Sun, Sep 22, 11:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Faceshop Pro thread closed by staff after degenerating into a flamefest

DCArt ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 2:20 PM · edited Wed, 18 July 2007 at 2:22 PM

file_383233.jpg

A confirmation that that ugly monster is indeed a dog .. the world's ugliest dog, in fact. Saw him on one of the late night shows not too long ago and he's even uglier in motion! LOL

But ... as long as everyone is posting cat pics I felt I had to contribute. Meet the new member of my family ... Thoth (aka "Mumbles" for Happy Feet), my new little Egyptian Mau boy. He is a purr machine!

(I just had to show him off!)

vince3 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:04 PM

that's a cool cat deecey!! i reckon he'd look good with a diamond collar.

i think he is about to do the "dead parrot sketch" now though!! so can you stop him doing that as i have seen that sketch sooooooo many times already.

momodot ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:18 PM · edited Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:27 PM

I don't want to be a funsuck but does every one own the copyright to the cat images they are using? Specifically the photo of that animal(?) posted by Anton, his post seems to indicate he did know the "subject" so maybe he did not get its aproval to be photographed, maybe he found the image on the net and it isn't properly lisensed by the photographer to be reproduced here. Definately no offense to you Anton but I think we have a policy issue here :)

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:38 PM

file_383238.jpg

My subjects... I mean cats consent to being photographed. [Please pay no attention to hiding attempts and dirty squints in the pictures and photographers scratched up hands]

@Deecey - that's one beautiful kitten, thanks for sharing!

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

jjroland ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 3:38 PM

Excellent point Momo.  It was stated recently that this is an "across the board" rule.  So it would seem to me that any picture whatsover should no longer be posted on the renderosity forums unless you are willing to provide proof that either A you are the original copyright owner or B can present proof of purchased license for use.

I'm certain that super model photos aren't the only ones that qualify under copyright laws.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:15 PM

I cannot post any pictures of my cats in here, as they have declined their permission: and have refused to sign the necessary consent forms.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

geep ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:24 PM

Didn't you mean con-scent forms?

;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:30 PM · edited Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:31 PM

cough cough Of course that's what I actually meant to say.........

I'll do an end-run around the cats, and create clones of them in Poser.  :sneaky:

Cough up hair balls on MY rug, will they..................?

geep ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:41 PM

Quote - cough cough Of course that's what I actually meant to say.........

I'll do an end-run around the cats, and create clones of them in Poser.  :sneaky:

Cough up hair balls on MY rug, will they..................?

Um, was that a request?

;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 4:41 PM

Quote - Didn't you mean con-scent forms?  ;=]

litterbox sand imprint... the puuurrfect seat of approval!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 5:02 PM

Quote - Um, was that a request?

;=]

No --- I was just threatening my cats.  I do that a lot.  It helps to keep them in line.  :biggrin:

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 5:10 PM

file_383250.jpg

Xeno, this is all your fault :tt2: you made me try and envision "inline cats" It's only fair that I share the suffering of having this mental picture!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 5:17 PM

My cats do that occasionally -- but not very often.  They're not dogs -- in which case they'd do it all of the time.  Including at inopportune moments.......like when guests are over.  I just don't understand why they don't have any sense of couth at all.  You'd think that they would have been raised better than that.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 5:44 PM

I have heard that ...

"Dogs have owners ... Cats have staff."

Any truth in that?

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 6:06 PM

I'm food serving catbox cleening ear scratching claw clippin brushing defleeing petting bed sharing attention payin' overworked underappreciated kitty tending staff...
I think I need a raise!  And I don't mean no tail raise in my face !   !!

jjroland ( ) posted Wed, 18 July 2007 at 7:42 PM

Would this be the wrong place to bring up what I had for dinner last night?  Initially I had thought that it was Siamese cuisine - (which I just adore) - but my hubby informed me that it was standard Cornish Rex.  Delightful = D

ok - Im kidding - normally I wouldn't admit that, but I'm afraid of Connie.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

DarkAngelGenesis ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 2:59 AM

Every now and again something compells me to unlurk and post a random comment. 

You people are great!

Quietly relurks

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 3:13 AM

Quote -

It's the late Sam a Chinese crested. he was a 3 time winner of the worlds ugliest dog contest.

And I dare say he deserves every ribbon!!!!!! I suppose even after death, so long as they are discreet, he will still win ribbons! I doubt anyone will notice any difference.

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

ghelmer ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 3:27 AM

Quote - > Quote -

It's the late Sam a Chinese crested. he was a 3 time winner of the worlds ugliest dog contest.

And I dare say he deserves every ribbon!!!!!! I suppose even after death, so long as they are discreet, he will still win ribbons! I doubt anyone will notice any difference.

YOU MEAN IT'S NOT DEAD ALREADY????  So, this isn't a zombie dog??  DANG!!

This has turned into a fun thread!!!  Happy to be on it for the ride!

G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

ghelmer ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 3:32 AM

file_383282.jpg

Zombie Dog from the Game Cube Resident Evil Remake....   looking pretty similar........ 

SCARY

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 3:40 AM

LOL @ Anton

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 4:37 AM · edited Thu, 19 July 2007 at 4:38 AM

EEEEE my fave scary game of all time RE! {never been so scared playing a video game in my life...the first one scared me silly :lol:}

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 9:24 AM · edited Thu, 19 July 2007 at 9:25 AM

Quote -

One more Karen...............well ... I think it is a cat anyway. Not entirely sure to be honest. Anyone else know what the hell this thing might be?

That would be the worlds ugliest dog anton or well thats what I am told that is.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:06 PM · edited Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:07 PM

Actually, he's the last years ugliest dog. There's a new one for this year - if you can imagine anything uglier!
http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/uglydogvote07.shtml
IIRC, Ellwood (middle of the page down) won this year...
I don't follow this... they had all about it on a major TV network here, and my honey fell solid asleep clutching the remote, I was powerless to change the channel :blink:

Khai ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:09 PM

*and my honey fell solid asleep clutching the remote, I was powerless to change the channel

must... resist... comment... about.... buttons...on....the...TV.....*

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:18 PM

*must... resist... comment... about.... buttons...on....the...TV.....
*TV's have buttons too?  :blink:   No way!  :blink:

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:37 PM

file_383308.jpg

Anton said, "Disgareement or disapproval, itself, is not a personal attack or a valid reason to lock or delete a thread. Although the thread wasn't friendly, I was suprised it was locked. Far worst threads have gone on for pages and pages and pages and days and days and days."

The TamelaJ thread in the copyright forum comes to mind. However, there is no excuse to being nasty online. Would you treat your coworkers that way? Well, maybe only a few.......

vince3 ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 12:51 PM

from conniekats link i reckon pee-wee is in with a chance this year then!!

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 9:32 PM

it is Fluffy...he is the destroyer of worlds...;)

I'd post pics of the cats, if they didn't spend all their time standing in front of my monitor...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

mathman ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 10:16 PM

That's one scary looking cat.....
Don't bother him while he's poopin'

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 11:10 PM

file_383378.jpg

You have got to see this. My daughter found them.

drifterlee ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 11:12 PM

file_383381.gif

and this

geep ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 11:22 PM

:lol: Very nicely done !!!

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

byAnton ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 11:43 PM

LOL

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

R_Hatch ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2007 at 11:45 PM

Attached Link: LOLcats

Those would be LOLcats.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 9:06 AM

Quote - > Quote - I can see this thread is off to a GREAT start!  :rolleyes:

I am sorry - I am not uncivil or controversial. I just want to know what the principle is behind this closure. I do belive that personal attacks should be censured - I am just curious whether it should take the form of banning the offending comments or the form of a collective punishment.
Laslo

Well, here's an idea,,, why not simply add a modified ignore button, like most fora do, so you can no longer see those whom you think to be trolls within that thread? This tidbit from Anton: > Quote - Personally, I was once told by a mod here she thought I needed to be taught a lesson and left a thread open.

You're serious? Okay, I can see "Free Discussion, eh?" or "Hey, toughen up a little" as valid reasons if a mod didn't want to lock a thread. But "you need to be taught a lesson"? Something isn't right there. Karen: > Quote - I edited your thread title to reflect reality more closely...

That ain't right either. Since when did Rendo's fora become The Ministry of Truth? Oy, vey... /P

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 10:53 AM

I believe Karen was being attacked in that other thread, and then a couple of other folks started going at it. Nothing to do with Faceshop Pro at all. What they need is a forum called "Let's sling mud at everyone".

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 10:57 AM · edited Fri, 20 July 2007 at 11:00 AM

The cat pics came from http://icanhascheezburger.com I think those cat pics are being passed all over the Interent, LOL!

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 11:18 AM

The term "troll" is one of the most over-used & mis-applied terms in common public forum-speak.  At its base, "troll" means an individual who regularly posts inflammatory comments for the purpose of eliciting a response from others......any response at all.  In other words: someone who's only looking to kick over an ant hill so that they can amuse themselves by watching the stupid ants beneath them scurry around.  It's the type of thing that most people did back when they were 8 years old.  And then they got over doing it when they came of age at 12.

However, the term "troll" is often mis-used to mean "anyone who takes a point of view that isn't mine", or "someone who I can't beat in an argument, so I'll just start calling them names instead".

I've also seen the term "troll" applied to anyone who doesn't fit in with the majority opinion on a given board.

However -- having said all of that -- there are individuals for whom the term "troll" is clearly appropriate.  When around 95% of someone's posts on a board are nothing more than swipes directed at that board and its policies -- often coupled with behind-the-scenes self-satisfied smirking (like they've got nothing better to do with their personal time) -- then I'd say that the term troll is just right.  After awhile, their motivations for behaving in the manner that they are behaving become transparent to all but their fellow-travelers who also wish to ride minor points for nothing more than ego-stroking purposes.

Personally, I just stay off of boards that I don't happen to like.  I don't waste my incredibly valuable time hanging around those boards and telling them what a bunch of morons they all are for not doing things the way that I think that they ought to be doing them.  Neither do I come into these home forums, and then use posts made here for a launching pad to constantly slam those idiots over there at that other website who aren't nearly as smart as I am.  Because if they were smart (like me) -- then they'd be following orders and doing what I told them to do - in the way that I told them to do it.

Note: you don't see the admins from Rendo trolling the forums at other websites, telling those other sites how they ought to be running their businesses........and otherwise making negative remarks about how those other websites choose to operate.  The technical term for such off-the-wall behavior is: professionalism.

And there's also this:  there are plenty of boards where threads like that one wouldn't have survived deletion beyond the first post or two.  It would probably have gotten the participants banned, too.

Ya know, there are many individuals on this board who spend a lot of their personal time and effort in sharing their knowledge & expertise with the rest of the community.  I've learned about shaders, lighting, etc., etc. through the posts of those professional teachers.  Their work is greatly appreciated.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 11:21 AM

Quote - I believe Karen was being attacked in that other thread, and then a couple of other folks started going at it. Nothing to do with Faceshop Pro at all. What they need is a forum called "Let's sling mud at everyone".

Such forums exist.  They used to have forums like that here at Rendo -- experience showed the better course of wisdom for a business: and they got rid of them.

Bring on the cat pics.  I just LOVE cat pics!!!!!! :thumbupboth:

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 11:36 AM

I say bring on the mud slinging. So long as it's done by women in bikinis.
Yeah, I'm shallow! :biggrin:

Natolii ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 11:59 AM

Hey I resemble this remark... 😕

Though I want to know what coordinated attack, why I wasn't included in on the planning, and what you are smoking, babe? :tt2:

Quote - When I see an utterly unjustified, behind-the-scenes coordinated personal attack going on: I'm not the type to sit idly by and watch it happen.  I never have been that way.  If some wish to consider that as 'trolling'......it isn't.  It's a response to trolls.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 12:11 PM

Well, if you'd like to engage in a coordinated attack, then please contact me via Site Mail and we'll set something up.  But first we'll need to decide on an appropriate target: so that we can agree upon our strategy, and then go after the same individual en masse -- just like we've done on many other occasions.  Of course, no one will ever suspect what we're doing...............

I'm a non-smoker.  😉 :biggrin:

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 12:58 PM

We don't have cliques here, we have cabals!  :tt2:

Love that monorail cat !!!!!!

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 1:57 PM

I think FlameWarriors is more appropriate than Troll(s) in this case.
Gotta catch 'em all.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 2:48 PM · edited Fri, 20 July 2007 at 2:51 PM

Quote -  When around 95% of someone's posts on a board are nothing more than swipes directed at that board and its policies...

Did it ever occur to you that it may be because they happen to care about the 3D/CG hobbyist community, and would like to see it survive for longer than it would otherwise take to drown in a morass of medicrity and self-generating drama?

I'll be straight-up with you here.

The only reason I bother is because 10 years from now, I'd still like to be able to pop open a small modeler, compositor, what-have-you, and still be able to find stuff to use in it. Rendo happens to be (for now) the biggest focus of folks who do the low-budget hobbyist thing.If it dies, I can see a huge chunk (if not the majority) of the hobbyist community's continued growth die with it.

If someone doesn't keep a given business honest (esp. when there is a history showing a rampant lack thereof), then said business has a nasty habit of screwing themselves over in the long-term as they begin to fall for their own hype. The result harms everyone else far more in the end.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't bother. I'd happily sit back and watch as the place slowly drowned in its own hubris. And this is coming from a guy who once absolutely LOVED to seek out and give the self-righteous among us a nice swift kick in the ego...

Besides, it beats 95% of the posts being naught but mindless flattery and corporate brown-nosing, ne? ;)

PS: This one is frighteningly close to what I see in these fora lately... http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/cybersisters.htm

/P

scanmead ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 4:20 PM · edited Fri, 20 July 2007 at 4:21 PM

huh? As far as I can tell, this site is being run by concientious people, who do their best to stay in business and keep things civil. As far as hubris is concerned, pride in one's work is constructive, not vain. The web can be a strange place, but rude and whining is just that, no matter what name you slap on it. (No, I'm not referring to anyone in this thread.) And a few people who agree defending actions are just that: people who agree. I'll plead guilty to being a Pollyana in most of my comments, but they're heartfelt. Otherwise I wouldn't bother to type them. The makeover for example. It wasn't the one I voted for, but now that it's up, it looks great, it works great, and I like it. No brown-nosing or mindless flattery, even though it's positive. Criticism can come in 2 forms. Going on the offensive will, quite naturally, put everyone on the defensive. Presenting your issues calmly and asking for assistance usually elicits all sorts of help. Let's face it: nothing here is truly life-or-death critical, or has to be solved in the next 10 seconds. 2¢ spent. ;)

Lord_syphex ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 4:45 PM

Quote - And I dare say he deserves every ribbon!!!!!! I suppose even after death, so long as they are discreet, he will still win ribbons! I doubt anyone will notice any difference.

Actually, he's the last years ugliest dog. There's a new one for this year - if you can imagine anything uglier!
http://www.sonoma-marinfair.org/uglydogvote07.shtml
IIRC, Ellwood (middle of the page down) won this year...
I don't follow this... they had all about it on a major TV network here, and my honey fell solid asleep clutching the remote, I was powerless to change the channel :blink:

Those dogs are so.......well the word ugly doesn't even begin to accurately describe it. :d:

geep ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 4:50 PM

**News Flash !!!

Subject:
Faceshop Pro thread expanded by members after degenerating into an "Ugly Dog" sparkfest**

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2007 at 5:48 PM

Quote - If I didn't care, I wouldn't bother. I'd happily sit back and watch as the place slowly drowned in its own hubris. And this is coming from a guy who once absolutely LOVED to seek out and give the self-righteous among us a nice swift kick in the ego...

So, you go from one extreme to another? From kicking the self righteous to being one?
Try middle ground and balance for a change.
I seriously doubt that rendo will screw up so badly to drive away it's customer base. I don't get the vibe it's run by stupid people. 
But even if it self destructs (which IMO is yet another extreme that has a very miniscule chance of happening), someone else business savvy will jump in and create another place just like it. Heck, there are already places a lot like it... RDNA, 3d commune and few others.

It reminds me of a comment someone made last week how attorneys are going to bring down internet... Ryyyght. And the sky is going to fall.
Actually sky falling might bring down the internet, if it cuts off electricity across the world.

World, business, people always find a way. It never ends up being the huge gloom and doom of extremes some people make it out to be in their arguments.
There's a difference between vigilance and hyper vigilance. Lot of things can be accomplished without raising a big ruckus or assuming the worst.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.