Sun, Oct 6, 8:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question for MAC Computer Users

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 5:32 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:24 AM

Can I ask what the appeal of a MAC computer is?

There are so many things that are made for PC users that MAC users can't use. Lots of poser related items from installers to scripts to who knows what else.

When I was looking for a new computer early last year I saw a nice looking MAC at the computer store.  And while I gave it some thought, I passed on it because of all the problems I've seen where people can no longer make use of certain things because they are PC compatible, not MAC compatible.

So given the limitations of  MAC, why do so many people switch to them?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

stormchaser ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 5:41 PM

Quote -
So given the limitations of  MAC, why do so many people switch to them?

Just to be awkward I guess.

No, seriously. I'd like to know this as well.

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 5:53 PM

IMHO it's a "clique" thing. Kinda like early Iphone adopters.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

RonGC ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:07 PM · edited Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:11 PM

Can run Windows as well as  Mac OSX, get two computers for price of one. Why limit yourself?

Since you already have a copy of Windows operating system you could have bought the Mac and installed windows and never have lost access to anything you regularly use.

Ron

wdupre ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:11 PM

there is a level of smoothness and ease of use built into the mac which makes it a pleasure to work with, more like dedicated tool, The PC is truely clunky by comparison. but saying that I still stick with the PC because most of the software that I like to use is developed for the PC platform. I am tempted by the intel macs now though with the ability to run both platforms.

nemesis10 ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:12 PM

I don't normally answer these sorts of questions but being a long time mac user in a mixed mac/pc environment, I would say: 1) a superlative workflow with systemwide color management (useful in graphics), 2) a consistent interface (I once had to help someone save a document in a swedish program even though I didn't speak the language), 3) excellent albeit expensive hardware (notice how often they appear in ads or movies of how the editor of PC World runs vista on a macbook pro), 4) a virtually virus-free environment (even when Macs were 50 or 60% of the market), and 5) people forget that most of the major programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Metacreation’s Poser started out as mac only programs. I personally hate it when people treat the choice like a religion whether to use a mac or pc since it is a complicated equation of what you want to spend, what you want your computer for, how much you want back if you sell it, how much hassle you will put up with etc...  Just as I like that there are options such as Poser and Daz Studio, or the plethora of 3d rendering programs, it is good to have a diversity of platforms for computer users. The limitations are annoying partly because it is the pressure of the market and what I think are short sited business decisions that create these limitations but those are becoming less and less as users can fire up Boot Camp, Parallels, or other methods to use pc programs without having to stay in the environment. Of course, 99% of figures, models, textures etc... already work on a Mac.

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:18 PM

First office computer was a MacPlus for desktop publishing. Back then the other side was still in dos command line. To flip the question around, some people are comfortable with Daz Studio and others Poser. Some of each side of the DAZ-Poser divide would fight to the death not to switch to the other camp. I have known the interface and been comfortable with the system for 20 years.  Don't own Nortons, Zone Alarm, or what ever the virus stuff of the Day is people on the other side have to use. Don't struggle with registry issues. I do work on-have to fix winTel boxes from time to time here at work. I happen to think the Mac is way easier to use. Trust me, Mac's  have OS issues just like Windows has OS issues. That said, somebody who started on Win95, would probably have the same comfort level with Windows and say exactly the reverse. With the Intel Macs I can have my ease of use and when required either use Fusion, Parralles or crossfire to run windows apps. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember when Pagemaker first came out it only ran on a Mac. I think maybe the first version of PhotoShop was the same way, only on a Mac. There were other Desktop publishing packages way back then that only worked on Macs also. I like where I am at. It's where I started and I have no desire to switch and can run any windows program when I have too.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

IsaoShi ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:22 PM

A quick answer is: Macs are not "limited"; they are just different.
Another quick answer is: anything you can do on a PC, you can do on a Mac - and that includes running Windows (XP or Vista) and any PC programs.

A longer answer is:
I am an IT professional, I look after PCs and Windows networks and users at work, but at home I switched from PC to Mac two years ago, and I would never contemplate going back. My iMac is much more reliable than any PC I have used or supported - not a single crash or bug in two years; it's much easier to install and uninstall software and hardware devices; I have never used any anti-virus or anti-spyware software (which slows things down); software updates are never a problem; I could go on, but you get the idea. I have never had any problems installing any DAZ Studio or Poser content on my Mac, although I know there are some things available for PC only.

For the few occasions I really have to use a Windows program at home (e.g. MS Access, for the database systems I write) I just fire up my Windows XP virtual machine under Mac OS X and have it running in a window alongside whatever else I am doing.

I'm not an evangelical, I appreciate that many people prefer what they are used to; but I would certainly say to anyone give Macs a try if you get an opportunity - you won't regret it, and I believe you will be pleasantly suprised.

Sorry for the ramble...

"If I were a shadow, I know I wouldn't like to be half of what I should be."
Mr Otsuka, the old black tomcat in Kafka on the Shore (Haruki Murakami)

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:29 PM

Quote - Can I ask what the appeal of a MAC computer is?

There are so many things that are made for PC users that MAC users can't use. Lots of poser related items from installers to scripts to who knows what else.

that's funny... I was thinking the same about Windows-based PC's. For instance, goodies like NFS for instant disk space expansion, a handy terminal session with familiar commands, spare CPU cycles I can use for rendering (and not for running an AntiVirus package)... stuff like that - no joy on a Windows box for 'em. Of course, I do realize that most folks have little-to-no use for such things, but I find tehm to be helpful.

The few Windows-based utilities I do want to run are sitting comfortably on a Win2k-based VirtualPC instance (I have an older G5 box - newer ones can use Parallels to get the same thing).

So, in effect, you can get both Windows and Mac apps running on a Mac.

Quote - When I was looking for a new computer early last year I saw a nice looking MAC at the computer store.  And while I gave it some thought, I passed on it because of all the problems I've seen where people can no longer make use of certain things because they are PC compatible, not MAC compatible.

Such as ...?

I made the jump in 2003 - at first it was a PITA, until I began looking around a bit. For instance, there is a free UVMapper (UVX) for Macs. RTE works just fine on OSX. I even run GIMP just fine on a Mac, and at first I never thought that would be possible.

At first I fired up Windows 2000 in a virtual instance at least once every couple of days... I think it's been sitting dormant for the past 8 months now (and the last one was to open an old Rhino file I couldn't find the .obj export of).

I basically re-thought my workflows, and sat down to figure out what I really needed and could easily live without. I found that with very, very few exceptions, I really didn't need Windows for much of anything.

I think the last graphics professionally-imposed Windows requirement I had was in 2005, because the D|S manual (and many of its graphics components) was half-built in Adobe Framemaker, which had no OSX version (Mssr. Hernandez is still on my sh!t list for doing that :) I mean, it's not like you can't build a PDF with Acrobat, or even OpenOffice at the time).

Most folks I know that have made the switch have gone through the same process to some extent - at first you think there's no way you can do without this or that little app... then you realize/discover that there are already equivalents out there, or that you really didn't need to use the thing in the first place, because you no longer have the limitations that Windows placed on your previous workflow.

/P

stewer ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:33 PM

Pepsi or Coca-Cola?

Some things are a matter of taste, simple as that.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 6:37 PM

Quote -  Pepsi or Coca-Cola?

Some things are a matter of taste, simple as that.

Pretty much, yep.

/P

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 7:05 PM

I didn't read the above replies, but the main reason is approx. 1.2 million viruses, rootkits,
trojans, spywares and worms affecting windows vs. approx. 25 (4 orders of magnitude less )
affecting OS X (all patched).  how does one put a price on the damage done by windows
malware?  perhaps a few dollars more is worth the security and stability.

there were approx. 5 dozen malwares affecting the now-extinct pre-OS X versions of mac OS,
for any historians here.

regarding the various softwares not ported to OS X, the clever user always finds a way,
hence it's no handicap.

p.s. for the literate here, MAC is an acronym for media access control.

replicand ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 7:13 PM

When it was time for my next computer, I knew I didn't want Vista. I wanted something more than Windows 2000 but less than XP. I was dabbling with Linux but (I thought) there weren't enough cool apps. I also found that I was carrying around alot of apps that I didn't really need. The only one I miss is the Universal Texture Converter, which as mentioned can be run with the assistance of Parallel, Bootcamp or Smith/Micro VWware Fusion.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 7:16 PM

I though Mac was for "MacIntosh" as in "Apple". ;P

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 7:37 PM

I stick to PCs since I can build them to my own specifications. I LIKE tinkering.
Mac hardware has it advantages - Mac components are of high quality, and Macs tend to be put together quite well. But as a customer you don't have much choice.
For ages, Macs have been too expensive. That is no longer the case, Mac hardware is on the same price level as high quality PC hardware.

As for the OS, until Mac OSX I never took it seriously. Often compared it to Alfa Romeo cars - sleek looking design, but you couldn't drive from NY to Philadelphia and back without losing some components. Mac OS 9 stable? I've heard too many stories of 4-5 crashes a day.
Again, OSX changed that. Now the Mac has a good preemptive multitasking OS.
Funny side note: the first OSX version was developed on a PC, since there were no development tools on Mac OS 9 that were up to the job. One of the reasons you don't need Mac hardware to run OSX.

From time to time I have considered buying a Mac. Every time I didn't do it. Reason: when I buy new hardware, I buy FAST new hardware. I bought my first Q6600 system over a year ago, for about € 2000. A Mac with similar specs didn't exist, the one with the closest performance specs was a dual Xeon Mac Pro of € 5000.
This hasn't changed. If you want a mainstream performer, hardware costs for Macs or PCs are about the same. If you want a top of the line performer, you can have PC hardware at half the price of comparable Mac hardware (or less).

Viruses? Most of them are targeted at WinXP 32 bit, and recently at Vista 32 bit. I run XP 64 bit, which is immune to almost all of those viruses. Second, I know what I'm doing when I'm surfing the Net. I don't run resident virus scanners, I use a hardware firewall, every month I do an online virus check, and I haven't had a virus in YEARS.

I'll stick to PCs.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

replicand ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 7:45 PM

I miss building custom systems. I also miss the idiosyncracies of mixing components from different vendors affecting interoperability.

It was weird when I first began using the Mac because I didn't need to devote so much time for system maintenance. I could actually spend that time developing. That blew my mind.

OSX is a more solid performer than its predecessor because UNIX runs underneath the GUI. 30+ years of debugging and refinements.

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 8:02 PM

I thought mac stood for Man, Are we Cool? ;)

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 8:26 PM

I always get asked this question a lot:

Short answer:

I got a bluetooth wireless adapter for an older MAC.  It came with a CD & 3 1/2 pages of instructions on how to install the drivers so that it would work under windows.

MAC instructions:

Plug device into a USB port. 

That was it.

Long Answer:

I guess it depends on how much time you want to waste on getting your computer to work.  I work under the belief that the computer works for me, I do not work for the computer.  I use the right tool for the right job.  I have much more in the way of options with OS X than I do with whatever crap Microsoft foists upon the computing world.

My time is valuable, so I don't like to waste it with all of the housekeeping chores that are necessary for keeping a Windows PC operational.  I have a Windows Partition that I use with Parallels (virtualization software).  I just opened up my copy of XP for the first time in 30 days.  I had to install 7 security updates & reboot the the virtual machine.  I have to do this EVERY TIME I crank that copy of XP up.

I do not have to deal with Registries. I do not have to deal with reinstalling my operating system every few months because of bit-rot, etc. 

Viruses:
There are no OS X viruses in the wild.  Viruses can be built for OS X, but it is much, much more difficult because of OS X is built on a version on Unix.  Unix doesn't allow direct access to Ring 0 for anything but the operating system.  Any script kiddie can "build" a windows virus.  It takes much much more computer skill to attempt a Unix virus.

I do not have to deal with Active X exploits, VB exploits and all of the other windows vulnerablities.

Fit & Finish:
I like having a bulletproof Operating System that doesn't get in my way.  When I went wireless, it took me less than 5 minutes to get all of my Macs connected.  Have you ever attempted to build a home wireless network under Windows?  The only thing I had to do when I added a network printer was to plug it into the router.  All of my macs picked it up, but the PC box I have takes up most of my computer admin. time.

A Microsoft operating system is nothing but spagetti code.  The programmers at Microsoft write clever code, not clean code.  Clever code breaks much easier than clean code & it is hell to fix. 

Did Microsoft ever deliver a journaling filesystem?  That was first promised for Windows NT back in 1992, then for Windows 2000, then Windows XP.  It is my understanding that it still hasn't arrived in 2007 with Vista but is promised for Windows 7 (in 2010 -2011 timeframe).

I reached the conclusion that all Microsoft Operating Systems were junk when I tried to upgrade from Windows 3 to Windows 3.1.    None of my Windows 3.0 programs would run under Windows 3.1 & I was expected to replace all of my programs.  This was back in the day when Word perfect cost 495, 1-2-3 cost 495, dBase IV cost 495.

I got to replace "640K is enough for anybody "with "32K GDI is enough for anybody".

I replaced Windows with OS/2 and never looked back.  When Apple came out with OS X, I slid over from OS/2. 

With each version of OSX, my computers work FASTER, not slower. 

APPLECARE:
One of the biggest reasons I own a mac.  If the computer breaks, I send it back & they either fix it or I get another computer.  A couple of weeks ago, one of my USB ports on my 1st generation MacBook Pro died.  When I send it to back to Apple (they overnight EVERYTHING), I will probably get a 3rd generation Macbook Pro (I doubt there are any 1st or 2nd gen logic boards still around).  This means that my 2.0 Intel Core Duo with 2 gigs of RAM will be replaced with a 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2 that can take 4 gigs of ram.  I suspect that Poser will like 4 gigs of ram better than 2 gigs.

Return on Investment:
I like that I do not have to buy a new computer and new programs every time Microsoft releases an operating system. 

How many versions of Vista are there?  How much do the cost?  The cost of OS X (home edition) is $129; OS X (business edition) is $129.  OS X media edition is, you guessed it, $129.

Currently, I am running a 9 year old G3, a 6 year old G4 & a 1 year old MacBook Pro with the latest version of OS X.  Try running Vista on a 9 year old computer.  Vista will never install on my 3 year old Travelmate 4000.

Limitations:
All computer systems have limitations.  For me, it is very, very easy to hit them in Windows.  OS X not so much.  I can run OS X programs, that just work, I have Unix crunchy goodness with both X11 & the command line if needed & I can run any windows app via parallels if one is needed.

Right now, the only limitations I have for my machine are the #$%^$ing OS9 installers that DAZ uses.  DAZ are both too lazy & too arrogant to address the issue.  Apple told EVERYONE 6 years ago to move away from OS9, it would no longer be supported, but DAZ pretty much ignored that.

The only reason I have a PC laptop is for some very, very old DOS & windows programs that will not run under vista and are so old that they cannot recognize any file system other than FAT. (Eastern Sun, a varient of Diablo II & Gal 2.4).

Note on Steve Job's Reality Distortion Field:
I use OS X to get my work done.  If someone develops a better product, I'll dump OS X like 5th period French.  I have 0 loyalty to Apple.  I have changed platforms before & have no qualms about doing it again.  The computer works for me, I do not work for it.

Kaji ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 8:30 PM

I just switched from Windows to Mac because I couldn't deal with Vista. I watched my laptop slowly self destruct before my eyes and I couldn't do a thing to fix it. I'd spend most of my time beating Vista in order to get it to do something. With my Mac I just turned it on, it set itself up and I don't need to do anything.

There's not much I need to do in Windows that I can't do on a Mac. I gave up PC gaming long ago. :)

Sometimes you get tired of working on computers and want to work with them, you know?

Elfwine ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 10:40 PM

Acadia, I read the HORRORS you went through with your new Dell. My heart ached for the tears you shed and I thought, "Why doesn't she make the jump?" "Do it! Do it! Do it!", I cheered from the sidelines. What is the appeal of a Mac?, you ask. This reminds of a story written by a reporter who went to interview both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. He was most struck by the two companies very different approaches. While in Mr. Jobs office, Steve was describing the new Mac line-up. There was a long shelf behind Mr. Jobs with all the models lined up on it. He spun around in his chair and began, almost reverently, speaking about each one, his hands passing over them. To Mr. Jobs, each Macintosh had to be, first-most, a thing of beauty. Sleek, elegant, silent, and powerful. He stopped talking and was silent for quite some time as he brushed his hands over the new form factors. The reporter knew that to Mr. Jobs a Mac, above all else, had to be clean and elegant. A sympony when powered up. When he visited Microsoft's headquarters, the impression he had was quite different. Neither Gates or Balmer were interested in esthetics. They constantly talked of destroying their 'percieved' enemies. Their obsession was completely and utterly crushing companies and then pulverising the ruins. And schemes were bantered about on taking total control of markets. All markets, any market that they could muscle into. Microsoft left no doubt that they want to own everything, right down to the wires. That is their only objective. Now, who would you want to give your hard earned money to?

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

mamba-negra ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 10:50 PM

My mac is just over a year old, so I'm a new convert.

I didn't do it because they are cool. I'm about as geeky as they come. I have built machines, administered various linux and unix systems and I write C++ code professionally. I started off as a windows fan back before windows 95. I went with the mac because of OS X. It's an amazing improvement on windows. It's as simple as that. It seems goofy, but the OS makes a huge difference in how frustrated you get with your time on the computer (or not). That is why I switched.

It's not flawless, but for me, it's simply a platform with which I can actually do stuff without having to fiddle with fixing something else first.

As for what you can't do with a mac, like folks have said, you can install windows on it and switch back and forth (or even install windows as a virtual machine). I didn't do that. The only thing I lost was xfrog, which kinda sucks. But, one of my goals is to write my own plant building software, so that is probably just more incentive to start that, lol.

svdl ( ) posted Wed, 30 April 2008 at 11:46 PM

With a PC, I get to decide what goes in and what doesn't. With a Mac, Apple decides.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

RonGC ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 1:27 AM

Quote - With a PC, I get to decide what goes in and what doesn't. With a Mac, Apple decides.

Not quite true, in the Mac  line you can get a build to order with many, many different options than just the stock offerings listed in the store. The few shown in the store are just the tip of the iceberg. So to speak.

Ron

Niles ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 1:56 AM

I bought a Mac and gave it try, but when my nose started touching my forehead I gave it to a friend.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 2:48 AM

Quote -
Right now, the only limitations I have for my machine are the #$%^$ing OS9 installers that DAZ uses.  DAZ are both too lazy & too arrogant to address the issue.  Apple told EVERYONE 6 years ago to move away from OS9, it would no longer be supported, but DAZ pretty much ignored that.

Heh - OSX is (eventually) moving away from Carbon too... it's gonna be FUN watching both Poser and D|S get around that little bugaboo.

PS: IIRC, Apple told 'em 8 years ago, not 6 ;)

Quote - I didn't do it because they are cool. I'm about as geeky as they come. I have built machines, administered various linux and unix systems and I write C++ code professionally.

Hell, I use Ubuntu 8 on my desk at work (and used Fedora Core before that), and even got Evolution to play nice with the byzantine mess that my employer likes to call an Exchange deployment.

Unless/Until DAZ or SM coughs up a product version for Linux, I'll use a Mac for my 3D/CG needs, thanks much. :)

--

Quote - With a PC, I get to decide what goes in and what doesn't. With a Mac, Apple decides.

For the vast majority of folks, it's no different choosing bits to go into a Dell or HP than it is to choose bits to go into a Mac. If you really like to tinker and think you're man (woman?) enough, park OSX into your homebrew box. Google for "OSX x86" if you want to know how to do it. You'll laugh, you'll cry, but most of all you'll dance and whoop hysterically once you get it to boot. It's a tinkerer's dream... and once it gets built, it runs rock-solid (if you picked yer parts right). :)

/P

Kaji ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 6:56 AM

This is why Windows suffers so many problems. Anybody can grab random junk parts from a garage sale and slap it together and call it a PC. This will be interesting when Windows 7 comes out, as it won't be binary compatible with the previous versions of Windows. I'd like to see them lock out crappy hardware as well.

mamba-negra ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 8:01 AM

So you see, the only reason NOT to own a mac is if you want to build your machine or not be a snob! Woohoo! :P

Honestly, I don't get the whole "superior than though" thing. I don't think I'm any better than anyone else. But, I know for a fact my OS is better than someone who still uses windows!:P Maybe those dumb commercials are having some backlash:(

OS X is based on a very mature OS (BSD). One that has had vast amounts of time under the microscope of lots of highly trained computer scientists. Vista and NT might have had 10 years or so to mature, but we are talking something like 30 years for BSD. And, the amount of tweaking and improving that has gone on to make the OS as solid is something that MS can't replicate with any sort of budget.

As for linux, I use it at work-and have for several years. In general it's OK. My only complaint is 64bit linux has real issues with video drivers and I'm regretting switching over from 32bit:( Will be undoing that as soon as I can lose a day to reinstall.

When it's time for a replacement for my machine at work, though, I will probably ask for a mac. I spend almost as much time using my macbook as I do my linux box.

Gini ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 8:24 AM

Why a Mac ?
well, all of the good sensible reasons above ....
And yes , actually also because they are a very nice bit of kit . I do enjoy them.

I use a new iMac at work for the graphics/design work I do and have an assortment of iBooks, a Powerbook and a MacBook at home that I and my family use .  For 1 month my teenage son borrowed a pc laptop off a friend as he thought it might be easier as all his in-school work was done on a PC .  I ended up doing all the maintenance on it for that month ... complete with two bad virus attacks, multiple crashes and having to do full system re-installs...   a total nightmare timewaster .  Never again ! 
I spent more time messing with that one piece of equipment in a month than I do on all of my other Mac  computers put together in a year .

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

ajtooley ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 9:22 AM

Quote - So given the limitations of  MAC, why do so many people switch to them?

That's part of the problem right there. Many of the limitations are perceived limitations, not actual ones. I see quite a few things posted here on Renderosity that say "PC only" that I know will work fine on my Mac. It's reasonable for you to see those and assume that the creator knew what they were talking about when they said it wouldn't work, but oftentimes they're just saying "PC only" because they don't know and don't have the ability/concern to find out.

In some other cases the limitations are real, but IMO caused by a myopic view toward the market. I bought --or tried to buy-- a digital photo frame as a gift last year, but had to return it because the onboard software couldn't handle images processed by those little-known image-editing programs called Photoshop and iPhoto. In that case, the manufacturer made the mistake of confusing a small percentage of market penetration with small actual numbers, when they should be recognizing that there are still millions of Mac users. It makes some sense, if you're a software designer working in your basement with limited resources, to concentrate on the bigger market, but by my informal calculations (I did some real math, but won't waste your time with it here) that photo frame designer was thumbing its nose at a hundred milliondollars of potential annual sales because they didn't want to spend relatively few man-hours on making it work with a market that, while certainly smaller, has already demonstrated its willingness to spend money on cool gadgets.

SeanMartin ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 9:44 AM

First off, as noted, better virus control. While not unheard of, Macs are pretty much virus-free, and when one does plonk into the system, it's pretty easy to find it and eliminate it.

My ex does IT work, mostly on PCs, and it seems like every day he's dealing with yet another bunch of virii out there on the Internet. Sorry, I prefer not to deal with that.

docandraider.com -- the collected cartoons of Doc and Raider

ariannah ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 11:13 AM

Why?

Hmmm.......18+ years Mac user.  Have owned (6) different models starting with the Classic II and with only 2 exceptions in 18 yrs, never had a problem with any of them.  Both times the problems occurred, Apple Care took care of everything quickly with no questions asked.

Recently I was cleaning out my garage and came across my powerbooks 540c and Lombard. I still remember the sales pitch about the 540c's ethernet capabilities.  I had no clue what the bejabbers that meant & went "HUH?!".   Although both are now ancient by today's standards, they both still work.  Hung on to them because at one time, Japanese collectors were quite hot for these items.

Stability & lack of viruses.  Or is it virii?  Always wondered, lol.  You can't discount a stable OS that's reliable and I always cringe when reading what PC users often go through re: OS crashes and virus attacks.

Business reasons:  in my area of the film industry, Macs are the computer of choice.  Without mine, I would have a tough time finding work. ;)

Overall reasons:  Stability (dontcha wonder why that keeps coming up as a reason? ;), reliability and overall they are just plain fun to use.  Can't wait for the rumored overhall of the macbook pros - I'll be drooling like an idiot savant until I get mine.

I've always said whatever floats your boat, go with it.  I have nothing against PC users - if it woofles your tooters than stay with it!  However for me, you couldn't pry my Macs from me.  And now with the options the intel based Macs have opened up for us to use software-wise, I like the available options for me to choose from.  IMO, options are always good.

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 11:56 AM · edited Thu, 01 May 2008 at 12:03 PM

Another reason to buy a Mac is that you want a fast Windows computer:

Quote - "The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows."

source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html 😉

jerr3d ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 12:03 PM

i often see threads of PC users asking why they should get a Mac but i cant recall ever seeing a Mac user asking why they should get a PC

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 12:15 PM · edited Thu, 01 May 2008 at 12:15 PM

":.....The $2419....."

is probably why I'll never be able to afford to own a Mac. I'm quite happy with my $899 quad core Gateway.  I'd have to be able to get four times as much done with the Mac, to be able to justify it.

Of course, if I had money for luxuries, I'd probably buy a Mac, and a mercedes and a lavish house. Untill then, I have to settle for a working stiff's PC, towhnome, Ford or a Chevrolet.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 12:34 PM

Same here, Connie.. if I could get the same horsepower and value in a mac system as a PC system, I might consider them, but I just can't justify spending 3 times the cash to do the exact same job.

And when I look at my home network of 4 systems, while I probably have $4000 in them, I'd have had to spend $10,000 on them if they were all Macs... and the nearest product  support center for Mac product is 2 hours highway away from me. So everything Id want to buy would have to be internet order only, and some thing I prefer to buy on local sales, and prefer local support on.

And with gas prices and general prices spiralling upward out of control, and the dollar devaluing daily, I'm counting every single nickle and dime.

When I ever get rich, I'll buy a Mac laptop as a toy.. but odds are that'll be 10 years from now, if ever.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 12:50 PM

Also, If I had three grand to splurge on computers, I'd probably buy three or four PC's and build a render farm.

And with gas prices and general prices spiralling upward out of control, and the dollar devaluing daily, I'm counting every single nickle and dime.

Yeah, tell me about it! Due to the housing industry in recession, I was laid off a month ago. 30+ firms I know around here, noone is hiring or givingout any part time work. Government around here has a hiring freeze too.  In 20 years I've been in this business, I've never seen it this dead! I never had troubl findining work in the past. Between little bit of savings and unemployment insurance and occasional contract, I hope we survive till things start moving again.

Anyway, sorry about the digression....

Gareee ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 1:43 PM

Least is I create poser content from home, I'm not driving using up gas...LOL!

RonGC ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 1:51 PM

Come up here to Canada, the construction industry is booming and cant get enough tradesmen if you are in trades you can earn 100,000-150,000 a year no problem.

Always room for more skilled people.

Ron

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 2:19 PM

Quote -  Come up here to Canada, the construction industry is booming and cant get enough tradesmen if you are in trades you can earn 100,000-150,000 a year no problem.

Always room for more skilled people.

Ron

Civil Engineering, Land Surveying, GIS and Architectural Visualizations here.
That's how it was over here for last 20 years.  At the moment, with the mortgage crisis, every major developer I know of has halted progress of new construction. Some developers till 2009, some till 2010. They figure that's how long it'll take them to sell off curent inventory.
At least during the last recession, in the early 90's, the government was still building stuff. Right now, most of them are over budget or in hiring freezes (State budget crisis - california)

I have a proposal out for a small arch viz project, about two months worth of fees. I hope I hear back on it by the end of the week. I'm on pins and needles about it. Initial feedback was good. Now I'm waithing for a signed contract and a kickoff.  - it's a nail biter when you don't have any other work going.

Next couple of years will be one month at the time!  Also trying to crank out some poser content in the meantime. Hoping to resurrect my little company.  Like Garee said, at lest I'm not using much gas right now!

RonGC ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 2:27 PM

Yeah i hear you, it probably would have helped the housing industry ride through this recession if the US government wouldn't have slapped a 35% tarrif on Canadian lumber imports, new homes would have stayed cheaper and people could still afford to buy.

Got to love the big business lobby groups, hurt everyone else so that they can profit.

Ron

Synpainter ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 2:39 PM

Quote -   Also trying to crank out some poser content in the meantime. Hoping to resurrect my little company.  Like Garee said, at lest I'm not using much gas right now!

And anxiously awaiting :)

Best part is it... will work on a MAC too!

What was the question?

Oh yeah, I'll just throw this out there... Being a life long (well computer using anyway) Apple/Mac user, I personally have not spent much time on a Windows based machine, I think the majority from each camp, come from having their first experience on that platform and just staying with it.

I like my Macs because they are comfortable to me. Whereas a Windows machine "Seems" very cumbersome, although I am sure that would change if I where to use one for some time.

I have had several friends that made the jump to a Mac, simply because they came over to may place and used mine for awhile and found it very intuitive.

On the lines of expense, you are all absolutely correct Macs are not cheap seat in the house, but Mac users are not Cult members, a bunch of Rich kids, though some are, or anything other than people that are comfortable in the platform.

I do not believe for a single second that My Mac is Better than any PC, but my application and use it suits me just fine... all 3 of them.... G3, G4,  iMac, all purchased as demos BTW ;p

my .02

-Syn

Synpainter ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 2:46 PM

Oh and you can always do this with it when your done: 

Click Me  :)

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 3:07 PM

*On the lines of expense, you are all absolutely correct Macs are not cheap seat in the house, but Mac users are not Cult members, a bunch of Rich kids, though some are, or anything other than people that are comfortable in the platform.

*Oh, I hear ya! I just wish I can talk myself into spending the money. That's the number one rea$on why I don't use a Mac.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 4:23 PM · edited Thu, 01 May 2008 at 4:26 PM

Quote - ":.....The $2419....."

is probably why I'll never be able to afford to own a Mac. I'm quite happy with my $899 quad core Gateway.  I'd have to be able to get four times as much done with the Mac, to be able to justify it.

Actually, amortization already does that for you.

I bought my main CG box (a Mac dual G5) in 2004... four years ago. I could very conceivably continue to stretch it out until 2009 if I desired. I have yet to see any OEM-built PC last past three years of hard use... either the parts die off, the OS demands an upgrade that the box isn't capable of supporting, etc...

So I could either continue using the dual G5 until 2009, and have the $2100 originally spent on it amortize down to $350/yr for reasonable high-end performance throughout the majority of its lifespan. Stretch it out to 2010, and it drops to $300/yr.

Or... I could buy a $900 box every three years, plus OS/Antivirus/etc upgrades as they come out, which comes to just a little over the same amount - just that you have to deal with such things as bitrot and obsolescence in the meanwhile.

/P

Elfwine ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 4:38 PM

Weeeeeeell... its been an interesting thread so far, but we have yet to hear from Acadia who started this thread with a question to us (mostly) Mac users on why we stick with the platform. Acadia... (tap tap) come in, Acadia. Are you there?

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!  ; )

zai ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 5:39 PM

Quote - I always get asked this question a lot:

Short answer:

I got a bluetooth wireless adapter for an older MAC.  It came with a CD & 3 1/2 pages of instructions on how to install the drivers so that it would work under windows.

MAC instructions:

Plug device into a USB port. 

That was it.

Everything ssgbryan said I agree with pretty much completely. > Quote - is probably why I'll never be able to afford to own a Mac. I'm quite happy with my $899 quad core Gateway.  I'd have to be able to get four times as much done with the Mac, to be able to justify it.

You will..guaranteed. Peng..."Actually, amortization already does that for you. " Exactly. My current mac is 5 years old. It wasn't until just this year I even decided to add ram, taking it from 2.5G to 6.5G. If something DOES happen, my G4 that's about 9 years old will fire up immediately, running the same software I have on this one and I may be a bit slower, but still completely functional. I shop online anyway so ordering things online is no hassle. If I need to go to an actual store..there's Apple stores all over now. Or Fry's. Or CompUSA. A lot of software comes bundled as PC and Mac as well. Times I've reinstalled the OS: 0 Times I've reinstalled ANY software at all: 0 Times I've had to call Apple for service: 0 Times my computer has been down for ANY reason: 0 Number of viruses I've had with NO firewall ever: 0 It runs 24 hours a day, under fairly heavy load about 16 hours a day. My version of normal use is having 2 broswers, FTP, 2-3 200MB+Photoshop files open plus assorted smaller ones, Illustrator, Quark, Email, plus I may be watching a movie as well. That's 5 YEARS folks. Imagine how much downtime a normal PC has in that time. I get annoyed when my computer even THINKS about hesitating for a command, so for me to still be happy with it with no reason to buy another 5 years in is pretty much a testament to the quality. And its not because I can't afford it. I don't NEED it. I get on a PC and I feel like I'm suddenly locked into cube. It's painful. Watching my PC friends have a system meltdown or a virus panic on a regular basis is painful as well. I just have to shake my head. Why would anyone put UP with that nonsense? If your car had a melt down and the engine had to be rebuilt every 3-6 months you'd think it was a lemon. If you had to update 6 things before you could use it every few days/weeks it would make you insane. Why would you accept that from something you use all day long? It's not about being a snob, although I admittedly AM an Apple snob. It's about whether or not YOU are using the computer, or the COMPUTER is using you. How much is your time worth to you?

Rendo Store | Freebies | RDNA Store

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 5:46 PM

Quote - > Quote - ":.....The $2419....."

Actually, amortization already does that for you.

I bought my main CG box (a Mac dual G5) in 2004... four years ago. I could very conceivably continue to stretch it out until 2009 if I desired. I have yet to see any OEM-built PC last past three years of hard use... either the parts die off, the OS demands an upgrade that the box isn't capable of supporting, etc...

So I could either continue using the dual G5 until 2009, and have the $2100 originally spent on it amortize down to $350/yr for reasonable high-end performance throughout the majority of its lifespan. Stretch it out to 2010, and it drops to $300/yr.

Or... I could buy a $900 box every three years, plus OS/Antivirus/etc upgrades as they come out, which comes to just a little over the same amount - just that you have to deal with such things as bitrot and obsolescence in the meanwhile.

/P

Computer before the one I use right now was a $699 E-machine, bought in early 2005, That amortizes to $200 a year by now, and still going strong. So does my 2001 Sony Vaio which was around $1100. That one amortizes to about $150 a year.   Early 2008 I bought quad core Gateway for $899, and a year and a half ago I got my honey an easy to use mid to low end HP, for $399 (He doesn't do graphics or any high end use, just email and word.)  Since 2001, I have four computers here for just over $3000.

I don't chase OS and software upgrades as they come out, saves you a lot of money, and they're definately something one can live without. What OS comes with the computer pretty much stays on it till the computer dies, with the exception of service packs. If you use AVG antivirus, it's free.

ajtooley ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 5:47 PM

Quote - How much is your time worth to you?

I was just about to add that.

Also, I was discussing computers with an acquaintance some weeks ago, and he was detailing his adventures with Dell customer service. He asked me how long I had to wait when I called Apple for service, and I told him I'd never had to call. He asked how long I've owned Apples. When I said twenty years, he grew quiet and thoughtful.

zai ( ) posted Thu, 01 May 2008 at 6:23 PM · edited Thu, 01 May 2008 at 6:24 PM

LOL...try buying mac software through Dell. We have a Dell account because my hubby and son are on PCs. I can't navigate their website much less their customer service. I do particularly like how they structure thier warranties though. You cannot purchase a warranty on their Dell business credit. You must pay cash to extend. Wonder why THAT is? In fact, my sys admin hubby whose hobby is writing operating systems for Linux has finally had enough of his PC and is moving to Mac this year. No more lost email, system meltdowns, and endless updates. I can't wait to see a switch live before my eyes and see how he adapts. zai

1358 ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2008 at 8:34 AM

I use both (and occasionally some of my old Amigas as well), and I can say for certanty, my next big computer will be a Mac..... Currently my big computer is a Lenovo,  with all the bells and whistles...
PC... stress, strain, pain, reboot, reload, de-virus, de-bug, de-zombie, change from Internet Exploder to Firefox rebuild.... scream, yell, resist urge to toss into the river, because that would be environmentally unsound....
Mac.... graphics, animation, edit video, sound design.... but try and find gaming software for it...
Macs aren't for snobs.... snobs only think they are.
buying another used Mac this week... a G4.... if you can't afford new, go used... dealers always have trade ins that they have to get rid of.

zai ( ) posted Sat, 03 May 2008 at 8:37 AM

Well...I finally stopped playing WOW, but it does do one of the mainstream ones quite fine, headset, macros & all. There's other games, but WOW's the biggest I think for Mac.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.