Thu, Oct 3, 9:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:12 pm)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Collaborating? Victorian era villages etc...

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 1:22 AM

you are absolutely right about the quality of those progs, i have the same experience, especially when you work with scanned images. 
an other option could be making a screen shot from the houses we have and use the bitmap or a combination of bitmaps. this would save a lot of work and from screenshots you can combine whatever you want.
the best thing is to look what we might need when the main scene  is more or less set..

"The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train"

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 11:54 AM

Something else that can always be done for a filler is to render out a single facade (actually, front, back, side etc) of each building, and have a library of them. Then mix tehem up in the background on simple panels.
That way the graphic consistency between foreground and the background isn't too great.
Also, we can vary them by adding different textures to the facade renders, and get several panels out of each building.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 3:37 PM

A question, especially for Koosie and DV - do you guys want the texture files, or just a catalog of them for now?  
There's about 200 image files at 512x512, all seamless (64 meg unzipped). About 125 textures with bump maps for most of  them.

At the moment I ran out of ideas what other textures to render out, so I'll start textuiring pieces, and see what gaps in textures we need to fill in.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 3:44 PM

connie, i do not have any experience - in sketchup i can import a texture and paint it on the surface, that is as far as my knowledge goes - dv is trying to make me clear how bumpmaps etc. work, but i cannot get the hang of it yet.
the only conclusion can be that dv decides what and how and i will try to catch up 😄

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 4:51 PM

Just a catalog for the time being I suppose.
Whenever you get everything that you think we need, then do the zip with the full size images.
Sound good?

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 5:17 PM

Sure!  I mean, if you guys aren't ready to deal with a pile of textures right now, that's cool.
I just thought I'd make an offer, so you guys don't start thinking I'm hording them. ;)

I'll do some texturing on the stuff you sent me, DV, then when I have a few things on there, we can critique it, change them, get everyone's input...
And, yes,  little catalog, I just had photoshop run through directories and make contact sheets. I'll PDF them. DV, you have broadband now, no? So if I email you something thats 2-5 meg, it won't clog up your line?

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 5:20 PM

I do have broadband now! :biggrin:

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 5:26 PM

i have broadband too - no problem at all! love to see what is in the catalog!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 5:49 PM · edited Mon, 21 January 2008 at 6:02 PM

allrighty then.. I'll pdf it and email (when I get home, which will be in about 3-4 hours)

EDIT: never mind, I can make jpg's and send it right now... about 3.5 meg email.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 21 January 2008 at 6:02 PM

at that time i hope to be asleep, it's one in the morning down here 😄

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 12:41 PM

file_398267.jpg

fran: **"Looking at your plan view, how much more needs to be modeled before we can look forward to seeing a whole scene?"

**well, this may be the answer- i made a few renders

this is the sight from the river

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 12:42 PM

file_398268.jpg

this is the sight of the inner harbour from behind dv's church

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 12:46 PM

file_398269.jpg

this is the sight of the inner harbour from the lock gates at the river side.

for these last two i borrowed a tree from google - it's not the right kind of tree, but it had the advantage that the leaves are spread out and thin - besides, i love birch trees - it makes the image look more real and it covers a few mock-ups i had to use.

jedswindells ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 1:24 PM

Harbour?there's water!!!..Great,will it fit my CuttySark model? 

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 2:51 PM

Where'd you get the trees, koosievantutte?

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 22 January 2008 at 5:12 PM · edited Tue, 22 January 2008 at 5:18 PM

@ jedswindells: the cutty sark would be able to berth on the riverside, certainly not in the (very) small innerharbour, but yes, the river would be big enough, if you are serious i could redraw a part of the ground plan to make it fit (don't know the exact overall length forthwith)
whatever, the little ship in your featured image will fit on the river side - don't know about the inner harbour - have to know the dimensions.

@ dvlenk6: they are in the sketchup files under 'components>trees 3d'

jedswindells ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 5:23 AM

Cutty sark ,specs from Wikepedia...
  Displacement: 2,100 tons (2,133.7 tonnes) at 20 ft. (6.1 m) draught Length: hull: 212.5 ft (64.77 m) / LOA: 280 ft (85.4 m) Beam: 36 ft (11 m) Draught: 21 ft (6.4 m) loaded
 just as relevant -Model specs...4.80MB  .obj modelled with Lightwave
She's a big lass!...and you are welcome to her and the smaller boats any time,they should really be posted as freebies but i haven't got round to setting up a site yet.
  Cheers! Jed.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 9:46 AM · edited Wed, 23 January 2008 at 9:47 AM

thanks, jed sounds great to me - we have an 88 metres of quay length, which she can occupy - glad to have you on board :-) - i will contact you asap.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 5:25 PM

Hey Jed - did you know you can upload freebies to Sharecg.com?

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2008 at 5:53 PM

oh, how cool, I love ye olde ships!

jedswindells ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 7:18 AM · edited Fri, 25 January 2008 at 7:20 AM

Thanks Fran,
So if anyone is interested here is the link to the freeby.It is untextured but only needs about 10 or so textures to look fine.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/22708/3d-model/Clipper

Cheers! Jed.
ps.uploaded a Bryce textued one aswell.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/22709/3d-model/Bryce-Clipper

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 8:34 AM

Such a shame about the fire, at least we can see it again this way, thanks for this Jed.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 9:20 AM

I see that the detailing is missing on the bow and stern, sails are furled and the figurehead is missing too, Jed - that's a shame. 

Nice model otherwise.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

jedswindells ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 10:29 AM

Yes Fran,I didn't want the ship to be too specific,and the bow and stern  details were clumsily done.But if anyone wants to add a name I gave these these panels different titles so they could be given any name,patterns,etc.As for a figure head,many freestuff characters could be used.

Cheers! Jed.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2008 at 11:37 AM

Nice to be universally useful, but I must admit I would have liked a complete Cutty Sark.  🆒

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:44 AM

@ fran: don't get greedy 😄 - besides, i heard the cutty sark gets a 10 million grant from the lottery, that will take care of a lot, i think. moreover: much was not on board when the fire broke out as it was being restored anyhow. it was long over due, that restauration, it made me sad when i visited her many years ago and saw some parts of the hull were crudely repaired with ... concrete!

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:47 AM

file_398556.jpg

these are the houses i am working on at the moment. it's not a very good image because of the limited kb size.

jedswindells ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:53 AM

Looking good ! well,looking fantastic really!What app are you building them in?

Cheers! Jed.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 12:57 PM

all built from scratch in sketchup (free).

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:26 PM

file_398581.jpg

here are a few renders with jed's clipper in it. it took almost an hour to import the obj file into sketchup and the it turned out to be 8 centimeters (a little over 3 inches) long 😄 rezizing did not take too long but placing this giant into the scene was a lot of work.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:27 PM

file_398582.jpg

the second one

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:28 PM

file_398583.jpg

the third

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:29 PM

file_398584.jpg

and the last one everything is on this one.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:33 PM

file_398585.gif

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 5:54 PM

that's a very, very big smile!
and oh, yeah, i need that 2 extra gigs badly.

koosievantutte ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 6:38 PM

file_398587.jpg

for everybody who wants to find the way around the village - a small map 😄

jedswindells ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 7:46 PM

What? all that work and it's a pocket battle ship!...wierd how an object from one app never fits another!!!.I work from .jpg or .bmp files of model-makers plans and Lightwave has a pulmonary embolism if I try to use large background images.I need those to create a 3d model close to the real thing.
 Perhaps work should progress without such a Behemoth!..Forgive me for creating such a monster!! ....It,s not all about size,its what you do with it!(so I hear!)
 Cheers! Jed.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:01 PM · edited Sun, 27 January 2008 at 9:02 PM

file_398625.jpg

If you didn't like the big smilie, then have a drink instead. :)

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 1:47 AM · edited Mon, 28 January 2008 at 1:49 AM

file_398650.jpg

i'll stick to coffee, need that for blowing up clippers and render towns - have one, all of you too!

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 5:36 PM

Quote - @ fran: don't get greedy 😄 - besides, i heard the cutty sark gets a 10 million grant from the lottery, that will take care of a lot, i think. moreover: much was not on board when the fire broke out as it was being restored anyhow. it was long over due, that restauration, it made me sad when i visited her many years ago and saw some parts of the hull were crudely repaired with ... concrete!

I've always thought of my Greed as my best feature, closely followed by my Gluttony and of course my Sloth.  Envy hangs about in the wings waiting for an entrance, my Anger awaits beneath several cleverly constructed trapdoors.
Unfortunately my Pride died back in the mists of time: - we mourn the loss sorrowfully.  Lust however is still flickering gamely on the back burner, awaiting a chance for greatness.

Lol...

Koff, back to normal.

I've actually been looking at the Cutty Sark site and it seems that as much as 70% of the ship wasn't even there when the fire broke out, and the majority of what was burnt can be saved by sanding off the blackened outer skin, only a very few timbers are actually unsalvagable, so things are looking a great deal brighter all round.

I may even one day once more stand upon that great ship, as I once did as a child.  Ah... happy days.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 6:30 PM

tried to reply 4 times, but rr apparently did not see that i typed a message :cursing:

koosievantutte ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 6:34 PM · edited Mon, 28 January 2008 at 6:34 PM

well, seemed solved now, so, once again:

it may seem odd to you but the most beautiful sight to me was not on the ship itself, but standing down in the dock by the keel, looking along the side, seeing that beautiful line in which i could see the speed this girl was capable of (probably my stupid imagination).

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:44 PM · edited Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:46 PM

New FCK Editor:
http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13364
I still think that thing is rightly named, but 'FCK U Editor' would be more accurate.:lol:

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 2:48 PM

Hey guys... catching up here after a few days out of town. (I tried reading all the posts, but my ADD kicked in and I made it through about half - sowwy)
That's one slick ship! Awesome work!  It looks a bit large compared to the houses.
Knowing you guys, I can trust you to use the true mesaurements for the ship :)

If I were doing a cutesy scene, I'd probably scale down the ship by 1/3 or 1/4, to look more proportionate to the rest of the scene... but then again, a ship afficionado may catch that and thinks it's too out of whack :)
Keep up the good work guys and gals :)

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 3:15 PM · edited Tue, 29 January 2008 at 3:16 PM

you are right on all counts, connie. those tall ships are not called tall ships for nothing - you can see the masts a very long way off. you are right about making it smaller in the scene, but i just put her in and rendered the lot - i was glad i got her imported and wanted to show what it looks like.
i am a ships affectionado, but i have some eye for aestatics too, so in the end it can be changed to whatever we want as long as it still is a clipper and not a dinghy 😄.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 6:28 PM

Thanks Koosie :)
I think I read that the ship needs textures too?

koosievantutte ( ) posted Tue, 29 January 2008 at 9:21 PM · edited Tue, 29 January 2008 at 9:29 PM

you bet! - teak - brass - iron - rope and a deck - small wood planks with tar in the seams (don' t know if i use the right words, it's actually wood with rope in between and the rope is covered with tar). there is copper too, but that's under the water line, so don't worry about that.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:10 AM

It's a pity it's not Bryce - I've got all that except the teak, and I could probably get some of that.

Talking of below the waterline - I think you'd still need the materials below that, since depending on the light and the angle of the shot you may be able to see some way below the waterline...  Just FYI.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

koosievantutte ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:26 AM

it's just the black hull you see - the copperplate is actually very deep down to protect the keel and i presume a little murky water to make it a little bit easier :lol:

koosievantutte ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:45 AM · edited Wed, 30 January 2008 at 6:49 AM

file_398796.jpg

the corner i am working on (koosie corner) is going to look like something - not finished yet - just to show i'm still working on it. - it's a rather accurate copy of a corner in amsterdam -

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.