Sun, Sep 15, 11:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 14 4:17 pm)

Subject: Why for does Vue do this to volumetrics? :)

ranman38 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 1:49 PM · edited Wed, 07 August 2024 at 6:46 PM

file_402467.jpg

If you have a cylinder with thick smoke volumetrics material applied, (left smoke column) it looks good. Now, add another cylinder, (right smoke column) sphere, anything, and the smoke gets all crappy. I would like to know how to make some good smoke columns, and not have to resort to metas, and slow down my renders. Thanks.

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 2:13 PM

Which version of Vue and which OS ?

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 2:22 PM

Monsoon will soon have a product available at 3D Commune that has some fantastic smoke materials (I beta tested it).  One of the things I noticed is that he does not use volumetrics, but rather fuzzy materials.  They also rendered much quicker than the volumetric materials. 

This is a link to some preview pictures...
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3189486&ebot_calc_page#message_3189486

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

ranman38 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 2:36 PM

Vue 6 pro studio XP

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 2:36 PM

Two of the factors are going to be the mapping mode used and the noise/fractal/turbulence node parameters.

ranman38 ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 4:24 PM

Default on both mapping and n/f/t, it is just curious to me why another object being near the original causes this. Both objects have the exact same material.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 7:36 PM

Unticking the "Use distance field" option seems to make things behave the way that you might expect.
Some adjustment of the other paramters is in order to get back a more smoke like appearence.

Rutra ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 4:47 AM

file_402510.jpg

I just tested it in my system and it works just fine. I used the "thick gray smoke" default in Vue, without any changes, in default cylinders. Maybe you have to go into more detail as to what do you do exactly so that any of us can help.

sittingblue ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 6:42 AM

I don't why Vue does that with volume materials, but I've seen it many times. 

I believe the final volumetric material scale is dependent on the scale of the volumetric container.  How so?  I don't know.  Maybe somebody knows about this relationship between volume material and volume material container.

Charles

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 9:39 AM

Quote - I just tested it in my system and it works just fine. I used the "thick gray smoke" default in Vue, without any changes, in default cylinders.

The oddness happens when you put one cylinder on top of the other (even if you turn them both into one meta object).

The answer is in the definition of "Use distance field" :- > Quote - Use distance field: when this option is enabled, the volumetric density takes into account the depth

inside the object. The density will automatically increase as you go deeper inside the object. When
this option is checked, the Field depth parameter becomes active, letting you indicate the depth at
which the density function reaches its maximum value.

This introduces a dependence on the shape of each individual object which isn't what's wanted in this case.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.