Sat, Sep 21, 4:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: The dreaded sliding feet

JanP ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 6:54 PM ยท edited Fri, 30 August 2024 at 5:43 AM

So we all who have tried to animate have probably had trouble with sliding feet at one time or another when using BVH files. The zygote/DAZ supplied BVH's appear to change the makeup of the Poser characters. For example when you are positioning an appendage you already know that the Y axis is up/down, x axis is left/right and the z axis is foward backward. Now apply a BVH. Now look in the raph editor. Select a foot. you will see that now it is the x axis that controls foward/backword movement of the foot. Not the z axis. Anyway I wanted to stop the feet from sliding when they are on the ground. If a fott is acurately pllanted on the ground and no sliding, its x axis graph line will be perfectly flat. This is indeed what you see in Poser but guess what. The foot is no planted at all but indeed still slides. I then began to think that it was another appendage causing the sliding affect like a shin , thigh or even the hip. But they also appear to be graphed correctly. Its as if the BVH is actually walking in place but being pulled on a string. Exactly how the walk designer appears. Seems to me that adding something in poser to firmly loc the feet on the ground at a given frame should have been terribly easy to implement. Alas I am not a program and forget about Python. I might as well be trying to read martian. Any ideas? JanP

breathless ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 7:04 PM

Isn't this how IK turned on for that foot works? If you turn on IK the foot is locked in place.

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 7:19 PM

Sliding feet is usually a result of the Z-trans on the hip or body channels. It generally takes a somewhat compex series of key frames in this channel to get rid of the sliding feet... basically at one part of the step your character needs to accelerate and in the other part it needs to decelerate.

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 7:47 PM

Would that be...acceleration upon the impact of the step, and, deceleration as the figure settles back down into standing position...you know...going to the heel?

JanP ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 8:01 PM

IK is suppose to help this but when importing a BVH or using the Walk desiginer to create initial movement. The IK means absolutely nothing. Imean the feet will not lock down. I have tried to keeframe the foot so that it does stay put uppon impact but always with poor results. I'll take a look at the hip z axis but again The BVH file seems to change things. I'll double check that hip. Acceleration would occur as the foot is leaving the ground. Deceleration would occur just after the foot passes the top of the arc of the foots path and then continue to a brief stopping point when it actually hits the ground before beginning to accelerate again. JanP

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 9:23 PM

I'm currently making models for a RPG game, someone else is doing the animations. When I get the animated PZ3 file back I get.... yep sliding feet. All I do is open the PZ3 in an editor and delete the x, y and z Translate data in the channels section of both feet. This cures the problem and the animation works correctly.
Not saying that this is the full solution, but it works for what I am doing.
philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

JanP ( ) posted Thu, 21 June 2001 at 10:10 PM

Hmmmm. Thanks Phil. I'll have to look into that.

Director ( ) posted Fri, 22 June 2001 at 7:56 AM

Hey look into trying to run te BHV through Life Forms. It really helped clean up several of the animations I created in poser, exported as BHV.

JanP ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 1:32 AM

Yeah, I'd like lifeforms but that takes cash.

Director ( ) posted Sat, 23 June 2001 at 8:29 AM

Test drive the full version limited time demo at www.charactermotion.com it will come in the mail and last about a month.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.