Sun, Oct 6, 3:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: So Many "Favorites"..

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 5:34 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:20 AM

Not sure if this is the place for this or if it's something to be conserned about, but recently a member who has no gallery and seemingly has never uploaded anything went in and "favorited" about 20-30 of my gallery images.  This same member has done this before.  He/she has something like 120 pages of favorite images!

Technically he/she is doing nothing wrong, but I find it interesting that they are herding so many images without ever once posting a comment. I also find it interesting that this is not the first time.  If they just like my work that much, I'm flattered, but this person seems to like a LOT of people's work--in multitudes.  I've never been one of those MINE, MINE, MINE artists and feel that artwork is nothing if not enjoyed by others, but the volume here has me a little suspicious of this person's intent.  Had thoughts of sending this member a sitemail asking his intentions, but then it sounds so accusataory if it's innocent and I don't want to offend someone for nothing.

Am I the only one who's a little bothered by this or has noticed this happening and wondered what was up?

thefixer ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 6:05 AM

I have a "fan" that favourites every image I ever post, I don't have a problem with that, in fact I'm quite chuffed!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 6:09 AM

I have some of those, too--and I love it!  But those are done one at a time.  What seems odd is when someone comes every  6 weeks or so and tags so many at once; some new, some much older.  Maybe it's nothing.

lemur01 ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2007 at 12:39 PM

I think we would all like to think it'd just nothing... but i also think we have more than a suspicion as to what is probably happening here. But whatever, there's nothing we can prove or even do anything about.

tivao ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2007 at 1:06 PM

I've been looking at that myself Maxine. I got flooded when the 'favorites' started rolling in by the same person and it was very specific to what they were getting. Basically I've just been keeping an eye on it but otherwise take it as a compliment for now.

Fyrene ( ) posted Fri, 03 August 2007 at 2:46 AM

Tubers. Its happened to me too.

jchristenberry ( ) posted Sat, 04 August 2007 at 10:16 AM

I dont have a lot out, and a lot less of what I have out there is any good.  But it is strange when I get favored by someone who posts nothing.  No comments, no images, just an account.  I guess one thing I would like to see is the sight diable right clicking.  This way we can prevent people from taking our images from the site.  Granted I am flattered if anyone would actually want to take my work...but a lot of us are not "technically" copywrited.  Its a risk.

Greybird ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 11:30 PM

Forgive this newcomer to the forums ... but why would someone's adding a host of one's works to his or her Favorites bother anybody? I find that difficult to understand. Most artists, here and elsewhere, are bothered when too few people look at or notice their work.

I have exactly one 2D artwork in my gallery. (I may upload some fiction to Writers, though, in the near future.) I'm limited in how much I can learn about the 3D tools, as I've found out — or even Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro — by time, money, computer capacity, and a lack of experience in creating visuals.

Does all that limit how much I'm "allowed" to appreciate the work of others here? Some are appreciators, at least at present, more than creators. I freely admit that in my "title" over on my page at deviantART.

As for making sudden, multiple additions to Favorites, I can think of only one reason to decry it: when it's done to manipulate the Art Charts rankings.

And I can think of at least one potent reason to do so: creating an easy-to-scan index to what one likes on Renderosity.

Greybird ( ) posted Sun, 05 August 2007 at 11:49 PM

Quote - [...] it is strange when I get favored by someone who posts nothing. No comments, no images, just an account.

Not everyone is adept or self-possessed enough to make comments to complete strangers about their art. It takes practice.

Yes, I know, it sounds strange to say this on the ultra-garrulous Internet, but I've seen reticence — and felt it myself — about making a critique of someone's visual art that isn't felt at all in responding to others' *words.

*Beyond this, very few comments have any content. They're just generalized praise. (Sometimes, clearly, pasted-in standard words of praise.) I don't see the point in even leaving a few words of praise, let alone criticism, without giving some clear example as to why.

Discerning what to comment upon, as well, takes practice. And more than a little courage. If you see many artists who are clearly far more adept, or at least experienced, than you are ... wouldn't you want to be careful in picking on something to praise, lest you be picked on for focusing on what others see as trivial?

Quote - I guess one thing I would like to see is the site disabling right-clicking. This way we can prevent people from taking our images from the site.

The anti-right-click scripts end up simply being an annoyance. They interfere with page navigation, as well. They don't work if JavaScript is turned off. And in some browsers, like Firefox, they don't work even if JavaScript is not turned off.

Besides, anything displayed on a Webpage can be saved from the Page Info dialog box — in Firefox, under the "Media" tab. As with much else, it just takes a little bit of investigating your browser's capabilities.

I can see how huge scans, thousands of pixels on a side, would be of some concern as to having others save them. But not the under-600-pixels-wide display versions. As I see it, those generally lose so much of the detail, as it is, that anyone who fears their being copied is upset about sharing his or work as such. If that is true, I have to wonder why they're taking part here at all, frankly.

jchristenberry ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 12:45 AM

You make some very valid points that I didnt really think about.  I guess as a "poster" to the site, I am on occasion a little sceptical on the purpose of those who do not post.  But its simply due to my intentions on this site versus say, yours.  I mysel appreciate the fact that (if it is like you say) when you post, its with a purpose.  Rather than the usual copy paste responses.  Does this mean I trust  you more or less than anyone else...no...but that is an issue that I have to deal with on my own.  But again, some very nice points.

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 4:02 AM

Yes, you do make some interesting points.  I know several members who come here only to appreciate the artwork; in fact I was one of them several years ago.  I can tell you that I am always flattered when someone adds one of my images to their favorites.  Further, I have always been one of those artists who never understood why some are so enfuriated when someone likes their art enough to, say, snag one here and there and use it on their website or even to "tube" an image here and there.  What good is art if you don't let anyone enjoy it?  That being said, I also know that company representatives do come and browse these galleries.  Sometimes they even contact the artist to purchase high-resolution copies for various uses.  Then again, I am not naieve enough to not realize the amount of artwork that is used by those less honest and sold as tube sets, CD collections and a multitude of other things.  While there certainly is nothng wrong (at least in my mind) with someone making multiple favorites or even snagging something here or there for personal enjoyment, when the same person comes around every few months and tags 20-40 images at a time I find it rather unusual and it does raise an eyebrow .

vince3 ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 10:35 AM

i know the member you are refering to here yukon, and i have the same suspicions as you on this too, initially the favouriting seems like a compliment as someone likes every image you have put up here, but by the time i read my e-bots saying all my images had been favourited, when i then linked back to see this members page, they had gone through another 20 or so "artists" galleries and favourited all their images aswell, so how much of a compliment does that end up being?

facts is facts, people do come here to steal images and upload them on image sharing sites or snagger boards, tube sites, because i have seen them, myself and others i know ,have had their images (which are only hosted here) taken and put up elsewhere, I or they didn't upload it anywhere else, so therefore it was stolen (snagged) from here, sometimes the snaggers even erase your name/ sig and claim the image has been done by them!! others have become flashing (annoying really) .gifs and others become tubes.

so you would have to conclude that some of the members here, are solely here to steal from others and nothing else, it would be a lot quicker for a "fan" that wants to favourite all your images to just favourite you (one click, as oppossed to 70 or so clicks)

keep in mind thoughthat there are many members here that are active in the forums, but not in the galleries, but they do visit the galleries and favourite stuff, but not on the scale we are talking about here.

having said all that, there is not much that Rendo' can do to help on this matter though, they will assist you if you find a copyright violation and/or can prove that a particular member is the culprit, even though they are not compelled to, and they will advise you on how you can protect yourself, with links if nessersary. but it really comes down to "artists" protecting themselves!

if you decide to keep uploading here then, i would advise that you:

Watermark your image (writing your watermark across the figure will deter tubers)

write the URL to your gallery/image on your image (it has been known for people to report back to you that they have found your image being hosted elsewhere)

keep your images small and at 72dpi (that way prints can't be made out of them)

anyway i don't think you can do much about it, other than make it harder work for them to steal from you.

VelvetMoxie ( ) posted Mon, 06 August 2007 at 10:45 AM

All good points, I'm afraid, but I guess it's something I'll have to put up with.  I've seen the images that have the watermarks through the picture and in my mind it spoils the image entirely.  Posting such a low dpi picture has the same effect.  Why spend hours creating an image then spoiling the whole thing for those who are NOT dishonest to keep those who are in check?  Often this is the only place I post these images--I want to be proud of my work and look back on improvements I've made in time--if I'm going to spoil them, then why make them at all?  It's a shame people have to be like this--when all they really needed to do was ask and within reason I would let them use the image legally.  Such is life on the internet, I guess!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.