Sun, Sep 22, 12:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: New monitors ???

Trepz ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 11:34 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:39 AM

Greets all,

I am in the market for a new monitor and have a couple of choices over here and wanted to know what your experiance is. I am looking at either a 27 inch Dell widescreen monitor, or for about 1000 less i can get a 32 inch Sony HDTV that has a plug for computer use. What would you recomend. I ask as i have never ran or seen anyone run a pc through a television.

"Many are willing to suffer for their art. Few are willing to learn to draw."

jgmart ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hey Paul -  I've been using my 32" Samsung HDTV as my monitor for a few months now - there's no way I could ever go back to a smaller or less quality monitor. Even for apps like VUE, just moving objects around is so much easier to see. I set the source (on the tv) to "Just Scan" and the display fits the screen perfectly.  So now I use it as both my TV and pc monitor.  I'm going to add a second smaller display - like a 19" or something,  to use with Painter and Photoshop which take advantage of dual displays. 

garyandcatherine ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 3:49 PM

I have a 24" Dell WS monitor and absolutely love it.  It took me 2 weeks to get over the CRT feel but once I did, well like jgmart said, I will never go back.

If you use your monitor for other functions as well, such as video games, just make sure it has a FAST draw/refresh rate.  Mine is 5 ms (milliseconds).  A fast monitor is absolutely essential if you play intense FPS games--especially online FPS games.  Nothings worse than gettin fragged by some dumb schmo because your monitor couldn't keep up with you.

BTW--I am drooling all over my desk at what jgmart has got.

One other thing, make sure your monitor can support high resolutions.    I would bet jgmarts cant go above 1080.  While it might be ok for 3d apps, it would suck for Photoshop,painter etc where you absolutely must work in high res.

My dell is set to 1900x1440 and that is more than enough for my 3d and 2d needs.  Also, make sure you get one that supports resolution settings that are compatable with  your graphics card or if you are going to be upgrading your card then make sure it's not overkill.  No sense in paying for a monitor that supports 3000x2500 settings if you will never use it that high or ever get a graphics card that will go that high.

I would love to know what you finally settle upon.  Give us a pic of it when you get it hooked up.

GL

G.

Trepz ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 9:29 PM

I would really like to get the 32" HDTV as it is cheaper and goes with my black and blue scheme however I am worried about my games and such.And the fact that refresh rates and such as well. I have an Nvidia 8800 GTS with 640M onboard and 4G DDR2 RAM so i dont think it'll be an issue,but ya never know. Asside from my games I am running Vue CInema4D and a couple of paint programs. I aslo have my WACOM now. I will certainly pos a pic of my final result:D

Xpleet ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2008 at 6:39 PM

The longer you spend time on your pc, the bigger your monitor should be.

Trepz ( ) posted Tue, 19 August 2008 at 9:23 PM

Attached Link: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t50187.html

Hm, as i am off work for holidays i spend about 12-15 hours a day at my machine sometimes so i guess i should just get the 52 inch:D Then i come across articles like this during my research and it makes me paranoid.

Trepz ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 12:47 PM

Alright, I have my new monitor. I opted for a 32" Samsung Full HD 1080p (whatever that is) And it has a max resolution of 1920x1080...but all i can get out of it is 1360x768, and that is with a program called PowerStrip. without it my monitor says everything over 1280x1024 is unsupported...now is this a monitor issue do you think, or is it my video card..which is Nvidia 8800GTS.

andytw ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 3:28 PM

How are you connecting the computer to the TV?

If you are using the VGA input on the TV then it may not support the Full HD (1920x1080) resolution, it's hard to tell without knowing the model number of your TV .
You may need to connect using a DVI to HDMI cable/converter to get the full resolution.

Also if the TV has a 1:1 pixel mapping mode you should probably turn this on to stop the TV applying it's picture processing to everything. 

Trepz ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 4:02 PM

I got the full HD series 5...there supposed to be a setting in the Nvidia control panel that you can change the signal to HD or whatever, but i dont have it, and thats with the latest drivers on my 8800 GTS. I am connecting with VGA as thats what the guy who sold me the TV said i needed. He even took me to a cheaper place so i know he wasnt trying to screw me(; I got it to work in 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz but thats not the proper resolution and i dont wanna cook this baby just yet:P The picture is nice,but my text looks like shit.

andytw ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2008 at 4:40 PM · edited Fri, 22 August 2008 at 4:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=805921

Sounds like it's down to the graphic card/driver settings.

If you go to the NVidia control panel there should be an option to "manage custom timings" or similar .

If you check the HDTV  box and enable 60Hz you should be able to force a 1920x1080p setting on the graphic card.
I can't give you any more details as my 8800GTcard is currently connected to a standard P'n'P monitor and won't allow me play too much. 

1900x1200 won't harm the TV, it just rescales it to 1900x1080 and causes the text to look poor. 

Edit: attached link may help. 

Xpleet ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 12:24 AM

Quote - Alright, I have my new monitor. I opted for a 32" Samsung Full HD 1080p (whatever that is) And it has a max resolution of 1920x1080...but all i can get out of it is 1360x768, and that is with a program called PowerStrip. without it my monitor says everything over 1280x1024 is unsupported...now is this a monitor issue do you think, or is it my video card..which is Nvidia 8800GTS.

hmm even my 380 dollar 24' displays 1920x1200

Trepz ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 12:42 AM

good for you and your 380 dollar monitor...do you have anything useful to add ?

jgmart ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 7:44 AM · edited Sat, 23 August 2008 at 7:55 AM

file_412478.jpg

Hey Paul - I have the same issue. My card is older then yours though - it’s a 7600 series, but I thought that was my problem with the resolution. I had checked out all the audio/visual forums - most of what they were talking about made no sense to me - but one thing that I kept seeing was, connecting with an HDMI cable vs. the VGA was the better option. So, I bought an another HDMI cable (I use one already to connect my tv to the cable box) I hooked it up to the card and the tv but I couldn’t get it to work right.  Since I have no patience at all I switched back to the VGA - now I just keep the resolution at 768. If I’m just painting in Painter or something and I don’t care about text, I’ll set it to higher resolution. I have the smaller monitor I can use when I’m just surfing the web and don’t want the TV on and I leave that at the higher resolution.

Like I said, I have no patience so I settle for the resolution I’m getting - but I’m sure there must be an answer for this - from all the stuff I read I felt it had something to do with that HDMI connection, not sure...

You’re a gamer too so I’m sure you want awesome resolution - I don’t blame you. Sorry I can’t be of more help to you buddy .

pic of my setup attached - sorry it's blurry, I just snapped it quick with my webcam - but it'll give you an idea of my setup -

Trepz ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 1:27 PM

Attached Link: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t61279.html

Sorry for the late reply, John...what is "just scan"  I do not have it on my Series 5. Not that i know of anyway. I paid cash so the kid physically carried it over the sky bridge to my condo and hooked it up and vaguely mentioned resolution ect and left when i gave him the tip...so i am assed out here with my paper weight. I am however now running 1920x1200...but still cannot get the HD resolutions. It is a bit warped and my spheres are slight ovals,which screws me for Cinema 4D,but damn man...what a gorgeous Vue i have:D also slightly warped primatives.I MUST have my native resolution of 1920x1080 which is HD as my TV is full HD and my games look like shit..as if i am running 1024x768 on my old 1280x1024 19" I am not a cheap bastard but shit... i want what i paid for...which is HD gaming:D I found these links, which do me no good ATM. And that friggin change HD signal crap i do not have on my Nvidia panel anywhere...

andytw ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 3:16 PM

The problem could be in the windows settings for the display.

On my 8800GT if I go into display settings>advanced>monitor there is an option to "hide modes this monitor cannot display".
If I clear the check box then I'm given the option to chose 1920x1080 as an output even though my monitor doesn't support anything above 1680x1050.
This card is connected via DVI and uses driver v169.25. 

I've just checked and my old 6800GT with v84.21 drivers using a aVGA connection will allow me to choose a 1920x1080 output as well if you uncheck the "hide modes this monitor cannot display" box.

jgmart ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2008 at 3:39 PM

Hey Paul - On the Samsung (on my model), from the remote under Menu - Picture - Size - Just Scan is one of the options.  When I use that it fills the screen with the pc's output.  There are other options there; 16:9, Wide Fit, etc.  Just Scan seems to be the best setting when using it as a monitor.  It fills the screen, the text looks good, but the image is a little smushed down.  Like the layers on the right side of the Vue screen is short - you can kinda see it in my pic above.   I haven't played around with the Nvidia settings at all, mostly because I'm not sure about what to change. It's mostly been with the settings on the TV.

Trepz ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 7:22 AM

Yeah John,I now know where it is :D BECAUSE I FINALLY GOT IT FIGURED OUT !!!  And holy cow how gorgeous... This is what i did. I went to the IT  mall and got an HDMI to VGA cable and pluged it in and restarted my computer. It came on for about 3-4 seconds and looked really lousy...but had my native HD resolution of 1920x1080. Then it went blank and the TV shut off. So i rebooted a few times with the same issue. I unplugged my TV and ran in safe mode from my 19" and discovered the Nvidia control panel was gone. So i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and rebooted, but this time i plugged in both my monitors more out of agrivation than anything. Immediately the Nvidia dual monitor setup wizard comes on and sees my Samsung...by name even which for Nvidia is really saying something rather than "generic this" or generic that" I set them both up in clone mode using my HDTV as the prime  and disconnected my 19" and with a bit of playing with the setting i now have a beautifully working BIG BOY monitor:D And all of those picture sizes are now there(; One hell of a ride to get this baby working and alot of back and forth for damn sure. But i am as happy a puppy with two penises right now:D

jgmart ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 7:50 AM

All right buddy!  Glad it's working for you now. Many happy hours - Vueing, modeling, gaming, watching, etc... :)

Trepz ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 7:57 AM

Yeah, I am glad to. My games looks really good, now maybe time to go back to Vista just to get the DX-10 going on:D

Paula Sanders ( ) posted Sun, 24 August 2008 at 7:18 PM

Paul -

How far back do you need to sit when you are using the screen as a computer monitor? Glad you got it working.

Trepz ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2008 at 2:07 AM

Well ma'am I am not really sure about a "safe" distance but i am about 2.5-3 feet away from it, sometimes less out of habit to have to lean into my 19" I do not have any noticable eyestrain or anything,but i try to make a consious decission to not run it in the dark. I can actually feel the heat coming from it. So maybe i am a bit close:D

Trepz ( ) posted Mon, 25 August 2008 at 2:11 AM

Forgot to mention. Upon reformat back to Vista I installed my video drivers and then rebooted and it seen my display no problem and set it accordingly no problem. So no ,more multidisplay workaround. Nice, really nice. Thanks all for the support...that is why beyond all the propoganda and politically correct BS that goes on around here i stay...the good friends(;

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.