Sat, Oct 5, 10:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 9:59 am)

Subject: (OT) Please help me remember the name of a movie!

jwhitham ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:18 PM · edited Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:23 PM

Quote - Master and Commander ain't bad.

Isn't it? On reflection I realise that I liked "The River Rat", but that doesn't really make up for some of the others.

Quote - Acadia, you must face reality:  you are quite possibly the only person in the entire universe who has watched even a nanosecond of this film you mention.   If the studio gets wind of this, you'll be president, treasurer and secretary of the appreciation society.   Look on the bright side:  the secretary's tasks aren't likely to be too onerous.   Better still, drop this line of enquiry.

I do seem to recall though, something with three freckle-faced Californian kids finding a polynesian type boat, in an enchanted cave, lauching just as a tsunami arrived and, having ridden the storm, finding themselves on a beautiful island where... 

Edited to add: Really lost any impact through my session timing out twice, plus one MySQL error.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:43 PM

"BTW, different movies but - has anyone ever realized the similarities between Alien and Reservoir Dogs?"

Sam - What, the Aliens all had nicknames after colours? Sorry, you've got me on this one!

jwhitham ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 7:56 PM

Quote - "BTW, different movies but - has anyone ever realized the similarities between Alien and Reservoir Dogs?"

Sam - What, the Aliens all had nicknames after colours? Sorry, you've got me on this one!

Well I could go out, put some dinner on the stove, go to the loo, take a shower, wash up a dish, serve my dinner, come back in and not have missed an involving moment in either of them. That may just be me though.

Morgano ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:04 PM

Stormchaser (replying to SamTherapy:   *"BTW, different movies but - has anyone ever realized the similarities between Alien and Reservoir Dogs?"

*I can't really comment, having never seen RD, but Alien was the one with all the golf-balls - or was that something to do with the lousy reception on that portable TV?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:06 PM

Nope, yuz are all wrong.  Alien and RD have the same basic plot - Put seven people in a room and kill them one at a time. :)

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

jwhitham ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:10 PM

Quote - Nope, yuz are all wrong.  Alien and RD have the same basic plot - Put seven people in a room and kill them one at a time. :)

Wot, like the Agatha Chrisitie story?

byAnton ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:11 PM

was it "Rescue from Gilligan's Island"?

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

Over 100,000 Downloads....

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:11 PM

"Put seven people in a room and kill them one at a time."

How I've always wanted to do that!

Sam - I like the similarity. I think Michael Madson is scarier than the Alien though!! :scared:

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:15 PM

I'll vote for 'Cheap Made for Television Crap of the Week'

surreality ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:16 PM

Oh mercy... I forgot all about the made for TV ones. That opens up a whole new category of awfulness. Much like the camp horror stuff, those tend to get renamed and sometimes slightly recut and repackaged.

-D
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye texture.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:28 PM

Quote - "Put seven people in a room and kill them one at a time."

How I've always wanted to do that!

Sam - I like the similarity. I think Michael Madson is scarier than the Alien though!! :scared:

Well, I did think of writing a fanfic version, "Reservoir Alien".  Nobody took me seriously, though.  Some people have no vision; they even laughed at my brussels sprout milkshake, too.

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 July 2007 at 8:32 PM

"brussels sprout milkshake"

Strange thing is, I could see some people liking it! :tongue1:

DarthJ ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 1:43 PM

I guess it ain't "Sink the Bismarck !" because that one dates from 1960. 

Wouldn't it be possible that the movie is older than you think ? The 1970s had loads of crappy movies too. And/or a non-USA movie dubbed in English ? 

The only movie I can think of :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061376/

Morgano ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:39 PM · edited Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:40 PM

Creative thinking, jgodeau, but I went back to Acadia's original post and she did mention that it included "one or two well known actors" (as opposed to the "unknown actor" which constantly crops up in Poser 7).

I suggest we need to devise three-actor casts who might have been assembled for this tragically ill-recollected magnum opus.   One such may jog Acadia's memory.

I'll start with Dennis Hopper, Tom Cruise and Barbra Streisand (genre:  horror, obviously).

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 5:55 PM

Nope, not Dennis Hopper, Tom Cruise or Barbara (she needs no last name!!!!)

Though Dennis Hopper was in that crappy Waterworld movie!  And most of what TC has been in has been crappy too.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 6:00 PM

Acadia - Is there a light on the boat, quite bright?

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:15 PM

Not that I can remember.  But as you can see the movie was so memorable that I forgot the name,  LOL

stormchaser ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:19 PM

As with most things, the name will come to you when you're not thinking about it. But you will tell us, won't you?

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 24 July 2007 at 7:30 PM

Absolutely!  :)

DarthJ ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 1:12 AM

quote Morgano :

*I went back to Acadia's original post and she did mention that it included "one or two well known actors"
*You don't call ALAIN DELON and LINO VENTURA well known actors ? Then you know nothing about movies.

Pour les francophones parmi nous : Alain Delon et Lino Ventura ne sont pas de acteurs biens connus selon ce membre de notre communauté.

Morgano ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 1:30 AM

Well, I wasn't intending to insult French-speakers (but I speak French a lot better than you speak English, jgodeau).

Morgano ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 1:35 AM

*Pour les francophones parmi nous : Alain Delon et Lino Ventura ne sont pas de acteurs biens connus selon ce membre de notre communauté.
*"For the grenouille-mangeurs among us:  Alain Delon and Lino Ventura are not "well-known actors", according to this member of our community."

dogor ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 2:33 AM

It couldn't be Blue Lagoon could it? I remember there was this movie about a family that stopped at this island with their boat(suposedly in modern day times back then 80's or late 70's) and ran into a bunch of pirates that were still living like the old time pirates did. The pirates burn their boat and turn their kids into pirates while holding them prisoner or slaves. The son and daughter end up being turned into pirates too and dad and mom have to watch while plotting to escape with the family. I can't remember the name of that Movie but nobodies sold it that I know of. It was a good movie.    

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 3:14 AM

Nope. Not Blue Lagoon, or the sequel.  THB I don't know what happens. I only managed to see about 1 hour or so of it and didn't see the ending. So I don't know if they capsized and were rescued, or if they managed to get to land on their own of if they shipwrecked etc.

I just remember they went out on a pleasure sail and ended up caught in a terrible storm on the ocean, and that they tied themselves to parts of the boat so they wouldn't get swept over board. I remember torrents of rain, and it was very dark and lots of wind noise and one of the guys yelling so the others could hear him. I remember the huge big waves behind the boat and the boat not moving in the same fashion as the waves and what looked like small pails of water being tossed on the actors to mimic waves hitting the boat. It was the waves, the boat movement and the pails of water that made me think how corney the movie was considering the year it had been made.

Dajadues ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 7:30 AM · edited Wed, 25 July 2007 at 7:35 AM

Sounds like it was a very, very low budget type of movie with no famous people in it. There's no way to look up something like that. Could be a knock off of every other shipwreak movie.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 25 July 2007 at 2:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that this film was in the theaters, maybe not for very long, but it was. Heck the low budge Blair Witch Project shows up in movie lists, this one should too. 

It's been so hot here that it's hard to concentrate. It's supposed to cool off in the next couple of days so I'll try looking through the movie lists again.

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:14 PM · edited Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:18 PM

Land that time forgot?

The Devil's Triangle?

Both TV movies from the 70's.

Shogun?

Oh, I know... Towering Inferno.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:17 PM

'help help I'm stuck in this crappy movie!' the Sequal

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:29 PM

Nope. None of those.  

jwhitham ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 6:52 PM

Okay, I think it's either Ingmar Bergman's Höstsonaten or On Golden Pond. What do I win. :)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 9:13 PM

Lair of the White Worm?

Mars Attacks?

Bambi versus Godzilla?

Debbie Does Dallas?

My Store

My Gallery

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 9:19 PM

Quote - Debbie Does Dallas?

Oh man, I'm crying into my coffee, stop it!

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 9:21 PM

Acadia - One of the male actors isn't Ron Jeremy is it? Mind you, you'd never forget the title of the film then would you!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 9:26 PM

Quote - > Quote - Debbie Does Dallas?

Oh man, I'm crying into my coffee, stop it!

Well, I could have said Deep Throat but that's a bit of a mouthful.

My Store

My Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 10:05 PM

Quote - Well, I could have said Deep Throat but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Oh, man.... No, not right after the Ron Jeremy post reference....
my poor brain.... 

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:32 PM

How about "The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!"
That's around 1965, probably too far back, but does fit some of the criteria.  

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

R_Hatch ( ) posted Fri, 27 July 2007 at 11:37 PM

Castaway, perhaps? It was made in the 80s, but it seems like a 90s movie. I haven't seen it in a while, so I forgot most of what happens, especially prior to their getting stranded.

jwhitham ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 3:55 PM

Quote - Well, I could have said Deep Throat but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Reminds me, for some inexplicable reason, of a debate I heard on BBC R4 back in the '90s. Very serious Radio 4 bloke was chairing a discussion with some, equally distinguised, US guests on the upcoming Clinton impeachment hearings:

Radio 4 Bloke: "So what is the US public's attitude toward Ms. Lewinsky?"

Distinguished US journalist: "Whilst there is some sympathy for her as a young woman overawed by such a powerful figure, I think most people feel she should have kept the details to herself."

Radio 4 Bloke: "So most Americans probably think that Monica Lewinsky would have done better if she had kept her mouth shut?"

A long silence followed, punctuated with serveral grunts and snorts from the assembled experts. I nearly crashed my car.

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 3:59 PM

All french people don't eat frogs. I hate frogs! It tastes like cat!

My Store

jwhitham ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 4:07 PM · edited Sat, 28 July 2007 at 4:12 PM

Quote - All french people don't eat frogs. I hate frogs! It tastes like cat!

Not sure whether this is pertinent but, back in my student days, I spent an evening in the kitchens of a cordon bleu restaurant in Honfleur stuffing canned snails into snail shells. As I say, probably irrelevant, but Honfleur is on the coast.

Edited to add: This is the film title thread isn't it?
Re-edited to add: Do I get a content advisory for my last post?

cyberscape ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 4:22 PM

By any chance was it "The Deep" with (I think) William Hurt? This was an early 80's flick so, maybe not?

"I hate frogs! It tastes like cat!"

.........nevermind, I don't wanna know!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

AMD FX-9590 4.7ghz 8-core, 32gb of RAM, Win7 64bit, nVidia GeForce GTX 760

PoserPro2012, Photoshop CS4 and Magix Music Maker

--------------------------------------------------------------

...and when the day is dawning...I have to say goodbye...a last look back into...your broken eyes.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 4:37 PM

Being vegetarian I definitely don't want to know!

vincebagna ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 4:43 PM

Hey, i have 3 cats, and they are all alive (fried but alive...)! :lol:

My Store

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 4:57 PM

Quote - > Quote - Well, I could have said Deep Throat but that's a bit of a mouthful.

Reminds me, for some inexplicable reason, of a debate I heard on BBC R4 back in the '90s. Very serious Radio 4 bloke was chairing a discussion with some, equally distinguised, US guests on the upcoming Clinton impeachment hearings:

Radio 4 Bloke: "So what is the US public's attitude toward Ms. Lewinsky?"

Distinguished US journalist: "Whilst there is some sympathy for her as a young woman overawed by such a powerful figure, I think most people feel she should have kept the details to herself."

Radio 4 Bloke: "So most Americans probably think that Monica Lewinsky would have done better if she had kept her mouth shut?"

A long silence followed, punctuated with serveral grunts and snorts from the assembled experts. I nearly crashed my car.

That's kinda hard to swallow.

My Store

My Gallery

Morgano ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 5:39 PM

True, but not French-speakers are French, either.   And I happen to like eating cats.

jwhitham ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 6:31 PM

Quote - > Quote - I nearly crashed my car.

Mate, have you ever driven an '81 Diesel Astra, nose heavy or what?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 6:51 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I nearly crashed my car.

Mate, have you ever driven an '81 Diesel Astra, nose heavy or what?

:lol:

Well rescued.

My Store

My Gallery

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 8:12 PM

Quote - All french people don't eat frogs. I hate frogs! It tastes like cat!

Kitty folds her arms and peers sternly at Vince! :blink:

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

stormchaser ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 8:21 PM

Vince - You don't want to upset the kitty mate. She'll turn her back on you & make those strange ears.
Well my cats do anyway!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 28 July 2007 at 8:25 PM

According to those who know, cat tastes particularly bad because cats are carnivores.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.