Fri, Oct 4, 3:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Help me understand why people say V3 is better than v4?

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 7:54 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:37 PM

I've seen character sets for v4 and they look realistic and beautiful, much more human and real than v3 faces. Plus the clothing people have made for her looks fantastic. I dont' have v4. i have v3 but from previews and products for v4 i've seen. she looks much better than v3. Why do you guys say v3 is better? I've been tempted to buy v4 but i won't. I'm ok with v3

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 7:59 PM

well I have all the girls (well almost) and I like both V3 and V4. They are two different characters, it depends on what I want out of the artwork.

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:04 PM · edited Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:09 PM

I beg to differ. It's very hard to un V4 her face. Her eyes are "weird" (for lack of a better word) and I'm speaking after tweaking is performed. I've seen renders from different artists looking exactly the same. It doesn't seem her FACE is so versatile. She obviously bends better than V3 though and is able to take on an obese shape rather easily and realistically. Don't even get me started about all the great clothing/footwear on the market for this girl (things other than lingerie) Arrrrrrgh. Thank higher power for CrossDresser!

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:04 PM

It's not a matter of "better".

Everyone has their own figure of preference, and if they don't consider something "broken", why the need to switch?

V3 is my preferred figure because I have a ton of clothing and skin textures for her. I have V4 but TBH aside from goofing around in Poser with her I have never done a render with her in it.

Some say that the joints on V3 aren't that great, but I haven't noticed an issue with that. But then again i have never tried to turn her into a pretzel shape either.

I see that people complain about V4's arm pit area and that there is a script to fix it. So she has her problems too.

There was a thread not long ago similar to what you are asking.  You might want to have a look at it and it might answer some of your questions.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3039206

On that note I'm heading to bed. It's only 8pm but I can't keep my eyes open,  LOL

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

crucibelle ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:05 PM

The only thing I don't like about V4 is her eyes.  I wish all the parts were mapped together like on V3's eyes.  V3's eyes look a lot better, IMO.

crucibelle ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:08 PM

Quote - I beg to differ. It's very hard to un V4 her face.

I used to disagree with this, but the more I work with V4, the more I agree.   Having said that, though, I truly believe it's her eyes that make her unmistakably "V4".

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:19 PM · edited Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:20 PM

Quote - > Quote - I beg to differ. It's very hard to un V4 her face.

I used to disagree with this, but the more I work with V4, the more I agree.   Having said that, though, I truly believe it's her eyes that make her unmistakably "V4".

From what I've seen...her eyes, squared face, and full lips. All stayed the same no matter who played with her.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 8:29 PM

Often it's the matter of personal preferences.
Also, sometimes people are quick to judge something new before they've gotten sufficiently familiar with it, and decide it's not as good as something they are very familiar with and used to (and attached to). Then instead of saying, it's differnt, they say, I don't like it.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

fls13 ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2007 at 9:37 PM

Quote - The only thing I don't like about V4 is her eyes.  I wish all the parts were mapped together like on V3's eyes.  V3's eyes look a lot better, IMO.

Remap them, it's not difficult at all.

Casette ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:03 AM

They are simply different

I hate V4 hands. I can't copy a hand pose from right to left

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

crucibelle ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 5:31 AM

fls13,

Actually, I did.  And they look a lot better, IMO.  But if I'm wanting to create characters for freebies (which I'm wanting to do), I don't think that would go over too well.

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 12:14 PM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 12:17 PM

Quote - > Quote - The only thing I don't like about V4 is her eyes.  I wish all the parts were mapped together like on V3's eyes.  V3's eyes look a lot better, IMO.

Remap them, it's not difficult at all.

There are wonderful add-on replacement eyes available such as the ones by Preditron3D which is worth buying for the MATs which have shadow and eyewhite features I have not seen elsewhere, but you can just spawn one of V3's eyes as a prop and use replace body part with prop to do the transplant... or just turn off visibility on the figure's eye and keep the V3 eyes as parented props as I do. You can use Morph Manager to move the morphs over to the prop by temporarily changing the file suffix to ".cr2" and changing it back to ".pp2" when you are done. I also use V3 prop eyelashes from Freestuff and a morphing prop teeth I made from Aiko 3 for close-ups.

I think the V4 body is very toon, derived from Aiko 3 which is actually more realistic. The head is expresive but has a very funny eyes and nose and looks much younger than V3. As always, the trouble in modifying Daz figures to look distinctive is the nostril opening shape. I use V3 for older women and SP3 for realistic figures and V4 for younger figures. I still use V2 when I have a lot of stuff in a scene and VickyPreteen morphed to an adult figure for more realistic figures such as artist's models. VickyPT has a great "heavy" morph which is more subtle compared to the weight morphs of other figures. To make VickyPT more mature you can use the V2 breast morphs dialed negative and narrow the waist and expand the hips.

I don't think there is a single figure solution. You just have to buy all the figures you can afford and see how you use them. None of the major figures are truly flawed... it is just a matter of taste. I do just feel all the figures are weak when it comes to facial expressions compared to the prop heads like Eszter and the ones by Neftis. I find myself tweeking the expressions on my renders using the Liquid tool in Photoshop which I think is a pretty strange way to have to go about it.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 12:27 PM

I think part of the problem was intentional but it doesn't work as well as people would like. DAZ designed V4 as as sort of neutral, she has a bit more toon in that regard because she doesn't have more defined features. This was intentional, to be a more neutral slate and to get away from "She always looks like Vicky" but people aren't pushing her as much as she could be pushed and there aren't as many add ons to her as quick so it sort of leads back to the "She always looks like Vicky" thing but just with a different number at the end.

plus3d ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 1:21 PM

V3 has a very beautiful 3D face and a nice UV map for her body but her mesh is too heavy and her shoulders are a little big.
V3 is a beautiful figure and she has a looootttttt of related products.

V4 has a wonderful body and her mesh is perfect and she bends perfect too. Her default eyes are not so beautiful like V3 and she hides a lot the mesh in that zone. Only using her morphs it´s possible to make her eyes more useful and showing more the texture in that zone.
V4 is a very beautiful figure too and she is the most popular figure at this moment. I highly recommend her!

Sorry for my bad english.

Plus3D
My freebies at Renderosity - CLICK HERE :)

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:14 PM

file_393542.jpg

The first release of V4 had a pretty narrow limit on what you could really do with the eyes.  Under the current release, if you're not getting too far away from default looks, then you're just not trying very hard.  5 minutes of dial spinning.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:15 PM

file_393544.jpg

and another 5 minutes of dial spinning.

My Freebies

crucibelle ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:23 PM

The first one looks very nice, pjz.  I just don't think I'm very good at face morphing/dial spinning.  Mine always come out looking ugly.

plus3d - Your Diva is one of the best V4 characters, particularly her eyes.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 3:28 PM

file_393545.jpg

And a last one, semi-Filipina, actually took longer to render than to spin up from scratch.

My Freebies

crucibelle ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:00 PM

pjz,

On your second pic, how did you get her eyes so rounded?  If you don't mind saying, I mean.

pjz99 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:17 PM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:19 PM

I didn't save a copy - basically get in there and move the morphs around, take them negative etc.  The two big flaws of ALL POSER FIGURES, not just V3 or V4, are 1) the eyes are usually too big and b) the nose is ALWAYS too small.

My Freebies

plus3d ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:20 PM

Thank you so much Crucibelle. I am very proud of Diva V4.

Plus3D
My freebies at Renderosity - CLICK HERE :)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 4:37 PM

Quote - They are simply different

I hate V4 hands. I can't copy a hand pose from right to left

Even with Symmetry in DAZ|Studio?

/P

Casette ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 5:37 PM

I don't use D/S. I mean Poser

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 6:10 PM

V3 still rules in my book. To me V4 is only better in the bending department which is not enough of a reason for me to use her. I've tried to use her, I just never get inspired to continue.
I find I can work with V3's face much more, I prefer the features I can make from her morphs. If you enlarge V3's head, work with her great face morphs (works really well with New Generation 2) & work on her body proportions I think the final look is better than what can be achieved with V4.
Yes, alot of artworks with both figures are easily definable of that particualr girl, but I just don't like the obvious V4. She's not ugly, just not very interesting. In short, V4 to me personally was a huge disappointment.
While we're talking about Daz figures, I can wait for A4. A3 doesn't have as many morphs as I feel she should have but I think she has a great base design to her.

Tiari ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 6:13 PM

Hmmm, better? Worse?   I've had a crack at the V3 V4 issue before.  I'm sure by someone I'll get trumped for my opinion, but I know both figures pretty well, here's my take.

V3 always looks like V3 mostly because i think, in general, there was so much "free stuff" out for her, facial morphs and packs, everyone used them instead of spinning dials/adding injections of their own.  So after a while, they do all look the same.   We know what "the same" means by this point, way pinched unrealistic nose, and the mojombu huge -yes i've had lip injections at the plastic surgeon- look.

However, take V3, and her whole injection pack, and if its actually used, you can get some "serious" faces going on.  I have a gallery full of V3.... yet, don't have a problem with "the same face" over and over.

Keep in mind too, a lot of V3 renders i've seen (mostly beginners, but there's a LOT of them mind you), have either the default face, or they injected one thing, and one thing only.  The trick is investing the time to make something creatively different.

Now, on to V4.  I've had V4 since she came out, and I've managed to get one decent peice of art using her, and thats with a huge amount of effort and a helluva lot of tweaking and airbrushing over in photoshop.   Trust me, my inability to work with her has nothing to do with lack of time invested in using her.  There's been darn good money paid on her, so I have, and am still, investing time trying to ferret out her secrets.  So far?  not many.

V4's body is an improvement by a longshot, that I agree, however, it feels very "jessi-esque" to me.  I've compared the two bodies side by side, and it does seem remarkably simillar with the exception Jessi has more musculature to her.  A lot of time has to be used to get out the -i'm anorexic- stomach indent under the ribs and making it flesh out without a huge side ripple like the love handles from hades, but it can be done.  Again, a lot of time has to be given to sizing and resizing feet and hands, which seem disproportionate (i.e. drag queen feet) LOL.

For those who care about them the greatest deal, ha, the breasts are an enormous improvement (no pun intended here!).   The dials get much better realism with way less work to get a natural uplifted or, drooping breast.

Her face leaves a lot to be desired.  people will argue this i'm sure, but still, i understand what "asian"means in a dial, i dont understand what "monique" means in a dial.  I'm guessing its "french"..... although none of the character morphs conform to any ethincity I'm accutely aware of LOL.  You can, with work get a good face on her, but.... like v3, v4 holds the "it looks like v4" issue.  I think all the mil figures do actually, with a few exceptions.

To me its not better or worse, but which is more useable.  To me, thats still V3, its much more versatile to me.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 7:35 PM · edited Fri, 16 November 2007 at 7:37 PM

Take V3's head and place it on V4's body in the setup room. Problem solved! LOL

crucibelle ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 8:26 PM

plus3d,

I hope you will be making more V4 characters in the future. :)

pjz,

No problem, I just remembered it's 'eyes almond' that makes her eyes more rounded.  The huge eyes and too-small nose is a pretty obvious problem with V4.  At least those parameters are easy to fix.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.