Sat, Oct 5, 8:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: skin texturing

Cryoc ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 2:18 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 6:18 AM

I was wondering if there is a tutorial or if someone could tell me how they get such realistic skin textures , Poors and all. And the running on the skin?

thixen ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 2:43 PM

it depends are you looking for a tutorial on how to get the finished results using an existing texture or how to create the texture from scratch?

grylin ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 2:53 PM · edited Tue, 12 June 2007 at 2:59 PM

Attached Link: http://mysticfantasies.com/

hey:) try  this link. she has a free base texture for v3. so one can make their own make ups etc:D i stumbled upon it and im glad  since im not  so good at making from scratch:D (look in her freestuff)

Cryoc ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 3:04 PM

thankyou for that grylin. And as for your question thixen. I guess im just trying to learn what ever I can and I find the water driping off the skin and poors and all to be way neat and would like to understand how to make it happen. So weather it be for from scratch or however else it is acheived.

Tiari ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 3:13 PM

From what I have seen, most of the "water on skin" effects are done after render in an art program.  Some might do it in process with a 3d program, but I dont know of any offhand.  Skin textures will flatten on the figure, so would water painted ON the texture.  

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 3:49 PM

Thanks grylin for the link! Very useful!

Cryoc - "water on skin" is one of the most difficult effect to obtain on skin. The easier way could be to have water paint on the map as Tiari said. Then, to deflatten them, why not use a displacement map?

My Store

Cryoc ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 3:53 PM

OK so they have those out I have looked but have had a tough time finding them. And what about pores?

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:15 PM

Pores of the skin only depends of the quality of your base texturemap. i.e. if you want to create your own from craft, you NEED to have very good quality photos as a base. Except if you plan to use your character far from the camera, so the pores and other skin details won't be noticeable.

My Store

Cryoc ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:26 PM

Ok and from scratch you are using the templates right? and just widening out the photo image and puting it on the template?     Or are you actually going into a UV map program and doing it there? or are they not the same or am I just  completly lost? hehe

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:32 PM

Right for the templates. You have to put your pieces of photos on the template, following the guides for the eyes, lips... Check out some tutorials you will find all around in the tutorial area, even in the gallery i saw a splendid tut, but i just can't remember from whom  :(

My Store

Kalypso ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:48 PM
Site Admin

Attached Link: http://poserpros.daz3d.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4030

Sean Martin wrote a nice tut on making textures using photographs over at Poser Pros.

Cryoc ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:58 PM

Thankyou Kalypso. and all of you for your replys You guys are all so helpful here!! its just amazing.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 4:58 PM

Quote - I was wondering if there is a tutorial or if someone could tell me how they get such realistic skin textures , Poors and all. And the running on the skin?

Try this thread for some links to tutorials on how to do texturing.

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2660658

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Cryoc ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2007 at 5:30 PM

thankyou as well acadia

vincebagna ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 1:27 AM

Well, i was sure that if i forget a link, Acadia would find it ;)

Cryoc - As a new user of Renderosity, you'll notice that you'll often see Acadia popping up as a Linkie Fairy with the link or site address you were begging for...  :D
The negative part is that your bookmark folder will complain a lot...

Acadia - I always wonder something, with all the links you have saved, your cpu MUST fill a complete room, isn't it? lol   ;P

My Store

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 1:58 AM

LOL, funny that you should mention that! I  was just looking through my hard drive to see what I can delete. to free up some space,  haha

Seriously, that's what I'm in the middle of doing!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 8:56 AM
Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:17 AM

file_380047.jpg

[ Sub Surface Scattering](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2853213&ebot_calc_page#message_2853213)

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:20 AM

Thankyou for that as well Angelouscuitry You all rock thats all I can say. Now I just have to work up the nerv to give this a shot and Ill be good. I love this place so many great people I hope that I will be able to give back in the way that I have recieved one of these days.

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 11:58 AM

Well I looked over at rdna for baginsbill I dont think that matmatic is over there anymore I couldnt find him over there. I did a search am I going abnout this the wrong way.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 12:02 PM

I think this is the link to it:
http://www.runtimedna.com/mod/forum/messages.php?ShowMessage=228105
if I don't have the right one, someone please chime in :)

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 12:35 PM

Ok that was it Conniekat thankyou. I am going to give it a shot and read the manual and stuff IM pretty inexpierience and might be a bit over my head at this point. I mostly am just expierementing because I havnt been sure where to start in my learning process. I think I have learned my way around poser ok and the basics with the few projects I have done.

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 12:42 PM

I went to the link he put up for it and it wasnt there? is it not a beta anymore do I need to go somwhere else?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 12:56 PM

this should give you more info:  http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2698990
If you search for matmatic download in the poser forum (here) there's a lot more info on it. :)

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 1:13 PM

ok I think I got the download thankyou!!! Now ill check out some of the info on how it works!!

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 1:25 PM

Ok that was it Conniekat thankyou. I am going to give it a shot and read the manual and stuff IM pretty inexpierience and might be a bit over my head at this point. I mostly am just expierementing because I havnt been sure where to start in my learning process. I think I have learned my way around poser ok and the basics with the few projects I have done.

Cryoc ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 5:29 PM

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:05 PM · edited Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:07 PM

Matmatic is really easy, it's just different.

You need to make a folder in your material library.  Let's say you call it "Matmatic01"

You then need to create a file called userconfig.txt, in your RuntimePython|matmatic folder.   This is what will tell matmatic where you put your Matmatic Materials folder.  The syntax to do this is:

scan :Runtime:libraries:materials:Matmatic01*

In other words the only thing you need to add, to that new usercongig.txt file is:

scan :Runtime:libraries:materials:Matmatic01*

Now go search around for Matmatic scripts.  When you find one you like right-click on it, ans select save as.  you can name it whatever you want, but you need to end the name with ".mm1" WHile saving the script, create a subdirectory; in the Matmatic01 folder, with the name of the script, and save the script in there.  You can repeat this as mny times as you want, before you move on to the last step.

Run the compile.py, within your RuntimePythonmatmatic folder.

Now browse to your new RuntimeMaterialsMatmatic01 folder(From the materials room Library Palette;) and then into the new folder.  If you were already there when you ran the compile.py you'll need to leave and go back.  The new material files will all then be there.  They wo'nt have proper thumbnail, but they'll work great!
It may help to make another sub-directory(within the first sub-directory) with the HTML page of the script(I do.)

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 13 June 2007 at 9:13 PM

I may not say bagginsbill is the man to see first about SSS though.  If it were to come down to free stuff he's The Man, but face_off's HyperRealV3(And other) python scripts are top end.  They're like $25, but are well worth it.  I'll post some before/after shots tomorrow or so, you'l be surprised how much is contributed by his script alone!

BTW - SSS only really works very well with medium complexions.  Just keep that in mind when your thinking of going for that special realism.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 2:40 PM

But I'm getting better at it, even with light skin :biggrin:

And it doesn't have to be red either.

Is this too red? Looks like real skin on my monitors.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ice-boy ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 3:29 PM

looks very good. is this apollo?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 5:03 PM

file_380157.jpg

Yes its Apollo. He is incredibly versatile. I can't believe how many characters you can make so easily.

I got inspired when you had trouble using UBSS on him, and another shader pal asked for help, too. 

This shader is far more complex than UBSS, but it is based on exactly that technique. I'm almost done with it. All the renders I've posted are from exactly the same shader. I have parameter dials that you adjust to get all these different effects. You can see them in the attached screen shot. You don't have to go into the material room at all. 

It should be ready in the next couple days. Then I'll post an announcement on where to get it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2007 at 6:57 PM

Wow!

I don't know how you do what you do...I'm just glad you do it!

I can't wait to get my hands on this!

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 2:14 AM

Quote - Yes its Apollo. He is incredibly versatile. I can't believe how many characters you can make so easily.

I got inspired when you had trouble using UBSS on him, and another shader pal asked for help, too. 

This shader is far more complex than UBSS, but it is based on exactly that technique. I'm almost done with it. All the renders I've posted are from exactly the same shader. I have parameter dials that you adjust to get all these different effects. You can see them in the attached screen shot. You don't have to go into the material room at all. 

It should be ready in the next couple days. Then I'll post an announcement on where to get it.

will it be matmatic? 

you rock

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 7:47 AM

Yes there is a matmatic script, so you can learn how I do all this and you can also modify the textures to use other ones, and manipulate how the effects are done directly.

I will also distribute pre-built mat-pose files so people can just use the shader without dealing with matmatic.

Cryoc ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 6:09 PM

Ok I have been away the last couple days but all I can say is wowwie I don;t think ive realy met you bagginsbill but your amazing thats all I can say!! Im still trying to learn what all this stuff means haha!!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:14 PM · edited Fri, 15 June 2007 at 9:23 PM

"But I'm getting better at it..."

:lol:  That's awsome, thanks for chiming in, and with such impecable timing!  :thumbupboth: 

I definately love to see the level of effort in your work, focused on skin quality!  

Do you have Face_Off's HyperREALV3, or understand his approach?

bagginsbill

Hmm, I think the realism increses toward the left, while I like the image to the far right least.

One thing I think is a big part of realistic SSS, are freckles, which is why I like the second to the right alot; but getting thier, poor, and skin colors' contrast just right is definatley the task at hand.

The far left has the best nice color depth, and sheen; but I think incorporating freckles would be so difficult.  Kind of a shame(too bad?)

"I got inspired when you had trouble using UBSS...:"

What's UBSS?

"I have parameter dials that you adjust to get all these different effects."

Wow, I've never seen that before!

"I will also distribute pre-built mat-pose files so people can just use the shader without dealing with matmatic."

I did have mixed feeling about the parameter dials though, I think I'd have missed the Material Room somewhat.

"Yes there is a matmatic script..."

And that's good news, I'm definately interested in knowing how Matmatic will add variation, especially with regard to SSS!

🆒

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 8:49 AM

file_380581.jpg

> Quote - Yes there is a matmatic script, so you can learn how I do all this and you can also modify the textures to use other ones, and manipulate how the effects are done directly. > > I will also distribute pre-built mat-pose files so people can just use the shader without dealing with matmatic.

The Big Guy Loves yah Bagginsbill.

It should be like X-mas for Am when the latest matmatic script debutes.

Cheers
DR

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

ice-boy ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2007 at 8:53 AM

how is it going? when can we expect teh new script?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 30 June 2007 at 7:56 AM

In case you didn't notice, my Apollo Maximus shader has been posted.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2702979

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.