Sat, Sep 21, 6:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 8:54 am)

Subject: Shadows in Studio

Heztia ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2007 at 3:53 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 9:05 AM

I was wondering if there is a way to make floor and wall shadows in studio without having a floor or background prop.  I've seen images rendered in Poser with a plain white bg and shadows showning on the floor.  I've been playing with my lights in studio but having just the plain white bg the shadows only seem to render on my characters any sugguestions?

"KnowThyself And Be Ture, Let Karma Do The Rest"
Mystic Images Freebies

prixat ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2007 at 5:18 PM

file_392312.jpg

Hi Heztia Its actually done with a floor plane the same colour as the background colour.

regards
prixat

prixat ( ) posted Thu, 01 November 2007 at 5:22 PM

Attached Link: http://www.dazartistsguild.com

file_392313.jpg

When the background colour is set, the floor appears invisible. I posted a mini-tutorial (for the lighting) over at www.dazartistsguild.com (needs free registration)

regards
prixat

Heztia ( ) posted Fri, 02 November 2007 at 12:25 PM

Thanks so much hun for the help, I signed up and I have found the tut. I guess if I thought about it more I could have figured that out lol I'm off to try again.  The render already takes 2 hours as is I think cause I'm using PWSurfaces for my characters skin but it will be well worth it to learn new things s

Mystic Images Freebies

Kunshouling ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 10:46 PM

I actually have a similar but not the same query.

I want to crete shadows, I'm using a floor prop, however I want to export as a png without the floor prop showing just the model and its shadow...

Is this possible?

Heztia ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 11:29 PM · edited Tue, 13 November 2007 at 11:31 PM

You'd have to do the same thing as I was told above.  There is actually a floor used in the above image. You need to have the floor so the light has something to bounce the shadow on.  Follow the above link the check out the tut, it's very good!   Worked for me s 

Mystic Images Freebies

Kunshouling ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 8:11 AM

I understand the above concept which works really well and looks good, but what I need is for just the Figure and shadow on the PNG export without the floor prop showing, ie I need to create an animated figure with shadow for a set of dds files so that the figure can be placed on any background no matter on the colour...

RHaseltine ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 9:04 AM

You'd need the pwCatch shader for that - it's a for-sale item at DAZ

Kunshouling ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 10:54 AM

ok thanks

prixat ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 4:10 PM · edited Wed, 14 November 2007 at 4:13 PM

When discussing the same problem over at DAZ, I think we came to the conclusion that pwCatch won't work with AO, and the 'quick and dirty' lighting scheme I used above relies primarily on AO. You'll have to find a different way of lighting to make use pwCatch.

regards
prixat

Kunshouling ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2007 at 5:53 PM

It does the job I need in aiding with sprite construction where I have set up a "studio" with 16 cams and use distant lighting with shadow maps.

Kunshouling ( ) posted Fri, 16 November 2007 at 10:51 AM

Attached Link: http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/kunshouling/screen0023.jpg

The results are perfect, heres a shot of a sprite created using studio and some of its content (for personal use only in modding a game)

Mannixman ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 5:47 AM

Ah, the Mad Minute game engine. Very well done.

I thought this would only be possible by constructing your own model in max etc. Very smart idea Kunshouling !

Kunshouling ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 11:22 AM

Are you familiar with this engine then?

Mannixman ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2007 at 4:00 AM

Kunshouling:

Only as a player.

I saw a document on their homepage as how to mod the figures where they advised to build them in Max. Using DAZ or Poser never occurred to me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.