Wed, Sep 4, 1:00 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 03 9:02 pm)

Subject: Why it takes loads of time to open file with 3 DAZ V3/M3 textured characters?

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 10:32 AM · edited Tue, 03 September 2024 at 10:33 PM

Do i need to add memory to my comp???

I have 2GB RAM on my g5 mac. It takes quite a long time to open scenes with 3 characters , textured and with clothing. 

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 10:41 AM

What program? Poser 5,6 or 7?

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 1:37 PM

One thing which can make it take a long time is if Poser has to search for a texture, especially if it doesn't find it.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 2:00 PM

Poser can sometimes take a long time to load a pz3 if the file references have been broken (moving a Runtime, for example).  However, if your scene has three Mil3 characters plus textures and clothes, chances are it's a pretty big scene by Poser standards and will therefore take a while to load.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

jonthecelt ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 2:49 PM

Are these 3 characters simply the base models, or do they have every single morph injected into them? That will take up time to laod, as well. If you have created the characters you want, there are several scripts available which will strip out the unused morphs, shrinking the filesize and loading time...

JonTheCelt

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 7:30 PM

ohhhh so that's it .. the morphs? interesting. yes i have tons of body and Head morphs on my characters

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 8:12 PM

Yep, morphs and texture size are the two big things.  I've done a few scenes with multiple characters who have been heavily morphed, and I've even gone so far as to remove the unused morphs and still the scenes have taken forever to load and to save.

I've been meaning to try and learn how to bake multiple morphs down into one character morph, I think this would save a lot of memory.  How would one do that?  Export the character as an obj and then re-import as a morph target?

I'm going to go try that right now and I'll let you know if this helps.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 10:09 PM · edited Thu, 28 February 2008 at 10:13 PM

*"I've been meaning to try and learn how to bake multiple morphs down into one character morph, I think this would save a lot of memory.  How would one do that? "

*If you've actually got the Figure to where you're all set spinning dials; it is possible to boil it down to one morph per part, actually fairly simply, but this is not an automatic process.  You need to Spawn a Morph into each part, and then delete every other morph; all one at a time, to do it with a default installation of Poser!

Onto automation...SVDL is the man in command; with some help from Ockham.  SVDL actually has this whole process is his sights, but I'm sure he'll get sick of me if I remind him one more time.  So, for now, we make do with all the free tools(each individual parts of the whole) we have:

SVDL's Free Removemorphs.PY - Select any figure, run this script, and any morphs with a value of 0(unused) will be deleted!  This is really the best tool; because it is, usually, the biggest one shot memory saver!  My V3.PZ3 is like 250MBs, with all her morphs injected; it's got nothing init except a nude V3.  After just running this script the scene was then  less than 75MBs!

SVDL's Free SpawnCharacter.PY - This script will save you the time of Spawning Morphs, into each Figure > Part, by hand; by creating a INJ/REM set to do the job!

Ockham's ZeroMorphs.PY - This will change the values of morphs to zero.  When you run this script you can choose to Zero every morph in the Figure; or you can pick and choose which Parts'(Of the currently selected Figure) morphs you want zero!

Theoretically, to consolidate Figure to one morph per Part, here is all you have to do:

1.)  Back your scene up!

2.)  Select a Figure, and run SpawnCharacter.PY.  Save the INJ/REM set, but do'nt inject the INJ it just yet.

3.)  Make sure that same Figure is selected, and run Ockham's ZeroMorphs.PY; when the dialog open just hit OK, and all of the Morphs in your figure will will take on a value of zero.  BTW - I think you may need to poke at the Preview Window, sometimes, after this script has run(move a camera or select something different for the change to show;) either that or I'm just impatient.  But fear not the script works really well!

4.)  Make sure this same Figure is selected, and run SVDL's Free RemoveMorphs.PY.  RemoveMorphs.PY has what is called a .EXC file associated.  this file is specific to each figure, and needs to be present, for the figure you are using.  what is will do is stop the script from removing Phoneme morphs too; but if you were to open the .EXC, with a text editor, delete everything, and save, then those will be deleted too!  If there is no .EXC for the figure you want, SVDL has another Free script for making one(but I hav'nt needed it and do'nt remember it's name off the top of my head.) 

5.)  Now inject the INJ you made with Spawncharacter, and tada!

I'd said this was theoretical, because the last time I tried it did'nt work; but I just ca'nt imagine why;  although these are all important tools, relative to this corner of Poserdom.

To actually get from 75MBs, down to about 12MBs; I actually needed to:

1.)  Export a MorphTarget.OBJ, for each part, one at a time...Although since I did this, by hand, markschum wrote a script called myexport.PY; which will fill a folder up with all those OBJs(all named nice) very quickly.

2.)  I ran Ockham's ZeroMorphs.PY.

3.)  Then removemorphs.PY(with an empty .EXC file)

4.)  I even broke out Morph Manager 4, and hunted down even morph things to delete.

5.)  Then I imported each of the exported MorphTarget.OBJs, one at time; meanwhile setting he value of each to 1 as I went.

LadyElf ( ) posted Thu, 28 February 2008 at 11:34 PM

Has he updated these scripts to include the men or V4 or does he have any plans too?

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 12:03 AM · edited Fri, 29 February 2008 at 12:04 AM

I just sent SVDL an IM, with a link to this thread; asking him for a link to the script that creates .EXCs. 

The Men, nor V4's .EXCs are included with removemorphs.py.  But like I said; rather than add each .EXC file, for each figure, one at a time; he just wrote a free python to create .EXC files, for any figure! 

Actually the V4.EXC has already been created.  Someone had already been put together, on his/her own; I rememeber because then another member asked for a copy, but the thread has'nt been bumped since. 

I've asked SVDL for links to the thread his EXCCreator.PY was introduced, and of the thread the V4.EXC had been written; but I've a feeling thesee threads are one in the same.

LadyElf ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 1:05 AM

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 1:10 AM

Cool, Angelouscuitry it sounds like a lot more work then I thought, but it makes sense.  One question though:

If you were to Spawn the character Morph on say V3, why couldn't you just create a new scene, load in a blank V3 and then inject the morphs into her?

svdl ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 9:59 AM

Hmm, 'rosity ate my post.

First of all, RemoveMorphs.py works perfectly without a .exc file. It'll leave the JCM morphs in place, but without an .exc file it'll delete all other morphs, including the expression and phoneme morphs.

Second: here's the link to the exclusion list editor: www.svdlinden.nl/webposerstuff/downloads/exclusionlist.zip

I haven't put that one in freestuff since it uses an early beta version of a library I'm writing (P6XML). The final version of P6XML will break ExclusionList.py, so once the library is complete, I'll put out an update to exclusionlist.zip.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 2:17 PM · edited Fri, 29 February 2008 at 2:28 PM

Uhrg, R-Sity ate my last three e-bots, too!

Thanks SVDL, sorry to read your server went down.  I got a kick out of your saying it would be out for a couple...hours!  That'd have meant a couple weeks, or err months, for me!

"First of all, RemoveMorphs.py works perfectly without a .exc file."*

Ah, thanks again!

Will the exclusionlist.zip still be at the same address when you're reconfigured?

"If you were to Spawn the character Morph on say V3, why couldn't you just create a new scene, load in a blank V3 and then inject the morphs into her?"

Look at what it is you're concentrating on.  All you want to do is focus on consolidating morphs. None of the steps I listed stray from that task.  And this is the quickest way I know.  Otherwise Conformed Figures, Smart Props, Materials, and the Pose of the Figure; then the other Figures', and Props' and the Camera Transition, Lights, and Render Settings of the scene, all start require extra special attention.  Whereas this method(especially just running removemorphs.py...) would work fine right through the middle of a very well developed, and complex, .PZ3; without any need to go into a Library 😄.

And it all depends on just how far you need, or want, to take it.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 29 February 2008 at 6:27 PM

Check it out, markschum has his myexport.py script DL back up; and not only that but he's paired that with new script, to import all of those exported OBJs and set their values to 1!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.