Tue, Oct 1, 9:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Whaaaa - lighting problems - round 3. Bryce related

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 12:29 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:30 PM

file_380353.png

Hi all,

First off thanks for taking your time to consider solutions to my problems.

This is my 3rd post about this problem, I have been fighting it all week and I think I know more about the 'whys' of the problem, but I don't have a solution other than to find another 3d program to make landscapes with.

Here are the original 2 posts

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2700726
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2700483

Ok.. As I said in post I started over completely from scratch. I tested along the way as I set things up to make sure that the only lights that were visible inside the structure were the lights that were inside. No outside light coming through the walls. All was good until I loaded a prop landscape that I made in Bryce 6. The instant I load the landscape prop the lights go all the @#$$%. They start shining through the wall and the floor. I have even gone to the extreme of taking a hi-rez plane from the primatives and tried placing the plane under the structure so that it would (in theory) block any light coming from below. NADA.. No change.

So at that point I thought I had exported something incorrectly from Bryce and that there is probably a light source in my content that I cannot see.

So.. I noticed that there was another content package here that was for landscapes, 12 bucks.. /shrug why not. So I bought the package "LandZone - Morphing Terrains" thinking that I would throw out my Bryce landscape and whaaa-laa, good to go... Irony of ironies... the content I bought is Bryce based and does EXACTLY the SAME THING.

GGGrrrrrr

Once the lights are shot (meaning I have imported the landscape and the structure starts letting light in the walls and floor), it doesn't matter whether I delete the landscape prop or not. The lights still shine through the floor and I have to start from a previous save where I have never loaded the landcape prop.

Any ideas?
Are there rules for importing Bryce content that I don't know??

This picture is from the inside of the structure after the lights are messed up. There is an infinite light outside that is set to blue, I placed a hi-res mongo sized sphere in the middle of the structure to see where the light was coming in.

(sorry for the spelling, in my world 'phonics' is spelled 'fonix')

geep ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 1:21 PM

file_380358.gif

Your posted image appears very dark to me. I have tried to enhance it here. I do not have time right now to analyze it because I need to go out for awhile but I'll take a better look when I return.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 2:05 PM

Hi Doc

THANK YOU !

All I can imagine at this point is that Bryce somehow saves a light source in its files and every time I pull in bryce content it blows up Posers lights. There should be NO light on that sphere, and the lighting effects I am trying to achieve are trashed by all the unwanted blue light leaking in from outside.

Thank you VERY much for your time.

Paul

geep ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 4:11 PM

@ Phuzzie

Can you email the .pz3 file to me so that I may analyze it?

[ drgeep@cableone.com

](mailto:drgeep@cableone.com?subject=Unwanted%20light&body=A%20strange%20lighting%20effect.)

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 5:34 PM

Doc,

File will be up in about 5 mins

password is

lemmein

Paul

geep ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 6:02 PM · edited Sat, 16 June 2007 at 6:02 PM

Paul,

I have d/l'd file but when I try to load it, it is missing several objects (.obj files) and texmaps.

Plse advise.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 6:36 PM

Doc,

I was wondering why you would want that file.. I didn't think it contained all the content required to load it (I thought you might have mighty magic python script that would dig out the lighting info).

Is there a way to have Poser 7 save all the various parts to a single .pz3?

geep ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 6:46 PM · edited Sat, 16 June 2007 at 6:48 PM

Poser 7? ... There's a Poser 7? :blink:

;=?

I'm jk ... :biggrin: ........ But ...I may have to sleep on this one. ... 😕

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 7:04 PM

no problem

Thank you for your time.

If I find anything else I will let you know.

Cheers  ;-)

I will think of a new project for the time being...
humm I wonder if I try a graveyard... will the coffins leak blue light too...
maybe ... I know.. a blue duck.. or maybe the holy handgrenade of Antioch

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 7:59 PM

Can you show a Top camera view that illustrates where the lights are positioned?  What kind of lights, spotlights or infinite?  It kind of looks to me like your lights are Infinite, which means the light is basically hitting the "outside" of your props (the walls and roof of the scene) and stopping.  If they are spotlights, you can move them around within the scene like real lights and possibly get better results.

There isn't any way I know of to get Poser 7 to output all textures and whatnot into a single file.

My Freebies

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 8:15 PM

Doesn't poser come with a py script that copies all needed file in a single directory?
(I'm not at my poser computer to look it up), the command is somewhere on one of the far right menus.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 8:42 PM

Hi PJZ,

I am using a combination of point, infinite and spots. My problem is that even if I turn off all the lights except the one infinite light (that is outside the structure) the light still comes through the walls and floor.

If I throw the whole project out and start from scratch, when I first load the content "Level 19" everything works fine. None of the outside (3 default infinite) lights shines into the structure. So if I put the camera inside the building and hit 'render' I get mostly darkness (just like I should). As soon as I add my outside terrain part, all the lights start acting weird. The pic I submitted is all the lights off except for one infinite light outside the structure. I put the hi-rez ball inside the structure just so I could have a glossy surface to see where the lights were coming from. There are no open doors the room is (at least should be) sealed up.

I have reinstalled Poser, I have reinstalled my content and tried to load a fresh copy. I finally started the project over and that is when I noticed that everything went wacky when I load my bryce terrain outside. I have gone to the MAT room and darkened my surface on my terrain (just incase my phantom lights are reflections off the terrain). I have taken a hi-res plane and put it under the structure trying to block the lights out. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. I made the plane HUGE and moved it to various positions trying to block out the light and it makes no difference where I put the silly thing.

So now I am doing a cartoon with Xil and ArtemisX camping outside because of the nasty blue rediation in their hangar. They are grumpy (and they don't know it but they are about to be eaten by space monsters).

So its ok... when life throws you lemons.. make lemonaide

;-)

Phuz

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 8:42 PM

P.S. Thanks Connie I will look for the .py script. that would be a cool little tid-bit to know anyway.

Cheers

geep ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 8:54 PM

Quote - Doesn't poser come with a py script that copies all needed file in a single directory?
(I'm not at my poser computer to look it up), the command is somewhere on one of the far right menus.

Yes ... it's under:
[menu] "Window" >>> "Python Scripts" >>> "Utility Funcs" >>> "Collect Scene Inventory"

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 9:14 PM

file_380378.jpg

Here is the top down glimpse you asked for. Notice that the inside lights are shining straight through the walls and illuminating the outside...

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 10:06 PM

Are shadows turned on for all of those lights?  Are shadows turned on in render options?  If no to either question, then that is part of your problem.

if your spotlights are inside the building, and shadows are on, switch camera views through the "Shadow Lite Cam X" - can you see outside terrain near the edge of your building?  Then the light isn't quite inside the building even if it looks very close.

For the infinite light(s), if shadows are turned off (either at light or in render options) then light will shine through your walls and light up things you'd expect would be in shadow.  

Even if they're not, depending on how the building is modeled, you can still get some unexpected results - the walls may be a single-sided group of polygons, or a pair of them with one side facing in and one side facing out.  In the Advanced view in Materials Room, try selecting each material group that you think is letting light through for the walls, and enabling "Normals_Forward".

My Freebies

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 10:13 PM

Thanks PJZ,

I will go look into that. I have gone through and checked the shadows part. I found that it was turned off in the renders a while back and turning that on helped. In fact I thought that had fixed it until I started trying to do more renders and realized everything was still blue. But I will check the lights again adn I did not know about the materials part. I will give it a look.

THANKS !

Phuz

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2007 at 11:16 PM

humm.. nope..

No difference. I went thru and double checked the lights to make sure that they all cast shadows (and they do) and that the shadows were turned on in the rendering settings (and they are) and I went to the materials room and turned on tons of 'normals fordard' check boxes.

Same thing, light leaks in from everywhere.

But at the least everything I (we) try teaches me something new.. so there are good things comeing out of the deal.

Thanks PJZ

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 2:50 AM

Well, another thing to try (you may have already been trying something like this) is to turn off all lights, and then check them one at a time to see which light is causing the problem.  When you do Object -> Create Light in Poser, it appears to just assign a random color, so possibly one of the lights is actually blue - this can help you nail down which one, and also which one is making the unexpected light.

My Freebies

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 2:43 PM

Morning PJZ,

;-)

Yea that is how I got to where I am. That top picture is all the lights turned off except for 2. But any light I turn on (with all the others turned off) creates one kind of problem or another. I have gotten word from CP that there are known issues with my N-vidia driver and Poser 7, so it may turn out to be that.

Phuz

Phuzzie ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 2:56 PM

file_380423.jpg

Hummm...

What to do???

geep ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2007 at 5:27 PM

:lol:

;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.