Mon, Sep 23, 9:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 6:56 am)

Subject: Curious behavior in the galleries.

Silke ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 9:25 PM

I don't really pay attention to the rating, because most people will just give a 5 star rating, regardless. And I think you can't rate without giving a comment. (Not sure, I don't rate/comment much.)
I do occasionally give a 3 or a 4 (I liked the old version better, bit that might be confusing overall) when something is off. But most of the time I simply don't rate even if I comment.

Silke

drifterlee ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2008 at 10:54 PM

file_399600.jpg

I think it's time for a ..........

Lyne ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 4:54 AM

My two cents worth...and hi Rick...I put my money where my mouth is, with your work!  ;)  but as to the psychology behind it all.....i am a shy person... I do READ if the person posting wants only good comments or is up for both good and constructive comments kind of thing.... YET I can't hardly EVER make a constructive comment...if I really want to, I will contact the person by IM...and as diplomatically as I can, I make suggestions.... then about the number rating... I would never with my 'ole brain rememer every time to turn off the ratings.... and then I also can't feel comfortable without giving 5 stars for any picture I comment on... for me, it's because I know that the artist did the BEST THEY COULD....so that is what I am doing that for... if I REALLY LOVE THE PIECE I make it a Favorite.... that to me means much more.... lastly, when I look at my own stats... I care more about how many clicked to see the BIG PICTURE that really shows the work and detail not only I, but the creator of the items I used, put into the work.... and lastly..(oh well, another lastly! ;).... I do enjoy the interaction HERE best of all... sometimes I gain new friends this way....and some days I will just take a whole evening and click each person's name that commented on my image, and go see their gallery, and unless it is all nudes (sorry that is just me) I will leave a comment or two - as a thank you for their comment AND this is also the way my own Favorite Artists get out of hand... but that is another story! :)

I am sorry, I was not aware of this sort of thing, so off the top of my head (which is ONLY my head! ;) I am thinking it is a general comparision to all the art the person viewed? I NEVER go look at rosity's areas for most viewed, most commented or whatever they are... that not only takes too much time but I think is mostly a popularity contest.... and lastly... oh good grief.... sorry!!.... the bottom line for not going there is that naked ladies get all the votes anyway... grin

Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Richabri ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 12:13 PM

*''I NEVER go look at rosity's areas for most viewed, most commented or whatever they are... that not only takes too much time but I think is mostly a popularity contest.... and lastly... oh good grief.... sorry!!.... the bottom line for not going there is that naked ladies get all the votes anyway... grin'

Hi Lyne, well that is another area of concern and I'm sure that it could easily spawn another thread in this forum :)

Whatever the rationale, I just think that it's fundamentally wrong to give a glowing comment on an image and follow it up with a low rating on that same image. The two should have some correspondence with each other. I suspected that there was some ulterior motive involved in these manipulations but I guess the jury is still out as to why.

I'm just going to leave the 'Allow Ratings' unchecked from now on and avoid being unwittingly sucked into the game :)

• Rick

gibby.g ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 12:45 PM

Maybe it's done by accident, if you select five and move the scroll wheel on the mouse before accepting the score it can change. As it seems to happen to the same people maybe the same (shortsighted?) individual is causing the problem?

Rational explanation or wishfull thinking?

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 5:14 PM

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU KNOW IF SOMEONE GAVE A LOW RATING??? I can' tell. PS Lyne, I still remember and thank you for the time you called me all the way from CA to explain how to install your animals into my runtime and apply textures. I was a real newbie, and you helped tremendously!!!! Alas, most of my pics are nude gals! I started nudes when I couldn't get the clothes on right and just kept doing them, LOL

Richabri ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 8:16 PM

Sherrie, you can only tell you were given a low rating by noticing your overall rating. You can't tell which rating any particular viewer gave you or even if a particular viewer gave you a rating at all.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned that it was the anonymous nature of the rating system that contributes to the problem in the first place. I don't imagine someone would give you a comment like " Wow! Fantastic work! " and then follow that with a low rating - at least not intentionally I hope :)

• Rick

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 9:38 PM

Thanks, Rick. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I knew some people were giving me some low ratings to knock me out of the highest rated, even though I was in the most commented. It's a hobby for me, but getting some nice ratings makes up a little for my life of drudgery here in cold and miserable Michigan - was 5 below just before sunset tonight.

Tissaia ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 9:56 PM

Quote - WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU KNOW IF SOMEONE GAVE A LOW RATING??? I can' tell.

I've noticed it while commenting others work, not under mine pics.
English isn't my first language (obviously) so writing a comment takes in my case more time. It happened couple of times that before I wrote, re-read my comment and finally pushed "submit" another person in a meantime had posted his/hers and added a rating. Sometimes I could spotted sudden drop of stars despite of "oooohh and ahhhhh" comment posted by that person.

ps. I think it can be seen only when a couple of comments are posted, because one star can change rating dramatically.

Hope it makes a sense...

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2008 at 11:29 PM

I didn't read the rest of the comments, but perhaps they can leave a rating without a comment
(probly isn't allowed).  and woodya lookit that hamster in the cardboard roll. :lol: 
I just KNEW they were good for something!

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2008 at 5:29 PM

Actually, I love hamsters, but they don't live very long - about two years - and then I cry and am so sad I decided not to get anymore.

kjer_99 ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2008 at 11:25 AM

Miss Nancy, you don't have to leave a rating in order to make a comment on someone's work.  You can do one or the other, or both. 

Lyne ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 9:42 PM

Attached Link: my pin up

Actually I clicked to leave a rating before writing a comment one time and it kicked me back and said "I HAD TO MAKE A COMMENT TO LEAVE A RATING".... who knows WHY I did that... I am dyslexic and/or maybe I was not feeling well at the moment... as normally I would leave a comment.

Oh LOL... you are so welcome, drifterlee for the phone call... it was fun for me, I love meeting people that way...well..no, not that anyone would have trouble with my critters, but, oh, heck, you know what I mean! ;)   Well... some pin ups are so well done, I should take a peek! Actually I did a pin up or two WITH my animals in to get attention for my products... hee hee!! As the old saying goes.... *** sells...   ;) 

I will put a link to mine for fun...

:) Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

drifterlee ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2008 at 10:08 PM

Gorgeous, Lyne!

Madbat ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2008 at 2:49 AM

I've been trolled like that too a few times, and it's always the same...a low rating and an "Awesome Image" kind of comment. I mean, if theres something wrong with the image, I wish people would point it out, or suggest something. I've got into some very interesting discussions with people who have honestly critiqued me, and not only did I come away with information i never had before, but I met some really decent people that way.

BTW, Lyne I like the pinup heh heh!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.