Sun, Sep 22, 3:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Fencing gear

Glas ( ) posted Sat, 16 June 2001 at 9:40 PM ยท edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:35 AM

Sorry I am not looking to corral livestock. But gear for the sport of fencing. Tennis shoes and baseball pants can do in a spot if need be. The jacket mask and foil I guessing is going to have to be created cause I can't find any for the life of me. One male and female would be nice but I can live with just male cloths for now. Thanks Glas

hauksdottir ( ) posted Sun, 17 June 2001 at 1:05 AM

Try 3dcafe for the foil and mask. I'm not sure where else to suggest. (Split-rail and picket fencing would be much easier!) I think I've seen a basket-hilt rapier somewhere (Willjen?), which might be modifed. It seems that there was also a grilled-face helmet worn by some gladiators (the guys with tridents and nets) on one of the sites, so you might search under helmets, too. There are knee pads and such for skateboarders: if fencers wear padded bits, you can look to see what the other sports offer in way of protection. Good luck in teh search! Carolly

Dogface ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 3:59 PM

I am currently working on a foil (Italian grip) that will have a bendable blade for touches. My next project would be two masks (one sized for the Dork, one for Posette). Jacket and knickers will have to wait until I'm any good at doing conforming clothing.

Glas ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 5:54 PM

Thanks for the info. I would like to see your mask and jacket when they are finished and possible use them. The possible blade is a nice touch I did not think of. If you could convert it to a french grip by taking off the ring I would definatly be inerested. once again thanks Glas

Dogface ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 8:12 PM

Unfortunately, the difference between Italian and French grips is more than just rings and quillions. The Italian also has a ricasso, thus, it is actually held further "forward" along the entire length of the grip than is the French. (Someone I faced found out that pommeling an Italian can give one inch more reach than pommeling the French--although sentiment de fer goes right out the window). Likewise, the French handle is not straight but has a complex assymetrical curve along its length--which is why one has right-handed and left-handed French foils. Italian foils are ambidextrous. Unfortunately, I don't have a French weapon on hand, nor have I had more than cursory examination of them, as all my Maitre's teaching foils for adults are straight-handled with an old-fashioned "butterfly" guard. I'll see what I can do.

Dogface ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2001 at 8:13 PM

One more thing: For the sake of sanity, I'm going to see if I can make the mesh of the mask a fairly simple "smooth" model surface and apply the "holes" and "over-under wire" effect with transparency and bump maps. Otherwise, it would have far too many vertices.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.