Fri, Oct 4, 10:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Poser 6 "unable to load textures... not enough memory"!

DocMatter ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2007 at 10:18 PM · edited Fri, 06 September 2024 at 4:55 PM

This started happening recently when I was trying to render a scene with 2 V3's and an M3 fully clothes  with props, etc.....  At first, my computer would hang at rendering.  It would just sit there at the 'rendering' stage forever until I had to shut it down with the Task manager.  At the time, I thought it was because my scene was too complex (although I've done more complex scenes before with no problems.) 
But now, I'm trying a simple scene with no figures yet... just a room with some furniture (the whole pz3 file is about 13 MB.)  And now its giving me the above 'not enough memory' message after trying to load a little 450 kb texture to a background! 
I have a Pentium 4 processor (around 1.8 GHz) and 2 GB of RAM.  I also have all the P6 service releases.  Would reinstalling Poser help?
Thanks!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2007 at 10:21 PM

I'm not sure if reinstalling would help. With couple of figures and some props, I've run out of ram before, on my 2 gig of memory machine. Especially if the figures have high resolution maps.
Your graphics card memory may have something to do with it too.
Poser 6 in my case.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

BeyondVR ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 12:54 AM

I don't have any further suggestions past what Conniekat8 said, but just a note.  Your "little" 450kb texture will not seem so little to P6.  The JPG size makes no difference except how much space it takes up on your HD.  In Poser it will take up as much memory as a BMP.  A 3000x3000 texture will take about 25.7mb, etc.

John

templargfx ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 1:43 AM

whatever format your textures are in, Poser will uncompress them to a raw data format and store it in memory. Having a texture as a JPG only reduces the size of the download, and actually reduces the quality of the texture (thats why most textures arent JPG format)

if you have practically nothing loaded into poser, and your still getting this problem, try starting the render with Task Manager open, then watch the amount of memory Poser eats up. also keep an eye on the "Commit/Charge" at the bottom of the Task Manager. if the left number gets too close (or above!!!) the second number, poser is not your only problem!

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

onnetz ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 2:14 AM

Poser should ship with taskmanager.. lol
I use it for poser more than any other progam I have. 

In your case one thing that might be happening is poser is hung up on a reference to some file. 

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 5:19 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Something I've done with some success is changing the format for the texture image. I get this error alot if the texture was a .bmp or a .gif file. I resave them as a .jpg. Be sure to either delete the original for edit the prop file( or whatever) to look for the new format.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 5:32 PM

Poser 6 sucks. I have 2 gigs of RAM and it still happens. Turn off external PMDs, install the latest service packs. That will help some. I usually set up my entire scene in Poser 6 and then render it in Poser 7, which does not have that problem. Other people render in Vue and Carrara.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 5:59 PM

Yeah, there's a lot more stuff that can be rendered in Vue or cararra, or even Bryce!
For that same memory management thing I often render in other applications.

Morgano ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 6:40 PM

Actually, importing into Vue or Carrara can bring its own set of problems.   Import from Poser 7 to Carrara isn't possible;  it has to go via Poser 5/6.   And... Carrara won't recognise much that comes out of the Poser Materials Room.  

Vue 6 can import Poser 7 material quite accurately, but swallows up immense amounts of memory in the process.   I gather that systems with the ability genuinely to exploit 64-bit addressing cope very well.    A 64-bit operating system, with 4Gb+ of memory to play with, may handle Poser imports comfortably.   A 32-bit OS, with 2Gb of memory,  which is what I currently use, definitely does not handle Poser-to-Vue imports very satisfactorily at all.     The issue with Poser-to-Vue isn't so much at render-time, but at import-time.   I do like the results of the Vue render engine.   

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 6:44 PM

I never took this warning seriously.  For me it was always that I'd moved or deleted something.  True, poser will ask for textures, but I've found that once it asks for about 4 or 5 different textures from different locations that warning usually pops up.  I just ignore it and after the scene has finished loading I then go into the mat room and reload textures manaully, or select either "reload textures" or "render", both of which will sometimes begin the process of looking for textures again from where it stopped.  Once I get a render without the warning, it's time to resave.

replicand ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 11:20 PM

I second BeyondVR. Unless you plan to render at film res, the native size of DAZ textures excels at crashing apps, especially since there are 36 copies - not instances - of extremely large texture maps. Though opinions vary, I've gotten great results resizing to 512 pixels square.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2007 at 11:37 PM

Yeah, there's no huge need for a 3000x3000 texture of a face, if the rendered face will end up being about 300x300 pixels in size on a final image!!!

ashley9803 ( ) posted Tue, 21 August 2007 at 3:39 AM

The pz3 size is quite small, but not an indication of the problem
I'd be looking at my render settings, ie. max texture size, samples etc.
I'd also completely turn off my pc and restart afresh before trying to render again.
The sad thing is that having a large texture size setting really makes a big difference to the quality of a render (in close-ups), but chews up your RAM.
I actually love P6 - miles better than P5 and far less buggy than P7.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.