Sun, Sep 22, 11:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Faceshop Pro thread closed by staff after degenerating into a flamefest

jwhitham ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 6:17 PM · edited Sun, 22 July 2007 at 6:18 PM

Quote - ""YACESD

I'll give you a clue, the E stands for eat. Have a nice day.""

I know I know

You all can EAT s*** die?  should be AND die.  

Second on my list of favorites right under diaf.

Hmm, I've never really got to grips with the rules for what initials should be included in such abbreviations. I'm sure that conjuctions used to be ignored and, as someone recently pointed out to me, most UK universities exclude the word "of" in the abbreviation for their Departments of Social Sciences. Conversely our Department of Education, whilst taking every opportunity to say how important such study is, positively emphasises the conjunction in Computer Literacy and Information Technology. Probably just down to how pronouncable an acronym it makes?

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:03 PM

file_383619.jpg

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:13 PM

Quote - ... positively emphasises the conjunction in Computer Literacy and Information Technology. Probably just down to how pronouncable an acronym it makes?

Well, you would do, wouldn't you?  :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:21 PM

Conniekat8 - Looks like my cat if he doesn't get breakfast.
Today's breakfast menu
Cat: Fried ham, egg, cheese...
Me: Cold cereal, dry (cat got all the milk too). :sneaky:

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

jwhitham ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:23 PM · edited Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:24 PM

Quote - > Quote - ... positively emphasises the conjunction in Computer Literacy and Information Technology. Probably just down to how pronouncable an acronym it makes?

Absolutely. There's no point in an acronym that people can't get their tongues around.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:25 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - ... positively emphasises the conjunction in Computer Literacy and Information Technology. Probably just down to how pronouncable an acronym it makes?

Absolutely. There's no point in an acronym that people can't get their tongues around.

:lol:

My Store

My Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:33 PM

Hmmm.... acronyms... I wonder what ICECREAM stands for? Anyone wanna try to give that one a lick?

@dvlenk6  Ham and eggs.... I read as I'm slicing a piece of a BBQ'd tri-tip into kitty size chunks for dinner

jwhitham ( ) posted Sun, 22 July 2007 at 7:41 PM

Quote - Hmmm.... acronyms... I wonder what ICECREAM stands for? Anyone wanna try to give that one a lick?

Sounds a bit chilly, I think I'll just go to bed now, get ready for the storms we have predicted for tomorrow.

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 2:06 AM

Funny thing about the old Complaint and Debate Forum.....
( for those that don't know, there used to be a forum just for complaining. lol)

I was doing a search a few weeks back and the threads are all still there. You just can't click the search link to them. :)

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 2:07 AM

Back to intimidating cats...........

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 5:30 AM

Anton - WOW, that is one hell of a beauty!

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 5:40 AM · edited Mon, 23 July 2007 at 5:40 AM

Anton.. that's one hiss I wouldn't ignore! (And look at the SSS in those ears!)

mathman ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:36 AM

Those cats look possessed !

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 10:24 AM

file_383650.jpg

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 11:01 AM

"And look at the SSS in those ears!"

scanmead - A sure sign we're spending too much time in Poser, LOL! :thumbupboth:

drifterlee - Now that's cute!

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 3:15 PM

drifterlee, that scores a "10" for the awwww factor! Something about grey kitties is so engaging. I made my 15-year-old Roxi look at that hissing hairless cat, to see just what hissing does to the face underneath all her fur. She was not impressed. ;) stormchaser, it's worse when you get caught staring up close at asphalt trying to memorize bump, cracks and stain distribution, or streetlamps analyzing glow effects.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 3:23 PM

... or running around wondering if people would get mad if you ask them to take an extreme closeup photo of their eyes... LOL

scanmead ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 3:28 PM

.. or interupting a conversation to say "Look! Multiple shadows do exist!".

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 4:35 PM

As long as it's not an extreme close-up of something else, LOL!

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 6:59 PM

When I first starting exploring AO in Poser I couldn't help but look around at things in real life to see how much AO was visible!

Do you think if I stopped a woman in the street & asked her if I could take a full nude photo of her for a texture resource she'd believe me?

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:00 PM

Only after she knocked you out :lol:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:27 PM

Jumpstartme2 - I'll take that as a no then, LOL! :blink:

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:52 PM

I think the same things. Poser is an addiction.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:17 PM

An addiction without a cure!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 9:41 PM

A quick anecdot that had me giggling today:
Speaking of addictions, one of the guys in the office was talking about his brother, and how he has a 'drinking problem'... and how his brother doesnt' want to quit (sort of, why should I kind of an attitide), and the guys were sort of talking about it in a lighthearted manner...
I added, well, he seems like a smart guy to me ;) of course he doesn't want to quit... right now he has a 'drinking problem', if he quits drinking, he'll be left with just a 'problem'... 

Moral of the story... don't quit Posersizing, or whatever it is you call it ;))

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 9:50 PM

Quote - When I first starting exploring AO in Poser I couldn't help but look around at things in real life to see how much AO was visible!

Do you think if I stopped a woman in the street & asked her if I could take a full nude photo of her for a texture resource she'd believe me?

It works for me.  Really.

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 9:52 PM

I guess to people who have never done 3D art they just don't get it. My friends don't. They like what I do but couldn't see themselves doing it. There's only you guys I can really talk to about this crazy Poser thing!

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 9:53 PM

Sam- Please tell me your secret!!

Spiritbro77 ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 9:55 PM

Quote - When I first starting exploring AO in Poser I couldn't help but look around at things in real life to see how much AO was visible!

Go to the nearest strip club, ask the girl with the best complexion if she'd be willing to model nude(if she says no go to the next best), settle on a price and Bob's your uncle, you got your texture model. That's the easy part. Lighting her properly would be the tough part IMO.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 9:58 PM

Spiritbro77 - I would need to borrow her for the night, you know how long this texturing lark can take!!

Spiritbro77 ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 10:06 PM

Quote - Spiritbro77 - I would need to borrow her for the night, you know how long this texturing lark can take!!

Well depending on the lady, you might be able to work out a price for that as well. :) You could always try  22 Acacia Avenue :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 10:09 PM

Quote - Sam- Please tell me your secret!!

Piece of cake.  I just ask 'em.  If they want to know more, I show them my work.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:45 AM

file_383718.jpg

Maybe the mods should have some of these for when things get out of hand.

My Store

My Gallery

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:09 AM

surely they must of invented a cream for that inflamation SamTherapy?

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:11 AM

no! they haven't, and don't call me shirley!!

-just making sure you don't use that ol' one-

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:24 AM

I guess the cream's just not as much fun!

vince3 ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 8:15 AM

i heard the cat's actually got the cream, so maybe they had to find an alternative.

Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 1:56 PM

A short quote from Karen:

"Threads are locked when they degenerate so far as to become useless"

How exactly is this thread useful for the Poser community?  Did you mean when they become useless for the moderator?   I think the posts in this thread belong in a chat room or even MSN messenger.  And if you need to let of steam, open a blog site.

If I´m not mistaken this is a POSER forum not a philosophical venue to change the world and the internet is crammed with sites where you can trade cute cat pictures and tell funny stories.  Here it seems pretty USELESS.

I don´t care if you lock this thread or not but consistancy is a virtue

Vestmann's Gallery

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 2:24 PM

OT is a virtue, too.  OT can be the life of a forum.

If you don't like a thread's subject matter, then don't open & peruse the thread.  Even less should one sacrifice the precious personal time needed to post a response to a useless thread.

If some members want to spend the next 50 pages of this thread posting cat pictures & joking with each other: then that's their business.  They aren't hurting anybody.......except perhaps to upset a few forumite purists.

This forum's culture doesn't follow the tastes of people who come in & start making demands.  Regardless of whether the demands are for tighter rules (as some would like to see -- as defined by their tastes, of course) -- or for no rules at all (as some others come in and demand from time to time).

I say what I like -- within the bounds of the TOS.  And other forum members have the privilege to do the same -- within the bounds of the TOS.  Cat pictures and all.

Of course: you can always contact the administration, and request that posting cat pictures be made into a violation of the TOS -- resulting in automatic banning.

But on my part: I suggest more cat pictures be posted to this thread.  Many more.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 2:46 PM

Define useless.

My Store

My Gallery

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 2:58 PM

I think that "useless" -- in this instance --  means "not directly Poser related".  As in: 'anything remotely OT should be illegal'.

If that's true -- then under those rules I suppose that it would still be OK to post cat pictures -- so long as all of the pictures had been rendered in Poser: and included discussions of the lighting, render settings used, etc..

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:03 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:04 PM

Some would like for this forum to have the smoked-filled, dimly-colored-lights atmosphere of a roadside strip bar -- complete with the smell of stale beer & the sound of a pounding jukebox.  While others would like for this forum to have the atmosphere of a graduate-level university physics classroom -- with the lectures all delivered in a pedantic monotone.

It's actually neither.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 3:40 PM

Agreed, Xeno.  In any case, I certainly wouldn't be happy to post here if the whole forum was strictly on topic.

My Store

My Gallery

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 4:00 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 4:00 PM

To me, this forum's culture is more like a cross between an art classroom, a computer training class, and a neighborhood cafe (with other things thrown in for good measure).  It's a place where you can get together with your friends to discuss most anything that you like.......but where a certain amount of courtesy is required to be here.  And it's a place where you don't constantly feel the need to be looking back over your shoulder in order to make certain that no one is coming at you with a knife or a billy club.  Like you do in the so-called "free-fire" forums.

Moderators are -- in some ways -- a lot like the police force in a westernized democracy.  They have to walk a balance line between serving the public & enforcing civil order.  That's not always an easy job -- or a thankful one.

Good mods should be thanked more often for what they do.  They certainly get attacked often enough.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 4:19 PM

I'd still like Vestmann to define "useless", though. :)

My Store

My Gallery

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 4:34 PM
Vestmann ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:02 PM

...ok now, let´s look back a little Xenophonz.  The subject matter of this thread is the closing of another thread because it degenerated into a flamefest.  

I found  that interesting and decided to "open & peruse the thread" and read from Karen, the moderator, that she locked the thread because the posts degenerated into becoming useless.  My point was that this thread has pretty much gone the same way. 

And Sam, I was actually hoping to get definition of useless from Karen but I think it means "not of use to anyone" (scroll 6 pages back and you'll get the idea ;)

Bless bless

Vestmann's Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:08 PM

I know what the dictionary definition is but I fail to see how it applies in this case.  The thread has diverged from its origin but it's still providing a useful purpose or people wouldn't be posting in it.

I could understand your gripe if this whole forum was full of OT posts, or that the thread contributors gave nothing of value to this forum but as it is, I believe your definition of useless and therefore your complaint against this thread are way off the mark.

My Store

My Gallery

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:41 PM

Quote - ...ok now, let´s look back a little Xenophonz.  The subject matter of this thread is the closing of another thread because it degenerated into a flamefest.

And so now this thread has dengenerated into something useful.  Good job, by my lights.

Topic drift does a lot to redeem otherwise sour threads.  Like this one would have become -- if not for the timely intervention of useful cat-picture posters.

I'll fight where I perceive that there's a reason.  But there's absolutely no reason to fight with people who are doing nothing worse than having a good time among themselves.

Quote - I found  that interesting and decided to "open & peruse the thread" and read from Karen, the moderator, that she locked the thread because the posts degenerated into becoming useless.  My point was that this thread has pretty much gone the same way. 

No, this thread hasn't "gone the same way".  The tone of the other thread was 100% negative......and some of us do what we can to oppose negativity -- occasionally by helpfully pointing out the inherent flaws of the negatives.

But of course.......this thread could always swing negative again, if some have a desire to try to steer it that way.  But if they do: they'd best not expect to do so without any resultant discomfort to themselves.

Mods help out by locking threads that have become useless.  And kudos to them for doing their jobs.

Rodma_Hu ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:47 PM

I know I’ve been misunderstood because of the vagueness of my prior contribution. So I’ll clarify.

For me, the essential matter relates not to the “uselessness” or topical nature of this thread, but to the interpretation of the TOS.

I’m actually much more liberal in my approach than demonstrated by the moderation of this forum of late. That is, I have a growing concern regarding the arbitrary nature by which speech is censored and threads are locked. This means I favor peer response to check uncivil behavior rather than outside governance.

As a moderator, Karen’s gracious and congenial nature is well suited to her duties. However, I find her intervention more frequent than necessary. As a result, topics are becoming more generic, utilitarian, and bland – in this case, just plain silly. This may better maintain a corporate decorum desired by Bondware, but some vitality is lost by the artist’s community at large in the exchange.

Thanks for reading. Thanks for sharing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.