Sun, Sep 22, 1:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Collaboration. Is it worth it?

Susan_Carter ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 2:35 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:30 AM

Hi guys. I'm mainly a modeller and sculptor, my brain is very much wired towards the artistic, conceptual side of things and really falters when technical things are required. I'm using Z-Brush and Maya to create a few creature type characters and I can get them looking pretty good. I want to take them into Poser and sell them to get a bit of extra pocket money, trouble is, rigging in Poser SUCKS!

I hate labouring over groupings and joint parameters and setting up CR2's etc. So what I'm wondering is if there was any point in getting someone to collaborate with me, doing all the nuts and bolts stuff while I make the pretty pretty. Would it be worth anyone's while to do this? Would it just be adding complications? And are there any people interested in doing that side of things?

Ideally, the person would also be able to give me some idea of getting the work flow learned so I can perhaps take on more of that side of things later on. Right now, it's such a pain to work on a really good looking model then get lost in all the code trying to get it to do the funky chicken in poser. Also, if I do morphs and alterations of existing characters, I'm completely lost as to whether the character is distributable or if it's breaching copyright. Maybe even having someone I can email my files to who can tell me if I've done the right thing, or if I've done the wrong thing and I'm going to get sued for selling a character that contains all the code you need to extract a fully functional Vicky from.

So, is there anyone out there who wants to set up shop but doesn't have the time or inspirado to make their own monsters? Would the idea work?

Susan_Carter ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 3:01 AM · edited Mon, 18 February 2008 at 3:03 AM

Here's a pic of the guy I'm working on at the moment. In case anyone wants to know what sort of artist I am.

Grub the Demon.

PhilC ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 5:08 AM

I provide a Poser rigging service. The fee to rig a basic humanoid with fingers is $100. Upon completion I do not require any additional royalties or credit in the readme, it is simply a flat fee.

pcooke@philc.net

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 5:29 PM

There was a document on setting up poser figures using grouping and a phi file. It was on e-frontiers downloads , heres a link

http://graphics.smithmicro.com/filemanager/list/updates/59/66/93/?sbss=300

You still have to adjust joint zones though, but it gives you a rigged figure pretty easily .

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2008 at 6:14 PM

IMVHO phil's offer is the best I've seen, as it can take ages to do those
things, especially all the fingers.  not to mention the eyes and teeth.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2008 at 6:35 PM

When I said pretty easily I wasnt suggesting it was easy , just easier than using the setup room :)

Phils offer is excellent .

Susan_Carter ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2008 at 7:27 PM

Hmmm, I was hoping for a collaboration like a 50-50 partnerships thing. But I can see how Phil's offer may be better in the long run. I'll have to get some money together first though. Maybe I should focus on some more static props - and sell them this time, instead of giving them away :D.

Thanks guys!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2008 at 2:42 PM · edited Mon, 03 March 2008 at 2:44 PM

Rigging is usually a PITA  for your avarage poser content creator. I think there's a lot more people whom can model and make things then there are those whom can rig, and are willing to give up the creative part work to someone else (which tends to be the more fun part).

Phil C is a guru around here, in case you didn't know :), and probably one of the most efficient people whom can rig things.

About collaborating, it's often a crapshoot whether the figure will sell enough to make it worth while, and being that rigging is the most boring part of the proces for the usual creatives tyhat you find around here, I think a lot of them are not exactly eager to get into collaboration where the part being given out is rigging.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2008 at 4:15 PM

I'll just qualify your statement, Conniekat8:

Rigging is usually a PITA for your average 3D user. ;)

I have yet to meet a rigging system that was easy to get good results.  Anybody can add bones and restrict them by point or polygon set and get 'results'.   But a good rig requires experience and skill.  Poser's requires a bit more specialized experience since it uses a system unlike any other.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.