Fri, Sep 20, 10:31 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: P4 or PP? -Which one to pick

Colin_S ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:07 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

Can someone tell me what to do when an older piece of freestuff installs as P4 and PP? 
I'm on P7, and the only difference I can see is the .rsr in P4 but not in PP. 
Is it something to do with the MATs? Which one can I delete?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:22 PM

Go for the ProPack version.  The difference is in the bump maps.  Poser 4 uses red/green BUM files, all other versions onward generally use greyscale JPG for bumps.  

That said, Poser 6 (and I guess 7) can use BUM files but they are generally not used now because they're larger files than the greyscale versions.  Word of warning, though - greyscale maps should be plugged into the Bump channel, not the Gradient_Bump channel.  Chances are the default MAT poses will connect them wrong.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

geep ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:26 PM

Hi Colin_S,

Poser 4 used the .rsr file for the thumbnail image in the Library.

Pro Pack started using .png files for thumbnail images.

You don't really need either one because ...

If the thumbnail image i.e., .rsr or .png, is missing, you will see the little shrugging guy in the Library.

How to make a new thumbnail image.

1. Load the item from the Library
  2. Adjust the image in the Document Window (use a square window, e.g., 256x256)
  3. Save the item back to the Library and ...

Poser will create a new thumbnail image for the Library.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:31 PM

Poser 6 & 7 will automatically create PNG files for your library using the old RSR files, not sure about Poser 5.

My Freebies

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 1:57 PM

Poser 5 does it too, that's if you can actually get it to run for more than 5 seconds (I'm kidding)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

BecSchm ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 5:31 PM

Get rid of P4.  P4 will give you very annoying messages if it needs a BUM fle and can't find it.  PP generally loads all the maps in my P6 much easier.

asrailight ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 6:24 PM

What about when you have files that give you an option of P4, PP, P5 or P6? Which should you choose? I noticed that the PP version of one of my props rendered blown-out, but the P5 version was fine. On other props, the PP version looked better, if there was any difference at all.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 10:09 PM

I can get P5 to run for way more than 5 seconds...just ask it to find a texture that's not in the right place...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

MatrixWorkz ( ) posted Fri, 26 October 2007 at 10:28 PM

Quote - I can get P5 to run for way more than 5 seconds...just ask it to find a texture that's not in the right place...;)

My Freebies

plus3d ( ) posted Sat, 27 October 2007 at 2:07 AM

PP is excellent !!!
I still use it a lot for Poser creations. It´s fast and renders are fast and clean (attention: the shader tree settings aren´t rendered, just the simple settings are loaded to be rendered).

PP is excellent!

Plus3D
My freebies at Renderosity - CLICK HERE :)

Colin_S ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 1:01 PM

Thank you everybody

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Mon, 29 October 2007 at 2:08 PM

Quote - I can get P5 to run for way more than 5 seconds...just ask it to find a texture that's not in the right place...;)

OUCH!!! I was trying to forget that ever happened! hehehehe 

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Dajadues ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2007 at 2:32 AM · edited Mon, 05 November 2007 at 2:36 AM

I use P5 no problems for a long time now.
And, I've never had that happen with textures.

I will never part with it. I loves me ProPack.

And, oddly enough, it's rendering faster than Daz Studio.

Oh and delete P4 and keep PP. You don't need P4
unless there's no PP, then, you'll need to keep it.

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2007 at 5:52 AM

With Poser5 it used to drive me crazy when it went into a sulk cause it couldn't find textures but thanks to Hogwarden & his brilliant Correct Reference program the problem went away fast.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

Dajadues ( ) posted Mon, 05 November 2007 at 11:15 PM · edited Mon, 05 November 2007 at 11:17 PM

**Lucifer_The_Dark

**I can safely say with using P5 I have never had that prob.

If I did it was because the textures were either missing or not
the right path in the file it's self which, is usually the problem.

If the path is wrong, Poser will not find it. I fix that by editing
the file and changing the path in notepad. Thats just me
tho. I don't mind taking the time to edit a .cr2 or a prop file.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.