Sun, Oct 6, 11:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: My NEW Computer!!!!

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:11 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 11:23 AM

I just got back from ordering my new computer. And paying for it (ouch!!) . 

Thanks to everyone who read and commented on the specs I posted. 
And tons of huggles to operaguy for reccomending I go to PCClub :wub:
(Mike at PCClub was a HUGE help putting this puppy together)

Everything I wanted had to be special ordered. Once the stuff is in and assembled, I take my old computer in and they will yank out my C drive and install it into the new computer. So I won't have to reinstall my programs or lose my saved email! It will also save me weeks of data transfer work.

MY NEW SYSTEM (As shown on the order form):
M/B ASUS S775 X38 DDR3 P5E3 Deluxe ATX
CPU, INTEL S775 C2Q QX6850 3.0G 1333 RTL
MEM OCZ DDR2-667 4GT KIT XTC OCZ2VU6674GK
PNY VCQFX3450-PCIE-PB QUADRO FX3450 PCIE
MS WINDOWS XP PRO 64 BIT W/CD & MED SP2C DSP
SNDCRD, CREATIVE 70SB079000000 X-FI AUDIO
LITEON 20X DBL LYR DVD +/-RW W/LS RTL
PS, TT TOUGH MODULAR 850W SLI W0131RU
HDD WD 1TB 7200 RPM 16M SATA2 WD10EACS ( 2 of these with RAID mirror done)
CASE TT NO PS ARMOR W/WIN BK VA8000BWS

I got only the 2 hard drives for my data (mirrored so I have a back up) due to budget constraints. The case had 9 slots for hard drives so I can add more.  The video card is suppose to be specifically designed for CAD work. 

total cost is inclusive of parts, labor,sales tax, and putting my current C drive into the new computer.               $5189.44

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:19 PM

@#$%...if $5,189 is a constrained budget, I'd love to see what you could do with 'real' money..;)
Last one I built (well, yeah, I cheated some) was $700..;)
(sorry, I've seen file servers that cost less..;)  But it sounds like it will rock your world.

Congrats, now you can have loads of Vickies and Mikes cavorting across the screen...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

vincebagna ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:29 PM

Congrats! And enjoy your new beast!

My Store

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:30 PM · edited Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:34 PM

C drive and install it into the new computer. So I won't have to reinstall my programs or lose my saved email! 

Well that IMHO is realy realy REALY not a good idea...
Install a new HD with a new version of XP etc.. and give the system a fresh start.
installing a old HD into a new system is asking for troubles.
Windows DONT like it and wont work 100% ..

You got to do what you got to do but $5000 on a new system and then istalling the old C:
Is like getting a ferrari but put your old 1.2L motor in it.

Installing the C: as a extra drive and transfer runtimes etc etc to the new poser etc etc is a better way to work
Even better is taking the time to install ALL new ... cleaning up half working programs later will take more of your time ...

But the new PC looks SWEET ! and fast ..

Chris

EDIT im not attacking you!! im just happy for yah having such a fine system that i like to warn you about installing a old C: incl windows to it...

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:35 PM

:envy:

:biggrin:

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

ghelmer ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 4:59 PM · edited Fri, 19 October 2007 at 5:02 PM

drool

🤤

Dang!!  That pc is gonna ROCK LARGE!!!

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 5:01 PM

pakled, I found a really good computer for about $12,000 online :) It had every whistle, bell, and upgrade in the world. (Cost before tax, shipping, data transfer, etc. )

BAR-CODE, I didn't see an attack and I will ask the computer people about this when I take my computer in. My main concern was that if I didn't install my old hard drive I would lose alot of really important stuff from my email folder. And I would lose my FONTS!! Not to mention the huge data transfer issue.
The last time I got a new computer I paid over $500 for the data transfer of 80GB. The guy used Linux (?) for the transfer and kept my computer for over a week.It took me several months to get the new one straightened out. And then there was the work of locating and reinstalling 2000 fonts. 2000 fonts that needed to be downloaded separately, run thru the anti-virus, and installed ONE AT AT TIME.  You have NO idea the lengths I will go to to avoid that again :)

Neuer_Versuch ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 5:07 PM

4000$ too much  !!

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 5:33 PM

And then there was the work of locating and reinstalling 2000 fonts

Installing ... i have my 3000+ fonst ona DVD.. just like that no installing needed
And when i refresh "reinstall" my windows i just COPY from the DVD to the FONTS map and  done...
No need to install it over and over .. just take in fonts and Write them to CD/DVD... easy does it.
So be carefull who you let do the work.. Shop people "people who make money from transfering stuff" usualy take the long route to do it.. i know i was one :lol:

Chris 

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 6:41 PM · edited Fri, 19 October 2007 at 6:42 PM

I agree with barcode 1000%, yes install a new system drive and perform an ultra-clean install of the OS.

Install the old drive in there just long enough to move everything to new c: and make sure everything is working fine from new sys drive, then throughly wipe clean old drive.

It does seem like the total cost is pretty high, I thought we were around $3000 in that other thread.

::::: Opera :::::

edited to say that two terrabyte drives in RAID, that probably contributed to the bottom line.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:12 PM

*Install the old drive in there just long enough to move everything to new c: and make sure everything is working fine from new sys drive, then throughly wipe clean old drive.

*That sounds like a good idea to me. 

Bar-Code, my current computer doesn't have a burner of any sort. 

And the cost was so high because the video card cost $768.00, the 2 Seagate Barracuda hard drives were 459.99 each, and 8 GB of RAM(2 kits) was about $400.00, the sound card was about $100.00, Windows XP pro $149.99, motherboard $355.00, labor. It all adds up. Butif I did it right, I shouldn't need a new one for years.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:21 PM

Quote - CPU, INTEL S775 C2Q QX6850 3.0G 1333 RTL (...)
$5189.44

Yes.  Now you are Über.  Now everyone will fear you.

My Freebies

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:25 PM

Way Über!

Enjoy to fullest.

:: og ::

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:33 PM
Online Now!

holy wah !!!

am I jealous ... not really, cause I can never afford a system that costs that much. Its in a different world from where I live. 

But kudos to you for acquiring such a cadillac. Enjoy the ride :)

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

1358 ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:33 PM

old fart time:  "5 Grand?  Hell, I remember when an new Amiga 2000 cost that much, with a colour monitor too... yesirree Bob, powerful it was, ran at a screaming 7.14 Mhz....  had a huge 20 Mb Hard Drive to boot.... yep, them were the days!"

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:38 PM

April 1984, Mac 128K RAM, 9" monochrome screen, no hard drive, no second floppy drive, only software MacWrite and MacPaint, dot matrix printer (Imagewriter).

$3125.00

I was so friggin' excited.

::::: Opera :::::

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:49 PM · edited Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:50 PM
Online Now!

I actually bought a Gateway with a 486 ... I think 128meg ram or something like that..$4000. Bought on installments..took me 3 years to pay off. It was really obsolete by the time it was paid off. Probably cost me $6000 by the time I was done.

I still have it too :)  Not being used though for many years. It cost so much I may never get rid of it...the tower is huge..makes a nice shelf

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:50 PM

Dave-So, I've been saving for several years for this day. Think of it as my mid-life crisis red convertible. Without out the Playboy Bunny in the front seat of course. (Or would a NVIATWAS be considered a reasonable substiture?).

Just for the heck of it, try optioning this little gem to make a good Poser computer. My selections had it costing $7890.00!

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=75

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 8:57 PM
Online Now!

quite a rig...I hear ya, believe me :)
Maybe someday I can do the big banger again.

Quote - Dave-So, I've been saving for several years for this day. Think of it as my mid-life crisis red convertible. Without out the Playboy Bunny in the front seat of course. (Or would a NVIATWAS be considered a reasonable substiture?).

Just for the heck of it, try optioning this little gem to make a good Poser computer. My selections had it costing $7890.00!

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=75

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 19 October 2007 at 11:52 PM

All of that and no DVD burner!  It's a WOW system, but you should get every bang for the buck.  The Quadro is overboard unless you are doing pay-for 3D video (or in a studio).  But, hey, if you have the budget - splurge! ;)

(FYI: You can get a 20x+ DVD burner Dual-layer for $50)

Finally, I'll back up barcode and operaguy - ditch the old OS install and start anew.  There is a word for the clutter that accumulates in an OS - munge.  The Registry becomes full of useless tidbits that may give you nice errors in the Administrator Events, software can't be installed from "Add or Remove Programs", any number of quirks creep in.  Fonts are easy.  Outlook's email database and contacts are a pain.  If you are sticking with the same version,  you can move the old files over and point Outlook to them - but still a pain.

Now go kick ass!

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

gammaRascal ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 12:10 AM

Ya definitely use a brand new drive for your main, dont frankenstein your old one as your primary. Also I would probably add that you get a third drive since the two you got are huge, thats allot of wasted space for a primary drive. If you store lots of files or render to disk, you should be storing and rendering to seperate drive anyways. I'd use those two 1tb drive as storage and get a 550 or 750 gig for the primary. 

But, wow, they saw you coming.

Mobo, $250
QX6850 - $1030.
OCZ ram $185.
GPU $720
xp pro 64 $140
X-fi $70
dvd/cd $50
PSU $220
WD $300 x2
case $150

total $3415

And that's newegg as of tonight and prices rounded up. You could have ordered it, had it shipped in three days and paid the neighborhood kid $100 to put it together.

But still. Good rig. I built one around the same Kentsfield cpu and added a core 2 duo 2.16ghz laptop and I only paid $3800 total.

It does pay to shop around.

coldrake ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 1:44 AM

If you want to transfer data from your old drive to a new one, pick up PC Relocater (about $40). Connect the cable, install the software, tell it what you want to transfer, then click the button and go have a nice dinner while it does all the work. I used it to transfer 30 gig of stuff from my old PC to my new one and it was a breeze. Coldrake

Porthos ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 4:40 AM · edited Sat, 20 October 2007 at 4:44 AM

I bought mine in January this year, a Dell XPS 700 series with extras, and it cost €2,048 Euros, approx $2,900 USD, and I thought that was expensive! :)

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 12.0GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770

PoserPro 2012 (SR1) - Units: Metres , Corel PSP X4 and PSE 9

dlfurman ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 1:41 PM

Heh.

I just spent $49.98 to get 1GB Ram for my AMD 64 1800+
I now have 1.5 GB Ram.

WOOT!

BTW, SoCalRoberta you live where? :)

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Plutom ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 4:35 PM

Sniffle, sniffle,  the only RAM my motherboard takes are PC 600 or PC800's-an Intel (Lexington 2 motherboard).  The cost is around $300 for a 512MB RAM kit ( two crummy 256MB RAM chips).  So to get more RAM is a new motherboard, a power supply that is not 250 Watts etc and I'm not a do-it-yourself-installer (too many little pins on the CPU and it only takes one fold over and the CPU is hosed, or smash the power supply on the motherboard or not get the CPU heatsink properly coated with heat transfer paste and seated properly on the CPU etc.

By the way, it appears that you bought yourself a coprocessor video card and not an accelerator type.  Your co processor card is designed specifically for CAD, 3D studio, Maya etc-it allows your main CPU to do other things and not share its time with graphics.  

I certainly would be interested in how it functions with all your software 3D programs.  Plutom

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 6:07 PM

coldrake, how long did PCRelocator take to transfer the date? Right now I have about 150 GB to do.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 6:29 PM

Plutom:  Modern PC hardware is getting simpler and simpler to assemble.  Current processors don't even have pins any more, it's pretty much impossible to bend a pin now.  The processor has a flat contact area, and the pins are on the motherboard inside a protective enclosure.  It's even keyed so you can't put the chip in the wrong way.  This is what the bottom of the chip looks like:

My Freebies

coldrake ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 6:36 PM

SoCalRoberta, it's been a couple of years so I really don't remember. I'm thinking maybe about an hour and a half, maybe 2 hours? I really can't be sure. If I were you, I'd set it to run overnight. I remember how much it would have cost to have someone do it, (and I really didn't feel comfortable having some stranger having access to all my files,) and how many CD's it would have taken. Scary! I knew there had to be an easier way so I went to Best Buy and found PC Relocator. It really is extremely easy to use. It will transfer files, your browser, (including your browser settings and email), fonts, even your Windows settings, pretty much anything you want. I went from '98 to XP and it felt like I never left home! ;) It was a real lifesaver. Good luck with your new computer! Coldrake

Plutom ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2007 at 7:11 PM

Pjz, I'm living in the dark ages.  Back in 85, I had to make several memory board which meant inserting the chips onto a blank board and soldering each pin to the lan.  "Fold overs" were a constant threat and it took only one pin of one chip to render the board unusable.  I was lucky, all mine were good- but back then I had 20,20 vision-now I have two types of glasses, one pair for computer display work and the other for reading books and driving.  Crap, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry.  Plutom

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sun, 28 October 2007 at 8:05 PM

It was all special order stuff. Well, it came in, so I took in my old computer so that they could yank out the C drive and install it as a 2ndary storage drive (See I listened to you guys!)

I got the rig back last night and have been up since then moving data and reinstalling programs. I was able to get all of my favorite links off of the old drive. I have only a few things left to do now.

Good thing about new computer

1. It took less than 3 hours to migrate my 120 GB of Poser content from the old drive to the new C drive.
  2. Custom builds do not come with all of those preloaded garbage programs
  3. LOTS of power, lots of speed, lots of glowy blue neon on the case (they had to make it with a gaming case)
  4. 6 empty hard drive slots for future additions
  5. I deleted alot of junk off my old drive. It's empty now. 
  6. I  cut down to a clean install of Poser 7 only.

Bad thing about new computer

1. no junk progams means you have to buy stuff. Like a PDF reader.
  2. Norton AntiVirus is not compatible. I found this out after I bought Norton 2008 Internet Security and tried to install it. (non-returnable after being opened per store policy). You should have seen me rushing to PC World reviews to pick a another system. I ended up with Kasperskyfor the anit-virus, spam blocker, firewall, and whatever else was in the package.
  1. PaintShop Pro is incompatible with a 64 bit system :(
    I've lost my very favoritest 2D program!! So I've had to bit the bullet and order PSP12. And I am being forced to learn Photoshop.
  2. I have no idea how to set up Outlook. thank heavens I can access e-mail from Earthlink.(I am SO glad I got that account!). So I have to see if my neighbor will let me look at her POP setting (we have the same server).
  3. This monster must weigh 50 pounds! And I had to get it into the house by myself. It's 21 inches high,22 inches deep, and 9 inches wide.

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Sun, 28 October 2007 at 11:22 PM

Roberta, Simply search your old drive for this file: outlook.pst or any *.pst file for that matter. All of your outlook emails and notes and everything SHOULD be in the outlook.pst file. Back that puppy up and when you reinstall Outlook to the new machine simply go to file>Import>pst and import all your old outlook data into the new outlook.

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 28 October 2007 at 11:32 PM

Quote -
total cost is inclusive of parts, labor,sales tax, and putting my current C drive into the new computer.               $5189.44

Wow! You bought the Porsch of computers!  Nice :)  Enjoy it and happy rendering :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 10:51 AM

MatrixWorkz, I tired that search. Nothing found.
At least I was smart enough to forward my important emails to my friend to save for me until she can send them back.
All I need to do is copy the POP server info off of my neighbor's computer. Dumb me didn't think to print screen the pages.  Next time maybe.

I finally got to do a render last night. I was able to convert 4 items of clothing from David to a morphed David in under 10 minutes. And these were items I had not WW'd before :)

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 10:54 AM

Ah, are you using the full Outlook that comes with MS Office or Outlook Express? I forget where OE stores all that information but it wasn't the same place as the full Outlook program.

My Freebies

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 11:17 AM

Outllook Express with Earthlink.

dlk30341 ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 11:32 AM

Which version os PSP did you try & load.  I have XP x64 & PSP8 & 9 work fine.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 11:37 AM

Quote -

1. I have no idea how to set up Outlook. thank heavens I can access e-mail from Earthlink.(I am SO glad I got that account!). So I have to see if my neighbor will let me look at her POP setting (we have the same server).

You download Outlook Express free from Microsoft's site.  It's not a very user friendly site to maneuver around in though.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 11:42 AM

To retrieve your Outlook Express Address Book from your old hard drive:

Set hidden files to show
Documents and Settings
Your user name
Application Data
Microsoft
Address Book (copy the contents to the same location on your new computer)

To retieve your email folders from your old computer:

Set hidden files to show
Documents and Settings
Your user name
Local Settings
Identities
Long string of numbers folder
Microsoft
Outlook Express (copy the contents to the same location on your new computer)

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 12:10 PM

Acadia, I have Outlook Express already on my computer. But to set it up I need to tell it my POP server. That info is what I need to get from my neighbor. I knew I would need it, and I was dumb enough to forget to print screen and save the pages before I took the computer in.
All of my important emails are with my friend so they are safe, and I'll just rebuild my address book. Which is a good as I had alot of unnecessary/outdated stuff in it after so many years. 
Housecleaning is  a good thing. Or so I tell myself.

dlk30341, I had PSP 8.1. When I tried to reinstall it I got a message that the Python was corrupted. And Corel has no support, and JASC is gone. So I am SOL.
Now I wait for PSP 12 to arrive. Once that's in I'lls reinstall a few plug-ins

Mec4D ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 1:44 PM

$5189.44 ? for the system ? that is a crazy price, I hope everything is in gold inside ;) I am serious
I set yesterday new computer  $1.400  ( monitor not included) I choice what I want...not what they want to sell.. by DELL if I paid them $5189.44 they would clean my office for the next 12 months for free lol

I hope you have much fun with your new thing! that is very good btw
Cath

"Surrender to what it is - Let go of what was - Have faith in what will be "

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 2:45 PM

Congrats! My old PC died and I just ordered an AMD X2 6400+ with 4 gigs of RAM, a 340 gig hard drive ( i have several externals with my Poser runtimes on them so I did not care about the C drive all that much). DVD write etc and a good Radeon graphics card for $849.00 total with shipping. The dual cores are cheap now because the quads are out, and even though the 6400+ is rated at 3 GHz, it runs three times as fast in all apps as my old 3.4 GHz Intel P4 single core, according to comparison benchmarks. No way could I afford over $1,000 at this time. Looking forward to my new PC so I can get back to my Poser. GOt Xp on it. No way am I messing with Vista at this time.

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 2:46 PM

That's an AMD 64 X2. 64 bit system. Can't use PSP? I usually use Photoshop anyway.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 4:55 PM

I passed on Vista too. But I got XP Pro, 64 bit because I intend to get Poser 7 Pro when it comes out.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.