Sat, Sep 21, 11:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Surreality's products and DS?

SQ ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2007 at 1:02 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 11:44 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with Surreality's products in DS? She (I think she's a she?) has got some awesome stuff up for sale, but I don't use Poser at all.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2007 at 4:15 PM

Surreality's work relies heavily on the Material room for the look.  So, while the texture map may end up in the right spot, the material settings are mostly unreadable in D|S.  Meaning, D|S will ignore most of the settings.  If you do end up buying any of Surreality's, it will look vastly different in D|S than it does in Poser.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Fussel2107 ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2007 at 9:36 AM

Means, it doesn´t work g
sadly enough, because I really like her (?) works, but half of the stuff you cannot even use and the rest (except the texture) looks different, or works only half of the time.

SQ ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2007 at 12:30 PM

That sucks :(

Oh well, thank you both for replying :) Guess I'll just have to stick to drooling over the promos...

Fisty ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2007 at 8:50 PM

It is possible to get similar looks to her promos in D|S but it takes a lot of fiddling and a very good understanding of the surface tab.  It's by no means plug and play like it is in Poser.

surreality ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2007 at 4:44 AM

Just now spotted this -- first off, thank you. I am intensely flattered. sheepish smile Second... Fisty is exactly right. And, yep, I'm a she. grin I am hopeless in D|S. The surface tab may as well be written in ancient Chinese to me, unfortunately. If ever I do unravel its wily mysteries, I can try to set some of these up for D|S, but I can't promise that can happen for some due to some of the features I use in Poser that aren't yet available for D|S. I'll definitely let you know if and when that happens! I'd like to make some things compatible if and when I can -- I mean, hey, more sales aren't a bad thing, right? Most of the hair works with blender nodes to get the splicing in of the ribbons or petals or lace, for example -- and while I think that may be possible with PWEffect, I haven't had the chance to really dig in and check that out yet. The characters? There's maybe a little more hope for them, but unfortunately that relies on getting some of that free time stuff... and I'm starting to believe that's mythical these days. My non-3d work is seasonal, and I'm in the thick of it at the moment, so it'll likely be early December before I can dig into D|S and its plugins to check around and see if I can make things work properly and look good. (And I am more than open to advice from the more clueful folks on this. I really am completely hopeless in D|S, even though I started out with it.)

-D
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye texture.

Fisty ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2007 at 8:49 AM

Second post on page 2 here:
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=967361#967361

I used Surreality's  Kezra in D|S.  The male I used different eyes on.  They all use just the regular surface tab but I did make quite a few adjustments.  (mostly specular and ambient)  All the ones that are different base texture maps work out of the box save for the specular and ambient adjustments, it's the ones that use alternate diffuse to add another pattern on top of the base texture that don't work from the library...  You can get very similar results plugging those alternate diffuse jpg's into the diffuse strength channel but you have to do in manually.

Interesting thing I found doing my last project...  using a texture map in the diffuse strength channel in D|S to add an extra pattern worked great, as expected.  I could export it out as a Poser matpose and it plugged it right in in Poser and worked the same..  however, trying to use that Poser matpose in D|S it didn't plug that jpg in even though it has the ablility to do so. 

So.. even if you just use things in Poser that D|S is quite capable of doing you still need to make D|S format matposes so it'll read everything you want it to...  kind of annoying.

Fisty ( ) posted Tue, 18 September 2007 at 8:52 AM

Oh...  I didn't bother adjusting the bump map in those pics I linked 'cause they're going to be printed 1 inch square so no point...  for good quality close up's you need to adjust the bump as well.

Fussel2107 ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2007 at 7:37 AM · edited Thu, 04 October 2007 at 7:45 AM

Ok, after reading this thread, I decided to give it another try and have fun with Daz´ surface tab.
Wonderful, is all I can say.
You can do so much bump and displacement, opacity and diffue maps. It´s fabulous.
I´m working on a pic right now and will post the result when I´m done.

So, honestly, you most likely wnt get the results you see in the promos with Daz, but you will get a whole variety of interesting possibilities.... if you know how to deal with the surface tab and got a hell lot of time

Fisty ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2007 at 2:46 PM

I have made D|S matposes for Lady Jane, you will need to contact Surreality to get them for copywrite reasons (we had to make a few extra jpg's to get the same effects to work in D|S.)

I am working on her next character now so that will come with a set of basic D|S mats that will look nice out of the box, and a set of PW Surface mats that will have the same special effects that the normal surface tab can't handle without 20 extra jpgs.

I will try to tackle Kezra after that...  she'll be more difficult, I think, to get the exact same functionality.

surreality ( ) posted Thu, 04 October 2007 at 2:54 PM

peeks in Fisty is exactly right, again. grin Fisty is also a saint in my book. I am hoping to update Lady Jane at a future time to include the D|S files directly, but can't do so immediately (and will have to wrestle out a way to do so in general). If you purchase the character and have need of them, please drop me a line via sitemail, and I'll see about getting them to you ASAP.

-D
---
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye texture.

Fussel2107 ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2007 at 2:55 PM

COOL!

hehe, althouth I finally got them to work in D/S and got really cool results g

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.