Thu, Sep 19, 5:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Freestuff

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, RedPhantom, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 4:48 pm)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Free Stuff Area

Free Stuff Gallery

Free Stuff Guidelines

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trick or Treat: An absolute outrage!!

Scatha ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 4:51 AM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 8:21 PM

It's Renderosity Trick or Treat!

How do you get YOUR bag full of free stuff? Enter the door below to gain entrance to the Trick or Treat Department and start loading up on stuff today!

Enter quickly, for you only have until October 31st, Halloween at 11:59pm CST system time before these freebies vanish into the night!

A FIVE DOLLAR minimum purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace lets you walk away with free items in your basket. It's that easy! Check back daily, because an additional set of new freebies will be added next week.

This has to be the most outrageous thing I ever saw, putting a pricetag on items the creators intended to be free for the entire community. Note that this applies for EVERYONE, even those that have spent sufficient amounts on the site in the past.

If your servers cannot handle the free giveaway, then don't advertise it and then slap a five dollar required purchase onto it to lower the bandwidth this way!!

Thus far, out of the three pages that were available on the site, an entire page has been taken down by their respective creators and I sincerely hope more will follow their example.

Regards,
Scatha
Pretty3D site admin

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 6:39 AM

Yes, it was a shame and R'osity handled it badly. I just emptied my cart and swore that I will never fall for such a flim flam again. I don't have money to spend on (to me) trivialities being that I live on a fixed income. I am always grateful for those freebies and the people who put them up are on my short list of prayers each day.  But what R'osity did, was inexcusable and downright mean. I guess that was the trick... :sad:  First comes the treats... :woot: then the tricks :sad: Guess greed does gets rather lame after a while.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

keihan ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 7:16 AM · edited Tue, 21 October 2008 at 7:19 AM

Quote - Yes, it was a shame and R'osity handled it badly. I just emptied my cart and swore that I will never fall for such a flim flam again. I don't have money to spend on (to me) trivialities being that I live on a fixed income. I am always grateful for those freebies and the people who put them up are on my short list of prayers each day.  But what R'osity did, was inexcusable and downright mean. I guess that was the trick... :sad:  First comes the treats... :woot: then the tricks :sad: Guess greed does gets rather lame after a while.

Although I understand the very reasons that everyone is upset and am not excusing the way things were handled, some merchants either make a living off their creations that they sell or supplement their income just so they can make ends meet. Most of us ARE NOT getting rich off our endeavors and also lived on FIXED incomes. We work very hard at creating the items we create and it is offensive to me and to them that you have, in not so many words, spit on the work we do and in our faces by calling  our creations "trivialities".  If you are grateful for those "freebies" that we work VERY VERY hard to create, then you should respect our work and what some of us do to make our income or extra income. The modeling alone on the freebie, that I put up, cost me around 36 work hours of my time and that does not include the texturing, poserizing, and testing which was nearly another 24 work hours. If in, your opinion, our creations that give to our livlihood and feed our families are "trivialities" then consider what your work and job means to you before you use such words to describe ours. Renderosity and the recent issues involving the "trick or treat" scandal aside, it seems you have lumped the merchants into the pool of "greed", you so seem to despise. We also work for a living and we also have "fixed" incomes.

Thank you,
~Will

Scatha ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:13 AM

Will, if you read correctly, ThunderStone was referring to the site, not the merchants. He even praises them for the freebies.

If you note, I work at Pretty3D's site as an admin. I know all about people who try and make a living out of this, but that still does not excuse putting a required $5 purchase in order to get what their creators intended to be free.

Where I admire what the creators do (as does TS), I simply cannot excuse that way this was handled.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:16 AM

Quote -

Although I understand the very reasons that everyone is upset and am not excusing the way things were handled, some merchants either make a living off their creations that they sell or supplement their income just so they can make ends meet. Most of us ARE NOT getting rich off our endeavors and also lived on FIXED incomes. We work very hard at creating the items we create and it is offensive to me and to them that you have, in not so many words, spit on the work we do and in our faces by calling  our creations "trivialities".  If you are grateful for those "freebies" that we work VERY VERY hard to create, then you should respect our work and what some of us do to make our income or extra income. The modeling alone on the freebie, that I put up, cost me around 36 work hours of my time and that does not include the texturing, poserizing, and testing which was nearly another 24 work hours. If in, your opinion, our creations that give to our livlihood and feed our families are "trivialities" then consider what your work and job means to you before you use such words to describe ours. Renderosity and the recent issues involving the "trick or treat" scandal aside, it seems you have lumped the merchants into the pool of "greed", you so seem to despise. We also work for a living and we also have "fixed" incomes.

Thank you,
~Will

I apologize if my statements sound harsh. I am by no mean putting down your and other's hard work . If this was the beginning of the month I would say, I'll go for it but now at the end of the month and I'm pinching pennies (I am sure you are too) then one must decide which has the highest priority, putting food on the table with the meager amount of money left over or buying something that is (IMHO) a hobby for me, guess which one it will be. I understand, vendors too have families and are on fixed income, but the way R'osity played this game, everybody loses. If in the beginning of the month, they had came out with this "charade" I might have been persuaded to part with $5.00. 

And no, I didn't lump the merchants/vendors in with R'osity I know the merchants/ vendors didn't have anything to do with the fiasco... And it wasn't their greed... No the vendors were the victims too...
After all, if no one could download their freebies, their other products would not get looked at. For me, When I download a freebie, I always go to see what they have in their store, if they are vendors. I make a mental note on what they have, what I want and I'll save up for it. For this "scandal", I didn't save up, hence it makes me mad that R'osity would pull such a stunt on both the customers and vendors.

It makes me "mad" that R'osity would play both the vendors/merchants and the customers this way. It really wasn't free... There was a fee and that in my book, make it merchandises, not freebies.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:20 AM

Quote - Will, if you read correctly, ThunderStone was referring to the site, not the merchants. He even praises them for the freebies.

If you note, I work at Pretty3D's site as an admin. I know all about people who try and make a living out of this, but that still does not excuse putting a required $5 purchase in order to get what their creators intended to be free.

Where I admire what the creators do (as does TS), I simply cannot excuse that way this was handled.

Thanks for the comment. I was typing while you posted, LOL

And by the way Will, I downloaded your gazebo. Thanks... And I do mean it.

keihan ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:30 AM · edited Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:36 AM

I see. I understand completely.

I was, however, in no way condoning what Renderosity did and was not saying that I expect you or anyone else to pay for something to get something else advertised as free. My point was that it seemed you were trivializing that any of us make money off our work and ... well.. with all the frustration from this failed promotion... perhaps all of us are quick to jump and need to be cautious not to say things a ceratin way. Perhaps I took what you were trying to say out of context. or more likely you were angry at the decision and aimed it at the admins and I took it wrongly. For that I apologize..

Anyway, I was as shocked and as disappointed as everyone else when I read last night that there was a $5 minimum to get something that I and others created for free and under the impression that they'd be delivered to everyone who wanted them for FREE. I vented my frustrations over it with my fiance last night and she understood , so I am thankful she kinda patted me on the back and said "shut up and go to sleep, the world will still be spinning when you wake up" LOL

I agree that to require a fee to get something does not make it FREE. I don't think anyone likes it when businesses tell you something is free but then tell you that you have to pay some fee or another. It is certainly an unwise and unethical move.

I apologize for any misunderstanding on my part. It is still early and I need my coffee. :o)

~Will

keihan ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:32 AM

Quote - > Quote - Will, if you read correctly, ThunderStone was referring to the site, not the merchants. He even praises them for the freebies.

Thanks for the comment. I was typing while you posted, LOL

And by the way Will, I downloaded your gazebo. Thanks... And I do mean it.

Your welcome TS , hope you enjoy ;o)

~Will

Sea80 ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 8:51 AM

Some vendors are putting their intended freebies up at other sites like Daz, so people can still get them and not pay the $5.00 charge that rendo is asking for.  Just a note and a thought for anyone who is interested.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 9:57 AM

Some,** keihan **for example, have also kindly started posting them to Freestuff here and I will do my best to approve all as soon as I see them come up.. ...

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

judee3d ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 10:13 AM · edited Tue, 21 October 2008 at 10:17 AM

Hindsight is 20/20.

I'm sorry to see this didn't work out as planned. I have to say up front that the $5.00 minimum purchase to get the freebies is a bad bad idea. It's not free if you have to pay to get it, no matter how many items you eventually get for your single purchase. I do agree with you there.

That said, I actually like the way it is set up as store items - getting to see more promo pictures on the freebies is nice. Hopefully this particular aspect won't be totally abandoned, but set up differently in the future.

So the idea itself is not a bad one. It just backfired the way it was set up.

brynna ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 10:17 AM

I want to reiterate what Bobby has said - if you post the Halloween Trick or Treat freebies here, we'll be more than happy to get them approved as quickly as possible.

I'm very grateful that the vendors created all of these wonderful things for us! It really is appreciated. :thumbupboth:

Brynna

"Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is almost always that somebody screwed up." - House

Dell Desktop XPS 8940 i9,  two 14 tb External drives, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia RTX 3060 12 GB DDR5.

Monitor - My 50 inch Hitachi TV. Works great!

Daz Studio - whatever the latest version is. Haven't decided if I'm upgrading to Poser 13 or not.

Photoshop.

I'm creating a Steampunk Tarot Deck. There's an older version in my Gallery, then a newer version.

macdubhgal ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 10:56 AM

Quote - Some vendors are putting their intended freebies up at other sites like Daz, so people can still get them and not pay the $5.00 charge that rendo is asking for.  Just a note and a thought for anyone who is interested.

Just wanted to reiterate this. There's a thread in the Daz Commons there to which several items have been posted. Thanks to the creators for their hard work. And thanks too to those working here to get resubmitted items up in Freestuff and here in the freebies threads.

Sea80 ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 11:07 AM

Ooops...I forgot to show my appreciation.

Thank you to all the vendors who put up free items for this Halloween Giveaway.  It's much appreciated.

Unlike many, I did get in here and was able to get the downloads before Rendo changed things on everyone.

Cheers to the vendors, before and after the Rendo change.

zai ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 11:41 AM

For those who wanted my freebies, I've set them up at MediaFire.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dnlizzzwmtu

Please enjoy them as intended...

I will leave the other download link up at Daz until I see it affecting any server performance on my end. So far so good, but please use this one if possible.

You're all gonna have a Happy Halloween if it kills me!

zai

Rendo Store | Freebies | RDNA Store

macdubhgal ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 11:57 AM

Jenifer Carey (VP at Renderosity) has put up an explanation, an apology, a $5 credit for those who spent to get the freebies, and a solution. Thank you Jenifer!

http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=14285

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 12:37 PM

Well that pretty much verifies what I thought had happened...good of them to take the time to resolve this issue. Hopefully there won't be another massive draw come this evening when they get the page up.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 2:25 PM

Yes, I just got the word that things are being fixed.  My freebies and all whom want will return to you soon.  Sorry again for all the sorrowful things said.  Glad to have Renderosity step up to the plate and fix this.  Sharen

keihan ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 3:04 PM

Thank you Bobby and Brynna for expediting the process of getting my freebie into the "free stuff" section. You guys are awesome! Mucho appreciated!

~Will

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 21 October 2008 at 3:06 PM

You're welcome Will...we aim to please.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.