Sun, Oct 6, 5:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Windows Vista and Vue6Inf

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 3:43 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:38 PM

Anyone using Vista with Vue6Inf??

Does it all run ok??

I'm very close to buying my new pc [earlier than anticipated] and I'm looking at Vista Ultimate 64 or XP64.
I'm also thinking of Quad core processor, any one using Vue on one of them?
Any info much appreciated!

TIA!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

iloco ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 6:12 AM

No Visita for me for a long time yet.

thefixer if you can wait couple weeks the Intel Q6600 Quad processors are suppose to drop in price by as much as 100 dollars US.

Keep eye on pricewatch.com and at newegg. :)

I am going to replace my dual with a quad as soon as the prices drop some more. :)

ïÏøçö

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 6:44 AM · edited Mon, 30 July 2007 at 6:47 AM

I got a laptop on sale with Vista Home on it, so I could play around with it and not pollute any of my working systems. At the moment, Vista refuses to allow any installed program to save a file to disk (and yes, I am running in admin mode), and I have yet to find the permissions controls that might be interfering. Vista is pretty, and V6I does run well on it, but keep in mind that Vista can gobble a gig of system ram to run smooth, and it was basically designed to get in the way of the user who might want to change something, so you have a learning curve if you stray from the point and click default way. Put it this way. I'm going to be upgrading soon, and I have an OEM of XP64 waiting to go into an XP/XP64 dual boot.

keenart ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 7:16 AM

Well I have Vista x64 and everything runs smooth, with the exception of Vue Esprit.  Carrara, and half a dozen other 3D apps I have work great.  Memory leaks in Vue.

Dale B,
Sounds like you have an overactive Firewall.  The Allow list may be corrupt. 

jankeen.com

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 7:47 AM

Jan: I'm off down to the shop again this afternoon just to ask a couple of other things I forgot the other day but I'm pretty close on getting this now!

I just had a response from e-on as well and they say there shouldn't be issues as long as I run in Administrator mode!
I also had one back from EF about Poser 7 and that should be ok too!

In your opinion Jan would I be better with Vista or XP 64 bit???

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

iloco ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:00 AM

Not trying to change anyones mind but I am runnning Windows XP Pro 32 bit as my main operating system and will be putting XP Pro 64 bit on a second partation for Vue.  SP 64 bit is about half as much as XP Pro 32 bit at newegg. :)

ïÏøçö

jgmart ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:23 AM

Just to throw my two cents in.... 

I have a custom intel 2.66 dual core with 4gigs of ram, running Vista Home Premium.  I can definitely say Vue6I wants to be run in administrator mode - actually, it's the only mode that will launch the program for me. It's strange because I didn't have to launch as administrator when I first installed Vue (from the cd),  but after one of the upgrades ( I don't remeber which one) I can only access the program as administrator.  Other than that, I haven't had any issues with Vue and Vista.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:23 AM

Iloco: I've specced a new pc with 8 Gig RAM so I hopefully won't have memory issues, so I'm going to need a 64 bit system, I'm just not sure about going to vista or XP at the mo'!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:26 AM

jgmart Running as an aministrator doesn't cause any issues though I take it?

It shouldn't be an issue for me as only "I" will be using this machine, it will be out of bounds to my family, they've been banned since a long time after bringing a worm onto my working machine in the past!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:27 AM

Quote - XP 64 bit is about half as much as XP Pro 32 bit at newegg. :)

That's because what you get is an OEM version (there is no retail version).
Make sure you read up on what this difference means.

jgmart ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 8:48 AM

Running as administator hasn't been a problem  Vue seems to run pretty smoothly for me- I just think it's weird that no other app or program I have on the pc needs to be run in that mode - just Vue6I.  I would never have upgraded to Vista on an existing machine, but having it  on my new pc,  it works pretty well.

keenart ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 11:29 AM

They are talking about the UAC.  Which is one of the Security features of Vista.  Vista is really security conscious, MS wanted to go farther than the DEP, Data Execution Prevention Module, so one of the new features is UAC. 

So what you do to install a program that is not Vista Compatible and Vue is not, is to ignore the Disc Install screen, and Browse the Setup Disc instead.

Find the Vue Setup.EXE file, then right click on the Vue Setup Program and from the Properties Menu click Run as an administrator to Install with Administrators Privilege.

Once the program has installed, then navigate to the Vue 6.exe file that runs the prog, right click on the exe prog and then from the Properties Menu, select the Compatibility Tab.  Under the tab check the following;

Run this program in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP with SP2

Disable Visual Themes

Disable Desktop Composition

Disable Desktop Scaling on high DPI Settings.

Run This Program As an Administrator.

It is very important you check the above, as Vue cannot call the Shell with Aero installed, and so will refuse to open if the above items are left unckecked.  You also recoup vital system resources that Vue can use by doing so, 5 to as much as 20 percent of Ram is returned to the system, with the above features disabled.  If you need to recover more resources, let me know and I can tell you how to recoup another 5 to 15 percent of Ram.  These features are only disabled when Vue is running not at any other time.

With the UAC enabled, after all of the above, you will get flagged with a UAC Control Shadow Screen that wants to Cancel Vue, or Allow it to Run.  You just select Allow to run Vue.

Personally I like Vista, but then I have a lot of OS experience, and so can get around the OS without problems.  However, if concerned, I would go with Windows XP Pro x64 for the current, since Vue is more, but not completely compatible, with this OS.  You can always upgrade to Vista, or try a Dual-Boot later.

The basic problem with Vue is that it is not a true Windows based program, it is a core that calls a Windows Shell, and that is the biggest reason there are so many incompatibilities with the Windows system.   And, the new Visual Studio 2005 API’s that Vue is using.  Vista is still using the Visual Studio 2003 API’s, so go figure???

Another problem you will have with the Vista install is the Video Card Drivers, when using Vue.  Vue seems to balk when you use NVidia drivers older than series 101.  Windows XP typically uses the 97 series drivers, which are more stable when Vue is running.  NVidia has some very new Beta’s for all of these programs if you have to upgrade the drivers.  There are a few other problems you may encounter, but we can discuss them if they occur later.

jgmart

The last Patch for Vue included the API library for the Visual Studio 2005, which was not included with the original install.  This was to stop the Side by Side warnings many of us were having.  It invoked the UAC, realizing that Vue was not a true Windows program.  And any program that UAC sees is not DEP dependent, and Vue is not, it will disallow automatically.  Ergo the Selection Screen to start the app. 

Some will tell you to turn off UAC, I would not, this is a second Firewall, and without UAC Vista is vulnerable to hackers and a lot of new Malware.  Just my opinion.

jankeen.com

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 11:46 AM

keenart: I asked the question in the e-on tech support as the upgrade I'm supposing is costly as you know!
This is their response, pretty much what you said I think!

*Vue should run just fine on that system.  You should have no problems installing Vue.  The most important thing is to run Vue as an administrator.  Right click on the Vue 6 icon and select  Run as an administrator. Or, right click on the Vue icon, select Properties.  Select the Compatibility tab.  Under Privilege Level, select Run the Program as an Administrator.  It will then allow you to enter your registration details and save them.

Continue to run Vue as an admin to avoid rights issues with any directories you may be accessing.*

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

keenart ( ) posted Mon, 30 July 2007 at 12:07 PM

Gwyn,

My info comes from Microsoft, and the techs.  Except for the few additional checks we are in agreement. 

A Worm hey?  I went in so deep, to keep them away from my system, that I built each a system of their own, one for my wife, daughter, and granddaughter.  Now I can compute in peace, except every month when my credit card bill comes in the blood pressure goes up?!

Such a small world!!!

jankeen.com

Arraxxon ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:33 AM · edited Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:34 AM

Why choosing one Operating System ... if you've got plenty of harddisk space for partitioning ...

I always run more than one Windows ... 3 different ones on different partitions - in case there is a problem, i can always start another Windows and can rework the faulty Windows version or partitions from there.

I've got WinXP SP2 twice installed on two different partitions - and one Vista Ultimate on a third partition - installed last in the row, to get the Vista bootmanager to combine all three Windows versions and to choose easy, what i want to start and work with.

This way i can always fall back to the best working system for a certain application or whatever and like mentioned above, i've always got a working system running (sure, only as long your boot partition isn't damaged  ;) , but that can be fixed, too, with a little more work again, as long as nothing else is damaged...).

keenart ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 11:52 AM

Kilanor,

You might be interested in a freeware program called Easy BCD instead of using the MS boot manager. http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 a nice little prog.

jankeen.com

Arraxxon ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 12:25 PM

THX for the tipp, keenart, i will take a closer look, sounds interesting !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.