Tue, Oct 1, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 30 7:03 pm)

Subject: JAML !!!! READ YOUR SITE MAIL !!!!

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 9:48 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 2:28 PM
Forum Moderator

Jaml,

Please read your site-mail immediatelty.

The Bryster
Forum Coordinator

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 12:36 AM

Why should he? We are all wondering by now. Has he won the UK LOtto?

TheBryster ( ) posted Fri, 21 March 2008 at 9:26 AM
Forum Moderator

FYI, it was important that Jaml read his site mail and this should go for everyone. When you visit your forum or in fact anywhere on the Rend, you should keep a weather eye on the site mail member link just in case.

The Bryster
Forum Coordinator

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 6:53 AM · edited Sat, 22 March 2008 at 6:54 AM

Forgive me for butting in, but if Rendo admins feel that way, you really ought to get the owner's to fix the site. After the last redesign, there was a distinct reduction in the perceptibility of the site mail indicator. It used to be that the "you have site mail" indicator was much more obvious. Now it is moved to the far right and is small.

Notice, also, that on a typical wide-screen laptop (as I use almost always now) there is ZERO content on my screen when I come to a Rendo forum message.

I see:

A welcome message with my name in it, the day, date, time and how many artists on line.
A big pretty logo.
A search device.
An advertisement.
10 major site link menu buttons.
A welcome message to the forums in general
7 forum links
A welcome message to the Poser Forum
A list of moderators.
A link to the poser faq and when it was last updated (2004)
A forum banner image.
A very large message in fine print about this forum.
Six Poser community links.
Six forum internal links.
And finally the actual message I'm reading, of which I can only see the title.

Way off to the right, also in small letters, is a bunch of stuff, among which is the tiny little site mail indicator. Heading to read the post I'm interested in, the first thing I do is PAGE DOWN - scrolling all that stuff away, including the site mail. But in the old layout, I'd NOTICE the site mail, because it was in the midst of the main flow and it was big.

Given normal human perception and behavior, I'd be willing to bet that the new presentation of the site mail indicator is nearly at the bottom of the scale when measured for perceptibility.

At the very least, the indicator must move BACK to the main flow, not be in the side bar where it is now. And second, it should be at least as big as the three (3!!) "Welcome" messages I see PERMANENTLY smashed onto my screen.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

geep ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 8:35 AM · edited Sat, 22 March 2008 at 8:38 AM

file_402526.png

*(please click the image to read what he says)*

Maybe Papa NaySay could help?     😄

He could pop up and yell at you ...................................................................... or not.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

geep ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 8:51 AM

file_402529.png

Or perhaps ??? ... Is there room for another button there?

Just a thought. 😄

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 10:12 AM

Simple solution, bring back the Big Purple Flashy Thing.
And make sure it's not near any advertising banner locations.

drifterlee ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 1:12 PM

I prefer to think he won the Lotto.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 1:14 PM

Yep, it was much better when the notification was on the left side instead of the right.

I have a wide screen with a high resolution and I see the whole site on my screen, including the far right links with the "site mail" notification, without having to scroll.

However when I had a smaller screen with a resolution that wasn't so high, I had to scroll way off the the right to see that mail noticiation. I didn't always do that.

Also, the text is so small that it's easily missed.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 6:31 PM
Site Admin

Personally I like Geep's idea, have something pop up on the screen. Of course maybe pop up blockers could block that. Maybe they could redirect you to site mail anytime you have some no matter what link you clicked on. Man that would be annoying.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 6:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showforum.php?forum_id=12472

Ladies and Gents, we have a Suggestion Box forum, ya know.

Maybe you'd like to post yer ideas there.  Just sayin'

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 10:00 PM

Quote - Ladies and Gents, we have a Suggestion Box forum, ya know.
Maybe you'd like to post yer ideas there.  Just sayin'

Been there, done that -> http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2932406&ebot_calc_page#message_2932406

Same suggestion was made before the "Suggestion Box" existed -> http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2848294&ebot_calc_page#message_2848294

Can't seem to find my T-Shirt though 😉

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 22 March 2008 at 11:16 PM

sigh Everyone's a critic. :)

My Store

My Gallery

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 7:33 AM · edited Sun, 23 March 2008 at 7:34 AM

Yeah and this made me laugh too:

StaceyG, trying to help people understand why it can't be done said: "Due to the way the tables work in this new software platform, we can't put it where it used to be. And we can't move it all the way over to the left rigth above where it used to be or it would be lumped in there with the the number of users online, username, etc."

I am not a web interface (HTML+Javascript) programmer, nor am I a "UI designer" (you know, those people who wear black clothes and have an earring in their nose.). I am just a lowly systems architect, who makes systems of computers with millions of parts talk to each other. So the exact difficulties of moving a piece of text into position, with a certain distinct font, may have escaped me. It may be that I, being an engineer who deals with durations of nanoseconds, and events that occur trillions of times an hour, am just not in tune with how the intricacies of a static placement of some text on a web page. It may be that I do not understand "DIV" and "SPAN" and absolute positioning and DHTML and AJAX and the dozen or so toolkits out there that demonstrate how to MOVE ITEMS AROUND ON THE SCREEN IN REAL TIME, in response to events on the server, such as the arrival of a new message.

Nope - I better stick to organizations like NASA and American Express and Disney and Blockbuster and Target. When I "suggest" to them that something should be done about a problem, and what should be done, and how long it will actually take (as opposed to how long THEY think it will take) I don't get much of an argument.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 9:56 AM

Sooooo.... has JAML read his SITE MAIL yet do you think?

My Freebies

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 10:00 AM

I suspect that when they say they can't put it in the same place as before, they mean that because of the way the page generation is organised the necessary information isn't available (or hasn't been fetched/loaded into the session information) at the point when that part of the page is produced (username appears in the header, so I suspect not fetched).

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 10:09 AM

Quote - Sooooo.... has JAML read his SITE MAIL yet do you think?

He's posted in his gallery 3 times since this thread was started, which kind of confirms the point.

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 12:26 PM

Just seems a bit remedial to have a sticky devoted to demanding a single user read his sitemail, in a forum read by many thousands of people...

My Freebies

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 12:31 PM
Forum Moderator

Pjz99: YEAH But he got the message......and as a plus, it got you lot taking about it. And this sticky will removed shortly.

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 12:45 PM

Bryster, you're a heretic afterall.
I knew it all along... :lol:

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 1:49 PM

Obligitory Lolcat to close the thread :-

LEMME CHEX MAH MAILZ
see more crazy cat pics

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 2:54 PM · edited Sun, 23 March 2008 at 2:58 PM

fab image, noel!  :lol:
geep, minor correction : it's spelt "youse", not "yuze".
19th century new york "english", second person plural.

p.s. I believe it's unwise to single out an user by putting said user's name
in a sticky (or even a regular message) that's disciplinary, as it may tend to
subject said user to humiliation and ridicule.  we don't know what said user's
circumstances might be, e.g. illness, family matters, loss of service et al.

geep ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 4:30 PM

Miss Nancy, minor correction to your minor correction : in NaySpeak it's spelt "yuze" not "youse"

Okeh? ... Ok. ... 😄

cheers,

edited 10/5/2019

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 5:09 PM

Quote - fab image, noel!  :lol:
geep, minor correction : it's spelt "youse", not "yuze".
19th century new york "english", second person plural.

p.s. I believe it's unwise to single out an user by putting said user's name
in a sticky (or even a regular message) that's disciplinary, as it may tend to
subject said user to humiliation and ridicule.  we don't know what said user's
circumstances might be, e.g. illness, family matters, loss of service et al.

20th Century Northern English (Specifically, Merseyside and parts of the NorthEast) and Scottish English. :biggrin:

My Store

My Gallery

Plutom ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 6:20 PM

I, eerm, just read mine.  One dated in December, the other in January-- replied today after finding the thing on the right side---don't move it now--I know where it is!  Jan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.