Wed, Sep 18, 1:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: ---> Poser 7 Service Release 3 Now Available

MaskimXul ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 11:09 AM

Quote - Please only select 'Remove existing preference files' or 'Backup existing preference files' during updater installation if you intend to do that. Yes, those options will return Poser to the factory state, including the runtime library setup.

If you want to continue with your current preferences, please choose 'Use existing preference files' instead.

Crap! I chose 'Backup existing preference files'. Any way to restore it?

Faery_Light ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 11:34 AM · edited Thu, 10 July 2008 at 11:35 AM

I kept a copy of the original serial from their site when I first downloaded my P7. I copied and pasted to the upgrade sr3 and no problems downloading. Now for the install, if I don't do something silly...sigh.

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

zollster ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 12:09 PM

its naffed up occlusion master and unimesh realism kit. thgey both come up with errors and won't run

uli_k ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 12:22 PM

MaskimXul, what platform are you on? Mac or Windows?

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 12:26 PM

Quote -
Crap! I chose 'Backup existing preference files'. Any way to restore it?

on a windows machine.

go to
c:documents and settings[user name]application data

there should be 2 Poser 7 direcories.

on that just says Poser 7, and one with some numbers after it (its a time and date stamp)

The one with the numbers is the old one, the one that is just Poser 7 is the new one.

copy your files from the old to the new.

put your Dots directory (if you have one) inside the English directory. I think this may be a change in this version and it seems to be the only thing you have to do diffrent in restoring the settings

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

uli_k ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 12:31 PM

TygerPurr, thanks a lot for the explanation. In case you want to do this under Vista, the location is c:Users[user name]AppDataRoamingPoser 7

Yes, as stated in the readme, some prefs changed their location: "-Memory dots and custom UI preferences now stored in language-specific sub-directory to facilitate concurrent installation of multiple Poser versions."

uli_k ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 12:42 PM

zollster, there were problems with Tkinter 8.3 that forced us to update that component. Here's a quote from the readme:

"PoserPython

-Updated to Tkinter 8.4. (Windows) NOTE: Please contact script developer if compatibility issues with Tkinter are encountered."

It could be that Occlusion Master and Unimesh Realism Kit use this component for their user interface and are affected by the update.

zollster ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 12:58 PM

well tkinter is evil!!! :)

MaskimXul ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 1:05 PM

Quote - MaskimXul, what platform are you on? Mac or Windows?

Windows, Running Vista.
I dug around and figured it out. I think.
In C:UsersUSERAppDataRoaming I found the two folders that Tyger_purr mentioned,
the newly created one, and the old one.
JIC I messed up, I copied the new one elsewhere.
I copied the info from the old to the new, seems to be running ok..

3-DArena ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 1:20 PM · edited Thu, 10 July 2008 at 1:22 PM

Quote - I just noticed another long-needed change that isn't listed in the
readme for the SR.  The title of the PZ3 now appears on the top
bar of the application, where it's more readable and more expected.

Good job!

Uhm I've always had the pz3 name there?

edit, Oh now I see it in your pic on the application window - well that is handy

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 1:57 PM · edited Thu, 10 July 2008 at 1:58 PM

I suspect most Poserites don't concentrate on the PZ3, so it's not very important
for them.  When I'm doing "serious" stuff, I have to keep lots of PZ3s with names
like "Chapter-2-Lesson-5-Cochlea-Closeup-2-revised.pz3".  

Poser's preview window title chopped these off so that I couldn't tell which scene I'm
currently using.  The top bar will always show the full filename no matter how long it gets.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 2:02 PM

Hey, they fixed the first bucket render artifact!  Maybe they aint such bad folk afterall.

ockham ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 2:54 PM

By golly, I think you're right.  Can't quite prove it, because the artifact was
a slippery and intermittent thing, but I've tried some scenes that I remember
as having weird stuff in the upper left corner, and it's not there now.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 3:23 PM

face_off's stuff is easy to fix, If you're getting an error about an ambiguous parameter name, to do with -col, -column, etc.

There's a line of code that has col=something in a call to the Tk stuff. change it to column=something and it should be fixed.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 3:24 PM

So how is this new SR3 work for Vue users? Is the file system like Poser pro? Vue doesn't play well with poser pro from what I understand.

My Facebook Page

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 3:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=3257855&ebot_calc_page#message_3257855

The Tk problem showed up in Poser Pro first. Follow the link to see if its the same problem you were having. The linked post has the error message in it. If that's your error message, do the column=0 fix.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

uli_k ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 3:50 PM

Yes, Poser Pro and Poser 7 SR3 both run on Tkinter 8.4.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 6:12 PM

Quote - Yes, Poser Pro and Poser 7 SR3 both run on Tkinter 8.4.

I am afraid I am a wee bit lost what the blazes is Tkinter 8.4 and how does this relate to Vue?

My Facebook Page

zollster ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 6:34 PM

thats the error i got...i'll try it. thanks

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 8:02 PM · edited Thu, 10 July 2008 at 8:02 PM

Quote - > Quote - Yes, Poser Pro and Poser 7 SR3 both run on Tkinter 8.4.

I am afraid I am a wee bit lost what the blazes is Tkinter 8.4 and how does this relate to Vue?

It doesn't relate - your post got caught in the middle of a thread within the thread, regarding errors with face_off's stuff. Which are now fixed.

Now about Vue .... sorry I don't know nothin' about that  :)

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 11:25 PM

Thanks to a quick response, I got the update. :)
I'll hold off installing for the moment though. Just in case.

Greywolf

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 10 July 2008 at 11:57 PM

I got it and installed, bit flaky in the material room. Restarted computer and it seems to be running better now. So it might be wise for all to reboot before testing and judging.

I have a dual boot so I have it it installed on both xp32 and xp64. I updated the 32 os. So if there are problems I will still have the good install on my 64 os. LOL Cover my backside more these days than I used to,

sweetpegster ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 1:51 PM

file_409848.jpg

I just updated and now I have a weird issue. I am not sure what to do with it. I have spaces between body parts that where not there prior. zero posing her only fixes a few but when rendered they are noticible.

DefaultGuy ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 3:05 PM

Hi sweetpegster,

In the Display menu, is Bend Body Parts unchecked? That might be the issue here. Please make sure it's checked and the display issue should go away.

Thanks,
-B

sweetpegster ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 3:41 PM

Ohhh thank You, thank You. that fixed it.  :)

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 4:07 PM

So far the SR3 is causing my Poser 7 to act weird.  The Material room is acting retarded. It's reaction to any clicking is very retarded in time. Before it would respond within 1 to 3 seconds, now it's response is retarded to 15 seconds to 2.5 minutes.

The renders are completely unpredictable. I had a set of renders that I have benchmarked as six hours in Poser 6. The first one ran in about 55 minutes.  Hooray for that!  The second one, I cut off after 28 hours+ when the progress bar was still at about 80% complete. Boo on that! I removed all the advanced material shaders and it seems to be rendering at some speed now and might actually render in six hours.

Rendering four threads is strange to watch now. Before it would render as normal, now it splits the screen into quarters and render each quarter seperately . Strange but usually gets the job done.

That is ALL the time I've had to experiment with.  The renders DO look better, so I can't complain too much so far.

Redoing the preferences was NOT a big deal. Wasn't like rebuilding your house after a flood or something. LOLOLOLOL :lol:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 4:16 PM · edited Fri, 11 July 2008 at 4:16 PM

Hmmm, my P7 has always rendered with screen in quarters...  Maybe there's a setting somewhere.

Looks like they fixed one set of render artifacts, and introduced some new ones.  Oiii !

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

uli_k ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 4:41 PM · edited Fri, 11 July 2008 at 4:44 PM

Quote - So far the SR3 is causing my Poser 7 to act weird.  The Material room is acting retarded. It's reaction to any clicking is very retarded in time. Before it would respond within 1 to 3 seconds, now it's response is retarded to 15 seconds to 2.5 minutes.

Do you have an ATI graphics card or chipset? If yes, then please update your graphics driver. If you deleted your preferences during installation of SR3 and the problem appeared, then you might have previously had the workaround for the driver problem enabled that we shipped in SR2.1. You could still do that, but at this point it's better to just get the improved driver from ATI/AMD.

Quote - Rendering four threads is strange to watch now. Before it would render as normal, now it splits the screen into quarters and render each quarter seperately . Strange but usually gets the job done..

Rendering in four threads was always done in four quadrants, no change there. If you had 'Render in separate process' enabled previously, it might have looked like it did it all at once due to how the results are read back.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 5:10 PM

Quote - Hmmm, my P7 has always rendered with screen in quarters...  Maybe there's a setting somewhere.

You have multi-threaded rendering turned on (Edit | General Preferences... | Render tab | Render Process | Number of Threads)

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 6:02 PM

So Far So Good.

PilotHigh ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 6:20 PM

Trouble on mac here. Updated to SR3 and renders are crashing where they did not before. Sometimes my undo is greyed out - especially when I really need it! Saving, loading and rendering are all very lonnnnggggg now. It seems to me P7 was like this at the beginning but SR2 fixed it - now we're back to square one.

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 6:21 PM

NO ATI cards on my render machine. I don't remember if I had ''Render in separate process' checked or not. It overwrote my preferences and didn't back them up.

New problem noted. Random crashes to desktop when deleting props and figures.  Sometimes it does crash, sometimes it doesn't. I have yet to determine why the app is crashing when deleting.

My Poser 7 installation had been rock-solid without ANY glitches, or crash to the desktop problems at all.  I've read about such from other users, but never EVER had that problem before.  I am VERY dismayed to experience such now. As such, I am not a happy customer now. :glare:

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

akura_ ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 9:57 PM

Its working great for me as for validating goes. just make sure your not putting in O instead of 0s and use the - to it should work for you guys.

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 11 July 2008 at 11:35 PM

Another very important fix that isn't mentioned in the readme:

Posing camera no longer locks up when you change from one figure to another!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

ice-boy ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 12:38 AM

i dont like what i am reading. this service pack should make it better not worse.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 1:38 PM

I have the SE version of Poser 7 and my updated downloaded no problem.

Make sure you are using capitols and dashes when you put in the serial code.

Tirjasdyn

mwafarmer ( ) posted Sat, 12 July 2008 at 2:42 PM

Quote - i dont like what i am reading. this service pack should make it better not worse.

Don't panic. I downloaded and installed SR3 as soon as it was announced and have been using it  heavily with no problems. I'm not sure, but I think it is even rendering faster. If you use face_off's Python scripts, there is a fix for them elsewhere in the forums.

Mike

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 12:36 PM

Hmmm. I think I'll stay away from SR3 for the time being. When I use Poser 7, I use Python
quite a bit. I don't have the time to repair every script that SR3 breaks. Heck, P7 gives me
enough trouble as it is, don't need more. I use it mainly for the Cloth Room, Hair Room and
Rigging. Poser crashes so often and so randomly, especially during renders, I had to shift
to DS just to get renders done. If this was fixed in SR3, that's one big plus, but the Python
thing is a BIG minus, to me anyway. :)

Greywolf

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 1:15 PM

I had to reinstall Poser after I had installed the SR3.
Suddenly Poser told me that there was an error and it needs to shut down, Textures where not seen, Figure and clothes hair and everyting was just white and only texture was seen after the render.

I have it back now as it was before and all works fine.

Has anyone else this problems after installiing SR3?
Raindroptheelf

ice-boy ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 1:41 PM

this is the first time in the last 2 years where i read comments like this for SP.  to many people ahve problems . this has to be SP problems.

redtiger7 ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 7:00 PM

Gah! I just installed it and now I can no longer load from the collections folder. WTF??????

Latexluv ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 7:51 PM

Real Skin Shader python script does not work properly after the update. It now says that there is errors in the python script in several lines. sigh

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 9:30 PM

Quote - Real Skin Shader python script does not work properly after the update. It now says that there is errors in the python script in several lines. sigh

sr3 updated the version of Tkinter.

to fix real skin python, open it up and do a find/replace.

find: col=
replace with: column=

Tkinter is the python user interface that realskin (and several other python programs)
uses. any python script that has buttons and controls similar to realskin may need this same change.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

cherokee69 ( ) posted Sun, 13 July 2008 at 10:09 PM · edited Sun, 13 July 2008 at 10:09 PM

I was working on a scene in Poser 7 (stonemason's Backstreets, a couple vehicles, and bagginsbill's shaders). Poser 7 was working fine and rendering with now problems. I downloaded SR3 and installed it...no problems, it kept my preferences and runtimes. I then loaded the scene I was working on and started rendering. Seems slower with SR3 and my processor fan is now running at full speed alot. It didn't do that before I installed SR3.

Anyone have any ideas or thought on this?

Thanks

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2008 at 1:35 AM

**Tyger_purr, okay, I've made that change in the script and resaved it. I'll see if this fixes the problem. Thanks for the suggested fix.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

Greebo ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2008 at 2:51 AM

Quote - I had to reinstall Poser after I had installed the SR3.
Suddenly Poser told me that there was an error and it needs to shut down, Textures where not seen, Figure and clothes hair and everyting was just white and only texture was seen after the render.

I have it back now as it was before and all works fine.

Has anyone else this problems after installiing SR3?
Raindroptheelf

I had this problem too. The first time it did this I was working on quite a heavy scene so I thought it was maybe too many texture calls. But it happened again on a single clothed v4. The odd thing was that poser loaded all textures -except- the clothing textures on both scenes. I rolled back to 2.1 which has been stable for me.

Raindroptheelf ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2008 at 3:09 AM

Can some one point me to the place at SM to find the 2.1 update?
I want to put it back on, thought I had saved it but had not.

After the SR3 horror I had to reinstall Poser 7 again and need to update.
All I see on SM is the upgrade to Poser 7 pro , the download for SR3 , then update 2.1 but just for Mac. pffffft
Thank you for your help.
Raindroptheelf

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2008 at 8:04 AM

Odds are a clean reinstall, and sr3 will get you working perfectly.. and there are a LOT of fixes to things like the hair and cloth room, how poser actually works n such, that are well worth the upgrade hassle.

I've installed the P7sr3 in beta form about 30 times now, and not once had any issues at all.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

evilded777 ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2008 at 4:06 PM

Anyone else running 64 bit XP?

I have tried to install SR3 twice now, and when trying to use Python scripts I get an ugly application error that says MSVCR71.dll was unable to load.

Methinks it is part of the C++ redistributable, and it doesn't seem to be getting loaded properly.

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 14 July 2008 at 4:33 PM · edited Mon, 14 July 2008 at 4:34 PM

The MSVCR71.dll isn't part of Poser's own install.  Looking at the
main directory, Poser uses MSVCR80.dll, with a date that matches
the original Poser 7.  If a script specifically calls for MSVCR71, it must
have installed the dll on its own. 

You could try to download MSVCR71 from various places on the web,
then put it in the main Poser folder. These DLLs are available free from
lots of places.   Google will show you where.....

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.