Sat, Sep 21, 10:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:01 am)

Subject: OT Leaving Poser...FOREVER!!!!

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 3:56 AM

Quote - Again, missing the point.

You don't like being corrected, do you.

My Freebies

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:10 AM

In Modo, vertex maps is a category that includes several subcategories, one of which is morphs. Modo is identical to Lightwave in this respect, except that Lightwave calls morphs “endomorphs.”

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

devilsreject ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:17 AM

Leave it to Lightwave to overcomplicate a workflow.

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:23 AM

Leave it to Lightwave to overcomplicate a workflow. By categorizing morphs as vertex maps? Not terribly complicated in my book.

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

devilsreject ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:27 AM

Quote - By categorizing morphs as vertex maps? Not terribly complicated in my book.

Not complicated, just unorthodox in my book.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:44 AM

I don't mind being corrected.

Paloth, not to surprising with Lightwave and Modo made by some of the same programers.

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 4:51 AM

Paloth, not to surprising with Lightwave and Modo made by some of the same programmers. Yeah. I'm not sure whether Modo is the easiest to learn modeler ever created or if it's just the similarity to Lightwave that made it second nature.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 5:05 AM

I'm finding it fairy easy to learn, a lot of it to learn, which seems to be the volume of what it does to be more the learning curve than how hard it is to understand. I can't remember having as much fun learning a new software as much as I have had with Modo.

JenX ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 5:37 AM

Quote -  

Modo is a wicked modeler and has a automatic Mapper that rocks.

I would buy Modo just for the Mapper alone.

Would be nothing to model, map a girl in Modo.

Throw the mesh in a app that has automatic rigs and the basic mesh is done.

Slap some dynamic hair and a dynamic dress on her bang it's done 8 hours easy, seriously.

....IIRC, um, the big deal made over at DAZ with Modo was...uh, wasn't V4 modelled in Modo?  Because, I think that's what the hype was all about with Modo.  Not to add to an argument that has me, again, rolling my eyes. 

Every time this argument comes up, I'm reminded of art teams at the big studios.  Modellers do their things, riggers do theirs, texture artists do theirs, lighting artists do theirs, animators do theirs and renderers do theirs.
Rarely, if ever, is ANYONE on the team more than one type of artist for the project.  So, why is it SUCH a stigma for Poser users to not have modelled, textured, or lit what they're creating as artwork? 
These "mine's bigger than yours" contests with software are absolutely ridiculous.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Paloth ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 6:25 AM

....IIRC, um, the big deal made over at DAZ with Modo was...uh, wasn't V4 modeled in Modo? Because, I think that's what the hype was all about with Modo. Not to add to an argument that has me, again, rolling my eyes. I'm not sure what excited them over at Daz, but Pixar uses Modo for character modeling, which is more significant than V4's origin, in my opinion. Plus you can uv map, 3d paint, design buildings, interiors or just about anything. It's really good--when it doesn't crash. Hopefully the next version will be more stable.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote -
....IIRC, um, the big deal made over at DAZ with Modo was...uh, wasn't V4 modelled in Modo? 

Modo is one of the tools used on V4; nowhere near all of them, though - not even the only Modeler - since more than one person worked w/ it.  Some folks there love it (I know of at least two who would have sex with a rabid wolverine before they gave up Modo), while others have their own prefs.

Quote - Rarely, if ever, is ANYONE on the team more than one type of artist for the project.  So, why is it SUCH a stigma for Poser users to not have modelled, textured, or lit what they're creating as artwork? 

I think the big stink in some cases has to do with what's being passed off, skill-wise. Posting a Poser mesh render in CGTalk w/o specifying that you're only working on lights, animation, or etc. skills tends to lead people on.

/P

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 11:07 AM · edited Fri, 07 September 2007 at 11:09 AM

Modo is an app about which I've heard almost nothing but good things coming from its users -- including new users.  The issue which Paloth has mentioned concerning crashes is the first negative that I've heard, anywhere.

I can count on less than one hand the apps that I've seen get talked about by 95%(?) of the users in such a positive way over the years.  Modo gets high praise for its intuitive nature, and for its excellent UV capabilities.  I've heard several Maya / Max users comment on the fact that they've come to use Modo as their "go-to" first modeler of choice.  And in my book, that's saying something.

There might have been some "hype" going on with the recent DAZ deal for Modo (a deal which I took advantage of).  But it's been one of the few "hype campaigns" where the end users -- after actually trying Modo -- have ended up agreeing with the hype.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

RorrKonn ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2007 at 11:09 AM

JenX

I was just talking, not ragging Poser.

I'm a Poser user my self.

So why would I rag Poser artist.

RorrKonn
http://www.Atomic-3D.com 

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2007 at 12:10 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_387334.jpg

Hi Everyone

If we could hire a programmer to develope custom 3d apps like ILM or Dreamworks do,  poser would still hold the base position in the pipeline.  It's from the base that mesh, textures and procedurals,  rigging and animaton,  lighting and cinemagraphics are visualized and refined.  In this function,  even given it's limitations,  Poser is a very powerful tool.

As an example,  here's Jane with just basic Poser rigging;  no bulges,  scaling,  magnets, or JCM's.  After each phase in the modeling of Jane,  we rigged her in Poser to verify and correct mesh deformation.   The purpose this serves is to reduce the number of corrective morphs by refining the mesh with spiral edgeloops.  The reasons Poser is used is time and organization.  For us rigging in Poser is quicker and provides us with a solid base outline from which to expand.

As for the figure creation process,  the director's cut of the "Hulk" and "The Mummy",  hold a wealth of information.

Cheers
Patorak 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.