Thu, Oct 3, 9:16 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 6:00 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Geometry Stripper Application: for free

JHoagland ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 3:56 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 7:20 AM

Attached Link: Geometry Stripper

I have just finished writing a "Geometry Stripper" program (for Windows) which performs the following process: 1) Removes the geometry information from a prop (pp2) file. 2) Saves the geometry information to an obj file. 3) Adds a reference to the obj file back to the prop file. This program will also work with props which have multiple objects within it: each set of geometry information is saved to a separate obj file.

Created on Windows XP, but should work on most versions of Windows.

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

RAMWorks ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 4:00 PM
Online Now!

Wow, thanks so much!!  😄

---Wolff On The Prowl---

My Store is HERE

My Freebies are HERE  

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 4:23 PM

Sweet! Now I can finally bury P-wizard!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 7:03 PM · edited Thu, 24 January 2008 at 7:05 PM

May I be so bold as to ask why this application was written?

infinity10 ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 9:20 PM

Thank you

Arigato

Xie Xie

Terima Kasih

Makes my PP2 hand-editing a thing of the past.

Eternal Hobbyist

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 10:06 PM · edited Thu, 24 January 2008 at 10:16 PM

:mellow:

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 24 January 2008 at 11:36 PM

Quote - May I be so bold as to ask why this application was written?

Because it was needed?

There have been a number of commercial programs with this built in, but nothing available for people starting out, or creating freebies.

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 12:35 AM

There are a few ways of getting the geometry externalized , but another program is always welcome .

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 12:39 AM · edited Fri, 25 January 2008 at 12:45 AM

:ohmy:

" Because it was needed?"

*Does'nt geometry tell us Where something would be; why remove, or seperate,  that detail?

At first I was thinking that removing the data would make the file smaller; but then I realized removing the geometry data would just incure a need for another form of...Geometry!?

I guess just would'nt called this a Stripper; as much as a Seperator, or Externalizer?  But then again I still do'nt understand what the benefits are, here, at all?

Touchwood ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 1:46 AM

From the Readme: "" Why use obj files instead of putting the geometry information in the prop file? -Less memory intensive: when you add another copy of the prop to the scene, Poser only has to reference one obj file. -When you save a scene file, Poser saves the reference to the obj file rather than saving the geometry information. -obj files can be imported into other programs, pp2 files can not. -Some marketplace sites require that prop files reference external obj files.""

ranman38 ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 9:20 AM

awesome John, nothing like an easy free app to do something simple that poser should do by itself. :)

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 10:39 AM

Most stores (Rendo, Daz, Poser Pros, RDNA) require the object to be separated from the prop and referenced. There are many numerous benefits to this, but the main one is to make supporting add on products easier.

For instance, how do you load an object into a 3d paint application, if it's imbedded in a prop file? Or how do you load a 3d object into uv mapper or photoshop cs3 to check for seams for a new texture?

MANY reasons why it's required, and I wouldn;t even dream of buying something that didn;t have objs ripped.

Just another one of those developement details that increases the work for developers, but also increases the useability to end users.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 12:26 PM

Ah, a Ripper.  I see.  Thanks, guys; it's nice to see we're all pinching KBs, here!

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 12:35 PM

Well, that's part of being a good content developer.. reducing memory issues as much as possible, and also making things with the most versitality for end users.

Stepdad ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 1:49 PM

Quote - :ohmy:

" Because it was needed?"

*Does'nt geometry tell us Where something would be; why remove, or seperate,  that detail?

At first I was thinking that removing the data would make the file smaller; but then I realized removing the geometry data would just incure a need for another form of...Geometry!?

I guess just would'nt called this a Stripper; as much as a Seperator, or Externalizer?  But then again I still do'nt understand what the benefits are, here, at all?

Well, curiously enough Poser uses less memory to load the prop if the props you've loaded have external OBJ files as opposed to having the geometry imbeded into the pp2 file, so having an external .obj file is always much better in this regard.

Now granted, one can load a prop in poser, export the geometry to an obj file, then go back and edit the pp2 removing all the geometry information and putting in a statement to reference the new .obj file you've created, but this can be a bit time consuming particularly if you have quite a few pp2 files with internal geometry, so i can see a lot of use for a program like this personally.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 2:49 PM · edited Fri, 25 January 2008 at 2:49 PM

*"...curiously..."

*Indeed, thanks again!

😉

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 7:41 PM

Thank you :) I'm not skilled enough to make proper use of it yet, but I'm delighted to have it stashed away for the future!

pokeydots ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 6:55 PM

Thanks!  This is one thing I hated about making props!  This will make it so much easier!

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

ruby_dragon ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 1:05 PM

Thank you! I've recently started playing with creating props - this'll come in great handy!! Muchly appreciated!

*hugs*
-Jen Dyck

jenay ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 4:22 AM

I tested it and found it very useful :)
Many thanks for this nice tool :)

Schurby ( ) posted Tue, 19 February 2008 at 8:44 AM

I too tested it and it works fine. Something that will be part of my arsenal of tools from now on.

Thanks so much!

Schurby

Schurby

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.