarchy editor and you can delete the construction morphs, and just keep your combination morph (You do want to keep - JCM, fixes, position, and expression morphs though.) The Hierarchy is tricky, in that the first time you go to a group, it will stop at the group name. You have to click more than once. Just make sure where you are. It walks down the branches one level at a time. Also click on the morph icon, not the name, otherwise all you delete is the name and that is a bitch to fix. If all goes well, save it over the other one you just saved, or with a new name, open it test it and then delete the intermediate CR2. MM4 will delete for you, CR2Edit will. But short of using a text editor and scrolling with the shift key down, I know of no way of deleting morphs, except one by one.

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 3:41 PM

BUT, you could come at this from the other way: Open a copy of V2 in MM4 and batch delete all of the morphs. It will let you delete ALL the morphs in a group at one go. Then open your intermediate CR2 (the one with the combine morph and all the others) and just copy over the ones you do want. With V2, this may be faster. Body will still have the FBM dials - they will do nothing without their morphs, or you can cut them out with the text editor. (I think Hierarchy will do it If you select "show all parameters" instead of "show parameters".

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 4:07 PM

For combining morphs I use "spawn morphs" all the time. But I'm just thinking that if you are going to combine morphs for all your body parts, wouldn't you just create a new FBM in Poser...wouldn't that create new combined morphs in each group for every body part based on what various morphs are being used?

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 5:21 PM

No. All a FBM is, is a dial, not a morph. When you hit "create full body morph" all this does, is insert the five lives of code into EVERY morph that is not zero. So is you create a FBM with Yell at 0.5, the FBM will do Yell as well as any other morph. No new morphs are generated by this method. If you do spawn - then turn it on and all the others off, then you can do a FBM for your spawned morph group. But if you strip the CR2 of the construction morphs and have just the combined morph for each group, there is no competition, so you may as well just leave each combined morph set by itself. Making an ALL Morph Vicki now that V2 is out and include the morphs from all us 3rd party morphers ? I shudder to think just how large this one would be. The All Just Head Morphs version has to be a monster all by itself.

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 5:54 PM

"The All Just Head Morphs version has to be a monster all by itself."

And imagine if all those morphs were set to 1.000...

Anyway, you can tell how often I make FBM's. Generally after I've constructed the character I want, I export it along with the clothing its wearing as a single obj and set up a cr2 to create a single integrated clothing figure...this generally destroys all the original body morphs (because the vertex count for each body part changes with the addition of clothing) and leaves me with only the face morphs.

Photopium ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 6:10 PM

...tap tap...is this thing on??? I do believe I a gave a solution that will work just fine without additional software? -WTB

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 6:42 PM

You would atleast need a text editor to change the obj references in the cr2 =)

Jaager ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 8:05 PM

WTB, Someone earlier said that he had a Mike morph that, set a morph of the same name on Vicki. I have not conformrd that this happens, but if it does, then different geometries do not protect. If fact, now that I think about it, if it did CM would not work. A skirt and the figure that controls are are different in fact as well as in name and cross-talk happens here, in fact it is the point in this instance.

JetM ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2001 at 9:27 PM

and THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is what these forums are for!!! Thanks JKeller and Jaager for the above. My head's spinning, but I think I just learned more about Poser in a few minutes than I have in the last 6 months. Don't understand it all, but it's there :) I'll mull it over later.

Deberus ( ) posted Sat, 19 May 2001 at 6:57 PM

I have to say that this is the first thread I have ever printed in my 2yrs of checking for interesting posts!! Hats Off!! ========Deberus

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.