Sun, Sep 15, 12:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 15 7:04 am)

Subject: Let's get wet!

wolfmanjim ( ) posted Sun, 24 February 2008 at 1:40 PM · edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 8:38 AM

I seem to recall a simple way to make v3 (and v4) look wet.  I would like to know because I want to have a sweat sheened V4 here in P7.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:40 PM · edited Mon, 25 February 2008 at 9:40 PM

Simple:

How to make shiny / oily skin

Not so simple:

[

](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2695888)
pjz99 - Thanks!

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 2:52 AM

file_400761.jpg

You mean like this?  If so, stick a wet specular map into the Poser specular channel.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 10:57 AM

Wow, Runs!

Where do you get a wet specular map?

Ricky_Java ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 11:59 AM

dburdick, that is undoubtedly the best wet skin I've seen! It's amazing because it includes realistic specularity, a variety of water droplet sizes, and realistic rivulets. Very nicely done.

Can you please tell us more about how you achieved this? In particular, I don't know what you mean by a "wet specular map".

RJ

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 1:53 PM · edited Tue, 26 February 2008 at 2:02 PM

Ah:

dburdick - Did'nt you have an SSS product, too? 

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 3:39 PM

Quote - dburdick, that is undoubtedly the best wet skin I've seen! It's amazing because it includes realistic specularity, a variety of water droplet sizes, and realistic rivulets. Very nicely done.

Can you please tell us more about how you achieved this? In particular, I don't know what you mean by a "wet specular map".

RJ

Wet specular maps are just specular maps with water drips and drops added.  I actually built these maps in Vue using my SkinVue product and then adjusted them using Photoshop so they could be used inside of Poser.  I built a product around this for Poser called "V4 Wet&Tan Bombshell" which uses these wet specular maps and a very simple skin shader to achieve the wet look.

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 3:47 PM

Quote - Ah:

dburdick - Did'nt you have an SSS product, too? 

No.  I have an SSS product  that works in Vue called SkinVue which is a skin shader.  For Poser renders, I generally use FaceOff's HyperReal stuff  which you can't beat for skin realism in Poser. 

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 4:32 PM

Nice job!  How did you get the map, was it a tile at all; my guess is not, because the runs look really nice?  I'm asking because I'd like to see this for V3!

dburdick ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2008 at 10:26 PM

Quote - Nice job!  How did you get the map, was it a tile at all; my guess is not, because the runs look really nice?  I'm asking because I'd like to see this for V3!

Yes, the map started out as several photographic tiles I created for SkinVue.  I've collected and taken a number of wet skin photos with drips, drops and puddles.  Then I converted them to gray scale and made them relatively seamless.  In Vue, I just tiled the main V4 textures with overlays of these tiles and rendered out some texture maps and some grayscale specular maps.  You can do the same thing in Photoshop but there's a lot of trial and error to make sure the wetness patterns don't produce bad seams. 

As far as V3 is concerned, I'm considering the possibility of creating a generic wet skin shader that will work for Unimesh (V3, etc) and V4 which would allow the injection of wet skin for use with any skin texture map.  It's not easy to do this generically in Poser but it's possible to come up with something that's a reasonable fake.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 9:55 AM · edited Wed, 27 February 2008 at 10:02 AM

file_400840.jpg

Wow, dburdick, just wow!

Of all the procedural shader solutions I have attempted, there are two that have completely and totally stumped me. One is generic procedural tree bark. The other is water droplets on human skin. Oily/damp, no problem. Droplets on glass - no problem. But actual droplets on human skin - this is frigging hard.

First, none of the built-in 3D pattern generators are right for making the droplet geometry, either as a bump or as a displacement.

Second, I can't find a way to get the proper reflect/refract appearance without using a second surface. Any attempt I make to do a dual-mode shader directly on the skin geometry seems doomed to failure.

I revisit this every few months, only to be thwarted again and again. I can't tell you how many beautifully detailed "diseased skin" shaders I've produced instead of proper droplets.

I worked on it again yesterday. Here's James with a single-shader solution. This time, I tried using a variation of my "random polkadots" shader to produce the droplets. They are tiny distorted half-spheres. I made "layers" of it, each at different scales. The distribution is not sufficiently random, and you can see some gridlike regularity to their placement. I think I can solve that problem. But the general appearance is just wrong.

By the way - just to give you a sense of how complicated this is, my shader is 105 nodes.

Were you going to do this procedurally? What are your thoughts on how to generate the geometry, and how to get the refracted look without actually using a second layer of geometry and using real refraction?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

dburdick ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 11:10 AM

Quote - Were you going to do this procedurally? What are your thoughts on how to generate the geometry, and how to get the refracted look without actually using a second layer of geometry and using real refraction?

Baggins Bill, I think that looks pretty darn good for being fully procedural I have tried and failed many times as well to come up with a fully procedural way to generate convincing wet skin.  So I came up with a more of texture mapped solution which uses a number of seamless grayscale wetness patterns I developed (based on photos) .  In Vue I can use these mapps generically on any character and randomize the appearance.  The maps are used to drive the specular channel and to slightly modify the diffuse colors of the underlying skin texture maps.  In Poser, I wasn;t able to figure out how to get my generic wetness maps to tile seamlessly using world mapping, so I just built a V4 specific set of specular maps. 

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 27 February 2008 at 4:54 PM

bagginsbill - It's great to hear you are still working on the shader you shared with me, some time ago!  Have you taken any steps toward calculating Runs, yet?  I think this is all that your shader is missing, really!

samberg1 ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 1:23 PM

Hi dburdick,

Im looking for a wet skin tex for Miki 2, have you any plans for a wet skin shader for her.
I bought the V4 wet skin last week and im very pleased with the results.  I have a lot of stuff for Miki 2 so id like a wet shader for her too. Maybe you could just do the spec map for her, that would be enough to get me going.

Many thanx, Jay.

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 11:26 PM

Totally unrelated to the thread and I apologize in advance but I had to say that "Let's Get Wet" is one of my favorite songs from Home Made Kazoku.

Ahem...something on topic...think. fast....hurry...okay uhm...

That looks really good. Uhm. I like the wetness. okay, I'm gonna shut up now. Great texture though. Really.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.