Sat, Sep 21, 6:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 8:42 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: OT-For those in the US and Canada

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 8:19 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:30 PM

Attached Link: http://www.magicjack.com

Hey gang,

I just had to post this...anyone tired of the horrendous phone bills from your home phone and cell phones?

I found the cure {so far as my testing has gone}

It's called the MagicJack...its a little device that plugs into your usb port on your computer, you plug your phone jack cord into the other end, and you have free phone service via your high speed internet connection! {doesn't work for dialup yet, and its not available outside US and Canada yet :sad:} and Mac support is coming out soon 😉

Now, the MagicJack sells for $39.95 USD plus shipping and handling...brings the total up to a bit of change over $46.00 {first year is free}

Best of all.....you only pay $19.95 per YEAR! and the first year is **free!

**No, I do not work for these people, and am not trying to give them a 'plug'..I found this by accident, and boy am I glad I did....it works perfectly on my home phone. I wanted to give you all a heads up because we all suffer from enormous phone bills...especially cells.

Doesn't slow my computer down {still have not tested it yet while Im running my programs like Poser...will test that later tonight} It does pull a bit on CPU, but not even nearly what say Firefox pulls....

You can use the computer while on the phone etc....its wayyy better than Vonage I can say that..I have used them and this is wayyyyyyyy better :D {Vonage and others actually make you pay extra for incoming calls and you pay per month}

I had mine set up in like 5 minutes..and was making and receiving calls everywhere :biggrin:

Check it out gang!

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

SGT2005 ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 9:40 PM

Thanks Tator all check it out.....Works this good might be a good thing for my near future business :)  Hurry up August   ...dammmit :=)

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 07 January 2008 at 10:30 PM

You are very welcome..I have tested it now while on the phone and running Poser and it doesn't even seem to bother anything....

Only thing I see is that the computer speaker volume is connected to the phone so I can't hear any sound on my computer while the MagicJack is running...but then the kiddo's have had the phone constantly going since I got it LOL..so might still be need to be configured more...

I just wanted to get it tested on the computer drag and so on first...I think its excellent...Oh! And its portable 😉

~Jani

SGT2005 ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 12:51 AM

Would this work on a laptop too that uses wifi ? be nice if on the road I could connect it to my satalite wifi net work :)

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 5:15 AM

I know it will work on a laptop, but it needs a phone jack..so SAT is out I think :(

~Jani

MGD ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 10:54 AM

I see that Jumpstartme2 thinks that,

it needs a phone jack

No, not true ... it provides a phone jack. 

The original poster said that,

the MagicJack ... plugs into your usb port ... plug your phone jack
cord into the other end [of the MagicJack USB dongle]. 

Your phone plugs into the MagicJack.  If the MagicJack needed a telephone
line in order to operate, it couldn't and wouldn't save you any money. 

BTW, Skype is another good alternative.  And with Skype, there is no charge
for computer to computer calls. 

--
Martin

MGD ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 11:16 AM

I think a little comparison is in order ...

What does each method need?
Method     telephone  PC   DSL/Cable/FiOS
======     =========  ==   ==============

LandLine   Yes        No   No

Vonage     Yes        No   Yes

Skype      No         Yes  Yes

MagicJack  Yes        Yes  Yes

I hope you can read my comparison table ... e.g. with a 'LandLine', you
need a telephone.; with 'Vonage', you need a telephone and a fast internet
connection ...

OK? 

HTH

--
Martin

MGD ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 11:26 AM

I see that SGT2005 was curious,

Would this work on a laptop too that uses wifi? 

I would expect it to work ... but ...

IMO, Skype might be the better alternative ... because with Skype, you don't
need (a) a telephone; (b) the MagicJack USB dongle, and (c) an open USB
port for the dongle.  ... OTOH, with Skype, you do need a microphone and
speakers (or headset) ... but many laptops have those built in. 

If all of your 'on the road' calls are to either the office or to your home,
those would be PC to PC calls and are free. 

HTH

--
Martin

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 2:06 PM

Skype for certain.  It is what I use when doing international business calls - could you imagine the costs otherwise without an international plan!?  All you need is a headset w/microphone attached to the line in/out or line out/microphone ports.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2008 at 10:06 PM

Excuse me MGD, I didn't place the word cord in there the second time...... and never did I mention it needed a telephone land line connected to/through a phone company, in order to work...sorry if I mis-explained that.

I posted this, so anyone that wasn't aware of a new VOIP alternative to high phone bills could be informed that it was out there.

What I found most impressive was the 'money you can save' over a traditional land line/VOIP/Cell phone bill. {as in "Monthly phone bills"} and the adaptability of the device itself.

$20.00 per year, {not per month} Unlimited calling anywhere, anytime, Portability, {jack fits in your palm, and can be used almost anywhere} Not glued to your PC, you can use your 'exsisting' home phone, 'or'  use your PC/laptop with headset, Great sound quality, free voicemail/call waiting/free phone number.

You pay 1 fee..thats for the jack and the shipping..thats it. $20.00 per year thereafter.

I dont mind comparisons....I have one or two..since I have used Skype and Vonage. Whatever works for others is fine by me...I just thought Id throw out a new alternative thats been tested.

==================================
Vonage: What you need, and what you pay:{Basic Plan}

$24.99/month†

{†Rates exclude: broadband service, regulatory and activation fees and certain other charges, equipment, taxes, and shipping.}

Additional calling charges may apply on Basic Plans. International calls billed per minute.

High Speed Internet or Broadband Required

Lynksys Router {which is the 'equipment'/adapter}

Ethernet {They claimed USB would work, but it didn't work for my setup for some reason, may work for others}

Download/Install the Software

Separate charges for incoming and outgoing calls via phone/pc {SkypeOut calls to US or Canadian phones are billed at the standard SkypeOut rate which includes a per-minute charge of 2.1 US cents or 2.4 CAN cents and a connection fee of 3.9 US cents per call} {SkypeIn $18 for 3 months or $60 for a full year}

Skype PC to PC calls free.

You’ll need Skype Credit or Skype Pro™ to make calls to phones and mobiles. {Skype Credit starts from just $10 and you can make calls from just 2.1¢ per minute.} {Skype Pro – just $3 a month

Charged per minute rates

Accessories: Hand Held device or headset available for additional charge, if you want to move away from your PC

~Jani

UVDan ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2008 at 11:28 AM · edited Thu, 19 June 2008 at 11:29 AM
Forum Moderator

My internet connection is DSL which needs the phone line from the telephone company.  So I would be calling over my computer over the phone line.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

MGD ( ) posted Thu, 19 June 2008 at 12:06 PM

I see that UVDan mentioned,

My internet connection is DSL which needs the phone line from the telephone
company.  So I would be calling over my computer over the phone line.

True. 

OTOH, although I don't have DSL, I understand that with DSL you would have both high speed internet (RJ-45 wired, wireless, or USB ... depending on the DSL modem) and also an analog telephone line (RJ-11).  The calling plan on the analog line (RJ-11) determines you usage cost for local, long distance and international calls. 

The reason you might want to use an alternative service is that your long distance or international calling costs might be lower than what your telephone company would charge for usage.  In addition, with Skype, you also get 2-way video. 

Some monthly cost comparisons ...

$44.00 Telephone company (unlimited US and Canada) +tax

$25.00 Vonage (unlimited US) +tax

$2.95 SkypeOut (US)
$9.95 SkypeOut (Global to 34 countries)
$3.00 SkypeIn (provides an incoming telephone number)

If any of this is unclear, please ask. 

Any other comments ... please. 

--
Martin

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sat, 21 June 2008 at 4:19 PM

What UVDan is saying is it's not really a savings to people who have to have a hardline in order for their broadband to work. Yes, there might be a savings if they make a bazillion log distance calls and this MagicJac would save them LD bills, but if you're like me and don't make more than 1 long distance call ever few months. You're paying EXTRA for the MagicJack. Not Less. Every persons situation will be dependant on their needs and usages.

dominicmeh ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2008 at 2:19 AM

Quote - Hey gang,

I just had to post this...anyone tired of the horrendous phone bills from your home phone and cell phones?

I found the cure {so far as my testing has gone}

It's called the MagicJack...its a little device that plugs into your usb port on your computer, you plug your phone jack cord into the other end, and you have free phone service via your high speed internet connection! {doesn't work for dialup yet, and its not available outside US and Canada yet :sad:} and Mac support is coming out soon 😉

Now, the MagicJack sells for $39.95 USD plus shipping and handling...brings the total up to a bit of change over $46.00 {first year is free}

Best of all.....you only pay $19.95 per YEAR! and the first year is **free!

**No, I do not work for these people, and am not trying to give them a 'plug'..I found this by accident, and boy am I glad I did....it works perfectly on my home phone. I wanted to give you all a heads up because we all suffer from enormous phone bills...especially cells.

Doesn't slow my computer down {still have not tested it yet while Im running my programs like Poser...will test that later tonight} It does pull a bit on CPU, but not even nearly what say Firefox pulls....

You can use the computer while on the phone etc....its wayyy better than Vonage I can say that..I have used them and this is wayyyyyyyy better :D {Vonage and others actually make you pay extra for incoming calls and you pay per month}

I had mine set up in like 5 minutes..and was making and receiving calls everywhere :biggrin:

Check it out gang!

Thanks for this information : -) it's very helpful..

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2008 at 6:55 AM

You are very welcome 😄

~Jani

Daidalos ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2008 at 11:07 PM · edited Tue, 08 July 2008 at 11:10 PM

There can be only one tater!

"The Blood is the life!"

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 09 July 2008 at 12:16 AM

:biggrin:

~Jani

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.