Thu, Sep 19, 8:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: Questions for Poser 7 Mac Users

RCT ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 5:50 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 8:35 PM

Hi, this is driving me nuts, so if anyone can help here I'd be very grateful! I'm working in Poser 7 on a Mac. I've got V4.1 loaded and I've applied some commercially bought morphs (from DAZ), tweaked those morphs further myself, and added some textures I created myself. What I want to do is save the resulting character to my library so that I can then apply those textures and morphs anytime I want. When I try and save to my library, it seems to save OK. But when I then try and apply the Pose file to a default V4, ONLY the morph tweaks I added myself, and the pose position, apply: the textures don't apply, and neither do the morphs I got from DAZ. So, Question 1: What am I doing wrong? Eventually, I want to create a character to sell in the marketplace. (Not the above character, as that one uses morphs from someone else!) I need to get this MAT file creation thing handled. I'm aware that Windows users can use 3rd party programs to create MAT files, and that MAT files can be altered in a text editor. I'm also aware that Poser 7 doesn't necessarily require the same process as in earlier versions (correct me if I'm wrong here). I don't want to get into altering code in a text editor: I'm graphically minded, so code just looks like ancient Greek to me! Question 2: (Which is sort of related to Q1) What's the best and/or easiest way to create a MAT pose file for Poser 5/6/7 users, that doesn't involve me trying to alter code myself? And finally, I'm currently on a PowerMac G4. I have a new Mac on order, and I'll be making the switch from the PowerPC to the Intel model. Question 3: Is this going to affect Poser in any way, i.e. will it still work OK? Many thanks for any advice!

replicand ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 10:07 AM

Two of your three questions aren't mac related, so you've sent away alot of people who could answer your questions. P7 is universal binary so it will work on your new system.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 4:55 PM
  1. they use pmd files, if I  understand question 1 correctly.  daz also requires inj/rem
    files for some of their figures, but I dunno if that still applies to v4.  daz will be able to
    tell ya how to do this on a mac, in case there's no OS X inj/rem util (I dunno).

2. laetia (caroline, erstwhile mac forum mod) wrote a tutorial or util to create mat pose files.
    send her an IM.

3. YMMV. some will try to tell ya how rock-solid poser is on an intel mac, whilst others will
    recite a litany of woes in that regard.

RCT ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 6:42 PM

Quote - Two of your three questions aren't mac related, so you've sent away alot of people who could answer your questions. P7 is universal binary so it will work on your new system.

Well, I've posted questions here before, and past experience has taught me that a large proportion of people don't bother to read the questions properly, and miss the fact I'm on a Mac. They then start giving me advice that I could only follow if I were using a Windows PC, such as particular software recommendations that don't do a Mac version for example. So I thought it would be more helpful (to me) to flag up the fact I'm on a Mac, precisely to deter such people from posting. I want quality not quantity:) Thanks for setting my mind at rest as to my 3rd question!

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 7:27 PM

Poser 7 should work much better on the Intel machine than on the G4. I had it on a G4 and it was pretty non functional but it runs smoothly on my new machine (but I am not sure about 10.5).

The easiest thing for the materials is this.
Set it up how you like, to to the material room, In there there will be a plus, on the bottom of the library area, click that, tell it material collection versus single material save it. That should be good for P6 and P7. For P5 you have to do a couple of tiny edits in a text editor. Change mtlcollection to figure and change Poser 7 to Poser 5, change the extension to Pz2.

For the poses, I am not sure. I haven't done much with V4. If they are the ones that come more baselike they should apply with a morph pose but I am not sure.

RCT ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 8:09 PM

Quote - Poser 7 should work much better on the Intel machine than on the G4. I had it on a G4 and it was pretty non functional but it runs smoothly on my new machine (but I am not sure about 10.5).
That's great news. My new Mac will be coming with Leopard, so I guess I'll find out:)
The easiest thing for the materials is this.
Set it up how you like, to to the material room, In there there will be a plus, on the bottom of the library area, click that, tell it material collection versus single material save it. That should be good for P6 and P7.

Ah, now this is puzzling: there's no plus sign at the bottom of my library when I'm in the materials room. In fact, there's nothing there at all.

replicand ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 8:11 PM

I hope my tone wasn't abrasive; it wasn't supposed to be. I'm a mac user since August - all of my Windows boxes in deep storage.

RCT ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 8:57 PM

Quote - I hope my tone wasn't abrasive; it wasn't supposed to be. I'm a mac user since August - all of my Windows boxes in deep storage.

No, not at all, anyway you can be as abusive as you want as long as I get the answers:) And congratulations on joining the ranks of the Mac: you made a wise choice:)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2008 at 11:30 PM

Weird .. Can I get a screen shot? It should be there.

RCT ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 8:51 AM

file_398549.jpg

Hi Ghost, here's the screenshots you requested: 1) is the shot of the character I created, complete with bought morphs, my own applied morphs, and my own applied textures. I have saved this to the Library. 2) is the shot of same character in the Materials room: there is no plus at the bottom of the menu. 3) is the shot of a new V4 figure, with the previously saved Pose file applied. As you can see, only the actual pose, and the morphs I created, have been applied: the commercial morphs and the textures are missing.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 10:59 AM

Quote - 2) is the shot of same character in the Materials room: there is no plus at the bottom of the menu.

The "+" button will be on the Library palette (just as it is for poses), not on the Material settings window (which your screenshot shows is hiding the Library palette).

RCT ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 11:13 AM

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I've ever felt so foolish:) Sometimes we miss the most obvious of things... guess I'd been staring at the screen for too long LOL. I have now clicked the plus, got a message saying the materials didn't exist, would I like to create them? I clicked Yes, and the file was duly created. I have now successfully applied the textures to V4, and then I clicked on the Pose file to apply the Pose. However, this still only applied the Poses I'd created myself, and didn't include the commercial Poses..... any ideas why this should be so? Is there some sort of restriction on re-saving commercial poses? Moving back to creating a single character for sale: which files have I just created, and what would I need to include in a product? Many thanks.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 12:34 PM

Saving to the Material library creates either an MT5 file (if you choose "Single material") or an MC6 file (if you choose "Multiple materials").
You find these in a subdirectory of Runtime/Materials of the Runtime that was active when you saved them.
These files only show up in the library palette under Materials (you must be in the Material room to for the Materials category to appear).
Converting an MC6 file to a MAT pose is quite easy with just a text editor (it shouldn't be difficult to find one of the threads that explains how).

RCT ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2008 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for that. Frankly though, text editing scare the hell out of me. Aside from the fact there's very few decent text editing apps out there for the Mac (although some new ones have appeared very recently, they're getting some dodgy reviews). I'd really like a simple little app that did this for me: isn't there one you know of? Isn't there anyone out there in Poserland who could create one?

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 3:40 AM

Actually, I'm sort of working on that. Using the builtin Python scripting language, so it'll be fully cross-platform (the same code working the same way on both Windows and MacOS) Could take a while before it's finished though.

I've tried a Windows solution (INJ Pose Builder), but I couldn't get it to work. Rather counterintuitive too.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

stewer ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:39 AM

Quote - Thanks for that. Frankly though, text editing scare the hell out of me. Aside from the fact there's very few decent text editing apps out there for the Mac

I know it's a matter of taste, but I know many people swear by BBEdit or TextMate. TextWrangler is a good free text editor for Mac OS.

RCT ( ) posted Mon, 28 January 2008 at 11:55 AM

I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and give it a go. I really would be happier with a nice graphic interface and a button to click though:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.