Sun, Sep 22, 6:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 4:30 pm)

Subject: Self Illuminated materials??

alphauser51 ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 10:41 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 8:35 AM

How do you make a material self illuminated in Poser?
In 3D Max this would be simple, but I cant figure how how to do this
in Poser and there is nothing in the manual or on the net.
Any help appreciated.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 11:01 AM
Site Admin

For that you would need Luminosity, which AFAIK Poser doesn't have
the closest equivalent is to make the object translucent and put a poing light inside it.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 11:16 AM

Try this thread.  I've been playing with it.  It's not something that happens right away but with some experimentation it should happen.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2217752

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

stewer ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 1:29 PM

Just set the material's ambient_color and ambient_value.

alphauser51 ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 2:09 PM

Im trying to  illuminte  an  video clip mapped to  an object.
To simulate the glow of a tv monitor with an animated video.

odeathoflife ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 3:48 PM

You are going to have to cheat by using a spot light, and maybe depending on the situation, some volumetrics.

stwerer is right though ( as always LOL) you will have to boost the objects abients.

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 4:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=277007

If anyone can help, it's bagginsbill.  Have a look at that thread. It might help you. If not you can try posting to ask if it's possible for your project.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2007 at 10:24 PM

Attached Link: glow effect in poser help!

See my post from Thu, May 17, 2007 5:17 pm for more ideas.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2007 at 7:11 AM

Confusion alert.

Self-illuminating? You mean you want an object to be bright even if there are no lights in the scene, right? No problem - use the ambient as people said. For a movie or image map, you don't even have to do that. Plug it straight into the Alternate_Diffuse input. Make sure you turn off Diffuse_Value and Specular_Value, unless you want to simulate a glass surface on top of the image - then use specular as well.

Illuminating other things? Its best to set up one or more lights (spot or point) parented to the object. A point light just in front of the middle of a TV screen works pretty well Use ray-traced shadows on it. You could use spot lights, but they only spread up to 160 degrees - so I use two or more if I need a lot of nearby objects lit, to get those last 20 degrees covered. 

Illuminated BY other things? That would be the Gather node, but it is really bad - produces grainy results or is excruciatingly slow.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 10:08 AM

I'd been thinking the Gather was grainy, thanks, I'll be waiting for especially good news!

:tongue2:

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.