Sat, Aug 3, 2:02 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 03 7:14 am)

Subject: How many of you are writers?

Deimos ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 5:37 PM · edited Wed, 31 July 2024 at 12:05 PM

I was curious how many writers are there here at renderosity.com? I also would like to know what type of writing the writers here do.

goldvice ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 6:13 PM

This place is not as fitting for writers as say the WGA, but I happen to have a degree in creative writing. I have written short stories, and motion picture script. I'll ad mit that I am mostly interested in discussing it with only someone who is interested in hiring me.

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 6:41 PM

I've written 5 feature screenplays, about 10 or so short screenplays (two of those I've produced myself) and have hundreds of scripts that I have started, but are not close to being finished.

Deimos ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 6:43 PM

Thanks for your reply and I can understand about only wanting to discuss it with some one who is interested hiring you. At the moment, I am not looking to hire any writers; so I will not take up your time with a discussion about your writing. Best of luck with your writing. Deimos.

Deimos ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 6:52 PM

That sounds really cool JKeller, for the two you produced how long were they? What did you do with them when they were completed? How long are your shots screen plays? Oh I hope your Ogre is a main character in at least one of your stories :) Or are the Live Action productions you normally do? Do you have a webpage about your work? In any case thanks for the responce. Deimos

whoopdat ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:13 PM

I'll just toss myself into this discussion. I write fantasy mainly, but also do short stories of anything, though mostly contemporary ones. Sitting on a few thousand pages of stuff...not too bad for being young. :) And um, I don't get it, but, only wanting to talk about it with people who want to hire you? Interesting point of view that I think I'll leave alone, except for this short paragraph.

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:16 PM

I write sci fi, paranormal.

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:24 PM

Oh it sounds really cool when I say it like that, but it's not much really.

The first short was a college project. Live action, shot on high-8 and edited with the camcorder and an extra VCR. There was no dialog... well there originally was, but I cut it all out and found some ways to use action to tell the story better than the dialog could have. It was about 5 minutes long.

The second short was a 14 minute, live action, independent project. It was shot on super VHS with a bit more professional level of equipment (I had a dolly, track, lights, boom, shotgun mike, etc) and edited on an Avid. It features (bad) dialog, funny action sequences (they weren't supposed to be funny) and three shots at end that turned out beautifully in contrast to an otherwise cheesy movie.

No webpage at the moment, but I hope to remedy that soon with a few short animations I've done in Poser...they're not long enough to really have any story to them though.

I made the Ogre for a project I have in mind...not the main character, but he may turn out to be a key figure in the story.

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:25 PM

I write bad poetry and mediocre personal point of view articles. I used to write romantic sci-fi short stories back in high school, but I outgrew that phase. ;-) One thing I don't write is letters to relatives, just ask my Aunt Nancy. grin Kate the dilettante

dwilmes ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:39 PM

23 novels in the last 40 years, none published or even submitted, I write to get it out so I don't drown in my own thoughts. Dan http://www.neca.com/~dwilmes/cr2edit.html Sorry Win only for software http://www.zenwareonline.com for ZenPaint, ZenTile, ZenGrid and VueMaster

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 7:51 PM

I write a script, in my head, for every pose, or, even, sketch, that I do. And, the stories often grow, spawning more pictures. Actually, in college, my writing for classes got very good grades. However, since English is my second language, writing in words is harder for me than writing in pictures. I think you will find a good number of us actually think in "story" terms, when we are doing our art. Pop...Pop...Poppi!

Goldfire ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 8:09 PM

I write; I am actually principally a writer rather than an artist. More skill in the former than the latter : ) I do novels and novelettes for fun, mostly scifi/fantasy, and mostly for my own enjoyment, though I used to contribute to a SF fanzine some years ago. And my college English department tried to recruit me at the end of my freshman year because of my 'talent.' Having heard how one of my friends who WAS and english major was treated because she wanted to write mostly SF, I stayed WAAAAY away from them. SF isn't 'real literature,' you know. A lot of the pics I'm doing right now are 'illustrations' for a story I'm working on; if I ever get a personal webpage up I'll post the story. I have enjoyed trying to get the story across in artistic form rather than the written word. It's a completely different kind of 'composition' and a different kind of storytelling. My father was a writer, a historian; mostly WW II histories, plus a couple biographies, and actually got one of his books published. I have the manuscripts for three others and occasionally have thought about putting them up on the Web. I also have to write as part of my job; I produce newsletters for two work related groups. When I'm in the right groove I get a lot of compliments. One gal who does a LOT of volunteering says our newsletter is the only one she reads for recreation as well as information. Which I consider a great compliment.

Butch ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 8:21 PM

I write SF and Fantasy stories, not published, because most I never finish one thing before another idea hits that I just have to work on right then and there. I got poser 1 orginally to help me make a picture of what I thought my characters would look like.

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 9:12 PM

Never really finished anything but I keep coming back to it. I did finish a fanwank teleplay for Buffy The Vampire Slayer however and am currently writing an online supplement for Dungeons and Dragons. -WTB

melanie ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 9:20 PM

I published a fantasy adventure last November. Pangaean Chronicles, Book 1: Pangaea, by Melanie Nashland Warren, (Anubian Press, ISBN 1-888071-03-6). You can get it at amazon.com. Melanie That was a shameless plug for my book!!! ;)

RealitysPoison ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 10:22 PM

Throw me in the mix. I have a slew of published poetry and prose in various collections out there. Also a trilogy at the editors now, among about 15 thousand manuscripts sitting around that I haven't quite finished yet ranging from fantasy and sci-fi to cult fiction to non-fiction, and a sort of bio/non-fiction book that is almost wrapped up on manic-depression. (whoops, sorry, that wasn't p.c., let me correct myself, on bi-polar ;)

Deimos ( ) posted Thu, 14 June 2001 at 11:37 PM

Wow lots of great talent from the sounds of it. You know what might be neat, but a little risky because of copy rights is if there was a Story section in the Gallery for short stories and such to use but simply to read get a sample of the persons writing style and ability. JKELLER it sounds like you really know what your doing. I hope you get that webpage up. Congrats, MELANIE I have thought of trying that. I began gaming in JR High, I still get together with the guys once in a while. I don't find it interesting any more I just do it so as not to loose the friendships. But I use to have great outcomes I rembebre I used to have an average of about 2 dozen people wanting to play in my games in highschool now theres only about half adozen. But I my notes for the game were never developed with the intent of others using it so it would be a lot of work. Congrats REALITYSPOISON you must have been excited and proud of your work being published :) I am glad you decided to join in on the conversation GOLDVICE it was good to hear from you it's cool you get to work in field you like. Wow DWILMES tech writing and fiction impressive. Thanks for ever one else commenting I think it's cool there are so many writers, for those aren't published I think it's cool but I hope you at least share your writing with your friends and family :) Deimos. P.S. Sorry for the poor spelling. (normally I would apologise even though I now I am poor at but since your writers I figured I would this one time) It would be realy neet to see some of your Ideas develop :)

Scarab ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 12:48 AM

I'm not.... Scarab<-(there, I've said it.....)

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 1:15 AM

I wrote comix for years, started out as underground then became mostly x-rated (a money thing - really!). Edited, wrote, drew, inked, commissioned and published for about 17 years. Before that I wrote and drew a comic strip for the San Francisco Police Officers Association (called Pigtails) that ran for a few years in their monthly paper but stopped when one drew the ire of a minority officers association and actually appeared before the Supreme Court as a piece of evidence (you could look it up), an oddity in itself as I'm obviously a member of a group commonly perceived as a minority. No harm, no foul though. These days writing and drawing (currently revamping) a daily format comic strip called Footlights, has run off and on for years in small press dance publications. Once wrote a comic about the first black superhero who could fly in -- ouch! -- 1969! Larry F Oh, and letters to my Norwegian in-laws -- in Norwegian.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 2:24 AM

Attached Link: http://www.buckrogers.demon.co.uk

I have written some space stories and Ghostbusters stories etc. Some of them are at this link.

Daio ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 7:35 AM

I write for a living but not fiction. I'm a science writer. I do write fiction (unpublished)too but not as much as I used to.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Dr Zik ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 7:55 AM

Hi Folks! Does journalism and public relations count? I've been a feature writer for over 20 years. I currently write and edit articles for a private school's alumni magazine. This summer I intend to write a short "textbook" for the 3D Deisgn and Animation course I will teach next spring. Peter (Dr Zik)

anim8or ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 8:02 AM

Wow Deimos, you opened a can of worms! ;) I was a comedy writer for about 5 years out of college and one of my partners is a freelance writer for Late Night with David Letterman and was a staff writer for the now defunct Chris Rock show on HBO (Chris Rock himself cancelled the series). Me? I took the computer route. So here I sit at my relatively boring multimedia developer job, waiting for a sight gag to erupt.

Goldfire ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 8:24 AM

Ooooh, Dr Zik, how about making that available to us after you write it? I'm always looking for more pointers about these programs, being a complete nubie. Sometime I'm goint to write a 'tutorial' called 'troubleshooting' about some common nubie problems that are sort of glossed over or not covered in the poser manual. Like when you add a new object to your libraries and poser doesn't like it, giving you the 'out of memory' error.

TheWolfWithin ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 8:51 AM

i've been known to paint black sludge across my notebooks, spilling my fear and paranoia like the intestines of slaughtered livestock......i bleed black ink for those who have wronged me, and for those whom i've wronged......my pain becomes poison for the eyes of those who would dare pry into my secrets.....for reasons that i can't explain, i can only write with black ink....only with certain pens......i leaf through my notebook until a page tells me that it wishes to be written upon......and if i try to use the computer to compose a piece.....the words simply will not come................but am i a writer???? hardly.......

Deimos ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 9:27 AM

LARRY F impressive, you have a done a lot of work it's cool. It's to bad you had that minority problem or politcly incorrect problem what ever :( ANTHONY APPLEYARD I bookmarked your page as a favorite I am going to give it a read a little later thanks! KRAKADARR It sounds like you have a good base for writing Sci-Fi using either your experiences or those close to you family and friends and you knowledge of Science you should be able to create some good Sci-Fi's stories. You should give it a try. Maybe even have another more experienced writer you respect colaberate on it, It may be fun cool and who knows maybe evern profitable. DR. ZIK Of course your writing counts, what matters is that your out there doing it wether for money or for the art of it. Long as you keep enjoyable. Though with a background in Journalism I would think you could come with some really great Fiction, ad in a twist of Public Relations, and have one of the main characterestics either the Government or maybe a Corporoation. (I think the Corporation would be cooler now a days every thing is about shady Governments) ANIM8OR anim8or, cool I always like to see you in the forums. Your software is amazing. I must say though; I don't use it from beginning to end of my modeling I usually use it for Editing my models it's great and I was using it on my old PII 233 with 64 megs of ram. Comedy writing is cool and with your connections I am sure you keep on writing things will continue to get interesting. THE WOLF WITHIN I can just see you writing a few stories or poetry getting published then teaming up with a few other international writiers and writing the next Necronomicon :) well I can see you as being able to do that, don't know that it would suite you or your itnerests. Deimos.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 9:37 AM

When I was younger I had dreams of becoming a professional writer, but the desire to eat regularly led me to computers instead. I've found that the number of things I cannot do is very small, but larger than the number of things I can do well... I believe writing falls into that VERY small category, but I'm not good enough (yet?) to make a living at it. In general I write horror, fantasy, or super-hero related stuff (my one "professional" work was a horror adventure for a super-hero role-playing game).

azl ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 9:54 AM

I retired from technical writing last year. I've also written several magazine articles and wrote the role-playing supplement "GURPS Aztecs." The secret to being successful in writing, as with Poser, is to be persistent and to think of your writing as a marketable product as well as an art.

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 12:23 PM

and lest he think we forgot, there's Bonestructure's novel, "The Gutbucket Quest" he co-authored with Piers Anthony that was published last year.

Daio ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 1:01 PM

I'm not sure that I'd be a good SF writer. I know a bit TOO much. I'm a scientist (Ph.D. in Nutritional Biochemistry) turned Science writer. A lot of times I read SF and sit there going - that would never work because... Really ruins the story for me because I can't help but nit-pick. Do the same thing with stories with horses in them. Read a fantasy novel where the hero's rode 200 miles in one day on the same (supposedly normal mortal) horses! I've done competitive trail and endurance riding and know that even with a horse in top condition doing more than 125 miles in a day is damn near impossible and even 100 miles is really pushing it for anything but a superb endurance horse. While some horses can run at 35 miles an hour they can't keep it up for more than 1-5 minutes. A more reasonable speed is 8-12 miles/hour and even then to ask even a well-conditioned horse to do more than about 8-12 hours of that is unreasonable. Push them too hard and they'll drop dead from exhaustion. Oops sorry, I've started ranting and raving but that's one of my sore spots.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 1:09 PM

Ranting? I actually found that very educational krakadarr... that's good stuff to know.

Deimos ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 1:49 PM

Hi Nance, how are things going your right on about Bonestructure's book. Have your read? I found it interesting. He's done a bit more writing as well I think. He is an amazing artist and a good writer. I am proud to say that he is a volunteer on "The Realm" his contributions were a good deal of help. I would deffinantly recomend him if some one were looking to hire on a writer or CGI artist. krakadarr, wow I would have though more than 80 miles imposable. Wouldn't you have to a Steroid's Horse for that and Superb Rider? I know nothing about Riding. The thing about creating a story and again I am not a writer, is to have some unrealistic variables but the the writer must have "Rules or Laws" to sustain a suspension of disbalief. You should give it a try at least once and see how it goes over.

White Raven ( ) posted Fri, 15 June 2001 at 2:57 PM

::timidly raises her hand:: I write, I love to write, but I've mostly written fanfiction until now. (I'm rather nervously setting forth into the novel-writing field, I have about 200 pages so far.) My images are mostly from there - but I have one or two from my X-Men fanfic.... White Raven

seedpress ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2001 at 2:53 AM

Attached Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DolittleProject

Yes I'm a writer! You think being a starving artist is tough? Try being an artist, writer AND inventor. And now I'm trying to make a movie using Poser, Bryce, and various other cheap programs. It's just plain fun. Want a peek at the real future? See the attached link--and read message #6.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2001 at 7:56 AM

I've had a few short stories published in local publications, and was a writer and eventually editor-in-chief of the Journal of International affairs. I have a love-hate relationship with the movie "The Matrix" ... when I saw it I was blown away by it like everyone else, but at the same time I was somewhat depressed and practically outraged since I had written (or had written most of) that story 8 years before the movie was even conceived. Granted, some of the elements and definetely the characters were different, but the core story, technology, theme, etc. were nearly identical. So similiar in fact I at one point thought it possible (and still have not ruled it out) that my master's thesis advisor (who is a published SF and non-fiction writer with contacts in "the biz") talked to someone who talked to someone, who talked to the Wachowski brothers, after hearing details of, and seeing notes for, my story: "Project DreamLine." Far-fethced? Maybe ... but I'll always wonder ... dang-it! Just goes to show you, NEVER put off a good idea when it comes to writing. A page a day, a page a day ... and it WILL get done. Wow, thanks for letting me get THAT off my chest in a public forum. ;-) -Tim PS> I have a Masters in English -- writing concentration. My latest project is a script (which was a year and a half in the making) for a featurette-length (about 55 mins) animation (using Poser, Bryce, 3DSMax, Lightwave, Adobe AE, Illusion, etc.) coming out early next year. Thanks to those of you helping with set design. The voice talent is going to be the real budget killer though! Any actors out there???

ScottA ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2001 at 8:25 AM

I write all the time. The problem is I can't read it when I'm done ;-) ScottA

melanie ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2001 at 8:28 AM

timoteo1, I know what you mean about thinking someone may have ripped you off. Before my book got out there, I discovered someone else beat me by a few months using the title "Pangaea" for a novel. I saw it at Borders and I frantically started scanning through the pages to see if any familiar names or ideas showed up. Fortunately, I think the title was merely coincidal, but I had told a few people about my ideas before it got published, so I really got scared and frustrated for a moment. Best of luck on the animation. It sounds fascinating. Melanie

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2001 at 8:35 AM

Thanks for sharing that with me. That would defintely make my heart skip a beat. In my case, at least "The Matrix" was a well done movie -- a sensational effort to say the least. It would have been far worse if they had made a horrible, trashy Sci-Fi movie like so many are these days. I did have the odd satisfaction of seeing "my work" made into a movie. It was a bizarre feeling to say the least. Thanks for the animation wishes. It's a lot of fun, but a LOT of work.

fredoman ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 8:02 PM

Might as well chime in here. I've made a profession as a screenplay writer for about 3 years. Sold three screenplays (Calle Ocho, The Seekers, and This Thing of Ours) but none have been produced. I'm now working on an adaptation of a real event in World War II (another damned war movie) for a production company in New York, and hopefully, this will be my big break. There's also been three short scripts (one produced and directed by yours truly) a children's book (incomplete) and a fantasy book that wasn't really that good. And numerous short stories. I see lots of good advice by other writers in this post, and while I'm not talented or experienced enough to give any, I will recite some given to me by a published teacher of mine called Les Standiford: The key to writing is to write every day.

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 8:16 PM

The best piece of advice I was ever given ("Write every day" is a close second, IMO), was "Get a copy of Strunk and White's Elements of Style." Great little book, that, and very useful. Need to hunt down my copy for a refresher, actually...

timoteo1 ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 11:14 PM

My favorite saying about writing is: "I really don't like writing ... I like to HAVE WRITTEN." Could not be more true for me. -Tim

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 2:00 AM

Timoteo1 wrote: "My latest project is a script (which was a year and a half in the making) for a featurette-length (about 55 mins) animation (using Poser, Bryce, ...". What is the story about? When and where will be be published? Where could people watch it or get a copy?

melanie ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 11:29 AM

I have had two copies of Srunk and White over the years, but I found it too simplistic. It doesn't really allow for individual style. But it is a good starting point with some good, basic grammar rules. Melanie

timoteo1 ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 12:46 PM

Anthony: Well, those details (where and when) are a long way off. This isn't going to be Final Fantasy, but I want it to as close as possible. I imagine a short trailer will be ready at the end of the year, but the final film probably won't be finished for a year. Believe me, after all the work, I will definetely let everyone here on Renderosity know where they can view it. All of the major characters are being created now. I'm in the preliminary stages of planning and setup (set creations, logistics, etc). There are 6 major characters, 10 supporting, and tons of extras (as I said, the pro voiceover talent bill is going to be huge!) The voice recording will hopefully start at the beginning of the fall, allowing me to get a lot of the speaking scenes (for which there are MANY) rendered before the end of the year. In the meantime, planning and prep will continue and hopefully I'll be able to work on and complete at least a couple of the more complex effects shots. -Tim

Deimos ( ) posted Tue, 19 June 2001 at 1:21 PM

Attached Link: http://www.martinsdesigns.com

timoteo1, have you created a pitch package. Is there a sample or a synopsis we can read? Have you created a business plan or a pland to develop this yet? I would like to hear more about your work. Thanks Deimos. P.S. Please check out my website.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.